Pizza delivery charge...do you still tip?

I do, I just drop the tip down. I usually go $2.00+ whatever leftover change comes from the order. If they charge a buck, I just deduct. Simple, I guess

actually, we just ordered papa johns because its football night and beers means no driving. they have a delivery fee, i was arguing that we shouldnt tip, but i was out voted by the others. i think a delivery fee is bs.

nope. i never tip - they get paid at least minimum wage.

I only tip the waiters and waitresses and whenever I get my haircut

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']actually, we just ordered papa johns because its football night and beers means no driving. they have a delivery fee, i was arguing that we shouldnt tip, but i was out voted by the others. i think a delivery fee is bs.[/QUOTE]

Haha, that is why I ask...I just ordered Papa Johns.

generally my order w/ delivery charge is 18 ish and some change i just give em a 20 so i guess yes i do tip, but i always just give em a 20 so depending on my order they may get more or less.

[quote name='JJSP']If you don't want to tip, pick up your own pizza. Add an extra buck if it's raining outside.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Moreover, if you think that the driver gets that charge, you're sorely mistaken. I don't have respect for pizza drivers, but they are paying their own car payment, filling up with ever-more-expensive gasoline, and paying their own car insurance, all of which are impacted by their job.

Wow. Delivery charges don't generally go to the driver, unless it's to cover gas and stuff. I spoke at length with a deliver guy about it when the place wanted to charge me $4 delivery charge and then he wanted a tip. I gave him a tip because I felt bad for him, but I told him I'd never buy from the place again, and I haven't.

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't have respect for pizza drivers[/quote]

Because?

[quote name='muncle']nope. i never tip - they get paid at least minimum wage.

I only tip the waiters and waitresses and whenever I get my haircut[/quote]

Even when there's no delivery charge?

I never get pizza delivered. It saves on tip and delivery charge, plus a lot of coupons are for pickup only and I've never ordered pizza without using a coupon.

A lot of places I know only have a delivery charge if you're ordering under a certain amount. But regardless of the delivery charge I still tip.

[quote name='Rocko']Because?[/QUOTE]

I worked with too many of them in the past. Call it anecdotal, and you'd be right. Nevertheless, they're all fuckin' whackjobs as far as I'm concerned. They do account for good stories (like the cat who drove into the living room of a family's house when delivering to them), but it's not some sort of classist "oh, you're just a lowly delivery guy" attitude. I just think they're all dangerously insane.

I always tip, but if I theres a delivery charge I will just go pick up the pizza. I just don't like the delivery charge because I doubt that the delivery guy gets any of the money, but If I knew for a fact he got the money then I have no problem paying it.

I tend to just do carry out. A) Beacause its faster (15-20 minutes versus 45-60 minutes for delivery). B) Because lately I've just been getting the P'zones from Pizza Hut and they have an $8 minimum for deliveries. And C) because It's cheaper for me to just do it myself.

I don't want to end up waiting an extra half hour minimum and then have to pay $4-5 more for it.

I almost always tip.

I usually pay for everything through debit, so I usually can't tip at the coffee shop. and the people at the coffee shop I go to never say thanks when I do tip, so fuck 'em :\

I have a funny anecdote about Tipping...

My sister and I were the only 2 people who were home, and I had to go to the bathroom. As I'm walking to the bathroom, the door bell rings, and at this point, I was doing a Pee-pee dance. I told my 12 year old sister to go pay the guy, and handed her 20 bucks. She walks back, after I finished in the bathroom, and hands me like 4 dollars. So I asked how much it was and she was like, "Well, it came to 15.50, and I thought 50 cents would be enough"...
I still tease her about it to this day.

i ask the guy if he wants a slice for his tip. i think only twice the guy requested money and i think i gave them 1$ plus my change.

