Pizza delivery charge...do you still tip?

[quote name='ITDEFX']wait.... have we gotten so fat and lazy that we now have to order ONLINE because we don't have the verbal skills and the hand skills to pick up the damn phone, dial the number, ask for any specials and place the damn order with the person over the phone?!?!?![/QUOTE]

You countin' the calories you burn talking to some dunderheaded phone center rep?

Reading a thread like this is exactly why I stridently refuse to cross-train as a server at my current job.

It still boggles my mind that there are people in this day and age that don't tip. Though, I've noticed that it's mainly because they don't understand that these people's wages ARE your tip.

'Oh, I'm going to stiff the delivery guy.' Really, that just makes you an asshole.

If you get crappy service, fine, then don't tip... that's reasonable. Not tipping because you just don't want to? Dick move.

I havn't gotten pizza delivered in years, I just pick it up. Last time I got pizza delivered, the pizza was something like $17 and I hand the guy a 20. He then starts to walk back to his car, with my extra $3 in hand assuming I was going to let him keep the change. I stop him and tell him to give me my change, and proceed to call him a jackass under my breath.

I usually tip based on the amount of time it takes to receive my pizza. All the pizza joints around here charge a delivery fee, which kinda pisses me off, but I at least give them a dollar if its over 10 min later than the time I was quoted. They get nothing if its over 30 min late and I always tell them this when they deliver that late.

Every time I order Pizza Hut, I always get the same guy, this russian dude. He seems nice, but my gf tells me he could be with the russian mafia and will "whack" us if we don't give him a tip, so we like to play with that.

Then there's this white-haired skinny middle-aged dude that sometimes deliveres for Dominoes. He's always cheery and smiling real over-the-top and kinda boucing around. So, we like to believe he's a meth addict.

My GF always over-tips tho, so I try to be the one that pays the driver. She'll give the guy over $5 even when the pizza is 20 min late.

I don't condone tipping drivers according to how quickly they deliver your pizza. That rarely is at all up to the driver. It's not like they're hanging around while your pizza sits around. When your pizza is up, the driver leaves. If another order coming up soon after is in the same neck of the woods, then management is going to pair the driver up with it. That was never the driver's call, at least in my experience working delivery back in the day.

[quote name='magiic']one of the places here charges a delivery fee AND a gas surcharge

beat that[/QUOTE]

I would expect that in places like California as their gas prices are extremely high in the first place.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Everytime I do my job correctly, I should ask my boss for a couple bucks.[/QUOTE]

Sheesh, what don't you get about this?

You're paying for a service. You paid for the pizza, and the tip is paying for the SERVICE of getting the pizza from their place to your house.

I delivered pizza in pittsburgh for Vocelli's (used to be pizza outlet). We got paid 5 bucks/hour and we got $.60 per delivery. So if in any given hour we had two deliveries I would make 6.20 (before tax). So pretty much the bulk of my income from this job came from tips. I fuckin HATED getting stiffed so to all of you out there who dont tip pizza delivery guys...I dont like you! If you're too damned lazy to get off your ass and go get your pizza yourself, show some fuckin class and tip the driver for bringing it to you. THis is assuming of course that you don't have a good reason to stiff him (late/rude/pizza is crushed).

I think everyone should, at some point in their life, be a server or delivery person or work some other position where you're income is dependent upon tipping.

[quote name='lordwow']Sheesh, what don't you get about this?

You're paying for a service. You paid for the pizza, and the tip is paying for the SERVICE of getting the pizza from their place to your house.[/quote]I routinely see pizza places advertising "Looking for drivers, starting at $12/13 per hour". If someone is making $13 an hour, they don't deserve an extra couple bucks for taking one thing from Point A to Point B.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I routinely see pizza places advertising "Looking for drivers, starting at $12/13 per hour". If someone is making $13 an hour, they don't deserve an extra couple bucks for taking one thing from Point A to Point B.[/QUOTE]

When they advertise $12/13 an hour that is NOT what the store actually pays the drivers, its an estimate of what drivers make from there wage and the money they make when people actually fucking tip! I guarantee if there's any pizza place actually paying drivers $12-13/hr they aren't going to stay in business much longer.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']When they advertise $12/13 an hour that is NOT what the store actually pays the drivers, its an estimate of what drivers make from there wage and the money they make when people actually fucking tip! I guarantee if there's any pizza place actually paying drivers $12-13/hr they aren't going to stay in business much longer.[/quote]Then I guess they won't be making $13 and hour when they drop off a pizza at my house :lol:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Then I guess they won't be making $13 and hour when they drop off a pizza at my house :lol:[/quote]

Then I guess you don't mind eating some spit and pubes the next time they drop off a pizza at your house. :puke: That is if you get a reputation of regularly stiffing them of course. Driver's have long memories.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Then I guess they won't be making $13 and hour when they drop off a pizza at my house :lol:[/QUOTE]

Nope, and if you order from them often you might find a surprise in the pizza.

