Persona 4 : Golden Fall 2012

[quote name='SynGamer']Well, I'm 34 hours in and I just unlocked the
Void Quest
Dungeon. I figure once I complete this I'm half way through the game? My character levels range from 38-31, which Chie at 31. I just went and beat the first two optional bosses. I may grind a bit in the
Marukyu Striptease
dungeon to try and raise Chie up to around 34-35. She'll still be one of the lower leveled characters, but better than 31.

Do any of the main characters die? I don't mind if there is a spoiler, I just hate leveling characters up if it is ultimately useless.

Also: I freaking love the social aspect of this game. It pretty much lets me relive my youth as the "cool kid", which I definitely wasn't in High School :razz:[/QUOTE]

You can just fight the enemies in the Void Quest dungeon, they should be around the same level and if not, shouldn't have any trouble defeating them.

Nobody dies.

[quote name='SynGamer']So I saved
Rise/Teddie
. Man was that second round a long-ass battle. While I was grinding before the boss I came across three golden hands and a tank-like shadow. fuck. That. Shit. For whatever reason, the tank was one-hit killing my party. I ended up winning, but I was the only person alive. 15,000 EXP...for 1 character. *sigh*. At least I'm now a level 38? My other charcters are 33-36 so they aren't too far behind.

I would really like to see a guide that shows the suggested character levels for each boss, just to give me an idea if I'm close or not.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. I've been watching walkthroughs on YouTube and those guys are at ridiculous levels.

Just wrapped up with the true/golden ending. Close to 100 hours. Holy shit, I had no clue what I was in for, but I'm glad I spent time with this game.

I was one of those weirdos pulled in by playing P4A before anything from the SMT lineage. Pretty cool to realize that everything from P4A has foundation in the source games. Names like "Bufudyne" make way more sense now.

Prolly gonna hop back and try out P3 at some point. I'm hearing That FES is the way to go, but I play on my Vita way more often now, so I may go P3P. Any opinions on that?

[quote name='IanKazimer']Prolly gonna hop back and try out P3 at some point. I'm hearing That FES is the way to go, but I play on my Vita way more often now, so I may go P3P. Any opinions on that?[/QUOTE]
The only problem with P3P is that it replaces all of the school/town exploration with a 2D interface where you move the cursor over interaction points to talk to characters and travel. In FES the exploration works just like in P4. The big thing that P3P adds is the female main character, and of course portability. But unless you're planning on actually playing as the female MC I'd say FES is the preferred version.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The only problem with P3P is that it replaces all of the school/town exploration with a 2D interface where you move the cursor over interaction points to talk to characters and travel. In FES the exploration works just like in P4. The big thing that P3P adds is the female main character, and of course portability. But unless you're planning on actually playing as the female MC I'd say FES is the preferred version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ryuu. I recall someone discussing the combat in P3 as well. Saying that you don't control your party, I think. Are both versions like that? I assumed direct control of my party in P4G pretty quickly, but I'm pretty sure I'd get over it.

As for the fem-MC, I feel like I could definitely live without her. Also recall hearing about The Answer being available in FES, but it's just epiloguey stuff, I probably wouldn't mind youtubing it after the fact.

Just kinda thinking out loud here. Thanks for the input, dude.

Original P3 definitely had only the main character manually controlled. I do not remember whether they added manual control for the other party members in FES or in P3P... It might be P3P. I always let the AI control the other party members anyway; it makes them feel more alive!

Having NOT played the previous Persona games, I can't see myself going back to 1, 2, or 3 after playing P4G. The tweaks/changes/additions are just...perfect, at least based off of what I've read when compared to previous entries in the series.

Side note: I'm really hoping they make Persona 5 for the PS Vita.

[quote name='SynGamer']Having NOT played the previous Persona games, I can't see myself going back to 1, 2, or 3 after playing P4G. The tweaks/changes/additions are just...perfect, at least based off of what I've read when compared to previous entries in the series.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat here, but I think I still might enjoy P3P. My wife already owns it , one of these days I just might boot it up.

