Philips 30" Widescreen HDTV (30PW850H) for $375

brianffrpg

CAGiversary!
First of all...the 30PW850H unit is REFURBISHED, much like a similar thread I saw a while ago. Also, the site it is on isn't an official Philips dealer, BUT they claim to be authorized resellers. Here's a few quick facts:

(1) Shipping is included on all purchases (i.e. you won't get charged for shipping)
(2) They charge no tax, unless you live in Ohio
(3) All HDTV monitors come with remote, 90 day warranty, and user's manual
(4) I e-mailed them about how they ship monitors, here's what they said:

"It depends, and is chosen by Philips. 90 percent of all shipments are
shipped via Pilot Air Freight, www.pilotair.com or Watkins Motor Lines,
www.watkins.com

Regardless of carrier, they ship via truck (even Pilot Air ships it on the ground). "

I thought it would be alright to post this sale considering the other Philips 30" monitor, going for $359, deal is dead.

LINK:http://www.electronicsnation.com/en/products/flypage/prod_id/30PW850H

Is this a trusted site? I've been waiting forever to get a good deal on the Philips again. I'm a little concerned about buying a refurbished TV that isn't directly from the manufacturer though.

After ordering it on 8/9/05 I received it yesterday (Keep in mind I had to postpone my delivery date for about a week since I left on vacation).

It came in a big brown Philips box w/ another Philips box inside that contained the T.V. along with a lot of cushioning.

It also came with the remote, a user's guide, and a registration card.

First of all, like what most ppl have said already, this monitor is heavy as hell so make sure you have an appropriate stand and adequate help to get the set on there. Also, my set came with a little geometry problems on the bottom right side of the screen, but it really isn't so bad so I can live with it. And my set came in with no cosmetic imperfections. :)

The picture quality is pretty good, and when viewing the stretched out picture of regular T.V. in widescreen, the difference isn't bad at all compared to regular 4:3. The picture can be a little grainy when watching regular T.V. in widescreen, but that is expected when you expand an image beyond it's normal size.

Although I haven't seen TRUE (720p/1080i) HDTV on the set, I can say that when watching dvds, regular cable, or playing xbox w/ component cables you can really tell the difference in clarity and color definition.

The only drawback to this set is that when in 480p mode, you can no longer adjust the aspect ratio, and it is just set to widescreen. But at $375, you really shouldn't be complaining about anything.

All in all, I recommend this set for anyone looking for an entry level HDTV.

[quote name='dreamvsps2']damn it, no 720p support. only 1080i

still a good deal[/QUOTE]

Why do people act like 1080i is bad?

[quote name='the3rdkey']Why do people act like 1080i is bad?[/QUOTE]

Because it's a bastard HDTV format, it's "interlaced" and not "progressive". It should be 540p, 1080i should've never come to be.

[quote name='Sarang01']Because it's a bastard HDTV format, it's "interlaced" and not "progressive". It should be 540p, 1080i should've never come to be.[/QUOTE]

And are eyes can really care to notice a huge difference?

Just a note for those that own this TV or the 34 inch version. The Direct TV HD Tivo works really well with this TV. The main reason I like that receiver is because of it's ability to change aspect ration for you automatically based on what you are watching (standard or HD) works well with the TVs inability to change aspect ratio once it's in a format above 480p. Basically you just set the HD Tivo to display everything in 1080i and the receiver will set everything in the correct aspect ratio for you. No need to ever mess with the TV.
I know this is cheap ass gamer and your thinking a HD Tivo is $500+ bucks, but I'll share a secret with you all. Right now it's $299.99 with a mail in rebate of $100.00 and free installation for existing Direct TV customers with a two-year commitment. You must talk to customer retention to get this deal and it may take more than one call. Again you must ask for customer retention, the regular CSRs will not give you this deal.
This deal may also work for new customers. If you do sign up for Direct TV as a new customer because of this and feel like being nice send me a PM and I’ll give you some of my info. I can get $50 Dtv credit per referral. I’ll also be happy to help you out with any questions about the box, TV, or wiring via PM if you do.

Credit given to: www.tivocommunity.com for this deal.

Numsay

Numsay when I go Satellite I'm going Dish no matter the HD receiver adjustments. In select areas Dish is allowing people to sign up for a YEAR of Dish 60 for $20 a month for a year if you sign up for a years worth of the 60 channels at regular price. Also you can get the HD package for FREE for 3 months and tagging on the 10 extra HD channels is $5 extra a month with the HD package.
Also I can get good Public Interest Channels with it as well as foreign channels like Arirang(Korean channel entirely in English).

bread's done
Back