[quote name='pittpizza']Then I guess you don't mind eating some spit and pubes the next time they drop off a pizza at your house. :puke: That is if you get a reputation of regularly stiffing them of course. Driver's have long memories.[/quote]The guys who usually drop off pizzas at my place look like they can't even remember to bathe regularly, let alone remember that I didn't tip them (which they don't even know, since I order online, and could have added the tip online).

The only time I don't tip is if the pizza is really late, but even then it depends.

I ordered a pizza at my parents' once when they had a home in a new development. I knew that it would take them forever to find the place from no fault of their own, so I gave the guy a few bucks more than normal for the trouble when he finally showed up.

Another time I ordered a pizza from my house and it took about 5 calls and almost 2 hours to get my pizza. You bet your sweet ass I didn't give him a tip (also got the pizza for free after talking to a manager.)

I don't tip because I don't get delivery. In my experiance, the pizza places that don't do delivery usually have the best pizza. Plus I usually time it so I get there right as they pull it out from the oven. It's soo much better that way.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']The guys who usually drop off pizzas at my place look like they can't even remember to bathe regularly, let alone remember that I didn't tip them (which they don't even know, since I order online, and could have added the tip online).[/QUOTE]

How are you under this impression that because you ordered online they don't know what you tipped. It's not like a secret paycheck at the end of the month. It tells them what they're being tipped when they get the order.

[quote name='lordwow']How are you under this impression that because you ordered online they don't know what you tipped. It's not like a secret paycheck at the end of the month. It tells them what they're being tipped when they get the order.[/quote]

Let him think what he wants...its probably tough to sleep when you're worrying about whether you have pube hair stuck between your teeth and hepatitus (sp?) in your tummy.

The funny thing is, people who don't tip deserve it IMO.

The fee covers the gas cost and you're paying for the convenience of having your food delivered to your door steps. You should always tip the driver.

cousin just got a job at the pizza place

they places charges 3 bucks for delivery and the manager gets that money

if they dont get tipped they dont get any of that 3 bucks.

the manager said the cost is to get the items delivered to make the pizza. i say she works there for 2 days and quits lol

just give the guy 3 bucks and be done with it. Geez people. Now if it takes the guy over 2 hours to find your house because the idiot doesn't know how to find your place, then tip him a quarter. If they call your house to find out where you live, just tell him forget it.

OK, like another poster here, I am also a delivery driver for Domino's Pizza.

I make pretty good money for what I do, and I hate when people don't tip.

While your lazy ass is sitting at home waiting for me I have to put up with the traffic, weather, cops, etc.

I have been pulled over twice while delivering and my second ticket was over $400, just so I can get some pathetic bastard his pizza on time and hope that he tips me at least a buck.

I am trying to make a living here while I have to run my car into the ground just so some lazy bastard doesn't have to get up and drive to the store.

Oh, and let's not mention the time I had a gun shoved into my face and was told they would blow my brains out if I didn't give them the mere $12 that I had on me.

Seriously guys, your driver puts up with a lot of crap that you unless you actually do this job you cant even begin to fathom how bad our days can be.

I get cussed out, spit at, swung at, and cut off on the road on a daily basis just so someone can have a pizza delivered to them.

An extra buck or two wouldn't kill you to give to your driver, do you think we're the ones that added that delivery charge? No way, I hate that thing! Don't take it out on us by stiffing us.

[quote name='MegoW64']OK, like another poster here, I am also a delivery driver for Domino's Pizza.

I make pretty good money for what I do, and I hate when people don't tip.

While your lazy ass is sitting at home waiting for me I have to put up with the traffic, weather, cops, etc.

I have been pulled over twice while delivering and my second ticket was over $400, just so I can get some pathetic bastard his pizza on time and hope that he tips me at least a buck.

I am trying to make a living here while I have to run my car into the ground just so some lazy bastard doesn't have to get up and drive to the store.

