Persona 4: Released and Ready 2 Play! Metacritic Score -- A Whoppin' 93!!!

Yay I am so looking forward to this. I played 2 and 3 like a fiend and now this one will definately take most of my free time during the Christmas season.

[quote name='LeafPanda']GameStop Pre-orders =P[/quote]
Amazon too. :)

edit: Oh, the Amazon pre-orders were already mentioned. I'll be pre-ordering from them. I needed to find a use for my gift certificate anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having any luck getting this game to show up in your Amazon recommendations? I'd like to see if I can get the Quick Pick 5% discount before I preorder it. Putting Disgaea 3 into the cart got a bunch of other Atlus games to show up, but no Persona 4. I've already purchased Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES from Amazon, so I don't know what more they want me to do before recommending P4. :)

This game was everywhere in Akihabara last week--there would be two or three game stores in a row with huge displays out front, all showing the same trailer. I still haven't had a chance to play P3, but this one looks pretty awesome.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm 30 hours into P3 and I'm only on level 59 of Tartarus... it's going to take me until December to beat.[/QUOTE]

Damn you really play slow. Im slower then most people at playing RPGs but im on floor like 160 or something like that 40 hours in.

So I know a lot of people were getting P3:FES in their Gold Box for preorder when that came out to get the slight discount. Is that still doable with P4? I've never done anything with Gold Box. :x

[quote name='Rocko']So I know a lot of people were getting P3:FES in their Gold Box for preorder when that came out to get the slight discount. Is that still doable with P4? I've never done anything with Gold Box. :x[/quote]Yeah, in fact P4 just popped up in my gold box today. I think I'll go ahead and go for it.

[quote name='chewster777']Yeah, in fact P4 just popped up in my gold box today. I think I'll go ahead and go for it.[/QUOTE]

What's the price in the Gold Box?

It's easy, just clear out your recommendations by going through your "items you own, rated, etc.". Once your recommendations are empty, claim to own Persona FES or any other game on the Persona 4 page.

Once it appears in your recommendations, state you are not interested in any other things you see on that page.

Give it some time and it should appear in your Gold Box. Someone explained this to me in the FES thread.

I think I pre-ordered at 37.99 in the Gold Box.

Hmm. I checked the box for "Don't use for recommendations" box on all the items I own, but I'm still getting recommendations for items in my Wish List, and they don't seem to ever end. I just keep getting more even though I click not interested for every single item.

Anyone else notice that Chie Satonaka's Persona looks like Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill when she's wearing the yellow jump suit?

Atlus announced at the Gamestop Conference that Persona 4 preorders will get an artbook. Yay!

EDIT: Picture.

P4Preorder.jpg

I'm not sure about the preorder bonus. It was Gamestop's show, so I'm assuming there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon get it as well as they are Atlus' official retailer.

As for the shirt, Atlus has been giving them out at various contests and events. Currently, they are having a halloween costume contest and the prize includes a shirt.

[quote name='thelonepig']Atlus announced at the Gamestop Conference that Persona 4 preorders will get an artbook. Yay!

EDIT: Picture.

P4Preorder.jpg
[/quote]The game is being displayed on a widescreen monitor. Does anyone think Atlus USA could be adding a 16:9 display mode for the localization?

ETA: Yeah, the more I look at that image, the more sure I am that it's not just stretched to fit the widescreen television. The minimap and the character heads don't look distorted. I guess we'll find out for sure soon enough.

[quote name='willardhaven']I hope Amazon gets the book, otherwise I have to go to GS.[/quote]Same here. It would be amazing if the T-shirt was included as well.

Oh Crap, good heads up on the pre-order bonus. With Atlus being linked with Amazon on sales I would highly doubt that Amazon buyers DON'T get the item, but if for some reason they don't then I'll have to pre-order it through Gamestop.com

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Oh Crap, good heads up on the pre-order bonus. With Atlus being linked with Amazon on sales I would highly doubt that Amazon buyers DON'T get the item, but if for some reason they don't then I'll have to pre-order it through Gamestop.com[/quote]Well, Gamestop did get the exclusive preorder bonus for Yggdra Union. But what I'm hearing about P4 is that Atlus wants to include all of the bonuses with all preorders, not do retailer exclusives.

I'm surprised that nothing about the new preorder bonus nor the possible 16:9 aspect ratio has shown up on Kotaku/Joystiq/1UP. They're not even talking about it over at the official Atlus forums.

It's official.

Pre-order Bonus: "Persona 4" Extras
The "Persona 4" two-disc set includes the game and its Shoji Meguro composed soundtrack. Pre-order while supplies last and get a deluxe, limited-edition art book featuring acclaimed "Persona 4" artist Shigenori Soejima. The extras will come packaged inside the box with your game. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible.