[quote name='SynGamer']Having NOT played the previous Persona games, I can't see myself going back to 1, 2, or 3 after playing P4G. The tweaks/changes/additions are just...perfect, at least based off of what I've read when compared to previous entries in the series.

Side note: I'm really hoping they make Persona 5 for the PS Vita.[/QUOTE]

Persona 2s are still decent games as long as you don't expect P4. Persona 3 is still pretty playable and better than 90% of the RPGs out there. Then again all this can be avoided if you play Persona 3 first.

Well, I'm getting ready to fight
Shadow Mitsuo
. Any suggestions? My MC is level 42, Yosuke is 40, Yukiko is 40, and Teddy is 39. I'm ignoring Chie for the rest of the game I think (currently level 31). I'm thinking of dropping Yosuke for Kanji after this boss battle, we'll see. I'm actually on floor 7 (out of 10) so I should be able to gain at least 1 or 2 more levels for everyone before the boss(es).

Still not sure who I am going to "romance", currently leaning towards Yukiko but damn if
Rise isn't laying it on thick...

37 hours in and I'm having a blast.

[quote name='SynGamer']Having NOT played the previous Persona games, I can't see myself going back to 1, 2, or 3 after playing P4G. The tweaks/changes/additions are just...perfect, at least based off of what I've read when compared to previous entries in the series.

Side note: I'm really hoping they make Persona 5 for the PS Vita.[/QUOTE]

What about digital devil saga 1 & 2? I played these right after P4 and they were awesome, some of my faves. This was like 6 months ago all on PS2.

[quote name='SynGamer']Having NOT played the previous Persona games, I can't see myself going back to 1, 2, or 3 after playing P4G. The tweaks/changes/additions are just...perfect, at least based off of what I've read when compared to previous entries in the series.[/QUOTE]
The weird thing about P3 and P4 is that from a gameplay standpoint they are like 95% the same game. Only the small tweaks and changes that are there make a huge difference to your experience of the game. An example for me was how in P4 leveling up a social link grants that character direct upgrades in battle, like being able to pick up the main character if he gets downed. It seems like a very small addition, but the fact that it's felt directly in battle (rather than just the indirect effect on fusions) hugely strengthens the link between the social and battle halves of the game, and makes both sides feel more meaningful and unified.

Plus the fact that you explore different, independently themed dungeons rather than just different looking floors of one big dungeon. On a purely mechanical level it's not really that much of a change-- the difference between dungeons isn't much more than decor-- but the way it's treated within the plot makes the game "feel" like it has way more variety than P3. It's those kinds of things.

The difference in plot and tone is more subjective. Again I think P4 is better but there are fans who prefer the more urban/sci-fi-ish setting and worldly characters of P3 to the rural atmosphere and more realistic teens of P4.

[quote name='raiden_86']What about digital devil saga 1 & 2? I played these right after P4 and they were awesome, some of my faves. This was like 6 months ago all on PS2.[/QUOTE]

Those are good games, but the battle system is very different than in Persona 3/4.

[quote name='SynGamer']Well, I'm getting ready to fight
Shadow Mitsuo
. Any suggestions? My MC is level 42, Yosuke is 40, Yukiko is 40, and Teddy is 39. I'm ignoring Chie for the rest of the game I think (currently level 31). I'm thinking of dropping Yosuke for Kanji after this boss battle, we'll see. I'm actually on floor 7 (out of 10) so I should be able to gain at least 1 or 2 more levels for everyone before the boss(es).

Still not sure who I am going to "romance", currently leaning towards Yukiko but damn if
Rise isn't laying it on thick...

37 hours in and I'm having a blast.[/QUOTE]

Chie gets the two of the best physical attacks in the game later on at 70 and 74.

