Pet died? No problem, we'll just clone it.

blindinglights

CAGiversary!
Anyone hear about this show coming on TLC, next week I believe.

Follows this woman who paid fifty thousand dollars for scientists in South Korea to clone her deceased dog.

Don't worry about those extra dogs (who are sometimes deformed) made in the cloning process because they just so happen to raise dogs for meat in South Korea.

How long until the South Korean dead relative cloning industry blows up?

Seriously though... WTF on so many levels.

I guess this comes down to people's views on eating dog. I don't see anything really wrong with it being culturally acceptable elsewhere, I guess it just makes people feel weird since they're cute and domesticated as pets. Most countries eat horse, almost the same deal. Almost. I know people get touchy about house pets.

Because if this was about cloning cattle, which I think is already done regularly (right?), then it wouldn't be a huge issue. But perhaps her wanting her pet back is a bit shallow, and if she values dogs so much then I don't really respect her in letting them eat the clones that don't come out perfect.

As much as I love my cats for their awesome personalities, this is stupid. I'd rather adopt one of the millions of homeless cats in this country.

Yeah, I'd never have any desire to get a clone of a pet. Need to grieve and move on to a new pet IMO.

That said, I love the hell out of my cat, but probably won't get another one after he passes (he's 11). Just too much mess and hassle with my hectic schedule. Which is why I don't have a god--just no time for walking a dog etc., and too much hassle when traveling.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I guess this comes down to people's views on eating dog. I don't see anything really wrong with it being culturally acceptable elsewhere, I guess it just makes people feel weird since they're cute and domesticated as pets. Most countries eat horse, almost the same deal. Almost. I know people get touchy about house pets.

Because if this was about cloning cattle, which I think is already done regularly (right?), then it wouldn't be a huge issue. But perhaps her wanting her pet back is a bit shallow, and if she values dogs so much then I don't really respect her in letting them eat the clones that don't come out perfect.[/QUOTE]

Really 2 different issue here, cloning and eating dog meat. BTW the types of dog raise for meat in Korea is different from the type for pets.

[quote name='dmaul1114']That said, I love the hell out of my cat, but probably won't get another one after he passes (he's 11). Just too much mess and hassle with my hectic schedule. Which is why I don't have a god...[/QUOTE]
This is awesome to me.

Repet-1316019662.jpg

What would Arnie do? hmmm??

[quote name='dmaul1114']That is an awesomely random typo. :D I won't even bother correcting it. :D[/QUOTE]

Gods can be so inconvenient.

People overestimate cloning... it's essentially somewhat similar to creating a twin via a DNA transplant... the organism still goes through its own development and is exposed to its own unique micro and macro-environment and has epigenetic variations as well as differences in gene expression...

[quote name='Clak']I'd imagine that cleaning god's litter box would be a bitch.

Yep, god is a cat. Surprised?[/QUOTE]

My cat certainly thinks he's a god.

[quote name='BigT']People overestimate cloning... it's essentially somewhat similar to creating a twin via a DNA transplant... the organism still goes through its own development and is exposed to its own unique micro and macro-environment and has epigenetic variations as well as differences in gene expression...[/QUOTE]

Considering the personality of the pet isn't cloned, can you imagine how bad it would suck if the clone was a hell spawn?

$50,000 for an asshole pet that looks like the one you used to love.

[quote name='blindinglights']Anyone hear about this show coming on TLC, next week I believe.

Follows this woman who paid fifty thousand dollars for scientists in South Korea to clone her deceased dog.

Don't worry about those extra dogs (who are sometimes deformed) made in the cloning process because they just so happen to raise dogs for meat in South Korea.

How long until the South Korean dead relative cloning industry blows up?

Seriously though... WTF on so many levels.[/QUOTE]

Did anyone else think Alien Resurrection wasn't so bad. That scene where they come across the failed clones - that was deep.

Congrats to this bitch - she doomed her dog to several completely completely horrific existences for another life. Most fucked up thing - I'm sure some folks would think that's worth it.

This should be the strongest evidence that trickle down economics doesn't work; because rich people spend their money on the stupidest fucking things.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This should be the strongest evidence that trickle down economics doesn't work; because rich people spend their money on the stupidest fucking things.[/QUOTE]

Nah - I bet this stupid bitch inherited the money from her dead husband.