[quote name='newlu']It's official.

Pre-order Bonus: "Persona 4" Extras
The "Persona 4" two-disc set includes the game and its Shoji Meguro composed soundtrack. Pre-order while supplies last and get a deluxe, limited-edition art book featuring acclaimed "Persona 4" artist Shigenori Soejima. The extras will come packaged inside the box with your game. Must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to be eligible.[/quote]That is awesome. I suppose it doesn't matter if you've already preordered prior to this annoucement?

Also, Aram confirmed on the Atlus forum that the game does not feature a 16:9 display mode, sadly. It just looked damn good using the television's nonlinear stretch.

"The extras will come packaged inside the box with your game."

Does it mean it will be like the original P3 with a nice outer box holding both the game and the artbook?

I'm not sure, but the artbook looks like preorder item. You can preorder at Gamestop as well with the bonus artbook.

281959_bonusLG.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71982

Every single copy of Persona 4 is a special two-disc set. In addition to the game disc, customers will receive a soundtrack CD featuring selected music from Persona 4.

Bonus
Reserve Persona 4 and receive a free art book. Offer good while supplies last.

All Customers: Art book will ship with the game.

It's a 100+ page artbook too which is pretty interesting.

Did anyone notice that they changed Kuma's name to "Teddy?" Kind of lame if you ask me.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Kuma=Bear in Japanese.

Not that farfetched, but considered they're keeping other Japanese names Japanese...[/quote]

I'm aware that kuma is bear. They kept it in the Tekken series so why not here?

dunno the characters, but is that his actual name? And if it is, do they call him that as a "nickname," in other words, their intention is to call him "Bear" in the first place, rather than by his name "Kuma", if that makes sense. If it is, then it was probably only natural for them to translate it as Teddy so that english speakers can get the reference....or something...

btw...I don't suppose this game will have japanese voices along with english?

[quote name='imascrub']dunno the characters, but is that his actual name? And if it is, do they call him that as a "nickname," in other words, their intention is to call him "Bear" in the first place, rather than by his name "Kuma", if that makes sense. If it is, then it was probably only natural for them to translate it as Teddy so that english speakers can get the reference....or something...

btw...I don't suppose this game will have japanese voices along with english?[/quote]

If 3 was any indication most likely not.

RPGFan has posted a review.

Graphics: 90%
Sound: 90%
Gameplay: 95%
Control: 90%
Story: 95%
Overall: 94%

I skipped past the story section, but my favorite part:

One of the best of these resources is none other than the good ol' square button, which reduces travel time between destinations in simulation mode. A press of the square button brings up an on-screen menu of the different areas in a particular zone. From the main character's homeroom in the school, for example, the player can instantly travel to the first floor, second floor, the roof, or to the next building – without the monotonous hassle of running up and down staircases. The game greatly benefits from this addition to the control scheme, which players can utilize until the very end of the adventure for convenient navigation.

One of the best of these resources is none other than the good ol' square button, which reduces travel time between destinations in simulation mode. A press of the square button brings up an on-screen menu of the different areas in a particular zone. From the main character's homeroom in the school, for example, the player can instantly travel to the first floor, second floor, the roof, or to the next building – without the monotonous hassle of running up and down staircases. The game greatly benefits from this addition to the control scheme, which players can utilize until the very end of the adventure for convenient navigation.

That does sound awesome. My biggest gripe was the time it took to move around the school, etc really got annoying after a while.

I learned my lesson the last time. I'm not buying this for at least a year after release to ensure that a more definitive version doesnt get released for cheaper later on.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm 30 hours into P3 and I'm only on level 59 of Tartarus... it's going to take me until December to beat.[/quote]

I think I have you, and many others beat. I'm 110 hours in and on level 85 of Tartarus.

But I've fallen asleep a few times playing it ;)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I learned my lesson the last time. I'm not buying this for at least a year after release to ensure that a more definitive version doesnt get released for cheaper later on.[/QUOTE]

To me P3 is the definitive version, it has a matching guide and art book. I understand your logic completely though because FES does have more actual game for your dollar.

[quote name='willardhaven']To me P3 is the definitive version, it has a matching guide and art book. I understand your logic completely though because FES does have more actual game for your dollar.[/QUOTE]

And you cant beat $36 for a game that comes in a box with extras. Seriously even if this game doesnt become rare the price wont drop much from $36 even if they printed 10x as many copies as there are players.

I'm pre-ordering this at Gamestop.
Not because I want to support Gamestop, although I don't have as much of a problem with it as others seem to, but because I want to have it on release day.

2 months-ish is a long time to wait.

bread's done
Back