Phantasy Star Zero Announced for DS

EXStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://wiieveryday.blogspot.com/

[quote name='Wii @ Everyday']キャラクター監修 窪岡俊之(アイマス)
シナリオ原案 師走トオル(PSO元オンラインクエスト担当 現在は作家)
シナリオ原案 新井輝(富士見ミステリー文庫作家 PSヘビーユーザー)
あのPSOがDSに登場! 否!完全新作の「PS0」だ
WiFi対応、マルチモードは全国のみんなと遊べる
吹き出しチャットがビジュアルチャットで進化
表現方法は無限大(イラストを送れる)
グラーシア渓谷・リオウ雪原・オゼット湿地帯さまざまな美麗ステージ
巨大ドラゴン「レイバーン」現る![/quote]

[quote name='GAF']Publisher: SEGA
Developer:
- Characters Art style is similar to Rockman Zero.
- Character designer : Toshiyuki Kubooka (IdolMaster, Lunar)
- Scenario : Tooru Shiwasu (formerly in charge of the online quest on the original PSO, now a writer)
- Scenario : Teru Arai (mystery novels writer)
- New in the PSO series
- Support Nintendo WiFi connection
- Chat system supports sending of stylus sketches[/quote]

[quote name='DrunkTigerWoods']Interesting... I wonder if its going to be more like classic phantasy star games or like PSO/PSU.[/quote]

It's apparently going to be like PSO!

Huh. Could be cool. PSO for DC was great.

Was hoping for a prequel to the first Phantasy Star, when I saw the thread title though. Ah well.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully more PSO inspired than PSU. Damn, I wanted PSO on DS since the first day I got my DS.

EDIT: Though one day late, DC birthday did no go uncelebrated :)

[quote name='antlp89']I loved the one for the GC. Hopefully this one will have the same addictive repetitive gameplay.[/quote]
Fixed

[quote name='Strell']How damn many damn RPGs do you damn people damn need?

Damn![/QUOTE]

Have you ever played PSO?

[quote name='Nohbdy']Have you ever played PSO?[/QUOTE]

Hell I did and I sure as hell wouldn't do it again! WEEE!!!!!!!!!

Hmm...looks interesting. Could be a potential buy depending on how it turns out. I played the heck out of PSO on gcn back in the days.

Very excited. WILL import. A couple of things I noticed in the trailer though:

-Character customization looked like it was limited to choosing a color. (I hope I'm wrong about that)
-Toward the end, when everyone is talking, 4 text bubbles take up 90% of the screen. Having 4 people spamming "meseta plz?" or "need moon atmzr!" when I'm trying to kill a dragon will lose my interest very quickly.
-This may be the first time I venture outside of my RaCAST comfort zone, because being a cowboy sounds awesome.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Boo. I'd rather have PS5 than PSO[/quote]

fuck you. That'll ruin the first 4 games. Next single player PS should be on entirely different star system.

I want very much. And I definitely saw more than just colors on the customization screen. Well, the FoNewearl had 2 different hats. I don't think I'd import for lack of language, but definite day one purchase!

Does anyone know if this game is going to have local ad hoc multiplayer only, or can you go online and team up with random people MMO-style?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Does anyone know if this game is going to have local ad hoc multiplayer only, or can you go online and team up with random people MMO-style?[/quote]

It will have have multiplayer over Nintendo WiFi, and I believe they are working around friend codes so you could play with strangers.

[quote name='SeanNOLA']-Character customization looked like it was limited to choosing a color. (I hope I'm wrong about that)[/quote]
Remember, when PSO was being shown in several early stages for each console, SEGA and Sonic Team always showed the basic, unaltered character designs and never any custom characters until commercials for the games were made in Japan.

We always saw SONIC, TAILS, KNUCKLES and AMY as the basic character designs. :p

But who knows? Best to keep an eye out. All I know is, I seriously hope they remember what made PSO so great. PSU was horrible and all it really got right was the battle system and character creation. That's about it. If this can be like PSO and also do away with friend codes for this game, I will GLADLY buy this up.

I have been playing the import. The game is really fun, and is basically a portable version of Phantasy Star Online. Mini-review:

The online mode is pretty decent. There is no server that you connect to like in previous PSO games. Instead, you can have the game randomly set you up with a party (filter by area and/or difficulty), or you can play with people with whom you have exchanged Friend Codes.

In random games, you can only select chats from a very small list of predetermined phrases like "Hello", "Thank You", "I'm going to the city", etc., which really impedes on the social aspect of online gaming. Another limitation to random games is that once you have cleared the quest or area, you can't start another quest with the same party. And you can't exchange Friend Codes, so joining a random game is like a one-night stand. :( Also, you can't trade with other people in random games.

In friend games, you can use your stylus to write or draw anything you want. You can trade with your friends, and I believe friends of friends can join, but there's no way to add them to your friends list unless they give you their friend code. The biggest problem with the Friend Codes is that both players have to add the other to see each other online. Also, setting up actual games is a hassle, since you can't send your friends messages if they are in a game, although the game itself displays an icon indicating that a friend has logged on. If you are in a game already, you can check your friends list by talking to one of the NPCs behind the counter.

Even with all of these limitations to the online system, the game is still fun as hell to play online with your friends and even random people. It's fun hacking and slashing your way through mobs of enemies, bosses, booby traps, etc. and finding rare items and rare enemy spawns is still addictive. Offline mode is good fun too.

General facts:
-8 "Areas" to explore (with randomized maps).
-You can bring up to 3 NPC party members in the offline game in either freeplay or in quests (although in some quests, you have to select certain NPCs for the storyline).
-Achievements! You can earn items and weapons by completing certain tasks like killing a certain amount of enemies, finding hidden areas, etc.
-Three difficulties: Normal, Hard, and Super Hard.
-Drops are distributed individually for each person in the game (no more running away from battle to pick up that shiny red box in the corner!)

If you enjoyed any of the previous Phantasy Star Online games, import the game immediately! There is no English language option, so the storyline will be missed, but anyone who has played PSO before will get the hang of the game in no time. The menus and battle-mechanics are nearly identical to the console/PC counterparts. The offline mode is great, the online mode could be better (I'll miss lobby idling).

I'll probably get the American version when it comes out. I played the shit out of PSO on DC and GCN and I'd love to play this with my boyfriend and other CAGs.

Tagging.

This looks great. The video was sorta ugly, but I mean, it looks damn good for the DS, no slow down or anything.

Either way, I can't wait for this to come out. PSO was great. I can't wait to get my friends in on this when it comes out. This will be nothing short of awesome.

edit: I just watched the trailer on page 1. Holy tits. My excitement for this game just shot up.

As an FYI for those looking to pre order, it's available for pre order at Gamestop. Looks like $35 will be the price there. Probably $30 elsewhere. Sega did put a decent stylus set with Sonic Chronicles. Something similar will keep my order at GS.

Big thanks for the review SeanNOLA. I'll have to steal the DS back from my wife to play it!

[quote name='Nohbdy']What the flying shit is making the localization team taking so long to translate WORDS?[/QUOTE]
Translation time isn't the only factor in determining the release date.

bread's done
Back