Personal Check question. I been Robbed!

pinkofloydo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I bought a college textbook set from an ebay seller about two and a half weeks ago. I send him a personal check and when it was on the way to him, I get a message from ebay about loss prevention. (Seller was suspended, had 100% feedback before suspension). I emailed him askin what was going on and he said that he was late paying his ebay fees and that he will send my books asap. He told me I had nothing to worry. I didnt terminate the check because I needed the books right away for school, he had 100% feedback before, communicated back to me. Of course he cashed the check and 1 and a half week later, never answered my emails, etc. I need your advise, is there anyway I can talk to my bank and get my money back. Am I lucked out of $86. :cry:Help. Thank you All!

You are a dum-dum.

As soon as he got suspended, you should have canceled the check.

Ebay doesn't suspended people all willy-nilly like for no reason at all.

Ebay might give you the money back less a $25 fee, I don't know the details of going about it though (it should be somewhere on their site)

Thanks Guys I know I am a Dumbass but I had the right reasons. Can anyone give me bank transfer advise as well. For example, they transfer my money back from his account to mine? Thanks again!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']People use personal checks on eBay?[/QUOTE]

I've taken personal checks before on ebay. Of course, I wait for the check to clear before I ship the item. Sometimes the buyer will bitch about me being a slow shipper but I always state in the auction, "accepts checks, will ship when check clears."

[quote name='Dead of Knight']People use personal checks on eBay?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately.

It's generally people who either aren't internet savvy enough to use Paypal (think 60-year-old-women who sell stuff they made like Teddy Bears). Or People who are too cheap to pay the Paypal fees.

Well, there are no PP fees for buyers.

But anyway, obviously contact your bank about what they can do. But they might not be able to do anything.

Next would be mail fraud charges and possibly other charges. eBay should actually send you an e-mail with decent details of what steps you can do, or you can check the trading problems or mail fraud guide on this site's FAQ. If it's only been 1.5 weeks since he cashed the check it's possible (though unlikely) that the books are in transit via Media Mail. Coupled with the fact that he stopped answering e-mails as soon as he got his money and has been booted from eBay it's probably most likely that he's cheating you.

im sorry that this happend to you. but since you sent him a mailed check, theres a few things you could do:
1. contact his local law enforcement and report a fraud. you do have his address do you? even if its a P.O. Box it should have a valid zip code where he can be tracked.
2. contact your bank and explain your situation. its unlikely they'll refund your money though. but you could always try.
3. report it to the feds online, it will take A LONG WHILE but it'll come thru. make his life a living hell cause hes sure made your a little.

about #3, i had a situation a while back when i bought a ddr dance pad on Yahoo and the guy didnt send it. i figured hes a fraud so i reported him to the FBI with his name, address. 4 to 5 months later i got a money order from him with the same amount i sent him and stating hes sorry for the inconvenience. so i guess the feds sent him a letter of some sort...

but next time dont send a check, use it where you know who the person youre handing it to.

If it was a personal check, he had it cashed at a bank or somewhere that would take down a DL. As stated above, get with your bank ASAP. If theyre worth a shit, theyll help you.

[quote name='pinkofloydo']Bump[/quote]
I don't understand what your really looking for as far as advice goes, you got screwed, there isn't a magic fairy or word that will return that money to you.

As suggested numerous times get in contact with your bank. There isn't much else you can do, or anyone can tell you to do.

bread's done
Back