Place to Work?

gamefreak

CAGiversary!
I'd like to summon the Cheapass Gamer knowledge on the topic of good jobs for a teenager.

Retail? Movie theater? Library?

Grocery stores, especially Publix.
Movie Theater before retail... as previous post said. I've heard the library is good too, also book stores. Avoid the retail stores, there is alot of shit you have to put up with there.

[quote name='2poor']drug dealer[/QUOTE]

I suppose you mean "pharmaceutical merchant"? :)

How would a place like Barns and Noble be?

Movie theater can be good, I was a ticket tearer, easiest job ever. Just don't get stuck at the box office during summer on a weekend, oh my God!

I worked at Vons (grocery store, a.k.a Safeway) for two years, that was my favorite job I ever had. I stock the freezers, it was great. I never had to deal with people, and the work was so easy. I met a bunch of girls there too.

I worked at UPS too, that was nice, but you have to lift a lot, it's very grueling, but you don't have to deal with the public, and you can wear whatever you want.

Yeah, being in a theater would be good for the benefits but I think it would suck to get stuck shoveling popcorn all day (or cleaning up after everyone).

I'm not really inclined to be in the food industry either...

Oooh my friend does that. Good hours, reasonable pay. But a high risk factor. Still, a worthwhile occupation.

I'd suggest working for a local restraunt. I don't mean a fast food joint or a chain, but a locally owned middle of the road place. The place I worked at in high school let me make food after it closed, so long as I was done before the cooks were ready to clean the grills. I miss talking to the crack-addict they had working the dishwasher. You don't meet people that interesting in corporate america :)

Movie theaters are good if you like movies, because they usually will let you and a friend see movies for free.

Are the earley dibs on the good deals and employee discounts at places like Best Buy and Gamestop not worth dealing with crazy people?

Well... if you happen to be overweight or obese, a good bet would be as a cart attendant somewhere, from experience Target. I applied and got a job at my local Target a little more than a year ago and have since lost 60 lbs.

Even though most Target locations now use them new-fangled cart movers (my location didnt have one until 5 months into my being hired) you get enough physical action to get a good daily workout.

And on top of that you get your 10% discount on anything sold there.
I'm waiting to use my discount on the DS when we sell them at the new price.

I doubt you'd lose 60 lbs. just by pushing carts around.

Unless you're like 600 lbs., and then you couldn't walk anyway.

[quote name='kittie']I doubt you'd lose 60 lbs. just by pushing carts around.

Unless you're like 600 lbs., and then you couldn't walk anyway.[/QUOTE]

I kid you not, I went from 235 to 175lbs, you've just gotta make sure you eat right, and pushing carts is not all you do...

[quote name='rodeojones903']I would recommend a movie theater way before retail.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they pay sorta sucks I guess it depends on where you go. It can be very frustrating dealing with customers but the job itself is very easy, plus you get to see free movies.

bread's done
Back