Phat 80GB (non-BC) versus 320GB Slim

coolz481

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
I'm down to 7GB left on my phat, non-BC 80GB PS3 and plan on getting RE4 and Code Veronica HD this month, so space is running out fast. I could just upgrade the hard drive, but the other day I noticed Amazon offering $200 trade-in credit for the 80GB system (I checked and double-checked, and it was definitely the price for a non-BC system), so I locked the trade-in price through 9/13. I figured I could picked up the Infamous 2 bundle for $300.

So, I'm looking at $100 for a hard drive upgrade to 320GB and Infamous 2. For those who have owned both models, is the slim that much quieter or energy efficient than the model I currently own? Are there any advantages of the phat that I'm overlooking? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have an 80 gb phat and 160gb slim (which was upgraded to 640gb). The slim does run quite a bit cooler than the fat and does make less fan noise, but I think the 80gb phats (non-BC) make far less fan noise than the old 60 gb models so it may not make a HUGE difference to you. The slim has a higher chance of outlasting your phat, but the disc drive will be a bit louder on the slim. The slim's CPU is smaller and more heat/energy efficient which is why you'll notice a noticeable difference in the temp/noise.

I would wait for a sale on the 160 gb slim (for $200 or so which amazon has done in the past) and upgrade the harddrive yourself instead of buying the 320gb slim. You can get a 640-750gb hard drive for $50-70. IMO it's worth trading in if you're getting $200 for it.

Of course, I use a PC monitor for my set up and sit 2-3 feet away from my ps3 so noise makes a big difference to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunghost']Of course, I use a PC monitor for my set up and sit 2-3 feet away from my ps3 so noise makes a big difference to me.[/QUOTE]
I thought I was the only one using a PC monitor to play my PS3 on. What size/brand do you use? What kind of ports are on it? Mine is an Acer 21.5" with an HDMI and a DVI w/ HDCP and is full HD 1080p.

I'm about 4-5 feet from mine, but it still has a hell of a picture on it.;)

Having had my 60gig original PS3 take a crap on me earlier in the year... I replaced it with a 320gb slim as well. The difference in noise alone makes it seem like a totally different console (which I suppose in some ways, it is). I also did notice a drop in my electricity bill from it, too! I'm still paranoid about losing my save games now, so I'll always use Plus's cloud storage.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I thought I was the only one using a PC monitor to play my PS3 on. What size/brand do you use? What kind of ports are on it? Mine is an Acer 21.5" with an HDMI and a DVI w/ HDCP and is full HD 1080p.

I'm about 4-5 feet from mine, but it still has a hell of a picture on it.;)[/QUOTE]

I use a 24" Dell U2410. It's been great so far, I use most of the ports on it too. It has HDMI, DVI x2, VGA, DisplayPort, Component/Composite. PS3 is connected to HDMI.

[quote name='sunghost']I use a 24" Dell U2410. It's been great so far, I use most of the ports on it too. It has HDMI, DVI x2, VGA, DisplayPort, Component/Composite. PS3 is connected to HDMI.[/QUOTE]

I also use my Computer Monitor to play the PS3 on. I use a Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD 23" monitor. The sound quality is alright on the monitor speakers, but I sometimes like to use my computer speakers to get better audio quality.

get the slim its worth it the noise difference is massive and noticable when going from a phat to slim as well as how much less heat it cranks out compared to a phat.

My old phat 60gb BC was dying on me (think it's a heat sink issue) so I replaced it with a 320gb slim. Never realized how loud my phat had gotten till I started the slim. I do miss the extra usb ports and card slots. Also having buttons is weird. I'm so used to just lightly brushing my PS3 for power and ejecting discs.

But for piece of mind, it's worth it.

[quote name='zenprime']My old phat 60gb BC was dying on me (think it's a heat sink issue) so I replaced it with a 320gb slim. Never realized how loud my phat had gotten till I started the slim. I do miss the extra usb ports and card slots. Also having buttons is weird. I'm so used to just lightly brushing my PS3 for power and ejecting discs.

But for piece of mind, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

I actually prefer the buttons lol. They're easier to see and push.

bread's done
Back