[quote name='monkeydeew']i ask the guy if he wants a slice for his tip. i think only twice the guy requested money and i think i gave them 1$ plus my change.[/QUOTE]

must be tough mowing lawns

The whole reason why they put a delivery charge is because of the rising cost of gas prices. I usually tip about 3 dollars as that should cover a gallon of gas, even though I know the driver used less than 1 gallon to reach my location. It's not a question about good or bad service. Pizza takes time to make and get to it's location, so there is no way I am going to tip a guy 10 bucks for getting me a pizza in less then 15 minutes after placing my order just to get a half baked pizza. I always tell myself place the order atleast an hour before whatever is going to start, weither it's a good tv show/movie or when friends come over. It's not about how well the guy on the phone took the order or how the pizza maker made the order or even how the guy delivered it. As long as the guy doesn't hit my car when he parks in my drive way, then all is cool.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I never tip, mainly because I order Papa Johns online, and it's easier to stiff a computer than a real live person.[/QUOTE]

wait.... have we gotten so fat and lazy that we now have to order ONLINE because we don't have the verbal skills and the hand skills to pick up the damn phone, dial the number, ask for any specials and place the damn order with the person over the phone?!?!?!

I quit doing delivery when the places around here started dropping $2+ for delivery charges.

And, depending on the locale, the drivers do get a per-delivery commission... back 15+ years ago when I was delivering, I was making minimum wage plus .75 commission per delivery, plus tips. I'd always tip when I got delivery... but when delivery became extra, fuck it... I'll get off my own ass and go get my pizza.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I never tip, mainly because I order Papa Johns online, and it's easier to stiff a computer than a real live person.[/QUOTE]

That's different, IMO. Ordering online, places ask for a tip ahead of time. I'm not putting a tip down and taking the chance of the cat delivering my pizza 70 minutes later, at room temperature, and bringing along a warm 2-liter of Coke. So I can agree with your sentiment, but only because I'm not deciding on a tip until the service is rendered.

No because I don't order from places with a delivery charge. I either will get delivery if it's free delivery (and then tip around $2) or pick it up from a place that charges for delivery

[quote name='ITDEFX']wait.... have we gotten so fat and lazy that we now have to order ONLINE because we don't have the verbal skills and the hand skills to pick up the damn phone, dial the number, ask for any specials and place the damn order with the person over the phone?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Some places like Papa John's almost force you to order online because they have online only specials. Like all the coupon codes for B1G1 free that aren't available if you order over the phone or in store.

[quote name='ITDEFX']wait.... have we gotten so fat and lazy that we now have to order ONLINE because we don't have the verbal skills and the hand skills to pick up the damn phone, dial the number, ask for any specials and place the damn order with the person over the phone?!?!?![/quote]"Valid only at www.papajohns.com", sir.

Man, you guys acting like stiffing someone through online ordering (Papa John's, CampusFood), is better than doing it in person. But newsflash, they know how much they're being tipped. Stiffing them before they've even made your pizza is a good way to get your food spit on.

I always tip. These places pay dick prices for delivery drivers, plus they have to almost always use there own car. Last time I checked, gas is 3.11/gallon up here and they usually don't reimburse you.

I always tip bartenders, hairdressers, delivery, or when being waited on.

Places I frequent regularly always treat me very well, why? Because I tip good. People will work harder, faster, and more efficiently if they know they will be getting some good money for doing it. Fact of life.

I'm always having food delivered. While it remains unspoken, the driver and I both know that he can fuck with my food if I piss them off. So I tip well just avoid people rubbing their balls on my pizza, it's the price you pay.

Damn, I'm glad I don't deliver to some of you. I'm currently working as a driver for Domino's and I can say that delivery charge doesn't all go to the driver in my experience. At the Domino's I work at the charge is $1.50 and I get paid $0.85 out of that for gas reimbursement, and I only get $5.70 an hour. Its not like the drivers really have a say in the delivery charge. I'd rather not have it since people do tend to tip less because of it and generally the only thing making this job worth it is the tips. I can accept the fact that people don't consider pizza delivery as worthy of the same kind of tip as a dine in restaurant, I'm providing a more limited service, but I'm also tearing up my car to do it and I'd think that would be worth maybe a couple of bucks on a 20 dollar order.

And you somehow manage to avoid encountering a "real live person" when you get your pizza how? Do you put your order in online and magically it pops up in your face? No? Then you still have to deal with the driver at the door and you could at least spare a buck or two to give to the guy bringing the pizza to your lazy ass.

Funny story about the sister.

