Plan to Build Mosque Near Ground Zero Riles Families of 9/11 Victims

[quote name='mykevermin']Why, instead, since you want to paint this issue as one of insensitivity, try to compare it to something in the real world? Why not equate (and I'm shocked this hasn't been done more frequently) it w/ the Westboro Baptist Church?[/QUOTE]

What about westboro are you equating? That it is a fringe group that has some radical views that it carries out through protests, so baptist churches should not be allowed to build near gay people?

I think it would be simliar if a separate baptist church located near Carrie Frenchs neighborhood decided to build a very large baptist church fairly close to the family because they want to show the family that not all baptists are like that.

I would say that would be pretty douchy too. Omgz im bigoted towards baptists and I didn't even know it.

[quote name='Knoell']I have already asked this before and you guys said it doesn't count but you brought it up....Would you be mad if a catholic church of a denomination that had no molestation charges built a church next to a molestation victim because of the proximity to the molestation victim and wanted the victim to know that not all priests do that type of thing? I certainly would, and I would certainly understand the victims feelings on the matter.

The catholic church does not HAVE to build there to practice its faith, and it is perfectly reasonable for someone to ask them to give the sensitive area some room. Same goes for the mosque.

Should anyone force either one to not build there? Certainly not. Do they still have a right to practice their religion? Certainly.[/QUOTE]
You do get (who am I kidding, you don't) that this isn't a mosque in the strict sense, right? Now I'm sure you're thinking that they're only trying to disguise it or something, but the fact is that this place is as much a mosque as a YMCA is a church. We've already been over the church thing, so congrats on circling back to an old argument.

[quote name='Knoell']What about westboro are you equating? That it is a fringe group that has some radical views, so baptist churches should not be allowed to build near gay people?[/QUOTE]
I can't speak for Myke, but I'm guessing he meant that despite the horrible protests they put on, not everyone thinks all Baptists believe that shit. I'm guessing you can understand that, but still can't seem to grasp that not every Muslim is a terrorist and thus have no responsibility for what happened on 9/11.

Otherwise I'm going to protest any new Baptist church buildings because all Baptists are just like the Westboro group.

Btw, fun fact about the WBC, most of the followers are Phelps' own relatives, pathetic.

[quote name='Clak']I can't speak for Myke, but I'm guessing he meant that despite the horrible protests they put on, not everyone thinks all Baptists believe that shit. I'm guessing you can understand that, but still can't seem to grasp that not every Muslim is a terrorist and thus have no responsibility for what happened on 9/11.

Otherwise I'm going to protest any new Baptist church buildings because all Baptists are just like the Westboro group.

Btw, fun fact about the WBC, most of the followers are Phelps' own relatives, pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Right there is your key to understanding this. If you can figure out why that is wrong, you win.

[quote name='Clak']You do get (who am I kidding, you don't) that this isn't a mosque in the strict sense, right? Now I'm sure you're thinking that they're only trying to disguise it or something, but the fact is that this place is as much a mosque as a YMCA is a church. We've already been over the church thing, so congrats on circling back to an old argument.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I didnt bring up the church thing. Congrats on reading the entire discussion.

Is a church still a church if it has a school attached?

Oh wait, it has to be near the site of where something happened? I can't just decide that I don't want people near me because I can't separate them from the rest of a group? Fine, make it a baptist church near the home of a gay couple. And i beleive the Catholic church argument is yours (you just said so above) that you keep trotting out like it's some kind of fucking show horse.

And no, now it's a church with a school. Just like this place is a center with a prayer room.

[quote name='Knoell']Right there is your key to understanding this. If you can figure out why that is wrong, you win.[/QUOTE]

Protesting one or protesting many is a matter of the degree of discrimination - it is not the catalyst that separates discriminatory from non-discriminatory behavior.

If jews can build synagogues next to banks, them muslims should be able to build mosques near terrorist attack sites. It's as simple as that.

Breaking news. A complete change in position regarding the GZ Mosque:

[quote name='Sarah Palin']Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure however, that she would consider 9/11 an 'act of war', not a crime.

[quote name='IRHari']Breaking news. A complete change in position regarding the GZ Mosque:

I'm sure however, that she would consider 9/11 an 'act of war', not a crime.[/QUOTE]

HAA HAA HAA. Total win. At great fear of adding another comment to the thread, this was too good not to commend you on.

I was watching Real Time over the weekend and Maher talked about that. All the shit that got stirred up over this, and it opens with nary a peep from anyone. Not saying I wish there had been, but it just shows how much of a non-issue it was to begin with. Just something else for people to get temporarily riled up about.

bread's done
Back