Persona 3 review

honestgamer

CAGiversary!
Hey,

I wrote a review for Persona 3, and I thought I'd share it here since I'm sharing it most other places. I'd like to get the word out on this game, since it's pretty sweet. Here's the review:

http://www.honestgamers.com/systems/content.php?review_id=6020&platform=PlayStation+2&abr=PS2&gametitle=Shin+Megami+Tensei%3A+Persona+3

If you have any feedback, I'd be interested in hearing it either here or on my site, where registered users can click to leave feedback and discuss the game with other readers.

Also, in case you haven't heard, the game's shipment was delayed for an unspecified amount of time--hopefully brief--so that Atlus can fix the art book that comes packaged free with each copy of the game. It's an unfortunate delay, but kudos to Atlus for doing the right thing!

Jason

Don't have much to say about the review itself since... it's rock solid. But, you did succeed utterly in making that week-long delay that much more difficult to endure. Sigh...

In a sick, perhaps twisted way, I'm happy to hear that. I really hope my review brings attention to the game and makes people consider giving it a shot who might not have before. It's really something special. There was stuff I couldn't really talk about in the review that I might have said if I weren't trying to keep it readable. Really, I could go on about the game for hours. ;-)

Would you reccommend playing P2 before I play P3? I heard from another thread that there were some P2 referenced jokes in P3, but is any continuous content worth playing that one first?

I honestly don't know! I never played the first or second Persona games. My introduction to that 'style' was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. I would say you'll be perfectly able to play through Persona 3 without playing the first two, which have plots (at least) that are completely independent from this game. Don't let the fact that you haven't played the first two keep you from playing this one. And don't wait to buy this one until you've played the first two, because that could be awhile and this one's likely to go rare as the other two did.

Nice review Jason! hey, your site rules. if I wasn't so lazy and bad at writing reviews, I'd submit more :)

I'd like to submit my NG Sigma review, but I can't do that since I didn't finish it. For the last 3 weeks. Oh well... eventually. Eh, and I should write reviews for the other shit I played since then. Bah.

Gah, I've been waiting for this game and now theres a shipment delay...

Oh well, at least it'll give me some time to play persona 2 ... on my psp ^_^

Apossum, I remember liking your reviews a lot. You should stop being so hard on yourself and start writing more!

Persona 3 really is great. It's odd that they delayed it just minutes after I posted my review, which gave me a lot of exposure. I'm glad I got to play it and I encourage all of you to buy it when you can. It's such a great game. Definitely not for everyone, but I try to spread the word whenever I can.

Plus, it comes with the soundtrack CD and the art book, like my review mentioned. Awesome! I know I still listen to the soundtrack from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and I probably would listen to the one from Digital Devil Saga if I didn't forget I had it...

Thank you for the review!

... Unfortunately /this/ part turned me off to the game:

"The effort you must apply toward the protagonist’s social progression is one of the most interesting things about Persona 3. If he doesn’t seize every opportunity for a conversation with one of his peers at the local high school (or in the community that lies outside its halls), he’ll be significantly outclassed by his enemies when battles occur. There’s limited time to do everything, too, so that what might prove dull in another game becomes urgent here. Days are too valuable to waste, so giving the wrong answer at a dialogue branch can really hurt you. It’s sort of like throwing out a powerful sword in a Final Fantasy game by mistake."

Personally, I /hate hate hate/ when a game makes me feel pressured over every little decision ((Dead Rising)) and makes me do things in a limited amount of time. ((Dead Rising))

Especially in something that should be an enjoyable exploration of a neat scenario. ((Dead Rising))

I had this on preorder due to enjoying the Digital Devil Saga games, but... I might have to rethink that.

Edited to add: Yeah. My interest, already weakened severely, was killed by this:

"Deadlines make the available missions especially interesting. If you haven’t accomplished a goal by a certain date, it could be gone forever (and with it your chance of ever recruiting some of the most powerful beasts)."

bread's done
Back