I always tip well because I waited tables for a while and my wife worked at papa johns when we were dating. However, I stopped ordering pizza delievery when they started charging for delivery. Based on my wifes stories of what the delievery people got it tips for a night I know there was no need for a delivery charge execpt the company thought they could get away with it. They lost a lot of business and money by pulling that. I still miss the pizza, but I won't order delievery (execpt a local joint that doesn't charge for delivery).

T

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Damn, I'm glad I don't deliver to some of you. I'm currently working as a driver for Domino's and I can say that delivery charge doesn't all go to the driver in my experience. At the Domino's I work at the charge is $1.50 and I get paid $0.85 out of that for gas reimbursement, and I only get $5.70 an hour. Generally the only thing making this job worth it is the tips. I can accept the fact that people don't consider pizza delivery as worthy of the same kind of tip as a dine in restaurant, I'm providing a more limited service, but I'm also tearing up my car to do it and I'd think that would be worth maybe a couple of bucks on a 20 dollar order. Besides its not like the drivers really have a say in the delivery charge. I'd rather not have it since people do tend to tip less because of it.[/QUOTE]

The Domino's where I'm at advertise $12/hour for starting delivery drivers. Is that before or after a good days tips? Hahaha

I usually give 2-3 bucks for pizza delivery. As for hairdressers, I don't, because I just shave my head. I think that if I already am paying for the cut, just shaving my head is not that time consuming or difficult. If I didn't hate cleaning up the mess, I would just shave my own head. Waiters and waitresses, I either tip 15-20% for excelent service, $2 for average service or nothing with below average service. I work in the restaurant industry myself, so I'm not that picky, but if the service is mediocre or bad, I don't really give that much.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']The Domino's where I'm at advertise $12/hour for starting delivery drivers. Is that before or after a good days tips? Hahaha[/QUOTE]

$12/hr after tips isn't hard to see on a good day, but it all probably averages closer to $10 when it's all said and done. Still, its a pretty good job for while I'm still in school. Flexible hours, decent money w/tips, and half price pizza(even if it is Domino's).

I'm not aware of any pizza places around me that actually have a delivery charge...I don't think I would tip if they were already charging me for it, but I might float him/her an extra buck if it were raining/otherwise shitty outside.

On a similar note, I refuse to tip the person that brings my food to my hotel room when I order room service. On top of wanting $25 for a club sandwich and a lukewarm bowl of soup, they want to charge me an additional 17% "room service fee". To hell with 'em.

I worked for Domino's about 3 or 4 years ago, during which time they had just introduced the delivery charge. Obviously, it was a move by the franchise owner, but the drivers didn't see a dime of that charge for at least a month or two. Shit hit the fan so bad with drivers complaining, though, that they upped the commission. But said commission was already not even remotely close to covering gas prices (something like 40-60 cents per run). When the delivery charge was first introduced, it was like fucking management wanted to completely cut any cost difference between carryout and delivery. Even when we raised a fuss, though, the commission was literally only raised a dime or so.

As a result, I always assume that at the very least, the franchise is seeing much more of the delivery charge than the driver. I try not to order from such places, but when I do I tip the same as if there wasn't a charge.

Yes.. any time someone does a job for me where their actual pay depends drastically on my gratuity i do tip. I like to think I tip pretty well too.

I will say though that not stiffing the delivery guy, waiteress, etc. is a good way to get your stuff screwed with. That is from experience over the years of working at restaraunts. (I personally never did, I would just be short with the customer and ignore it when they were asking for little extras and stuff). I've seen lots of food screwed around with.

This is how Pizza Hut works (in my area anyway):

They used to offer free delivery; did it for some time, and the drivers were paid $1 per run (it actually started at 50¢, but steadily grew to an even dollar). Years later they began charging for delivery. Started at 50¢, then 75¢, a dollar, then finally settled on $1.25. All this time the drivers were paid $1 per run, and remain so to this day. Adding a delivery charge was never about helping the drivers, it was an easy way to make more money without raising prices elsewhere ("because most places charge for delivery anyway...").

Frankly I don't want customers tipping me "because gas is expensive." I've explained to a few that the store covers my gas and maintenance needs (mostly), the tip should be for the service, and because I'm the one dealing with traffic, bad weather, risk of robbery (it's happened to me).

And what myke said is true. Most people that work in pizza places are complete retards (though you should tip the driver anyway...if the service is good). ;)

bread's done
Back