Phantasy Star Universe thread

A

Apossum

Anyone plan on getting this when it comes out?

I'm probably getting it on day 1. it'll be nice to get in on the ground floor of an online RPG for a change!

I haven't read much about it, but I know I like PSO:BB.

I used to play the shit out of PSO, for the DreamCast... but I'm not gonna play, this time around, because the monthly subcription is absurdity.

[quote name='Brak']I used to play the shit out of PSO, for the DreamCast... but I'm not gonna play, this time around, because the monthly subcription is absurdity.[/QUOTE]

any word on how much it'll be? I wouldn't mind if it was $8.99 like Blue Burst is now.

they should've done it like every other 360 game-- get normal patches and all that for free, but charge a few bucks for new maps and missions. The overall cost would be cheaper.

Im getting it on day 1, been looking forward to this game for awhile. Loved it on dreamcast, so this should be tons of fun.

I might be getting it. One of my best friends just got a 360 and is really into MMORPGs and loved PSO, so it will be fun if we both get it. I'm not feeling the monthly fee though...

Eh, I dunno. I was more than likely going to get it if it was $40, but $60 + $10 a month is a bit steep. Especially when it really isn't an MMO, it's more along the lines of Guild Wars.

I'm considering it. I hate monthly fees for games. It seems to me that any paying I do for a game should either be all upfront and no monthly fee, or all monthly fees and give me the software for free. But damn, it just feels like they want their cake and they want to eat it as well.

But I digress.

I might get it if there is a good group of CAGs to play with.

Why does there have to be a monthly fee, though? Is it because SEGA knows it's one of their niche games?

It's not an MMO... and it doesn't offer any real services, or anything -- especially since they're 100% likely to charge for downloadable content, as it's a niche following.

I'm still debating to get on launch day probably wont cause 9.99 fee so i'll probably wait for a price drop then get it.

I'm getting this game as soon as humanly possible. It's easily my most-wanted game.

Probably the only game that I honestly don't care that they charge a monthly fee, I'll pay it. Heck, I'll skip eating out a couple times a month.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I thought I read somewhere that the 360 version won't have monthly online fees? Could be wrong though.[/QUOTE]

yep, that's been debunked.

BUT the current rumor is that you can pay your fee with MS Points, which would be awesome.

$60 (game) + $120 (one year of monthly fees) + $60 (the useless Xbox Live subcription) = $240 to play for one year.

I know I'm harping, but when it's broken down, it hurts my balls.

[quote name='Brak']$60 (game) + $120 (one year of monthly fees) + $60 (the useless Xbox Live subcription) = $240 to play for one year.

I know I'm harping, but when it's broken down, it hurts my balls.[/QUOTE]

well, when you put it like that ;)

I doubt I'll play this for a full year. I only played Blue Burst for 2 consecutive months once or twice-- I usually just buy a subscription when I get the urge.

I loved this game on the Dreamcast, mostly because I had the broadband adapter and it was one of the only games that supported it, but I had the keyboard and all that shit. But they aint gettin more dollars outta me to play it on the 360.

[quote name='ksuwild25']I thought I read somewhere that the 1st month of online service will be free, is that still true?[/QUOTE]
They were going to have a 14 day free trial for the PS2 version, but the Japanese players figured out an exploit which allowed them to play for free past the 14 days.

So, they took out the 14 day free trial. They did instead offer free online play until October 1st, but that doesn't help anyone here.

I would like to add that I got my Live Gold subscription for free, and my MS points for free, so if they let you pay with Points = awesome.

yeah, I got 6 or 7 years of live for like $100 and there always ways to get cheap points so I'm all set :)

here are some screens:

xbox360-1.jpg

universe_09.jpg

universe_12.jpg

I heard one of my friends saying that the Japanese launch has been nothing but a complete mess. They were having to do character rollbacks, servers were fucking up, and they ended up just bringing the whole thing down so they could "relaunch at a later date". I never really got into PSO (I wanted to play it really bad but never got the chance) but I remember hearing how the Christmas decorations were still up in game like 7 months after X-mas had ended :lol: fuckin' Sega...

[quote name='Diiz'] I remember hearing how the Christmas decorations were still up in game like 7 months after X-mas had ended :lol: fuckin' Sega...[/QUOTE]

:lol: just like in real life.

The first month isn't even free? I think I might have to cancel my preorder now. No way am I paying for the first month. If I like it I may continue, but it's either pay it all or don't play at all. Wow, this sucks.

The game looks awesome, but the monthy fee is quite a drawback. I'll probably only get it if some of my buddies do...

I am most likely going to get it. I played back in the Dreamcast day but quit because you couldn't transfer your character to the new systems AND they closed the dreamcast servers of course. My character was pretty cool, a lvl like 130-140 HUcast (I think that is the right name). If PSU is really really like x100 times better then PSO then it might be worth it. Space ships and high tech weapons are my favorite sooo it get's a lot of points in that area.

Like many others here, I'd have been all over it if not for the monthly fee. I guess we're paying so that Sega can keep our characters on their servers? That's hardly worth $10 a month, though - especially if we don't even get a free month. Isn't that standard, anyway?

I wanted this at first, but then I heard about the $10 a month. I already pay $15 a month for World of Warcraft, I can't be plopping down another $10 on a different game.

[quote name='tcrash247']I wanted this at first, but then I heard about the $10 a month. I already pay $15 a month for World of Warcraft, I can't be plopping down another $10 on a different game.[/QUOTE]

oh god, they charge $15 a month for that game???!! congrats Blizzard :roll:

[quote name='Brak']$60 (game) + $120 (one year of monthly fees) + $60 (the useless Xbox Live subcription) = $240 to play for one year.

