Persona 3 for PS2

Nobi-Wan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Is there a decent deal anywhere for this game? I really want to try it because I've heard so many good things about it. I just don't want to pay a ton in case I won't like it.

Used copies are fine.

At this point it's a pretty rare game. New copies are near impossible to find and as a result the price for used copies is pretty expensive. There is one place that has it. Sears. They are out of stock online but you can use their in store pickup thing to check to see if your local sears has it. From what I've seen a lot of them do. You'll be paying standard retail price ($50) but at this point that's probably the best deal you'll get.

I just picked up 2 of 'em as gifts for co-workers at meijer for $29.99 each with 10% off this past Saturday. They were marked $49.99 but rang up $29.99. The 10% off ended Saturday, but it's still a deal at $29.99 each. This was in South Elgin IL (I bought the last 2, so don't check there) and is possibly ymmv. Hopefully you can find this deal at other meijers.

Sorry, the only thing I can think of is to hit up an EB/GS and pick up a used copy if you can find one. If it helps, I saw a copy of P3 (used) at the GS near the Otay Ranch Center, next to the Navy Federal Credit Union in Eastlake. EDIT: this was Sat. 12/15.

For what it's worth, Persona 3 is my GOTY - I can't recommend it enough.

Meijer has em 29.99 on clearance here, sorry one isn't near ya, they had a ton left. I'm hoping for another drop myself.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?affid=8570&source=buy&product_id=939609

Enter your zip code and do a search, it will pull up the GS locations that have it in stock.

If they only have new copies, there's the 10% GS coupon floating around. That would bring it to $45.

If used, you can use that 10% off PLUS an extra 10% off if you have an EDGE card. That's about $36. Side note, I was lucky enough to find a pristine used copy at GS a couple of days ago; art book, soundtrack, the whole deal.

Also, GS is having a B2G1 free sale on used games on 12.26 if you want to try then.

[quote name='shrike4242']Kmart has clearanced it out in some stores at $12.49, which is where I found my copy at. Might be worth a look.[/QUOTE]
Damn that's incredible.
Thanks.

[quote name='chris100185']At this point it's a pretty rare game. New copies are near impossible to find and as a result the price for used copies is pretty expensive. There is one place that has it. Sears. They are out of stock online but you can use their in store pickup thing to check to see if your local sears has it. From what I've seen a lot of them do. You'll be paying standard retail price ($50) but at this point that's probably the best deal you'll get.[/quote]

I searched the sears site and two within driving distance had them. Each one supposedly only had one. I was hoping to get 2, one for me and for a friend (for him to pay for me of course). So I did instore pick up on both. Hopefully when I go there later on today it will actually be there. I have this funny feeling I will get there and they'll just stare at me blankly and tell me sorry.

$12.49? Good God, I'm heading out there tomorrow!

Edit: Just looked at the Kmart thread... not much success with other CAGs @ that price. Maybe I'll head there Friday instead.

[quote name='shrike4242']Kmart has clearanced it out in some stores at $12.49, which is where I found my copy at. Might be worth a look.[/quote]

Good job sending people on a snipe hunt...

For those who don't know Persona 3 was found at two (maybe three) KMarts for that price. It was most likely a price mistake, not a clearance as clearance prices are usually more widespread.

Though it doesn't hurt to check. I do at every KMart I go to.

[quote name='Green Card200']So I called them and it was $49.99 =( I think I will pick it up anyway though. I didn't know it was already getting hard to find.[/quote]

Atlus made the game so that should explain why it's hard to find

I've yet to open mine since I've had other games to play first so it's nice to see it getting rare (I'll buy a second used copy to play if it seems like the value is really going to jump).

[quote name='mguiddy']Good job sending people on a snipe hunt...

For those who don't know Persona 3 was found at two (maybe three) KMarts for that price. It was most likely a price mistake, not a clearance as clearance prices are usually more widespread.

Though it doesn't hurt to check. I do at every KMart I go to.[/quote]Some = more than one. So, no, it's not a snipe hunt, just a case of being lucky if you find it at that price.

And I'm not the only one who found it at that price, so there's a small chance that it might be found elsewhere.

[quote name='Dokstarr']I searched the sears site and two within driving distance had them. Each one supposedly only had one. I was hoping to get 2, one for me and for a friend (for him to pay for me of course). So I did instore pick up on both. Hopefully when I go there later on today it will actually be there. I have this funny feeling I will get there and they'll just stare at me blankly and tell me sorry.[/QUOTE]

Worked for at least one for me. Local sears by my parents was listed as having it on the site, and my parents found it there.

Just signed up for this forum yesterday since my periodic JPRG jones has been acting up, and I have been reading a ton of good things about this one. Went to a kinda out-of-the-way Sears in McHenry, IL today and they had 2 copies (1 now). Thanks to all for the tips.... now I'm debating whether I should even open it.

[quote name='zulu9393']Just signed up for this forum yesterday since my periodic JPRG jones has been acting up, and I have been reading a ton of good things about this one. Went to a kinda out-of-the-way Sears in McHenry, IL today and they had 2 copies (1 now). Thanks to all for the tips.... now I'm debating whether I should even open it.[/QUOTE]

Go and buy the second copy, sell one of them on eBay. Problem solved. :D

[quote name='whoknows']Wow, the sealed ones are going for $80+ on ebay. Surprising. Kinda regret opening mine now...nah, it's an awesome game :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been looking at them for a few days now, don't want to pay that much. I called my local Fred Meyer's, though, and they had some copies. I can't get into town, so I'm having someone pick it up for me. The guy on the phone originally said it was $39.99, or at least I thought he did, but it turns out it's $49.99. Oh well, still cheaper than on eBay.