Youske is pretty much a Jack of All Trades master of none. He's just far too average for my taste.

As for Kanji, I don't know, I never really leveled him, his agility kinda sucks so he'll usually end up being last in battle.

Kanji is probably a better character overall than Chie, though as said Chie does get some of the very best attacks in the game at the very end of her development. (Keep in mind that analysis is based on the PS2 version, and all the characters get new abilities in Golden so things may be different.)

The best party in the game is completely up for debate and any party is viable. But I think based purely on combat abilities most people would pick some combination of Yukiko/Teddie/Kanji/Yosuke.

So basically they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think I'll continue leveling Kanji since he's already a few levels higher than Chie...decisions, decisions.

EDIT: reading some other forums...it seems MC, Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko is the best end-game party. I think I'll ditch Kanji and try to bring Chie up and just use those four from here on out. The HP cost for Kanji towards the end just seems too risky.

[quote name='SynGamer']So basically they both have their strengths and weaknesses. I think I'll continue leveling Kanji since he's already a few levels higher than Chie...decisions, decisions.

EDIT: reading some other forums...it seems MC, Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko is the best end-game party. I think I'll ditch Kanji and try to bring Chie up and just use those four from here on out. The HP cost for Kanji towards the end just seems too risky.[/QUOTE]

I roll MC/Chie/Yuki/Teddie

Teddie has the better buffs and stronger magic. Youske is just about average in everything and excels in none, except maybe agility.

really need to try to get into the game

how long is the game before you get into battles i played it around 90 mins and its all talk talk tlak

Rough about two hours or so I believe.

I love how they made Naoto viable in Golden. I refused to use her in vanilla just because she offered nothing to the team but basic attacks and Almighty spells for boss fights. I never got around into leveling Kanji. I LOVE the character, but dislike him in fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I played on PS2 I used Chie/Kanji/Yukiko. A little heavy on physical, but the thing with Persona is you don't have to worry as much about party balance because the main character can do/be anything at any time. I probably would have used Teddie more but I couldn't stand the sound he made when he walks.

I read about the changes to Naoto in Golden and I'm looking forward to actually using her.

well seems this game goes back into the Backlog after buying

UNCHAINED BLADES today for the 3ds

hopefully that will last me till Feb and EO4 and the new Fire Em. games hit pushing me till april so see you sometime in the summer persona :(

(probally should sell it off and rebuy later )

So I finally beat
Shadow Mitsuo
and I must say...it wasn't all that hard. My MC was level 44, Yosuke was 41, Chie was 38, and Yukiko was 40. What really saved me was Yukiko had Mediarama AND I had fused Black Frost early into this dungeon and he obtained Agidyne literally 5 minutes into grinding on the 9th floor.

Ideal Persona Setup:
Black Frost + Fire Amp + Mind Charge + Agidyne = Win. Just make sure the boss doesn't have Fire Resistance early on ;)

I just finished Summer and opened up what I hope is the last social link to be found in the game. Now it's just a matter of romancing my lady and leveling those S.Links.

[quote name='SynGamer']So I finally beat
Shadow Mitsuo
and I must say...it wasn't all that hard. My MC was level 44, Yosuke was 41, Chie was 38, and Yukiko was 40. What really saved me was Yukiko had Mediarama AND I had fused Black Frost early into this dungeon and he obtained Agidyne literally 5 minutes into grinding on the 9th floor.

Ideal Persona Setup:
Black Frost + Fire Amp + Mind Charge + Agidyne = Win. Just make sure the boss doesn't have Fire Resistance early on ;)

I just finished Summer and opened up what I hope is the last social link to be found in the game. Now it's just a matter of romancing my lady and leveling those S.Links.[/QUOTE]Nah, I'm sure you haven't found all the social links yet. If you look through the social links, they're actually numbered with roman numerals and I'm sure you can find out which ones you haven't gotten yet based on looking through them. Hint:
They're numbered all the way up to 20. There are also other social links that aren't necessarily part of the numbered order.

