Pier Solar HD - Xbox 360, PC, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast Donation/Preorder NOW STARTING

arsenalcrazy8

CAGiversary!
Hey guys. I dont know how many of you remember Pier Solar; it was a Genesis (yes, Sega Genesis) RPG that came out in 2010 (yes, 2010) made by Watermelon Co.

It was a made by a group of developers as a hobby; they wanted to make an original and new Genesis RPG for nostalgic sake.

Anyway they are asking for $139,000 so that they can bring it to 360, Dreamcast, Mac, PC, and Linux, all while rebooting it with HD graphics. each donation doesnt go empty handed as they have a bunch of stuff to offer for certain amounts pledged. (I.e. $125 donation will get you the limited edition Dreamcast edition, or $15 will get you the digital xbox edition..etc)

For those that do not know, the original Pier Solar Genesis Game sold out very fast, and the original version sells for upwards of $500 on ebay on the reg.

I know some may say this is technically not a 'deal' but besides helping the gaming community, you can get a game that can easily be worth alot for quite cheap this way.

Ill provide this link...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573261866/pier-solar-hd-an-rpg-for-xbox360-pc-mac-linux-and

Edit: as of this posting they already have $92,000 pledged...and this was all only in a week...

Edit Edit: For those that have never used kickstarter before, you dont actually get charged anything unless they reach their goal. (i.e if they dont reach 139,000, you dont actually pay anything.)

Last edited by a moderator:
They had 5 backers at $999 apiece for a custom Dreamcast? Wow...

These are too rich for me. Game is probably good, but I'll end up getting it when it goes on sale in 2014 once it's released...

Wow, that art style is...interesting. Not good interesting. The mix of "pixel art" and HD art makes it look bizarre.

Regardless, I'll probably get the game, but as always I'll wait until I get a product for my money when I give my money instead of donating and hoping they pull through as they say they will.

Most copies don't sell anywhere near $500...

I think I'll pass on the port. I bought a few pre-orders before the game came out in 2010 and then forgot about it. The game looked great for a Genesis game, but I sold most of my Genesis stuff soon afterwards due to a lack of interest.

I see that they are begging for money. Pier Solar for the Genesis was a joke. All that pre-order money sitting in a bank account for years gaining interest. I wonder why it took so long for the game to be released...

It's a shame they aren't planning a physical release for 360/PS3, but the license costs are likely too high. Eh well, in for a physical Dreamcast copy... except wait, how can that be HD?

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']
the original version sells for upwards of $500 on ebay on the reg.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blcklblskt']
Most copies don't sell anywhere near $500...
[/QUOTE]

Is there some reason a few copies have hit that price? I still have mine, and it may even be unopened. I think it's a first print, will have to research.

[quote name='Nintendonly']What's with the craptacular accents? Are these guys illegal immigrants?[/QUOTE]

They TOOK OUR JOBS! :lol:

[quote name='Nintendonly']What's with the craptacular accents? Are these guys illegal immigrants?[/QUOTE]
Gwénaël is a resident of France, so that's kind of a stupid thing to say. (Even if it is a "joke" :roll:)

[quote name='Schildkrote']Wow, that art style is...interesting. Not good interesting. The mix of "pixel art" and HD art makes it look bizarre.

Regardless, I'll probably get the game, but as always I'll wait until I get a product for my money when I give my money instead of donating and hoping they pull through as they say they will.[/QUOTE]

Looks terrible imho. I wonder if they would have chosen that 'style' if it were easier to rerender the sprites.

I wonder if they'll be selling the guide outside of that $129 collector's package? I'd love to buy a stand-alone copy of the guide for $20 or something (like I did for the Mother 3 guide)

CAG really needs to get in on this Kickstarter racket. Ask nerds for money and they will provide in force without any guarantee of getting anything for it whatsoever. There's an untapped goldmine here, really.

[quote name='orcishlad']Gwénaël is a resident of France, so that's kind of a stupid thing to say. (Even if it is a "joke" :roll:)[/QUOTE]

A resident of France, living in the U.S.A.? Yeah, illegal immigrant confirmed.

[quote name='morrodox']... Eh well, in for a physical Dreamcast copy... except wait, how can that be HD?

[/QUOTE]

They indicate on the kickstarter page that the DC version will have the new HD graphics scaled down to 640x480 progressive scan VGA for the DreamCast. Whis is still very nice and a massive leap over the Genesis. :)

I'm just waiting for the HD release on XBLA. If its $15 or less, I'll probably buy it but im hoping that it will be $10.

[quote name='portnoyd']There is no way conversion and XBL/PSN costs are that much.[/QUOTE]
And you'd be right. Good thing that that's not the only thing funding is going towards.
So what exactly will the funding be used for? All funding strictly goes toward:
Remaking thousands and thousands of Pier Solar assets in HD
Licensing fees, extra development costs
Production (plastic molds, printing)
Beta testing for Xbox 360, PC, Mac, Linux and SEGA Dreamcast

Personally, I'm interested. I'm not a Kickstarter guy, though, so I'll wait until it's released.

bread's done
Back