While at the mall today, I decided to finally check out Sears' game section, and lo and behold, I found two copies of Persona 3. I was in shock. They rang up at $49.99, and I quickly purchased both of them. It's really hard for me to pay that much for a PS2 game, but selling one of them will lessen the pain. Essentially, I'm probably paying about $10-20 for my personal copy, which isn't too bad.

[quote name='prmononoke']While at the mall today, I decided to finally check out Sears game section, and lo and behold, I found two copies of Persona 3. I was in shock. They rang up at $49.99, and I quickly purchased both of them. It's really hard for me to pay that much for a PS2 game, but selling one of them will lessen the pain. Essentially, I'm probably paying about $10-20 for my personal copy, which isn't too bad.[/QUOTE]

I bought at retail price and dont regret it!

For those still looking and are gamefly members I recently bought it via the 'keep it' option for 35.xx. This is with the 5% rewards discount so take that into account. Looks like that is still an option checking the game site on gamefly.

Not be threadcrapper but how well did this game sell, typical Atlus game of 40k or under? Ya know I gladly play full price for such rare gem that also has some of the best production work on this of the pacific. Not since DQ8 have I had this much fun or wished to play all day. I think in these cases it best to bone up and support and stand for something before it gone.

[quote name='madara']Not be threadcrapper but how well did this game sell, typical Atlus game of 40k or under? Ya know I gladly play full price for such rare gem that also has some of the best production work on this of the pacific. Not since DQ8 have I had this much fun or wished to play all day. I think in these cases it best to bone up and support and stand for something before it gone.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure its getting a bit more recognition now as its in the running at numerous sites for RPG/PS2 GOTY and won Gamespots RPG GOTY

[quote name='blackjaw']I bought at retail price and dont regret it![/quote]

I'm sure it's a fantastic game, but I can't really justify buying this type of game for full price. I can pay full price for Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid, etc., but something keeps from being able to purchase a game like this at full price. I do admit that I almost bought it when it first came out, but I couldn't actually find a copy at retail, and seeing it online gave me enough time to consider my purchase to the point where I talked myself out of it.

FINALLY found a copy of it for myself. Wow, what a great game! It's a little slow going at first but it's one of the most unique and interesting games I've ever played. It's cool how your day to day life will affect your powers and how (for the most part) you can have so much freedom in daily life.

I don't think an Atlus game has let me down yet.

My town is still loaded. I seriously had no idea that the game was difficult to find! There are 6 copies available (that I can think of right off the top of my head) - 2 each at Kmart, Shopko, and Smith's Marketplace.

If anyone is still needing one, I'll pick it up for cost + shipping + fees. Sadly, that'll be close to $60, but if it's really selling for $70+ on ebay...

[quote name='blackjaw']I'm sure its getting a bit more recognition now as its in the running at numerous sites for RPG/PS2 GOTY and won Gamespots RPG GOTY[/QUOTE]

Recognition didn't help Digital Devil Saga 1&2. They got some awards as well (game of the year from X-play, among others), but yet they're still freaking hard to find at a reasonable price.

[quote name='dhelor']Recognition didn't help Digital Devil Saga 1&2. They got some awards as well (game of the year from X-play, among others), but yet they're still freaking hard to find at a reasonable price.[/quote]

Recognition = more demand.
No more production = higher prices.

Checked my Sears today and they had 2 copies buried under about 50 other trash PS2 games. 49.99 though so I just grabbed 1 copy. If I ever need the other copy for replacement/ebay I'm sure it will still be buried there waiting and hopefully discounted somewhere down the line :) .

Hard to find? Maybe depending on where you live. A Gamestop around me had like 6 a Sears has 2 and 2 Bestbuy's I have been in have 2-3 each...

[quote name='Derrick1979']Hard to find? Maybe depending on where you live. A Gamestop around me had like 6 a Sears has 2 and 2 Bestbuy's I have been in have 2-3 each...[/quote]

Well you're in freaking Wisconsin, so that's no surprise. Try finding copies in LA. You have to go DEEP into the ghetto to find copies. I'm sick of having to wear my bullet proof vest and get locked and loaded when I want to track down a hard to find game.

[quote name='karkyco']Well you're in freaking Wisconsin, so that's no surprise. Try finding copies in LA. You have to go DEEP into the ghetto to find copies. I'm sick of having to wear my bullet proof vest and get locked and loaded when I want to track down a hard to find game.[/quote]
I used to do that in Philly. Rare RPGs used to be abundant in the ghetto (New Parasite Eve II for $20?! Yoink!) but the latest sports game was never in stock at any GS/EB. I'm not going there anymore, not with the high murder rate looming overhead.

But I didn't know it was that rare. I may have to pick up a copy soon, maybe two, and sell one.

$70 on eBay
- ~$5 eBay/PP fees
====
$65
-$53.50 to purchase a copy at any B&M
====
$11.50 paid towards my copy.

But that's hedging a lot of risk...buyers could always claim crap and I'd be out $70.

A ratio of 11.5:70 isn't something viable in my book... maybe I'll just foot the small difference and pay for just one.

[quote name='happy']I've yet to open mine since I've had other games to play first so it's nice to see it getting rare (I'll buy a second used copy to play if it seems like the value is really going to jump).[/quote]

You and me both, Ill be checking tomorrow afternoon, they had a few copies last month, but that was when everyone was still selling it. Mine is still sealed because i havent gotten to it yet just like my Ar Tonelico.

Just got back from the Sears at Oxford Valley Mall in Bucks County, PA, where I picked up a copy for $49.99. They still had one left if anyone lives in the area. Just wanted to give a heads-up.

bread's done
Back