Oh, and let's not mention the time I had a gun shoved into my face and was told they would blow my brains out if I didn't give them the mere $12 that I had on me.

Seriously guys, your driver puts up with a lot of crap that you unless you actually do this job you cant even begin to fathom how bad our days can be.

I get cussed out, spit at, swung at, and cut off on the road on a daily basis just so someone can have a pizza delivered to them.

An extra buck or two wouldn't kill you to give to your driver, do you think we're the ones that added that delivery charge? No way, I hate that thing! Don't take it out on us by stiffing us.[/QUOTE]

There is a local pizza/sub joint that seemed to be very popular with the school I use to work at. Whenever my co-workers invite me for lunch and mention that place, I turn them down as one their food is nasty, and very over priced. Also the fact that their drivers speed throughout the neighborhood at 40-50 mph, tailgate everyone (including myself), including trying to pass you into on coming cars just to get that order delivered just pisses me off. No way I am support that type of road raging behavior.

Why the hell do you delivery drivers get crap from people? Your just delivering the order.

As for those who work as delivery drivers, I don't expect you guys to do that as a career, but just for a few months before moving on to something else. Anyways does 3 dollars sound fair for a tip?

$3 is an awesome tip.

The reason why you always see the drivers driving like idiots is because we get so much crap at our store by our boss to make our service times better or we'll fired...then they deny telling us to speed when we get pulled over. I can read between the lines, but I DO NOT speed through subdivisions/small neighborhoods...I am not out to kill anyone.

The reason why the drivers get the crap is because we are the face that people see, you dont see the phone person who pissed you off..so its taken out on the driver.

I was cussed out by a 9-year-old girl the other morning because I didnt have 21 cents to give her.

Also, i'm a female, so I guess people think that i'll just take their crap.

[quote name='MegoW64']$3 is an awesome tip.

The reason why you always see the drivers driving like idiots is because we get so much crap at our store by our boss to make our service times better or we'll fired...then they deny telling us to speed when we get pulled over. I can read between the lines, but I DO NOT speed through subdivisions/small neighborhoods...I am not out to kill anyone.

The reason why the drivers get the crap is because we are the face that people see, you dont see the phone person who pissed you off..so its taken out on the driver.

I was cussed out by a 9-year-old girl the other morning because I didnt have 21 cents to give her.

Also, i'm a female, so I guess people think that i'll just take their crap.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute, so your bosses are telling you get that order in a certain amount of time or else your fired? So it's like they don't care if your the one who gets the ticket or the points on your license?!?!

And why the fuck is a 9 year old answering the door to a stranger? Are the parents THAT LAZY? If I were you, I would have opened up the box and smashed that pie in her face for saying that shit to me.

I like to average at least $2 per run in tips (though more is better obviously), and I usually hit the mark.

[quote name='pittpizza']Let him think what he wants...its probably tough to sleep when you're worrying about whether you have pube hair stuck between your teeth and hepatitus (sp?) in your tummy.[/quote] I never tamper with the food, no matter how much I hate a customer. I will however not go out of my way to provide the best service (usually delivering other orders first).

Depends on the delivery fee, if it's Papa John's with their bullshit $1.50 fee, they only get a dollar extra instead of the $3 I usually tip.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I routinely see pizza places advertising "Looking for drivers, starting at $12/13 per hour". If someone is making $13 an hour, they don't deserve an extra couple bucks for taking one thing from Point A to Point B.[/QUOTE]

*facepalm*

you have to be kidding.

then again you don't tip, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this one got by you.

[quote name='pittpizza']Let him think what he wants...its probably tough to sleep when you're worrying about whether you have pube hair stuck between your teeth and hepatitus (sp?) in your tummy.

The funny thing is, people who don't tip deserve it IMO.[/quote]Wow, are you a fucking moron. I don't give him 2 bucks, so I deserve to eat shit, piss, spit, or pubic hairs? Gimme a fucking break.

[quote name='MegoW64']I make pretty good money for what I do, and I hate when people don't tip.

Oh, and let's not mention the time I had a gun shoved into my face and was told they would blow my brains out if I didn't give them the mere $12 that I had on me.[/QUOTE]

That's your job and you make good money. What's there to bitch about? Only thing you do is drive the pizza to the destination.

There are way worse thing out there you could be doing where you recieve no compensation for what you put in. As someone who has done construction and dug trenches (by hand) for a living, please stop being such a bitch over the career choice you made.

