Picross DS (Import Only, UK/ English Version) for 32.87 shipped.

[quote name='DrAndonuts']Hey guys, ordered this myself last night.
http://www.sendit.com/game/item/6001000074785

Played Mario's Picross on the GB, and it was loads of fun. This is about the best price you will get it, and it's not coming to the US. Plus, it has downloadable puzzles every week over wifi.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, how do you know it's not coming to the U.S.?

The Japanese version has been lodged in my DS ever since release. Now that it's in English, there's no excuse for anyone not having a copy. Sort of disappointed that I didn't find out about the UK release earlier as I might have waited, but you don't need to read at all to enjoy picross.

Incidentally, I almost didn't finish a quarter at school because of Mario's Super Picross. I never thought I would be proud to say that.

Great find. I'm absolutely in for one. Does anyone know if I can use the Nintendo WFC here in the US in a foreign game?

[quote name='mkelehan']Great find. I'm absolutely in for one. Does anyone know if I can use the Nintendo WFC here in the US in a foreign game?[/QUOTE]

Yes; I've been using it with my Japanese Picross to download the puzzle packs.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Yes; I've been using it with my Japanese Picross to download the puzzle packs.[/QUOTE]
Fan-tastic. So I'll be playing this one no less than once a week.

This is great, thanks! I figure I'm getting it months before I could buy a domestic copy, and for just about $1 more than I'd pay for it if/when it's released here.

Picross is my favorite puzzle game! Nice find and its a shame its not coming over here. I would have thought it would have a big following.
With the bonus DL packs its worth every penny I think!

As far as I know, it's reliable. I looked up some reviews on the site, and all have said it's a fantastic site. That, and it's been around for years. I don't know, I figured it's worth it, since most other places that deliver to the US, plus shipping, would cost about 45 bucks.

This does seem like a great deal OP. It's worth a shot!

I also recommend the following under-the-radar games for picross fans:

Essential Sudoku DS, a UK release, has 1000 "number puzzles" and 1000 "picture puzzles" despite its narrow-focus title. Not quite as pretty as Picross DS, but perfectly servicable. Only $20 from amazon.co.uk [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-S...6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1178717433&sr=8-1], or shop around with importers.

PikuPiku: Toku to E Ninaru 3-tsu no Puzzle, a new japanese release. It costs $30 at Play Asia [http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-15-PikuPiku-70-1v6l.html]. This game has picross variants: maze a pix, link a pix, and fill a pix (fill a pix ROCKS!). It features puzzles designed by Conceptis, who are picture puzzle-making gods. Here's a link to the news release on their site: http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/news/index.htm#nintendo. I totally recommend checking out their wide selection of free puzzles, updated weekly. They have both sudoku and picross puzzles and many variants, which can be printed out or played online.

My order status is "Being Packed", which translates on their site to "Your order has been processed, and is currently being packed, or is awaiting the arrival of the postman to come to our offices and take it to you!"

I guess they ship early to try and get the game to people on the street date. Not that that's going to happen with an international order, but still, I'm impressed.

[quote name='geepgal']This does seem like a great deal OP. It's worth a shot!

I also recommend the following under-the-radar games for picross fans:

Essential Sudoku DS, a UK release, has 1000 "number puzzles" and 1000 "picture puzzles" despite its narrow-focus title. Not quite as pretty as Picross DS, but perfectly servicable. Only $20 from amazon.co.uk [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-S...6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1178717433&sr=8-1], or shop around with importers.

PikuPiku: Toku to E Ninaru 3-tsu no Puzzle, a new japanese release. It costs $30 at Play Asia [http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-15-PikuPiku-70-1v6l.html]. This game has picross variants: maze a pix, link a pix, and fill a pix (fill a pix ROCKS!). It features puzzles designed by Conceptis, who are picture puzzle-making gods. Here's a link to the news release on their site: http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/news/index.htm#nintendo. I totally recommend checking out their wide selection of free puzzles, updated weekly. They have both sudoku and picross puzzles and many variants, which can be printed out or played online.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the tips on these. Are there other DS picross clones? I seem to recall one or two more. How's the language barrier on PikuPiku?

