Persona 4 Collection 1 Blu-ray & Dvd Pre-order 9/18/12

The Blu Ray got screwed because of Japan reverse importing our Blu Rays which basically forced Sentai to remove the Japanese track. Anime is insanely expensive in Japan and they still release everything in individual volumes which contain roughly 3-5 episodes. Since the states only releases anime in bigger 13/26 episode sets now, Japan can buy our Blu Ray sets for cheaper AND be able to play it in their Blu Ray players.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...=anime+import+blu&rh=i:aps,k:anime+import+blu

Our Blu Ray release was #4 on that list until the resellers form Japan learned that the Japanese language track was gone (they even had a discussion thread talking about it).

They region protected Persona 4 Arena. I am surprised they didn't do the same for anime series as well. Hopefully they will do a re-release down the road with Japanese audio but probably very doubtful.

[quote name='Squall_L_FF8']They region protected Persona 4 Arena. I am surprised they didn't do the same for anime series as well. Hopefully they will do a re-release down the road with Japanese audio but probably very doubtful.[/QUOTE]

When America and Japan are in the same Blu-ray region, there's not really anything they can do. Oh well, no Japanese language track, no sale.

Wouldn't they have this same problem with all US anime releases, though? Why single out this title? If they're going to start releasing all blu-ray anime with an English dub only, then I'm done with anime. (Not that I think this will actually happen, of course, but that seems like where the argument leads...)

[quote name='arcane93']Wouldn't they have this same problem with all US anime releases, though? Why single out this title? If they're going to start releasing all blu-ray anime with an English dub only, then I'm done with anime. (Not that I think this will actually happen, of course, but that seems like where the argument leads...)[/QUOTE]

There will still be Blu Ray with Japanese voice, but their cost is going to be much closer to Japanese price. (Think Gundam Unicorn)

[quote name='62t']There will still be Blu Ray with Japanese voice, but their cost is going to be much closer to Japanese price. (Think Gundam Unicorn)[/QUOTE]

Well, then I'm also done with anime in that case too. :lol: Or I'll only be watching what I can get from Hulu, etc. It may help their Japanese market, but they're really shooting themselves in the foot with the US market.

They wanted to get the anime out in time to coincide with the other two Persona 4 games coming out. Most other Blu-ray releases simply get delayed until the English release is allowed to include the Japanese dub, or only get a DVD release.

Sentai realizes that no Blu is a bigger dealbreaker than no Japanese for some people, so they felt inclined to put something out instead of sitting on a Blu-ray license and doing nothing with it.

[quote name='arcane93']Wouldn't they have this same problem with all US anime releases, though? Why single out this title? If they're going to start releasing all blu-ray anime with an English dub only, then I'm done with anime. (Not that I think this will actually happen, of course, but that seems like where the argument leads...)[/QUOTE]

It depends on the timeframe of the release, price point, and whether or not the Japanese licensor wants to be a dick about it or not. This sort of thing has already caused some issues in the past (Soul Eater Blus coming significantly later than the DVDs, mandatory English subtitles on the Japanese audio track for FMA: Brotherhood, and a dub-only release for Kurokami, off the top of my head).

[quote name='62t']There will still be Blu Ray with Japanese voice, but their cost is going to be much closer to Japanese price. (Think Gundam Unicorn)[/QUOTE]

Source? I'm pretty sure this isn't true.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']

Source? I'm pretty sure this isn't true.[/QUOTE]

I am just saying this isn't the end of Japanese audio on Blu Ray. Like you said the other stuff they could do is hard sub or delayed release. Either way the future for anime Blu Ray isn't good.

[quote name='SanjiX']The Blu Ray got screwed because of Japan reverse importing our Blu Rays which basically forced Sentai to remove the Japanese track. Anime is insanely expensive in Japan and they still release everything in individual volumes which contain roughly 3-5 episodes. Since the states only releases anime in bigger 13/26 episode sets now, Japan can buy our Blu Ray sets for cheaper AND be able to play it in their Blu Ray players.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...=anime+import+blu&rh=i:aps,k:anime+import+blu

Our Blu Ray release was #4 on that list until the resellers form Japan learned that the Japanese language track was gone (they even had a discussion thread talking about it).[/QUOTE]

*sigh* Didn't they learn their lesson with Kurokami? No one bought that shit, and with good reason. I certainly wont be shelling out cash for this. Guess im gonna d.load a fansub if im gonna check this series out.

