Phantasy Star Online 2 Open Beta Starts June 21st! - Characters carry over to retail

red flare graf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?p=38939729

Phantasy Star Online 2, Sega's newest free-to-play MMO, starts its Open Beta this Thursday, June 21, 2012! Who else will be playing besides me? Characters are supposed to carry over to the retail release, so it's a good time to start. You can level your characters up to 30 (40 in the final release)!

FYI, the game will be in Japanese only until an unofficial patch is released (shouldn't be long after the beta opens).

Beta Registration (in Japanese) and the Registration Guide for those who aren't fluent (..99.9% of us?)

Client download: Mirror 1 - Mirror 2 (Multi-part) - Torrent

The game is going to be released on PC and PS Vita ONLY. A release date has not been set and Sega has said that it will NOT be available for consoles.

System Requirements:

OS: Windows XP 32bit | Windows Vista / 7 32bit or 64bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or higher
RAM: Windows XP, 1.5GB or higher | Windows Vista / 7, 2GB or higher
HDD: 8GB or higher
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT or similar graphics card or higher
DirectX: 9.0c or higher
Internet: Broadband connection

The character creator can be downloaded from the Sega website here which can be used to benchmark your system and give you an idea of how the game will run for you. The translation guide for this can be found here.

Japanese menu translation (PSO-World)
Menu translation video
Translation Mini-Guide (Bumped.org)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. I downloaded it and I think I updated it...maybe. Any word on when the beta ends?

I hope the English patch for it comes out in time.

I completely didn't know about this! I played PSO quite a bit on both GameCube (lots of splitscreen) and Xbox and I had an active subscription on that version, also bought the card game on GC and PSU on 360 and used to play on a PSO private server on PC so I am definitely looking forward to this, thanks for the heads up!

I played in closed beta and was very disappointed in the game. The game is way too much like PSU and not enough like PSO. I really don't understand why it isn't called PSU 2.

Edit: Ian PSO 2 is a free to play game. They haven't announced it for the US yet but as far as I know when it releases in Japan soon anyone can just download the game. I dont think they will region block it since they let many non Japanese players like myself into the closed beta.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Shit, wait. Is this actually coming to the US? My no-MMO tenure may be forced to an end. This is not good.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been announced but 95% of Phantasy Star titles have come our way and it's the Phantasy Star/Mega Man 25th Anniversary, so there's no reason to believe it won't. They haven't even announced a date for the JP version.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']I played in closed beta and was very disappointed in the game. The game is way too much like PSU and not enough like PSO. I really don't understand why it isn't called PSU 2.[/QUOTE]

That's seems to be opposite of the consensus the majority of players over at PSO-World have come to, which is why I'm excited.

Oh cool, I absolutely loved PSO on Xbox, played the shit out of that splitscreen with my cousin. I'll definitely download this tonight and hope that the English patch comes out soon.

[quote name='red flare graf']That's seems to be opposite of the consensus the majority of players over at PSO-World have come to, which is why I'm excited.[/QUOTE]

Ya that's because most of those people enjoyed PSU and PSO. I didn't like PSU and PSO 2 plays like PSU with some PSO elements. It really comes down to what you thought of PSU since the structure of PSO 2 is taken from PSU. And this is where my disappointment stems. I was expecting it to play like PSO Blue Burst but it doesn't.

Not to be overly negative, there were some good things about it. The combat and graphics are great. The areas are bigger and they give the game a mmo like feel because you can run into other players while questing.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope the English patch for it comes out in time.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how long that'll take but since there's already a patch for the Closed Beta, I'm betting they won't have to make that many modifications to the existing one.. If I see it released before any of you guys do, I'll put it in the OP!

[quote name='red flare graf']It hasn't been announced but 95% of Phantasy Star titles have come our way and it's the Phantasy Star/Mega Man 25th Anniversary, so there's no reason to believe it won't. They haven't even announced a date for the JP version.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, they're also shutting down the Phantasy Star Universe US/PAL servers for the PSO2 release, so there's even more reason to believe.

[quote name='red flare graf']I added the character creator download to the bottom of the OP, in case anyone is curious as to how the game will run for them.[/QUOTE]
The direct link gives me a 404. How can we navigate to the download?

Edit: Found it. Click the centered blue button towards the bottom, and then pick one of three download locations.

[quote name='pete5883']The direct link gives me a 404. How can we navigate to the download?

Edit: Found it. Click the centered blue button towards the bottom, and then pick one of three download locations.[/QUOTE]

They must've just moved it today. Thanks for the heads up, I edited the OP.

registered and downloading.

well i paused the download earlier and now i cannot resume since the quota has been exceeded.

no pso2 for me i guess.

[quote name='crystalklear64']registered and downloading.

well i paused the download earlier and now i cannot resume since the quota has been exceeded.

no pso2 for me i guess.[/QUOTE]

I'll try to find another mirror.

Updated the OP with some translation guides as well.

Edit: Found another working mirror, listed as Mirror 2 for the moment in the OP. I'm finally getting around to installing it now, so if there's anything weird, I'll keep everyone up to date.
Edit2: Found a couple more working mirrors. Let me know if anyone finds issues with them, please! :cool: Patching as I type this..

[quote name='whoknows']I haven't played at all yet.

Waiting on the English patch. I think I'd enjoy the game significantly less without it.[/QUOTE]

The English patch is finished with the translation process, but the creators are having problems getting the game to take it.. I'll try to keep ya posted. Not sure why it's more difficult than the closed beta that they had already patched.

Any word yet on an English patch? I've looked into some videos and feel like I am missing too much if I don't understand what is going on in game.

Yeah. I tried playing it as well and it seems like a ton more work when you can't read any of it. :( I love PSO but I'm put off by trying to read anything in the gui. My wife refuses to read stuff out to me. :(

Started a character on Ship 8, enjoying it. This is only the open beta, though? How is the game's monetary model going to work out in the full release?

[quote name='WindyCityGamer']Is this going to be supported on any mobile platforms after release? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Its coming to Vita, iOS and Android but the iOS and Android versions wont be the full game.

bread's done
Back