[quote name='gkrykewy']Thanks very much for the tips on these. Are there other DS picross clones? I seem to recall one or two more. How's the language barrier on PikuPiku?[/QUOTE]

Well, my copy of PikuPiku is still in the mail. My hearty recommendation is based merely on the quality of Conceptis Puzzles' creations, and my personal desire to get the Picross gaming fans to be 1) aware of the pen and paper versions (which go by many many names) and thereby 2) interested in the other puzzle formats. Because I love those formats and want more electronic versions of them to come out! Also, you can see some screenshots of PikuPiku if you follow my link to the news piece, and they look very similar to Picross DS, so I'm hoping for high production values.

Regarding the language barrier, I definitely recommend learning how to play the variants via Conceptis' website first. They have good instructions, strategy tips, and samples. Once you know how to play and what each type of puzzle looks like "raw", I can't see how the language barrier would be a problem. Logic rules never change, you know?

Based on the cover art, Puzzle Series Vol. 6: Illust Logic [ http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g-49-en-70-1l0j.html ] is picross puzzles, but I know nothing else about it.

[quote name='mkelehan']Fan-tastic. So I'll be playing this one no less than once a week.[/QUOTE]

So wait, are there going to be downloadable puzzles with the European release?

[quote name='sixersballernum3']This looks interesting, but I've never played Picross before. Is there somewhere online I could try it?[/QUOTE]

DISCLAIMER: Forwarned is forearmed. I played TylerK's Picross as my introduction to Picross. However, the site is now flagged by google as "harmful". The reason is unknown. Click the following link at your own risk however following the google supplied link "stopbadware.org" returns no complaints filed on the site.

www.thetimmys.com/flash/picross/index.php

TylerK's Picross is the only good Picross I've found online.

The Conceptis site mentioned above has good "Picross" puzzles (aka Paint by Numbers in Games magazine and other places). Some of them have 5 or more colors, instead of just 1 or 2. My wife does them every week (they publish new ones each week I think).

I found this site a while back that has a huge amount of online (Java-based) Picross puzzles. If you register it'll keep track of which ones you've solved and save puzzles in progress.
Paint by Numbers Home Page
It also has a decent explanation for new players... the "Tips" section is especially useful.

[quote name='DrAndonuts']Well, I'm pretty impressed. My copy just got shipped out, so they are shipping it early. Just to let everyone know.[/QUOTE]
Mine as well. I'm really excited to get my Picross on again.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Hmm. I tried one a Conceptis. Seems more difficult that Sudoku... too much for me :lol:[/QUOTE]

The picross/paint by numbers/pick a pix at Conceptis are harder than anywhere else!! I started playing these puzzles more than a decade ago in Games Magazine, and I still can't finish any of their picross puzzles. You should give it another chance.

Here's a site I turned up...
http://www.blindchicken.com/~ali/pbn/index.html#puzzles
The interface isn't that nice, plus they mark the grid in 4x4 boxes, which I think makes it much harder than 5x5 boxes. Anyone else have a good online recommendation for him to try?

[quote name='geepgal']Anyone else have a good online recommendation for him to try?[/quote]

you could always go the route of GB emu with mario's picross...you know, just to try it out.

Picross is actually my favorite type of logic puzzle. It's way better than Sudoku, in my opinion. If you like logic puzzles in any way, you should definitely go right ahead and buy this. I bought Mario's Picross so many years ago, and loved every puzzle.

Okay, you're still not sold. I get it. The word of a random forumite isn't enough. Well, look, you've got ZSNES, right? Go find a ROM of Mario's Super Picross.

Just a tidbit: Gamestop/EB started preordering this game today. Slated for 7/31 at $20.

Not sure if it is the same game or not.

I'm guessing we'll know for sure by the time our sendit.com orders come in. If it IS coming here, and we can get it for hald what we paid, we can probably Ebay our EU versions for a small profit.

I had never played picross till a few days ago and now I am totally hooked. If you are a fan of logic puzzles (or puzzles games at all), this game is insanely addictive.

He was right at the time. Nintendo hadn't announced any plans as of the release of the game in Europe.

Meh, I bought the UK version and i'm not complaining. I wasn't expecting the big clear plastic that the game comes in, but it's deffinitly different.

bread's done
Back