Picross DS review

cheap_ass_Ali

CAG Veteran
Picross DS

First of i'm going to mention that i'm gonna to do this review differentely than my last one. Secondly i will point out that this is a touch generations title so it might appeal more to casual gamers. To give you an idea of what this game is about i'll give you this summary. It's a basic puzzle game similar to sudoku (but better) where you use numbers to figure out the puzzle. The catch is that it forms a picture at the end. Now don't think you have to guess the picture or anything, it's purely mental. The puzzles start on a 5x5 grid but expand as you go on, going to a maximum of 20x20. Let me show you a model of a 5x5 one.
2 2 2 5 3
As you can see there are small numbers all around the grid. These show how many blocks should be filled in, in that row or culoumn. For example the 3rd row is 1 and 2. this means that there should be 1 box filled in and then 1 space or more then 2 blocks filled in. this differs from the 3 in the 5th row because ther is no space between the 3 blocks (still don't understand, PM me: ). Now for the review.

Good

This is definetely one of the best puzzle games on the DS and at $20 it's a very good deal. Comparing this to crosworDS i would have to say that's better but this is still great. The Music is relaxing but repetitive and definetely not memerable. there isn't much in the way of graphics but it doesn't look out dated or anything. it just has a nice shiny look. Theres a lot of puzzles and it is great for those times when your bored in the subway or plane. plus just to squeeze a few more puzzles in you can download puzzles using wi-fi. also you can make your own puzzles and share them with your friends. on more thing you can do is challenge friends to a puzzle face of to see who can finish fastest but thats not my favorite. it also has wireless multiplayer which isn't that bad considering you don't need two game cards. Also in the begining of the game it tells you when you make a mistake but later it takes away that feature to make things harder. Another thing is that in the begining you have the option to use a hint which gives you a push in the right direction if you think you'll be stuck. Finally there's something called daily picross. it's like these small picross minigame things and at the end it tells you your grade (like age in other games).

Bad

Controls can be annoying if your going for a great time because you might accidentely touch another block which means you get a time penalty. also there isn't much variety so if you don't like what you've seen so far you might not like the game. also if you beat a puzzle under the time limit you get a mini-animation. It sucks. Oh and if you like beating a game in the least amount of play-throughs this is probably not the game for you seeing as you only really do one thing the whole time.

Stupid

One thing i found stupid was how for every five puzzles you did you get a minigame level. did they have to do that. I wish you got like a medal or some sort of accomplishment for i don't know doing this under this time limit so it would have some replay value. Could have had more puzzles and pictures.

Summary: Picross DS is a great game but not a must buy. If you like puzzle games give it a shot. If not than well why are you reading this.
Score: 8.2

Cash value (price from cag-o-matic is $22): definetely worth the price

This game is horrible at a certain point. It basically is reduced to guessing just to solve certain parts of the puzzle. It'd be nice if you addressed that, because I believe it's one of the points that make this not as good of a buy.

I don't know... i feel like i like that part as well. Plus you can download puzzles online and make and trade your own. It's not perfect not that many puzzles but i still like all through.

bread's done
Back