Which brings up a question: was it decent? I heard Trinity souls was meh so never checked it out. I actually wasn't even really aware that this came out since i've been outa the fansub game for a little over a year now

Ah well, this sucks. Why the hell is anime still so absurdly overpriced in Japan? I knew it was like that years ago. I would think the companies would have brought it into a little more reasonable price range these days. I'm pretty anti-piracy but i find it hard to justify their astronomical price points. At the very least, in the past their video quality tended to be better than ours for DVD's. But these days with BD's thats not the case all the time anymore. You cant blame Japanese fans for importing the US releases when the price difference is so ridiculous

^_^x KD

[quote name='Kenshindono']Why the hell is anime still so absurdly overpriced in Japan?[/QUOTE]

Why is all media so absurdly priced in Japan? There is a reason why there are bonus tracks on CDs sold in Japan, so people will pay the premium for those rather than import them from elsewhere.

My understanding is because of the way distribution is in Japan, that there are more people with their hand in the pie. I could be wrong.

[quote name='goukill1120']For everyone who wants to see Persona 4 subbed, the whole series is on Hulu plus. http://www.hulu.com/persona-4[/QUOTE]

Just watched the first episode on Hulu Plus. It's... ok. Pretty much follows the game exactly so far. If you haven't played the game yet and plan to, you might want to avoid watching this because of spoilers. I haven't actually finished the game yet -- I was probably about halfway through it when the Vita version was announced, and I decided to just wait for that to finish it. Wondering now whether the spoilers continue the whole way through, and if I should actually watch this series now or not.

[quote name='arcane93']Just watched the first episode on Hulu Plus. It's... ok. Pretty much follows the game exactly so far. If you haven't played the game yet and plan to, you might want to avoid watching this because of spoilers. I haven't actually finished the game yet -- I was probably about halfway through it when the Vita version was announced, and I decided to just wait for that to finish it. Wondering now whether the spoilers continue the whole way through, and if I should actually watch this series now or not.[/QUOTE]

It's a direct adaptation of the game, which is why it's SO MUCH BETTER than that awful Persona: Trinity Soul, or whatever it was called.

Does the English version use the same voice actors in the game? I think I'll pick it up if that's the case.

[quote name='eddie291']Does the English version use the same voice actors in the game? I think I'll pick it up if that's the case.[/QUOTE]Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they had to get replacement VAs for Teddie and Chie, same as what they did for P4A.

[quote name='Vigilante']Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they had to get replacement VAs for Teddie and Chie, same as what they did for P4A.[/QUOTE]

http://www.animevice.com/news/questions-swirl-around-persona-4-the-animation-dub-updated/5978/

According to this, it seems Sentai claimed they had "everyone" but then in reality, they contacted none of them about it at all. Nice. This was back in April, so I assumed everything got cleared up by now. I never actually played Persona 4, but according to the comments in this article, the original VA for Chie apparently doesn't do much game or anime voice acting anymore, and I read comments on the YouTube trailer of Arena that she sounded different. As for Teddie, I wouldn't have a clue.

As for the Persona 4 anime, I've been watching the sub for the past two weeks (on episode 18 now I think) and my god, does this anime have some hilarious episodes. I'm seriously tempted to buy the Blu Ray now, but who knows if Sentai can even afford a second dub/sub release anyway (at this point they should of just delayed the Blu until Japan was fine with the them releasing the sub/dub). Regardless, Persona fan or not, I think anyone can easily get hooked on this anime.

I'm loathe to buy it without hearing the English dub first. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a knee jerk "Nihingo only" type of person. I just want to know if the dub is embarrassingly bad or not before dropping the money.

The DVD still has both languages for those who want the option. Obviously Blu-Ray would be preferred, but reality is you have to choose either the option to have both languages or higher resolution if you want the discs.

That choice is why I kinda just want to say "fuck it" and wait until someone mashes up the Blu-ray video with the DVD's dual audio and commentary (it's inevitable) and use that as the copy that I actually watch while the discs just sit on a shelf. It's too bad that they've created a situation where the most appealing product with be the one that's only available for free.

After watching the dubbed version, I can say I hate chies new voice in it. Also dojima sounds a little off sometimes, but besides that most of the main cast is voiced by the same actors as in the game and teddies new voice is actually not bad at all.

