PITTSBURGH AREA - Giant Eagle Video Stores Closing Dates *updated*

GLOCKGLOCK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
For those of you in the Ohio/Western Pennsylvania area, most of the local Giant Eagle Supermarkets 'Iggle' video centers are closing down through the 1st quarter of 2008. The Irwin and Seven Fields stores closed down today and they ran some pretty nice deals with $15 for all next gen games, $5 for all last gen and $4 for all DVDs (new releases were $10).

Why dont we post when/where each location is closing so everyone can take advantage of these savings? Here are the stores I know about. Please add info on your local stores and I will update the original Post.

Store Closing Date
Gibsonia - Still Open, might be independently Owned & Operated and not closing
Irwin - Closed 9/16/2007
Seven Fields - Closed 9/16/2007
Cranberry Twp - Closed 5/31/08
New Kensington - Closed 2/11/2008
Lewis Center, OH - Still open, might not close
Monroeville - Closed
Johnstown - Still Open
Butler - Closed
Waterfront - Closed
Waterworks/Fox Chapel - Closed in December
Glenshaw - Closed 5/5/08
McKnight Road - Closed February 2008
WestView - Still Open
McKnight Road (Near Ross Park Mall) - Closed
Camp Horne Road (off 279) - Closed

Here is a link to the other stores:

http://www.igglevideo.com/content/store/info.html?client=iggle

Please pass along any updated information you have!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will check the ones around my house. There are two that I can think of. One is in Castle Shannon the other is in Brentwood.

[quote name='c_maz34']I will check the ones around my house. There are two that I can think of. One is in Castle Shannon the other is in Brentwood.[/quote]

Hey great, let me know what you find out. Too bad more people dont look at the regional deals threads. There was so much stuff available at the one sale I was at for cheap. This is a great opportunity for CAGs to get some games they have always wanted for cheap!

[quote name='TheClassicObserver']Lewis Center Oh had no idea what i was talking about
I will check the other stores around me and update[/quote]

Hmmm, that is odd, but not surprising because a few of the local stores I checked told me that some of the video stores are independently owned and operated and wont be closing.

At the one closing I was at it was crazy. People were there with shopping carts just taking every DVD and game they could grab. Some guy came in with like 8 big shopping bags and just cleaned out the gamecube section. Took everything, insanity.

Thanks for the heads-up, though I was a bit late.

I'm from Monroeville, but am at school in Johnstown... went home a while ago, Iggle Video seemed nice and in-business... went home last weekend, and not only was Iggle Video gone, the part of the store it was in had already been renovated and restocked with pharmacy supplies. Oh, well, guess that's what I get for not being there anymore. It was kind of depressing, really, it just being... gone, you know?

The Iggle Video in Johnstown, however, still seems to be going strong. No signs of shutting down, but I'll have to keep checking back.

[quote name='carthitup']Thanks for the heads-up, though I was a bit late.

I'm from Monroeville, but am at school in Johnstown... went home a while ago, Iggle Video seemed nice and in-business... went home last weekend, and not only was Iggle Video gone, the part of the store it was in had already been renovated and restocked with pharmacy supplies. Oh, well, guess that's what I get for not being there anymore. It was kind of depressing, really, it just being... gone, you know?

The Iggle Video in Johnstown, however, still seems to be going strong. No signs of shutting down, but I'll have to keep checking back.[/quote]

Yea, once the word gets out that one of the locations is closing it doesn't take long for the hoarders to show up with bags and basically dismantle the place. I The local one here is completely renovated already too, but they didn't have the vending machine DVD rentals in yet though.

Has anyone else heard of any other stores closing soon?

[quote name='carthitup']Thanks for the heads-up, though I was a bit late.

The Iggle Video in Johnstown, however, still seems to be going strong. No signs of shutting down, but I'll have to keep checking back.[/QUOTE]

Wow nice, you're at UPJ I guess.. I"m originally from Johnstown, now living in Pittsburgh.

I'll check Iggle Video when I'm home over Turkey Day.

Thanks for the heads up.

Yup... UPJ.

Though I assume you found this out yourself, the Iggle Video here doesn't show any signs of closing. If nothing else, they've still stocked new games that have come out, so I imagine that's a sign they'll remain open, as I can't imagine that if you're gearing up to close you'd get new VG stock.

I hope that Giant Eagle would go bankrupt. I despise them ever since I lived inside the city and saw how they treated the less affluent population, closing down the only stores accessible to them and leaving them with gas station convenience stores while they open more wholefoods lookalikes.

So these are rental games that are being sold? Still a decent price... Too bad my local store (Cranberry) doesn't close down.

Butler location closed down and moved their unsold games to the Gibsonia store. Anyone been in any stores lately and get any information?

[quote name='uricmu']I hope that Giant Eagle would go bankrupt. I despise them ever since I lived inside the city and saw how they treated the less affluent population, closing down the only stores accessible to them and leaving them with gas station convenience stores while they open more wholefoods lookalikes.[/quote]

Sadly that seems to be the thing everywhere whenever a supermarket is massively strapped for cash. Out here in Indiana the Marsh chain ended up closing a handful of stores in the more impoverished areas right outside of Indianapolis because of really poor numbers. On one hand, it was to help prevent the company from taking further major losses but on the other it meant that most people now had to travel upwards of 10 miles (or more via public transport) in order to get groceries.

Then again, in my collegiate days in Pittsburgh most people hated Giant Eagle because of their ridiculously poor prices. I still frequented the one in Squirrel Hill mostly because there was nothing else that was close by and accessible via foot.