I know when I used to work at Pizza hut like 3 years ago, the drivers were paid a little more than minimum wage. On top of that, they received $1 for everytime they went out. That one dollar was supposed to cover gas/car maintanance and stuff.

Now the kicker is that there was a $2 delivery charge...where that other $1 went...nobody knows.

I hate the concept of tipping...but I also hate the idea of having a dick in my pizza, so I tip around $2 whenever I order.

With gas prices at $3 a gallon, car expenses repairs, and the mentioned possible tickets/other incidents delivering a pizza I easily give them *atleast* a $3 tip.

If it's a local delivery place and I order from them alot, they get $4+ more though just because I know I'm getting good service.

Anyways I would rather work retail then deliver. Hence my current career choice.

[quote name='yukine']Not always, it depends on how well they execute said delivery.[/QUOTE]

what is your idea of a "ideal" delivery? Guy pulls up in a nice shiny car, comes out wearing an expensive suit, white gloves carrying your pizza in a portable heater that keeps the pizza hot for atleast 12 hours. Then he comes in, cuts and serves your pizza for you while you and your kids stuff there faces? yea that's worth 3 dollars in tip :\

I always am cool with the drivers and tip 3 or 4 dollars. I don't expect them to have master's degrees, just as long as they know where I live and charge me what was quoted over the phone...if its HIGHER then what was quoted, then I am gonna call the store and get it fixed on the spot.

Only very few times the order has come in messed up, and the pizza place was nice enough to send another one out to fix the order and of course I tip the driver for bringing in the fixed order since it wasn't his fault..he just delivers it.

[quote name='Sporadic']Depends on the delivery fee, if it's Papa John's with their bullshit $1.50 fee, they only get a dollar extra instead of the $3 I usually tip.[/QUOTE]

And that's the kind of attitude towards the charge that just tends to fuck delivery drivers over. I don't determine the delivery fee. The money drivers get out of it is the gas reimbursement the store would pay with or without implementing the delivery charge. We don't get more for it and you tipping us less isn't giving the store any encouragement to drop it.

so let me ask you this..for those who actually deliver...

how many rounds do you have to make a night to cover your gas tank?

How much do you make a night?

[quote name='ITDEFX']how many rounds do you have to make a night to cover your gas tank?[/quote]
One. Gas isn't that expensive (yet). Thankfully my store's area is smaller than the norm, and my work car is easy on the gas. The reimbursement I receive is more than enough to cover the gas I use, regardless of how many runs I take. Everything else is set aside for maintenance.

I generally average about twenty runs per night, and average $2 per run in tips. Combined with my reimbursement that's $60 take home nightly, plus my wage.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']And that's the kind of attitude towards the charge that just tends to fuck delivery drivers over. I don't determine the delivery fee. The money drivers get out of it is the gas reimbursement the store would pay with or without implementing the delivery charge. We don't get more for it and you tipping us less isn't giving the store any encouragement to drop it.[/quote]
qft, with emphasis on the bold.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Wow, are you a fucking moron. I don't give him 2 bucks, so I deserve to eat shit, piss, spit, or pubic hairs? Gimme a fucking break.[/QUOTE]

It's an imperfect world.

[quote name='Sporadic']That's your job and you make good money. What's there to bitch about? Only thing you do is drive the pizza to the destination.

There are way worse thing out there you could be doing where you recieve no compensation for what you put in. As someone who has done construction and dug trenches (by hand) for a living, please stop being such a bitch over the career choice you made.[/QUOTE]

I'm not being a bitch, I was just expressing things that piss me off about people..I live off of my tips, so when people dont tip me I cant eat or put gas in my car.

This isnt my career choice, this is just some pissy part time job that I am doing until I finish college and begin my real career.

There is so much more to it then "drive the pizza to the destination", I have to put up with so much shit that you cant even imagine.

(Nontipper complaints)
You nontippers better tip us.

Its expensive driving to your house because your to fat to go yourself! And then we get like 50 cents to pay for gas!

Tip waiters that walk two feet from the kitchen to your table? But you dont tip the driver that drives around looking for your shittily painted House Number?
(end nontipper rant)
I ussually get tipped 2-5 bucks. I have had around 2-3 non-tippers. I've been delivering for about 1-2 months now.

