Phoenix Wright hint/help request

Green-Bull

CAGiversary!
I'm stuck in Phoenix Wright. On Rise to Ashes (if that's the right name) level near the beginning. I've been trying everything for the past 2 weeks (not every day, but enough). It's getting on my nerves. I've started the level over several times to see if I didn't do something right, like present certain evidence to certain people, but no luck. You know how annoying it is to have to start the level over without having beat it yet? You can't zoom through conversations, which sucks.

SPOILERS! :)

I'm at the part where you get to investigate the crime scene for the first time. It's right after Marshall gives you the autopsy report. I have it saved right after he gives it to you. So then I tried different things since I was stuck. Like picking up the paper and closer inspecting the cell phone. Or not examining the cell phone or clicking on it either, but picking up the paper. Or not the paper, but looking at the cell phone. The phone, from what I can tell doesn't have crap on it, except the strap. After that you put it back down. Unless there's something on the cell phone I'm missing, but I checked it pretty good. As a last resort, I went down/across every grid but only the strap came up to examine. I checked the stupid K award like that also, but didn't find a thing. So I'm thinking you use it later on in the case (the award, that is).

The thing about the crime scene is, you're an attorney, so I thought if you picked up the paper note, the game might make it where you can't progress. Since you're not an investigator.

I've presented all the evidence to Marshall, Gumshoe and scientific investigator, hint hint :), but nothing happens. Those are the only characters on my game at the present time. They keep repeating the same stuff over and over again. I thought maybe Gumshoe would let you in the police station or Marshall in the security part. I've checked everything in every room that I could see. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong. You can't examine (as in Zoom in on them) the paper note or the mascot.

Could someone give me a hint as what to do, without revealing exactly what to do? :) Thank you. I've got this far on my own, but this is pissing me off.

Actually, the game won't let you advance unless you've completed everything that needed to be done. Because there're so many things that need to be done, I can't really offer a hint, just some general tips:

Basically, the rule of thumb is to examine everything, present all the evidence to anyone you encounter (1st time they can't answer you'll get a long refusal, but then you can skip those parts quickly by tapping the screen), and visit all the locations over and over.

Whenever you move to a location that has something new to offer, you get the little screen that gives time/date/location (if you don't get it, it doesn't mean you found everything -- just that you haven't progressed to a new "level" so to speak).

Anyhow, if you're completely lost, read the walkthrough -- http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/phoenix_wright.txt

There's no shame in using it once or twice :)

P.S. Remember to save right before you have to present any evidence. This will save you A LOT of hassle. Usually, you know what to do, but a few things are not overly intuitive.

The only hint I can provide is to make sure you check both parts of that crime scene. The first time I was there, I didn't realize the garage was split into two halves.

-HM

did you check in the trunk? There's a note in there from Goodman. Also, the cell phone should let you see who Lana called last. Try those things.

Ok, thanks for the tips everyone.

The Time/Location thing. That's one of the things I always look for. Thanks anyway. The garage has 2 parts, yep. The other day I went back and made sure none of the other locations didn't have more to them.

What part of the cell phone do you click on to get "examine" to come up (not the strap either) for the Last Number called? Or do you have to have a certain amount of items in your inventory for that to happpen?

I have the whole first page filled up. When I examine the cell phone, it goes to page 2. (if that helps)

Evidence: Attorney's Badge, Goodman's I.D., P. Trophy, so and so's Knife, Parking Stub, BB Panel, Autopsy Report, Victim's Note. That's a total of 8 items before examing the cell phone. Is that all you need in order to get the last phone number called? Thanks again!

[quote name='Green-Bull']Ok, thanks for the tips everyone.

The Time/Location thing. That's one of the things I always look for. Thanks anyway. The garage has 2 parts, yep. The other day I went back and made sure none of the other locations didn't have more to them.

What part of the cell phone do you click on to get "examine" to come up (not the strap either) for the Last Number called? Or do you have to have a certain amount of items in your inventory for that to happpen?

I have the whole first page filled up. When I examine the cell phone, it goes to page 2. (if that helps)

Evidence: Attorney's Badge, Goodman's I.D., P. Trophy, so and so's Knife, Parking Stub, BB Panel, Autopsy Report, Victim's Note. That's a total of 8 items before examing the cell phone. Is that all you need in order to get the last phone number called? Thanks again![/quote]

Examine the phone, zoom in on the front part, look for a green/blue (forget which one) button, I think, it's on the left side. Mouse-over (hmm... is it stylus over? lol) until you see action button :)

I figured it out, finally! I was playing it when LOST would go off for a commercial break. Then I broke out my stylus (after nothing else would seem to work). I DON'T USE the stylus for this game. Why use the stylus when you don't have to (and scratch up your screen)? I'd got this far without using it, so I didn't think you'd have to use it for this part. Duh, me. And when the whole scientific evidence was brought into play, I thought why the heck can't you turn the evidence with the L and R buttons? So I didn't think you could turn the stuff.

At first I just poke at the cell phone, then it's screen. Then I see the Dials below/right on the examine menu. I always thought that looked weird to have to things that looked like you could turn the evidence, but not be able to. :) Thanks for all the help people.

No problem! I don't know how you got this far without a stylus, but you need it here to rotate evidence, sprinkle for prints, etc.

Well, finally finished the game tonight. That 5th case seems to be longer than the first four put together. Probably not in reality, but it's pretty darn long. Enjoyable story - they've got decent writers.

Question - I wonder why don't we get a cool mural for case 5 after completing it? You know, like all the other cool dual height pictures that precede the other cases if you choose to play them again after completing them?

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']Well, finally finished the game tonight. That 5th case seems to be longer than the first four put together. Probably not in reality, but it's pretty darn long. Enjoyable story - they've got decent writers.

Question - I wonder why don't we get a cool mural for case 5 after completing it? You know, like all the other cool dual height pictures that precede the other cases if you choose to play them again after completing them?

-HM[/quote]

I asked the exact same question on the other PW thread but didn't get any responses... I guess, we don't get the color painting... :drool:

I believe the 5th case is the only NEW case made for this American DS version (why the poster said you don't need a stylus till then maybe). The first 4 are from previous installments of this series for the GBA in Asia. This may have something to do with such a thing being overlooked.

Actually, the new case is in the Japanese version as well. It's new for the DS overall.

I'd like to think that they simply overlooked this when they trasferred from the GBA version, but I find a CONTRADICTION! The murals for the first 4 cases are dual height. Since the GBA doesn't have dual screens, it stands to reason that these murals were created specifically for the DS. They couldn't have been "overlooked" in the conversion to the DS, because they simply didn't exist for the GBA version.

-HM

Just a general question:

How many hours did this game take you? I've been on the second case for about an hour and it's going, so I'm hoping this length of gameplay will hold true for the rest of the game. Thanks!

It's hard to say exactly how long since I played off and on, but somewhere between 8-12 hours, if I had to guess. The cases just keep getting longer, with case 5 feeling like it's as long as the first 4 put together. I defihitely got my money's worth.

-HM

bread's done
Back