I'm pretty sure the cast that's in Persona 4 Arena are the ones that are in the anime. As stated already, the majority was already in the original PS2 game. After seeing all of them in Arena, I think they're all fine. Kyo, how is Johnny Yong Bosch as Yu in the anime? I'm sure he's fine but he usually get's the more yappy characters, so I'm wondering how he took this role since this is probably the most dialogue he's ever had for the character.

[quote name='SanjiX']I'm pretty sure the cast that's in Persona 4 Arena are the ones that are in the anime. As stated already, the majority was already in the original PS2 game. After seeing all of them in Arena, I think they're all fine. Kyo, how is Johnny Yong Bosch as Yu in the anime? I'm sure he's fine but he usually get's the more yappy characters, so I'm wondering how he took this role since this is probably the most dialogue he's ever had for the character.[/QUOTE]

He sounds great. His voice strangely fits yu's character very well. There are a couple parts I wish he did better delivering emotion, but it's not bad enough for me to hate on him for it.

Is the Teddie voice actor really a different actor? Maybe it's because I haven't played the game in a while, but it sounds pretty much spot on in the P4A videos I saw.

Chie, on the other hand, sounds different. I wanna say the VA's voice in the original game had a lower pitch than the one in P4A.

[quote name='kyo645']He sounds great. His voice strangely fits yu's character very well. There are a couple parts I wish he did better delivering emotion, but it's not bad enough for me to hate on him for it.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear, did you get the DVD or Blu? I'm wondering how many HDTV owners will get the DVD version just because of the dub only thing. =S

[quote name='SanjiX']Great to hear, did you get the DVD or Blu? I'm wondering how many HDTV owners will get the DVD version just because of the dub only thing. =S[/QUOTE]

I got the blu-ray. I watched the sub so many times on hulu that I didn't really care much about not having it on the blu-ray.

[quote name='Bumslie']Got my copy on Blu-ray today from rightstuf.com. Nice to get it before the release date.

*Thanks Squarehard*[/QUOTE]

I hear that rightstuf releases stuff ahead of time when it comes to anime dvd/bluray stuff.

so torn...does anyone think this will become rare like some of the other persona 4 stuff? is there any chance they may offer a japanese and english bluray in the future?

[quote name='jedimario']so torn...does anyone think this will become rare like some of the other persona 4 stuff? is there any chance they may offer a japanese and english bluray in the future?[/QUOTE]

Sentai usually puts out a complete series box set a while after parts 1 and 2 come out. There is a chance that will have both, but nothing is for sure.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Sentai usually puts out a complete series box set a while after parts 1 and 2 come out. There is a chance that will have both, but nothing is for sure.[/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure about this one unless you post some examples. I own both Clannad / Clannad After Story and The world God Only Knows S1 and S2 and I had to buy them separately. Granted both second seasons for both anime only recently released so maybe you are right that sometime down the road they would release a bundle. But is it really worth having to wait a year or so just to save a couple of bucks?

[quote name='D.Choy']I'm not entirely sure about this one unless you post some examples. I own both Clannad / Clannad After Story and The world God Only Knows S1 and S2 and I had to buy them separately. Granted both second seasons for both anime only recently released so maybe you are right that sometime down the road they would release a bundle. But is it really worth having to wait a year or so just to save a couple of bucks?[/QUOTE]Well, technically Clannad and Clannad: After Story each had two parts (a total of four) initially and later got "complete series" releases...:whistle2:\"

I never bought too much stuff from Sentai except for the Fate movie and Angel Beats. I went ahead and ordered Part 1 but it would suck if they would schedule a Complete Collection after releasing Part 2. I doubt it will be Funimation quick (a year after the previous release) but maybe in a year and a half or two years., or whenever "Japan" will let us have both language tracks on Blu Ray.

It's not quite the same situation, but it's worth mentioning that Sentai released Ghost Hound, Blue Drop, Legends of the Dark King: FotNS, Princess Resurrection, Tears to Tiara, and of course Clannad and After Story as sub-only for the first releases, then ended up dubbing the complete collections. So it isn't unheard of for them to release a complete set down the line with more content, and it's silly for people to think they won't be able to afford a re-release later.

I personally couldn't care less if the Japanese is included or not, but as a cheap ass I'm willing to wait to see how dirt-cheap these sets get if people refuse to buy them, or a hybrid release is announced later.

bread's done
Back