Pelican System Selector Pro $55 at Walmart YMMV

videodrone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Pelican System Selector Pro $55 at Walmart YMMV

It was on clearance at my local Walmart and I have been looking for one on the cheap for some time, so I was happy.

Unfortunately with any Walmart deal, this is YMMV.

That's a great deal on that item... I think it's still going for at least $80 everywhere else, and from experience I can say that it works pretty well, too.

works great, but even though it supports lan connection, i still have all my consols directly connected to my router instead of patching through the pelican. all of my optical components are using it though.

just too bad it has no remote. hopefully soon.

[quote name='minos1067']just too bad it has no remote. hopefully soon.[/QUOTE]

I have seen a new version of this at Fry's, that does use a "credit-card" style remote.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I have seen a new version of this at Fry's, that does use a "credit-card" style remote.[/QUOTE]

what brand was it ?

Joytech or Pelican ?

Ooo good, I was thinking of getting one of these awhile back at BB but 70 bucks ouch...55 is acceptible.. Too bad my tv is not component ready :(

Great system selector. Looks professional, and has support for component and s-video.

I wish mine had a remote though. That's the one gripe I have with it.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Great system selector. Looks professional, and has support for component and s-video.

I wish mine had a remote though. That's the one gripe I have with it.[/QUOTE]

Why do ignorant people say this? There's no remote b/c it would degrade signal quality. With no remote, there is a physical switch to change inputs. With a remote, a physical switch would not be possible and the signal quality wouldn't be as good.

Wow, thats a great deal on that. Best Buy sells that for $99.99, and frys has them for $80. Might have to go check this out at Wal-mart in a lil bit, thanks OP.

[quote name='weaponx666']Why do ignorant people say this? There's no remote b/c it would degrade signal quality. With no remote, there is a physical switch to change inputs. With a remote, a physical switch would not be possible and the signal quality wouldn't be as good.[/QUOTE]

Don't call people ignorant when you don't know what you're talking about. Electronic switches are just as good if not better then physical switches. Physical switches have actual contacts that can degrade over time, if they even give good contact in the first place. Electronic switches use transistors in place of the physical switches to change between inputs. These transistors can easily handle the bandwidth of a television signal. Does your tv still use mechanical switches to change channels? Not unless you have an old ass tv or cable box. Does your tv still look awesome? Yeah.

I have one of these, I bought it at overstock for around 50 so 55 B&M is great. However I must warn you that it does not play well with xboxes. I have a crapload of screen interference when using the xbox (yes I tried all the ports) but it works fine for the ps2 for some reason. Well anyway I use it for optical sound switching now..
I use this in conjunction with a passive JVC component switcher.

[quote name='Zoglog']I have one of these, I bought it at overstock for around 50 so 55 B&M is great. However I must warn you that it does not play well with xboxes. I have a crapload of screen interference when using the xbox (yes I tried all the ports) but it works fine for the ps2 for some reason. Well anyway I use it for optical sound switching now..
I use this in conjunction with a passive JVC component switcher.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the AV cable you are using that's making it look bad on the Xbox? I've got the System Selector Pro with Monster Cables and it looks exactly the same as my old system selector box did.

I went out on a limb and bought myself the cheapest system selector I could find, which was the older version of this, The MadCatz System Selector.

$19.99

I did a pretty extensive compare-and-contrast test on the video and audio, comparing what they were like when plugged directly into the television and what they were like plugged into this little guy, and I noticed no visible/audible difference. The version I have only has s-video input along with A/V, but no component like the newer version shown above. Nevertheless, it works perfectly for everything I have in it (DVD, SNES/N64/GC, DC).

Finding it being sold somewhere, however, appears to be a different story. Amazon.com and EBgames.com are both out, and all price-comparison websites I've visited only link to these two websites. I also checked all the store links on the Madcatz website, to no avail. =/

Good luck finding one if interested!

