Pimp Your Centro: discuss Palm OS apps here!

BustaUppa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
**08/29/08 EDIT - added links for FileZ, Opera Mini, Java Virtual Machine, and MiniTones!**

I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread, since the SERO discussion is dying down (due to the deal being dead, and this stuff was technically off topic in there anyway).

So now that a number of us CAGs are proud new Palm OS users, let's collaborate and share our knowledge of some sweet (and preferably free) applications to really pimp out our devices of choice! There are a LOT of redundant apps out there, so I want to get a community perspective here to see what really stands out as the cream of the crop.

I plan to add any especially useful apps to the OP, so this can be your one-stop shop for Palm OS goodness!

[size=+2]Gaming Apps[/size]
Little John * - Emulator for a number of classic consoles, including NES, SNES, GameBoy, and Atari 2600!

ScummVM * - Emulator for a bunch of old PC point n' click adventure games. Relive classic titles like Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Space Quest, and more!

REminiscence * - Emulator for the PC game "Flashback"

* Please respect CAG community guidelines when discussing emulator software. In other words, do not post about where/how to obtain ROMs in this thread!

[size=+2]Utilities[/size]
FileZ - FileZ is the premiere device utility application for Palm OS. It gives you full access to your device's files, system information, and preferences. The intuitive file browser allows you view, edit, copy, move, delete and send any file on your device or an external memory card. FileZ also includes extensive system information, such as memory usage and battery status. A preference editor allows you to view and delete preferences for any application on your device. All of this comes in an easy to use and customizable interface.

Java Virtual Machine 5.7.2 - Required for installation of Opera Mini and other select programs.

Opera Mini - A mobile version of Opera, the 'net darling of web browsers. You can use the above link to download an installer to your PC, or simply point your phone's browser to operamini.com. Remember, you will need to install Java Virtual Machine before using Opera Mini.

[size=+2]Ringtone Apps[/size]
MiniTones - This small freeware app allows you to select a MP3 file and add it to your ringtone list in Sounds. It also features a file splitter so you can use a section of a song instead of the whole song. Click here for a brief tutorial on using this app.

[size=+2]Media Player Apps[/size]
coming soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reality's Fringe;4686587 said:
I have a centro. How the hell you install these things?
You need to use the USB transfer cable and open the Palm Desktop software, along with the HotSync manager. Most apps have a .prc or .psi file... what you do is HotSync those files to the Centro, and that should put everything where it needs to be.

You can probably Google a better description of the process (heck, I should probably add a guide to the OP), but that right there is the gist of it.

I'll give it a shot later. Like I said, I got this centro for REALLY cheap, and I don't use any of the features on it outside of memos and the web browser.

Excellent. As far as music goes, the player (can't remember the name of it) that it comes with is pretty darn good. I would like a video player, but the best one seems to be the one for 30 bucks, and I don't think I would use it that much.

Kinoma Player is the best movie player I found. You have to use Kinoma Producer to put them in the right format. Kinoma Producer is Trialware, but the full version can be found easily.

PalmOS? On cheapassgamer?

Anyway I released an open source app a few days ago (it used to be 5$).

It's called Random Facts, it does what the title says, supports additional databases. There's around 400 facts and a few more databases for dice, quotes and stuff like that.

Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/134154705/Random_Fact_1.2__including_source_and_extras_.zip

PS: There's an application, I think it's called small install or something, that allows you to install apps without Hotsync. I forgot the name tho.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Kinoma Player is the best movie player I found. You have to use Kinoma Producer to put them in the right format. Kinoma Producer is Trialware, but the full version can be found easily.[/quote]

You obviously never used CorePlayer (or TCPMP, the free version). It's better than windows media player on my computer, compatibility-wise.

check out mytreo.net for a ton of palm apps. Also download Opera Mini to load websites that dont work in Blazer. First you need to download and install the Java Virtual Machine on your phone (which you can get from mytreo.net) the type in mini.opera.com in blazer and download that and you should be all set.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']You obviously never used CorePlayer (or TCPMP, the free version). It's better than windows media player on my computer, compatibility-wise.[/quote]

I've used it, but found that you get the best quality and performance when you use Kinoma Player and Producer together.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I've used it, but found that you get the best quality and performance when you use Kinoma Player and Producer together.[/quote]

I don't know... it's too complicated to convert everything everytime... anyway... I'm on windows mobile now.

[quote name='snakelda']minitones is awesome![/quote]

Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot this one. Definitely the best ringtone program out there. Convert any song files into Ringtone files on the fly. Even comes with built it editor, so you can trim songs down. I used to convert dozens of ringtones for my friends, then send them via Bluetooth.

I hope you guys have FileZ. Everytime I use my Palm I painfully remember there's no way to browse your files like on every damn OS.

OS5 is getting really old.

Thanks to everyone for the input so far! I freshened up the OP with a bunch of new links based on your suggestions. I'll be adding more to it soon!

bread's done
Back