Oh and if you are going to order from anybody, go outside and see if your numbers are noticeable from the street.... Man, people really have the shittiest numbers on their house. It feels like every place that orders runs out and scrapes off their numbers.

so let me ask you this..for those who actually deliver...

how many rounds do you have to make a night to cover your gas tank?

How much do you make a night?

I work during the days. Around four hours a day. And on slow days I can do anywhere between 4-8 deliveries. And my highest delivery count was around 18 in four hours.

And it isn't a shitty job. Trust me, I hate doing crappy jobs. If you have very low attention span delivering is a great idea because its always different(even when you hit up the same places). I first worked backstage for plays but that was just a temp job, then I went into a College and worked as an Assistant to Accounts Payable (BORING) Then I worked retail at Best Buy, EBgames and Circuit City. Way to boring and I hate dealing with customers. And then I worked at THQ Testing Games. Omg SO boring and I hate all game testers.

Pizza Delivery is probably my favorite job i've had. Although driving for Infiniti was hella fun (but didnt pay good enough for what you had to do).
Its also nice taking home cash every night. And its a great job to have while attending college.

BUT:
Dont tip once? Fine, its alright... just tip next time...
Dont tip twice? Ergh... dont be a jerk, better hope you dont get me again.
Dont tip the third time? You are now getting menstrual Blood Imported from a Japanese vending machine in your pizza sauce.

I hate the concept of tipping...but I also hate the idea of having a dick in my pizza, so I tip around $2 whenever I order.
Haha, true. I think the concept of tipping is lame. I think its stupid when you are forced to tip when its something that you could do. But, the person ordering obviously couldnt go get the pizza themselves thus = tip.

(Those that live in the Thousand Oaks area, order from Toppers!)

Reading a thread like this is exactly why I stridently refuse to cross-train as a server at my current job.

It still boggles my mind that there are people in this day and age that don't tip. Though, I've noticed that it's mainly because they don't understand that these people's wages ARE your tip.

'Oh, I'm going to stiff the delivery guy.' Really, that just makes you an asshole.

If you get crappy service, fine, then don't tip... that's reasonable. Not tipping because you just don't want to? Dick move.
People that don't tip are complete morons. I KNOW WHERE YOU fuckING LIVE! Ahahaha. And I know that dog that yaps at the door every time I ring the door bell has to go out to pee sometime, and when he does ill be out there to snap its neck. (No I wouldnt, but it just sounded funny). But really, I know where you live. What is going to stop me from coming to your house at 1am with a dozen eggs that I purchased with the money I got from someone that acctually tipped!

$20 Order and you werent nice AND didnt tip? 20 Eggs.

"Here's a tip. Get a better job."

I'm sure you get tipped after slurping up the last drop of your clients warm man jizz...

If they're there in less than a half hour I give them 4 bucks, less than 20 minutes 6 bucks, less than 10 minutes 10 bucks (the chinese places are amazing about this now that they know me).

[quote name='ITDEFX']what is your idea of a "ideal" delivery? Guy pulls up in a nice shiny car, comes out wearing an expensive suit, white gloves carrying your pizza in a portable heater that keeps the pizza hot for atleast 12 hours. Then he comes in, cuts and serves your pizza for you while you and your kids stuff there faces? yea that's worth 3 dollars in tip :\
[/quote]
Speak from personal experience?

I base it on the speed of the delivery, if it's still hot when I get it, and if they even got the correct pizza to begin with. Also, I have to like the knock they used on my door.

I'm not going to give anyone money for doing something poorly, no matter how insignificant it might be in the grand scheme of things. I take it you're the type that would take a multiple kicks to the nuts and still give the nut-kicker a tip.

I tip the driver $2 or $3 depending on how much I ordered. Sometimes $4.

I hardly do that anymore though because I like to just pick it up myself.

I don't do delivery because I'm a cheaper mother fucker. But I think tipping as a whole is stupid. Who decided what jobs deserve tips and what jobs don't? It's stupid.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Wait a minute, so your bosses are telling you get that order in a certain amount of time or else your fired? So it's like they don't care if your the one who gets the ticket or the points on your license?!?!
[/quote]

The reason they say it is so that you have more fun with your job. Who doesn't like Crazy Taxi? :D

[quote name='help1']The reason they say it is so that you have more fun with your job. Who doesn't like Crazy Taxi? :D[/QUOTE]

YEA but in crazy taxi you can pick up Cheer leaders and make mad money.

bread's done
Back