Just a thought, but wasn't there an Iggle Video in the GE over by the Waterfront or am I misremembering things? That could be a possibility but if some are remaining open it could be possible that that one may be held over as well due to high volumes of traffic.

Hey guys, I went to pitt, lived in oakland for four years, and went to pitt law for another three, now I live in Edgewood.

I don't think the one in edgewood ever even had an iggle video but htere is a dirty bird in the waerfront. They probably are all closed up already.

Just wanted to say whats up. It's actually my first time in the regional deals thread and glock you're right, it is too bad more people dont come in.

So are any that you know of closing soon, still open or are they all closed?

[quote name='pittpizza']Hey guys, I went to pitt, lived in oakland for four years, and went to pitt law for another three, now I live in Edgewood.

I don't think the one in edgewood ever even had an iggle video but htere is a dirty bird in the waerfront. They probably are all closed up already.

Just wanted to say whats up. It's actually my first time in the regional deals thread and glock you're right, it is too bad more people dont come in.

So are any that you know of closing soon, still open or are they all closed?[/quote]

Hey thanks for the reply, Pitt alum here too! These regional forums could be great if more people in the area used them. Pittsburgh isn't a large town and I'm willing to bet we could keep everyone pretty well informed on what is going on around town if people stopped by here once a week!

As for the giant iggle video, its pretty hit or miss with what has closed and what will close. Some of the stores are independently owned & operated like the one in Cranberry Twp, so the likelihood for that closing is very slim. Any of the ones that are owned and operated by Giant Eagle are set to close at some point this year. The Seven Fields store already has the vending machine DVD rental system installed. It sits right out front with the other vending machines (yes its outside the store). I barely noticed it until I walked by it last week.

I will updated the OP with the updates people have posted. I suggest that anyone who frequents any of the GE's here in Pgh stop by the video department and ask what the deal is with that specific location.

Not sure if it\'s still open and liquidating or if it\'s all over (I was last there in December, I think, and they were about to start liquidating in days), but the Waterworks location is on its way out.

[quote name='chrisflyer']Not sure if it\'s still open and liquidating or if it\'s all over (I was last there in December, I think, and they were about to start liquidating in days), but the Waterworks location is on its way out.[/quote]

Well if they started liquidating in December then odds are it is closed down. It doesn't take long for everything to get scooped up. I'll note it in the OP.

Thanks for the info!

It's been a while since the last post, but figured I'd throw something out there.

Though I haven't heard anything about closing, last time I was in the Johnstown Iggle Video, the 360/PS3/Wii was WAY scaled back. I don't know if that means they aren't getting anything new or what, but I'd say that they maybe had 20 games for each system, if that, and nothing I recognized as having come out since Christmas. I could've sworn there used to be more, too.

Might not be indicative of anything, I just thought it was a bit odd.

[quote name='007']It's been a while since the last post, but figured I'd throw something out there.

Though I haven't heard anything about closing, last time I was in the Johnstown Iggle Video, the 360/PS3/Wii was WAY scaled back. I don't know if that means they aren't getting anything new or what, but I'd say that they maybe had 20 games for each system, if that, and nothing I recognized as having come out since Christmas. I could've sworn there used to be more, too.

Might not be indicative of anything, I just thought it was a bit odd.[/quote]

Thanks for the update, I have been meaning to post a couple notes here but it kept slipping my mind.

I can confirm that the Iggle video store on McKnight road has closed.

Also I noticed, as you stated above, that many of the stores seem to have scaled back the number of games they had. The store in Gibsonia has implemented new pricing on games. $1.25 per night, which isn't really a drop but its alot better than being locked into 4.99-5.99 for a 5 day rental. I like the option of picking up a game for a night or two. But like you said it didn't look like there were many new games at all.

I will check the Cranberry store and see if anything is going on there and report back.

The Iggle Video at the Route 8 (Gelnshaw) store closed this weekend and the sale started today! I was there to do some grocery shopping and had no idea, but was able to pick up a few PS2 games and some movies fro my son for $5 each.
I'm so pissed I missed out on the better PS3 games; all that was left were some older titles, mostly sports games. All current gen games were $15 and all last gen games were $5.

[quote name='rooster32']The Iggle Video at the Route 8 (Gelnshaw) store closed this weekend and the sale started today! I was there to do some grocery shopping and had no idea, but was able to pick up a few PS2 games and some movies fro my son for $5 each.
I'm so pissed I missed out on the better PS3 games; all that was left were some older titles, mostly sports games. All current gen games were $15 and all last gen games were $5.[/quote]

Wow, I thought that one had closed up late last year. I hadn't stopped there in a while though. Like you said, once they announce the closing and the sale starts the hoarders show up and all the newer/valuable games are gone the first day. Unless you stop at random Giant Eagle stores or get tipped off that a closing is going down you are probably left out of all the best deals, except for the store you frequent most often.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I will update the list. Anyone else seen/heard anything about their locals stores lately?

Well the Cranberry Township Giant Iggle Video store has announced they are closing for good on May 31st. They have started liquidating their games and movies. Last Gen games went on sale for $5 each on May 18th and current gen started selling on May 25th for $15 each. They are also selling off all movies for $5 each. Note that new releases are not being sold yet.

I had talked to the manager when the first stores started closing a few months back and she said that the Cranberry store was not set to close because it was independently owned and operated. Well it looks like plans have changed. If you have a local store you might want to stop in and ask the employees if anything is going on, even if they had told you in the past that they were not closing. I think all the stores will be transitioning to the Vending Machine rental model sooner or later so its better some CAGs get in on some deals before the ebay hoarders decimate the stores.

bread's done
Back