And just wait till you have that attack combo with an elemental attack that does "severe" damage. I currently have a:
Lv. 75 Thor w/ Elec Amp + Mind Charge + Thunder Reign

I think I'll worry about Maxing Social links and getting all the books on my second playthrough. I'm just going to focus on maxing my stats this time through.

FINALLY finished it last night with the true ending. 80 hours and MC was 85th level. Ran nearly the entire game with MC, Youske, Chie and Yokiko. Was really shocked to see that, after initially getting the bad ending and going back to restart from the save point right before it, I actually put in another 20 hours. That's insane to think that much game play can be left untouched by people who don't know better.

Thing that really impressed me...80 hour game and it was all plot and little to no grinding to inflate the game length.

PS: When ever Kanji talks, all I can think of is Will Arnett from Arrested Development.

Took a few days off from the game. Loving it so far. Wish I had more time for the social interactions. About 55 hours in, just beat the
Void Quest

My first play through is winding down
I'm at Adachi's dungeon and still have Marie's secret dungeon on the horizon
and have also been watching the P4 anime. I also just picked up P4 Arena for $20. Man, talk about a Persona 4 overload yet I still can't get enough ;)

I've been looking around for more P4 related items to consume and it seems collecting figures are the next step. So I guess this is how it begins...

[quote name='knightsdwn']My first play through is winding down
I'm at Adachi's dungeon and still have Marie's secret dungeon on the horizon
and have also been watching the P4 anime. I also just picked up P4 Arena for $20. Man, talk about a Persona 4 overload yet I still can't get enough ;)

I've been looking around for more P4 related items to consume and it seems collecting figures are the next step. So I guess this is how it begins...[/QUOTE]

I could never justify the price of some of figures, they're far too much for a piece of plastic.

They do look nice though.

So I'm in
Heaven right now. I've leveled up Dojima to 9 before he went into the hospital. From what I've read I won't be able to max his S. Link at this point, oh well.

I've focused purely on Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko. Character levels currently range from 65-67. I'm on the 5th floor for the dungeon mentioned above. Taking my time going through this one early to try and grind a small bit for later levels. Oh, and I maxed my S. Link with Margaret. I spent a shit tonne of $ on buying persona's to fuse and such, but I finally did it :)

So...for the end game, I read that important events happen in December that I need to handle correctly in order to get the True ending. Any tips/suggestions? I don't generally follow any guides other than various help on boss strategies and such.

[quote name='SynGamer'] So...for the end game, I read that important events happen in December that I need to handle correctly in order to get the True ending. Any tips/suggestions? I don't generally follow any guides other than various help on boss strategies and such.[/QUOTE]

The game prompts you to save right before the big event. I'd recommend keeping another save file or two. Other than that, enjoy the show ;)

[quote name='knightsdwn']The game prompts you to save right before the big event. I'd recommend keeping another save file or two. Other than that, enjoy the show ;)[/QUOTE]

Also I recommend making multiple saves to get the various endings - 2 bad, accomplice, good and true end. You only get a trophy for true end but still worth it.

There's also the epilogue but you need to max a certain person's s-link for that. You can do that all december and it gives a secret dungeon aswell.

[quote name='SynGamer']So I'm in
Heaven right now. I've leveled up Dojima to 9 before he went into the hospital. From what I've read I won't be able to max his S. Link at this point, oh well.
[/QUOTE]

You can still
max Dojima when he gets out of the hospital, which will be some time in January.

So I'm closing in on the end of the game. I plan on saving my second play-through for later this year. So, that said, I need something new to play. Any suggestions? The Vita is kind of lacking in options at this point...

Mgs hd is pretty good, gravity rush isn't too bad either. Those are the only ones I've played.