The rich don't spend their money - how do you think they got rich?

[quote name='Clak']I'd imagine that cleaning god's litter box would be a bitch.

Yep, god is a cat. Surprised?[/QUOTE]

My cat, is an awesome cat...

What a winner...

At the time, Tarantola had recently lost her job on Wall Street and convinced the company to let her pay $50,000 instead because her journey was being chronicled by TLC for an upcoming hour-long special, "I Cloned My Pet," which airs on Jan. 11 at 9 p.m. ET.

Article @ ABC News

I love my dogs more than is probably normal, so I'm really on the fence. On the other hand, knowing that the "failed clones" would suffer keeps me pretty well on the side of the fence that says no cloning.

This is also gonna mean that when the neighbor's annoying little chihuahua dies, they can just make another little fucker...

[quote name='nasum']I love my dogs more than is probably normal, so I'm really on the fence. On the other hand, knowing that the "failed clones" would suffer keeps me pretty well on the side of the fence that says no cloning.[/QUOTE]

But, a cloned dog is basically just a twin (see BigT's post). The clone wouldn't be the same dog.

i think the issue here is more about what ppl are willing to spend money on. if the cost to clone a pet was much much less it would seem more reasonable or not even make the news.

on the topic of eating, paying several hundred dollars for a cut of meat seems ridiculous to those who cannot see paying for it...and this being CAG, take the kid in china who paid thousands of dollars to play an MMO in the public square for a few hours. seems like a waste of money.

I don't think it's a morality issue since she's paying to clone a dead dog vs paying to clone a family member...it's just a subject and price point we cannot relate to.

in short...dood, $50k to clone your dead dog? holy crap man, is that dog at least an award winning pure breed that she can resell the pups and get mad bank breeding it out? crazy...i'd rather buy a dog and pay someone to clean up after it with that money.

[quote name='100xp']i think the issue here is more about what ppl are willing to spend money on. if the cost to clone a pet was much much less it would seem more reasonable or not even make the news.

on the topic of eating, paying several hundred dollars for a cut of meat seems ridiculous to those who cannot see paying for it...and this being CAG, take the kid in china who paid thousands of dollars to play an MMO in the public square for a few hours. seems like a waste of money.

I don't think it's a morality issue since she's paying to clone a dead dog vs paying to clone a family member...it's just a subject and price point we cannot relate to.

in short...dood, $50k to clone your dead dog? holy crap man, is that dog at least an award winning pure breed that she can resell the pups and get mad bank breeding it out? crazy...i'd rather buy a dog and pay someone to clean up after it with that money.[/QUOTE]

Well my Aunt recently just paid $8000 to the vet. She also recently lost her job.

[quote name='100xp']i think the issue here is more about what ppl are willing to spend money on. if the cost to clone a pet was much much less it would seem more reasonable or not even make the news.

in short...dood, $50k to clone your dead dog? holy crap man, is that dog at least an award winning pure breed that she can resell the pups and get mad bank breeding it out? crazy...i'd rather buy a dog and pay someone to clean up after it with that money.[/QUOTE]

IMO, it's not just an issue of what people are willing to spend money on, it's an issue of whether or not these people even understand what they're going to get when they clone their pet.

[quote name='62t']Well my Aunt recently just paid $8000 to the vet. She also recently lost her job.[/QUOTE]

this isn't in any way meant to sound harsh...there is pet insurance. a lot of my friends who have dogs and cats that aren't adopted strays have for their little friends. my neighbor ended up getting it after his cat had a collapsed ear and an infection. also, ouch...8k.

[quote name='chiwii']IMO, it's not just an issue of what people are willing to spend money on, it's an issue of whether or not these people even understand what they're going to get when they clone their pet.[/QUOTE]

you know how pet owners can be, while pets can do magical things for the soul of their owners i think some ppl will go to great lengths to preserve that feeling or try and recreate it...by incredible or even unthinkable means. she must have loved her dog more than we can comprehend.

On eating dogs in Korea: Its only a specific breed, which you cannot own. People still own domestic pets.

On cloning, I believe its still the case that clones dont live all that long anyway because the telomeres are still the same between the clone and cloned. You can think of these as timekeeper pieces. They degrade with each cell division and you have more and more problems as these wind down.

bread's done
Back