[quote name='Heyricochet']Don't call people ignorant when you don't know what you're talking about. Electronic switches are just as good if not better then physical switches. Physical switches have actual contacts that can degrade over time, if they even give good contact in the first place. Electronic switches use transistors in place of the physical switches to change between inputs. These transistors can easily handle the bandwidth of a television signal. Does your tv still use mechanical switches to change channels? Not unless you have an old ass tv or cable box. Does your tv still look awesome? Yeah.[/QUOTE]
> Electronic switches can handle the bandwidth of a TV signal only because it is 480i. The Pelican switcher can also handle 480p signals through it fine. The problem comes when you try to pass a HD (720p or 1080i) signal through the switch. It has been reported on various forums that there is noticeable PQ degradation when using cheaper electronic switches. They simply do not have the bandwidth to pass the HD quality signals. Mechanical switches can pass the full bandwidth.

Here is a link to tests done on the Pelican. Note that it is done by a manufacturer of switchboxes, but it doesn't make it any less valid.
http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

To make a long story short, if you are looking for an automatic switchbox to play PS2 and watch DVDs, the Pelican is fine. However, if you are buying this for HD sources, I would invest in a good switchbox from Audio Authority, Video-Storm, Zektor or Inday.

I bought one of those at walmart for 25$. Although it was an older model a while back and it can only hook up to 4 consoles. But it does support HD, S-video, and lan.

[quote name='Heyricochet']Don't call people ignorant when you don't know what you're talking about. Electronic switches are just as good if not better then physical switches. Physical switches have actual contacts that can degrade over time, if they even give good contact in the first place. Electronic switches use transistors in place of the physical switches to change between inputs. These transistors can easily handle the bandwidth of a television signal. Does your tv still use mechanical switches to change channels? Not unless you have an old ass tv or cable box. Does your tv still look awesome? Yeah.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what you're talking about? I guess not. Do you know the bandwidth of a video signal? We're not talking about television signals here, we're talking HD signals. I believe the minimum HD bandwidth is 35 MHz, which the Pelican barely handles. See tokerblue's post above. YOU GOT SERVED! He hit the nail on the head. I have the Pelican System selector going into my HDTV. The Pelican doesn't have enough bandwidth for signals above 480p.

The bottom line is that is annoys me when people here complain that system selectors don't have remotes. There are very few that do, even high end, for the following reason: electronic switches don't work as well.

[quote name='D3adcell']I bought one of those at walmart for 25$. Although it was an older model a while back and it can only hook up to 4 consoles. But it does support HD, S-video, and lan.[/QUOTE]

I think what you have is not the Pro but just the regular one without the remote. I have the same one too because the Pro was too expensive for me. There is a bit of video signal degradation but I am able to live with it as I only hook up video game consoles to it.

[quote name='tokerblue']> Electronic switches can handle the bandwidth of a TV signal only because it is 480i. The Pelican switcher can also handle 480p signals through it fine. The problem comes when you try to pass a HD (720p or 1080i) signal through the switch. It has been reported on various forums that there is noticeable PQ degradation when using cheaper electronic switches. They simply do not have the bandwidth to pass the HD quality signals. Mechanical switches can pass the full bandwidth.

Here is a link to tests done on the Pelican. Note that it is done by a manufacturer of switchboxes, but it doesn't make it any less valid.
http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

To make a long story short, if you are looking for an automatic switchbox to play PS2 and watch DVDs, the Pelican is fine. However, if you are buying this for HD sources, I would invest in a good switchbox from Audio Authority, Video-Storm, Zektor or Inday.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the [civil] reply, tokerblue--that information will come in handy, especially with the XBox 360 and PS3 both supporting HD.

[quote name='AwRy108']Thanks for the [civil] reply, tokerblue--that information will come in handy, especially with the XBox 360 and PS3 both supporting HD.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately a good quality high bandwidth HD selector is expensive, and usualy have less features than the Pelican Pro. I like that it has 8 inputs and does optical audio, not to mention LAN for the online systems. It's pretty feature-rich, IMHO.

bread's done
Back