Pirates of the Caribbean 4 Movie-Set + Pirates' Chest Replica + Map w/3D BR - $114.99

Celsius

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Carib...8JSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312192033&sr=8-1

81MFoiKbAPL._AA1500_.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like all the movies come stacked in that round case? If that's the case then that's horrible packaging.

This may not be the best design for easy access to the movies, but it's a HELL of a lot better than the Toy Story toy chest set is... that thing just had a bunch of foam with slits in it for each disc.

At least this Dead Man's Chest replica set looks pretty awesome and I would hope that the oversized cursed gold piece case thingy at least has something other than a mini spindle holder inside of it, but I could be wrong.

No point in getting it if there's going to be more pirate movies! I don't know if they are making more after the most recent one, but if they do, there will be a "better and newer" collection.....will pass. I only have the first one on blu.

[quote name='MAGfuz']No point in getting it if there's going to be more pirate movies! I don't know if they are making more after the most recent one, but if they do, there will be a "better and newer" collection.....will pass. I only have the first one on blu.[/QUOTE]

Pirates 4 made just north of a billion dollars (Worldwide: $1,032,828,392)
so you can guarantee that a fifth one is on it's way. They're scripting it right now and Johnny Depp is all but signed. Right now it's rumored that Depp is trying to get Russell Brand to play his brother in the next installment - but that same rumor was going around about the 4th one (Though it was confirmed by Brand himself that they *were* courting him for one of the Pirates movies). At the end of the day, do you want to wait around for another 2-4 years for part 5 to be released on Blu Ray for the "complete" collection? Or do you just bite now?

It's like people waiting on the Alien Anthology on Blu Ray being Ridley Scott is making "Promethues" which is being viewed as a prequel (of sorts) to the original Alien. The one thing unknown about this is whether this is a one shot movie or if he *is* doing 2 separate movies to serve as a prequel.

Anywho, sorry, bit of a tangent. I guess the short version is that you'll never know when these "collections" will be complete - if ever.

[quote name='movie_mike']Pirates 4 made just north of a billion dollars (Worldwide: $1,032,828,392)
so you can guarantee that a fifth one is on it's way. They're scripting it right now and Johnny Depp is all but signed. Right now it's rumored that Depp is trying to get Russell Brand to play his brother in the next installment - but that same rumor was going around about the 4th one (Though it was confirmed by Brand himself that they *were* courting him for one of the Pirates movies). At the end of the day, do you want to wait around for another 2-4 years for part 5 to be released on Blu Ray for the "complete" collection? Or do you just bite now?

It's like people waiting on the Alien Anthology on Blu Ray being Ridley Scott is making "Promethues" which is being viewed as a prequel (of sorts) to the original Alien. The one thing unknown about this is whether this is a one shot movie or if he *is* doing 2 separate movies to serve as a prequel.

Anywho, sorry, bit of a tangent. I guess the short version is that you'll never know when these "collections" will be complete - if ever.[/QUOTE]

Russel Brand? wow. I never heard that.

I heard Depp didn't want to sign right away because he wanted suspense to build between films and not just keep pumping movies out. I also read that 5 AND 6 are being planned.... then that may be the end of them....? or not? haha.

Yeah, I'll be skipping on this myself because it won't be so complete when part 5 comes out. I can wait.

I know they *want* to do a 5 AND 6 but with such a luke-warm response to the last one here in the states, they'll only be greenlighting one movie at a time. The plan *was* to do 5 & 6 back to back but that might change. It's Hollywood so you never know.

[quote name='seether254']yeah im fine with my 3 blu steelbooks, and hoping for a 4th.[/QUOTE]

Agreed but I do like the packaging (not the disc stacking of course).

Looks awesome sans for everything being stacked on one another, unless those are all blus, no need to worry about scratches. Just a little more though COULD have gone into the design.

[quote name='movie_mike']I know they *want* to do a 5 AND 6 but with such a luke-warm response to the last one here in the states, they'll only be greenlighting one movie at a time. The plan *was* to do 5 & 6 back to back but that might change. It's Hollywood so you never know.[/QUOTE]

$1 billion is not a lukewarm response.

[quote name='GCS']Agreed but I do like the packaging (not the disc stacking of course).[/QUOTE]

dito on the disc stacking, looks like the only thing between the discs is either foam or maybe the "chest" has special slots for each disc.

[quote name='seether254']dito on the disc stacking, looks like the only thing between the discs is either foam or maybe the "chest" has special slots for each disc.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that there would be room for a random large replica of one of the gold pieces and separate slots for all of the discs... it quite clearly looks as though the discs are stacked in the Aztec gold piece somehow and the medallion is kept in a very large lined slot at the bottom of the Dead Man's Chest.

It's still not a very good design, but it's definitely better than the Toy Story Toy Box which is essentially what you described.

As for whether or not I'm going to purchase this set: it's a big NO especially seeing as I picked up the original 3-movie box set on Blu quite a while back and I've already pre-ordered the 3D Combo pack of the newest film... I really don't think there's a chance that I'll go ahead and buy a deluxe version of another movie franchise that isn't finished (I got the Harry Potter 5-movie 'trunk' set used... and the extra trinkets mostly get a "meh" from me), especially if the packaging for the discs is so poor.

Are all four 3D BRs or just the newest one? If it's just the newest, this set is horribly overpriced. You can regularly find the first 3 BRs for $10 a piece.

[quote name='kidkash03']Are all four 3D BRs or just the newest one? If it's just the newest, this set is horribly overpriced. You can regularly find the first 3 BRs for $10 a piece.[/QUOTE]

Only the fourth film was shot in 3D and conversions of the first three films haven't been announced. I agree that this set is overpriced, but if they HAD done 3D conversions and included them here, I'd definitely pick this up!

bread's done
Back