Pimp My PC. Calling All CAGs

Jackal888

CAGiversary!
Okay I have a almost 2 year old computer it is not old by my standards and is still fast enough for me I need help buying a graphics card, maybe some more memory so I can play some games on this rig. Here is my Computer's specs:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+ with dual-core processing, 1GB of DDR SDRAM as well as a 250GB 7200RPM hard drive.
2 x 512MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz processing speed and a 2000MHz system bus.Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005.
1129638.jpg

I only play certain computer games. I have Half-Life 2, I have Far Cry but could never play it on this PC. I want to play Command & Conquer, and StraCraft 2. I also do graphic design and want more processing power for that also. I await your suggestions.

I'd definitely recommend getting another 1GB of memory (hopefully you can get 2x 512MB for dual channel).

As for a graphics card, I'd say the 320MB 8800GTS is probably the best value but your processor would probably bottleneck it. But you don't plan to upgrade the graphics card for another year or two, you might as well get it. The bottleneck shouldn't be too bad.

If DX10 isnt' important to you, I'd get the Sapphire X1950XT from Newegg for $170 (after a $20 MiR).

[quote name='Vinny']I'd definitely recommend getting another 1GB of memory (hopefully you can get 2x 512MB for dual channel).

As for a graphics card, I'd say the 320MB 8800GTS is probably the best value but your processor would probably bottleneck it. But you don't plan to upgrade the graphics card for another year or two, you might as well get it. The bottleneck shouldn't be too bad.

If DX10 isnt' important to you, I'd get the Sapphire X1950XT from Newegg for $170 (after a $20 MiR).[/QUOTE]

Those are good suggestion, definitely go for another 1GB of memory. But seeing that you're equiped with DDR memory rather than DDR2, double check your motherboard either by opening the case or looking at the detailed specs on your computer model to see whether you have an AGP or PCI-E slot. If you have the former, you can go for an ~$100 7800GS or ~$180 1950Pro. If you got PCI-E, go w/ Vinny's suggestion.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Those are good suggestion, definitely go for another 1GB of memory. But seeing that you're equiped with DDR memory rather than DDR2, double check your motherboard either by opening the case or looking at the detailed specs on your computer model to see whether you have an AGP or PCI-E slot. If you have the former, you can go for an ~$100 7800GS or ~$180 1950Pro. If you got PCI-E, go w/ Vinny's suggestion.[/quote]

I do have PCI-Express, do you think that my processor will hold me back a lot. I know its not top of the line but it is pretty fast.I was also thinking about more memory, it would help.Is any brand of memeory suggested more than another? Crucial,PNY,Kingston etc...

Memory from most major brands are fairly similar in quality but it's their warranty that you should look at. Yes, they make bad memory (you can easily find those by reading reviews) but on average, they're good.

Corsair, Crucial, OCZ and Patriot are the brands I usually see a lot of positive feedback about though I've only used Corsair and Crucial. I'd be weary of G.Skill memory, they seem like they're kinda iffy.

I'd say these sticks look pretty solid.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220037

Another thing to consider is your power supply. I'm not wholly sure but I'd think you'd want a good 450 watt PS for this card and at least 26A on your +12V rail.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102067

Your processor should be fine with that graphics card. It might be a minor bottleneck but nothing major.

Have you opened your case yet? I'm not sure if the picture you posted reflects the computer you got, but see how many memory slots you have, because if you have only 2 slots (common on mATX motherboards) then you'll have to replace your current memory and buy 2x1GB instead (that will cost you at least $100). Getting a new power supply is a good idea if your current PS is less than 400W and that you are buying a powerful video card. Be ready to invest about $200 - $300 for this upgrade if you want to run recent games well. Your CPU is fine also.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Have you opened your case yet? I'm not sure if the picture you posted reflects the computer you got, but see how many memory slots you have, because if you have only 2 slots (common on mATX motherboards) then you'll have to replace your current memory and buy 2x1GB instead (that will cost you at least $100). Getting a new power supply is a good idea if your current PS is less than 400W and that you are buying a powerful video card. Be ready to invest about $200 - $300 for this upgrade if you want to run recent games well. Your CPU is fine also.[/quote]

I have 4 slots here are the specs straight from HP/Compaq
1 GB (2 x 512) 4 GB*
MAX: (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 512 MB DIMMs
PC3200 MB/sec
DIMM slots Four
Open DIMM slots Two

I am thinking about either a 7900GS card or the Sapphire X1950XT. I am not sure it is time to get on DX10 yet. Plus I can but don't want to spend $400 on a card.

Your computer doesn't seem all that dissimilar from my own, so here's my suggestions:

+1 GB of RAM (2x 512MB): I currently have 3 sticks of Ultra 512MB Memory, each with a lifetime warranty, got them for $20 each (shipping included) in an online deal. Search for something similar. It may not be Kingston or Corsair, but with a Lifetime warranty, I'm pretty satisfied.

7600GS Nvidia Video Card: I don't know what Starcraft 2 is going to require in terms of graphical power, but I currently run Battlefield 2142 at maximum settings at 1260x968 with 2GB of RAM and this video card, which cost me $50 at Buy.com (they ran it on a weeklong sale for 4 weeks, odds are it's still that cheap).

Honestly, those two upgrades cost me $110 max and I'm running a lot of games at maximum settings on a 400W Power Supply and a 2.0 Ghz AMD Processor. Of course, I'm not playing Doom 3 or anything, but you see my point. I went for budget stuff, reliable warranties, and got a very satisfying experience for both gaming and my wallet (upgrading your rig in college isn't easy).

~HotShotX

As everyone else, I would recommend the dual channel 1 GB RAM. G-Skill runs pretty cheap right now. Make sure you have the corresponding MHz of the FSB, though. And if you can get one, an nVidia 78000 **. This series is nice, and if you want you can overclock it pretty easily. Good luck.

Oh, check www.fatwallet.com frequently for deals on computer hardware and such.

bread's done
Back