Though I've heard ragnarok Odessey is supposed to be good

[quote name='SynGamer']So I'm closing in on the end of the game. I plan on saving my second play-through for later this year. So, that said, I need something new to play. Any suggestions? The Vita is kind of lacking in options at this point...[/QUOTE]

Same here, looking for another RPG. I love to play Gravity Rush since I have PS+ but I only have a 4gb card. How is Ragnarok Odyssey? Looking to get that one next.

[quote name='sherlock2g']Same here, looking for another RPG. I love to play Gravity Rush since I have PS+ but I only have a 4gb card. How is Ragnarok Odyssey? Looking to get that one next.[/QUOTE]

I'm leaning towards Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD. I know Europe has it for 25% off right now (I believe) so I'm hoping NA gets a discount soon. But yeah, that's currently on my list, sale or not.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward also interests me, but I'm not sure. I'd like to find it used at GS so I can try it first, and if I don't like it, I can return it within the first 7 days...

[quote name='SynGamer']So I'm closing in on the end of the game. I plan on saving my second play-through for later this year. So, that said, I need something new to play. Any suggestions? The Vita is kind of lacking in options at this point...[/QUOTE]

There is some good PSP games, especially RPGs, on PSN. I recommend Persona 3 Portable (P3P). I believe it's $20 on PSN. I snagged it when it was $10 a couple of months ago. I purchased Persona 4 on release day, but I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to finish P3P first.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm leaning towards Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD. I know Europe has it for 25% off right now (I believe) so I'm hoping NA gets a discount soon. But yeah, that's currently on my list, sale or not.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward also interests me, but I'm not sure. I'd like to find it used at GS so I can try it first, and if I don't like it, I can return it within the first 7 days...[/QUOTE]

Zero Escape has a demo on PSN. You can try it out there first.

[quote name='Over easy']Zero Escape has a demo on PSN. You can try it out there first.[/QUOTE]

I've heard playing the first game (999) is highly advised before jumping into Zero Escape so perhaps take that into consideration.

I second Gravity Rush and P3P as well. Assassin's Creed Liberation is also a top notch game.

Well after a lot of procrastinating and trying to get as many trophies as possible in my first playthrough, I finally beat P4G last night.

In the end, I was extremely satisfied with this game. It's really re-sparked my interest in JRPGs. I finished the game with the True Ending but I'll probably go back at some point and load up a save so I can get the Golden Ending as well.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Well after a lot of procrastinating and trying to get as many trophies as possible in my first playthrough, I finally beat P4G last night.

In the end, I was extremely satisfied with this game. It's really re-sparked my interest in JRPGs. I finished the game with the True Ending but I'll probably go back at some point and load up a save so I can get the Golden Ending as well.[/QUOTE]

Wait...there's a Golden Ending? I thought it was just Bad/Good/True??? I'm on one of the final fights. My characters are at 84-86, my persona's are 78-84.
I think I'm going to skip the Dec. 22nd event and try to fuse Yoshi on Dec 24th in order to get Debilitate. I'm also contemplating a bit more grinding to get to level 90 just for shits-and-giggles.

[quote name='SynGamer']Wait...there's a Golden Ending? I thought it was just Bad/Good/True??? I'm on one of the final fights. My characters are at 84-86, my persona's are 78-84.
I think I'm going to skip the Dec. 22nd event and try to fuse Yoshi on Dec 24th in order to get Debilitate. I'm also contemplating a bit more grinding to get to level 90 just for shits-and-giggles.
[/QUOTE]Yes and I believe you get a trophy in the process.
First you have to max out Marie's Social Link and then an event happens that unlocks her secret dungeon. You have to clear said dungeon to get the Golden Ending.

EDIT: Thanks for correcting me, but you might wanna put that in spoilers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GogetaSS4']I've been playing this game for a few days and I am loving it.[/QUOTE]

If you're bothered about trophies, one word of advice don't worry about Hardcore Risette, it actually carries over to new game plus. Also analyzing with the L1 button doesn't count from what I know.

bread's done
Back