I know I'm harping, but when it's broken down, it hurts my balls.[/QUOTE]

Well, you won't have to have the Live Gold subscription to play PSU. You'll only have to pay the $9.99/mo for PSU. Of course, most people have Gold for other games.

If they take point cards, that will be very nice. I can get a 1600 point card for roughly $8 out-of-pocket. So $4/mo will definitely work. :)

Demo will be on marketplace before release date the creators said.
So, once I see how that it, I'll think about buying the game.

[quote name='argyle']Well, you won't have to have the Live Gold subscription to play PSU. You'll only have to pay the $9.99/mo for PSU. Of course, most people have Gold for other games.

If they take point cards, that will be very nice. I can get a 1600 point card for roughly $8 out-of-pocket. So $4/mo will definitely work. :)[/QUOTE]
But that's my point -- if you have Gold, you're paying $60 a year to not be able to play PSU with it; rendering it useless.

It's a fat $60 down the shitter, in regards to this title.

[quote name='Brak']But that's my point -- if you have Gold, you're paying $60 a year to not be able to play PSU with it; rendering it useless.

It's a fat $60 down the shitter, in regards to this title.[/QUOTE]

that's like saying my car is worthless because I walk to where I need to get to most of the time.

you got live for other games, downloadable content etc. etc. but since this one game doesn't require Gold, your whole investment in Live is worthless?

[quote name='Apossum']that's like saying my car is worthless because I walk to where I need to get to most of the time.

you got live for other games, downloadable content etc. etc. but since this one game doesn't require Gold, your whole investment in Live is worthless?[/QUOTE]
Right, but in this regard, a Live subcription is useless -- I thought that's what it's for; what we paid for, to play games online.

[quote name='Bazz']The 1st month has always been free on the other pso games this one will be for sure to.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

[quote name='Bazz']The 1st month has always been free on the other pso games this one will be for sure to.[/QUOTE]
No, it won't because of the exploit the Japanese players found.

hoping they fixed the glitch for the U.S. release so we get some free time.

I can't see them releasing it on the 360 without at least 2 weeks free.

[quote name='Apossum']oh god, they charge $15 a month for that game???!! congrats Blizzard :roll:[/QUOTE]

The 8 million or so subscribers don't seem to be complaining, though. Blizzard has probably added 18 times more content to their game than Sega ever will, as well.

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach with this, Sega has kind of been fucking up on the PSO franchise lately... I really wish MS would work out some kind of deal with these MMORPG people, because I don't ever see it taking off for reasons like Brak said.

[quote name='Roufuss']The 8 million or so subscribers don't seem to be complaining, though. Blizzard has probably added 18 times more content to their game than Sega ever will, as well.

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach with this, Sega has kind of been fucking up on the PSO franchise lately... I really wish MS would work out some kind of deal with these MMORPG people, because I don't ever see it taking off for reasons like Brak said.[/QUOTE]

the congrats was for real! the rolleyes was me thinking about how rich they are. no wonder they threw out starcraft: ghost :lol:

yeah, I'm not happy about the price, but I can handle it (and hope that they support this all the way.) I guess the companies are hellbent on their business model for online rpgs. sad part is, PSU + PSO aren't MMO...they're just like guild wars.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I can't wait to play this game. Voice Chatting RPG will be good fun.[/QUOTE]

lol... have you ever actually played an MMO? If I had to put up with voice chat in FFXI I would have quit over 2 years ago.

[quote name='Brak']Right, but in this regard, a Live subcription is useless -- I thought that's what it's for; what we paid for, to play games online.[/quote]

I agree, I was hoping the 360 version wouldn't charge extra fees since we are paying MS already. Plus the 360 version doesn't mingle with the PS2/PC users. PLUS it's just a damn faux-MMO I don't see any reason why it couldn't just be playable over Live, it's not some huge mmorpg.

[quote name='Diiz']lol... have you ever actually played an MMO? If I had to put up with voice chat in FFXI I would have quit over 2 years ago.[/QUOTE]

.......Yea I played played FFXI for like 3 months on PS2 then Beta Tested it on the Xbox 360 for 2 months. Zewone and myself were always on private chat. Chatting made shit so much easier. Like when we picked up an argo I can just say it instead of auto running then typing it out. Yea i'm lazy.

Sega has just released some new info about their 360 game, Phantasy Star Universe. According to Sega, the 360 version will be much different from the PC and PS2 installments of the game, and will take place in a different fictional universe.

Sega's Sonic Team is currently developing the one for Xbox 360, which will also be a hack and slash RPG like the PSO (Phantasy Star Online) games, and will also feature a multiplayer online mode. But if you want to fly solo, you can always opt for the single-player offline mode.

With the 360 Phantasy Star Universe, users won't be able to play with gamers on other consoles BUT, it will feature Voice Chat, which is something that the other titles from the PSO series didn't have, and will also don bumped-up high-definition visuals and support for 5.1 dolby surround sound.

The Xbox 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe will hit the shelves in US on October 24th, followed by the European and Japanese release on November 24th and December 14th respectively.

Source: http://xbox360.qj.net/Phantasy-Star-Universe-Release-dates/pg/49/aid/68035

[quote name='zewone']According to Sega, the 360 version will be much different from the PC and PS2 installments of the game, and will take place in a different fictional universe.[/QUOTE]

Yikes. This might be the worst paraphrasing I've ever seen. The source article actually said:

For a start, the Xbox 360 version will take place in a different world to the PC and PS2 versions of the game, meaning 360 owners can't play with gamers on other consoles.

bread's done
Back