Phantasy Star Ep. III: Is it safe?

I am pretty sure you can call SEGA and they will issue you a new key for online play

everytime I walk in a store I walk away from the GCN kiosks because the video fo this game looks fucking amazing

Yeah, PSO ver. III definitely looks cool, but card battles? C'mon, that's kinda lame to me, especially in an online game.

I can't wait for the new PSO, though. I'm hoping that it's a legit MMORPG. That would kill!

It's an interesting game online. It's not going to grab you and keep you enthralled for hundreds of hours like the first three did (PSO, PSO v.2, PSO EP I&II being three.) but it is an interesting spin for the series. Definitely not worth a HL for very long. You can get enough out of PSO EP III in 30-60 days to feel you saw it all.

You know, it's games like this that would be great on XBL. I won't pay $9 a month anymore to play it but it would be really cool to play online every now and again.

"What have we learned, Howard? It's safe. It's very, very safe."

I'm not sure about it. I knew there was a lot of trouble with this back in the Dreamcast days, haven't heard about recently.

Try calling sega and see if they will issue you a new key.

If you already have a HL for PSO ep. 2, ep. 3 is supposed to a free added on bonus to play. Just try entering the old key and see if it works.

I absolutely adore PSO but...IMO ep. 3 is lame. Card battles just aren't my thing really. Hopefully you can get a used copy to work, because this game wasn't worth the $50 I paid for a brand new copy. Maybe a $20 budget title, if that.

I kept wanting to go up to the monsters and smack them like in previous PSO games, not sit around patiently to deal a lucky hand of cards. And to have to play ONLY card games in the new PSO ep. 3 levels made me foam at the mouth. BA mode or endless nightmare quest on a revolving platform at Caelum's Tower anyone? Now that would have been REAL fun. Its too bad the Ep. 1, 2, and 3 gameplay wasn't more integrated....

Sega, your next PSO game had better be really good to make my disappointment with PSO ep. 3 go away!

Are any of the PSO games any fun offline? The reviewers tend to toss off a line or two about it, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Also, how easy/hard is it for a n00b to enter the online world?

The gamecube version CAN be fun offline, it has a multiplayer split screen option so you can play with 4 people at once if you can't get online. And it has various little sidequests you can do.

Its quite easy for a noob to enter the online world in this game, provide they do a few things first:
Buy a keyboard.
Try finishing the game offline once, just so you can get some idea of what to expect in terms of gameplay. Also, your character's stats won't start at level 1 when you go online.
Just like in the real world, don't be a dick. Or you'll find yourself playing alone all the time.
Also, DONT LOBBY SPAM. If you really want to piss people off and play solo all the time, just make an annoying chat symbol with sound effects and keep using it over and over again.

Also, if you tell people you are a beginner, you will find plenty of people who are willing to help you out.

Cool. Now to go seek out a copy (and one of those nifty keyboards).

How much $$ would I be looking at a month? And how much longer is Sega going to leave up the PSO servers?

$8.95 a month covers both PSO I&II and PSOIII, with the first month free.

You can get a Datel Powerboard for $19.99 at codejunkies.com. I found a new one at GameStop for $14.99. The keyboard itself sucks, but you can use your own PS/2 keyboard if you want (you're basically paying for the adapter, but they threw in a cheap keyboard for convenience).

The servers are slowly dying (as expected for a game that's been available for almost 2 years). I suspect Sonic Team will maintain the servers until the next-gen consoles have been released, though... :?:

I'd like to jump in here and dispel a couple of rumors.

Once you register a serial # and create a hunters license, that username/password is forever sealed to that serial number. I have called SEGA twice on this matter with my PSO 1&2. I called the second time just to make sure I didn't get some dope the first time. So if you register PSO 3, you can still go online, but it will be as the previous user.

[quote name='ZForce915']I'd like to jump in here and dispel a couple of rumors.

Once you register a serial # and create a hunters license, that username/password is forever sealed to that serial number. I have called SEGA twice on this matter with my PSO 1&2. I called the second time just to make sure I didn't get some dope the first time. So if you register PSO 3, you can still go online, but it will be as the previous user.[/quote]

ZForce is correct. Unless the previous owner of this game gives you the username/password and serial #s to their hunters license, you will not be able to go online with this game. So do not buy this game used unless the seller gives you that info.

bread's done
Back