Planet Earth: Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray] - ~$34 shipped from Amazon.co.uk

Pr0JectNymPh0!

CAGiversary!
UPDATE#3: WENT DOWN TO ~$34 SHIPPED AS OF 01/24/2009

UPDATE#2: WENT UP TO ~$38 SHIPPED AS OF 01/09/2009

UPDATE#1: THANKS TO gi60 FOR THE HEADS-UP! NOW UPDATED WITH THE NEW PRICE AND LATEST EXCHANGE RATE AS OF 01/08/2009! NOW ~$32 SHIPPED.

NOTE: Your credit card may charge you 1-3% foreign surcharge fee.

I missed the Fry's Black Friday deal but fortunately I found this. It ships through Air Mail from the UK and the set will be delivered to your doorstep within 6-10 business days. It is an ALL REGION set narrated by Sir David Attenborough and not by Sigourney Weaver. This version also comes with a 5th disc.

NOTE: You can login using your existing Amazon account.

CLICK HERE

Here's what it looked like if shipped to California (It might vary with other states):

Delivery Method: Air Mail
Delivery Preference: Group my items into as few deliveries as possible
Subtotal of Items: £21.72
Postage & Packing: £3.08
------
Total before VAT: £24.80
VAT: £0.00
------
Total: £24.80
Promotional Gift Certificates: -£0.00
------
Total for this order: £24.80

CURRENT RATE AS OF 01/24/2009
£25.23 = $33.84

PACKAGE PIC

548zyh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='flakko']i have a samsung LN46A650... OOOH didnt know that i too will try that as well. thanks for the tip![/quote]
Let me know how it works out.

[quote name='MrFriday18']ordered this yesterday and it shipped today[/QUOTE]

UK Amazon seems to be more on the ball than US Amazon.
Though, I suppose we also aren't using free shipping, so maybe that has something to do with it.

[quote name='flakko']i have a samsung LN46A650... OOOH didnt know that i too will try that as well. thanks for the tip![/quote]
i messed around with mine. the best results i got was setting my contrast to around 60 then putting sharpness all the way down to 0. The sharpness setting didn't seem to have any effect on the picture aside from significantly lessening the strobing noise.

It's barely noticeable now, and if i would have had these settings from the start, i wouldn't be surprised if i wouldn't have noticed it at all

[quote name='erectiontown']i messed around with mine. the best results i got was setting my contrast to around 60 then putting sharpness all the way down to 0. The sharpness setting didn't seem to have any effect on the picture aside from significantly lessening the strobing noise.

It's barely noticeable now, and if i would have had these settings from the start, i wouldn't be surprised if i wouldn't have noticed it at all[/quote]

hmm after watching another movie (burn after reading) it seemed the noise lessened as i put the DNR to high... didnt dropping the contrast to 60 make the picture kinda dull? might have to try that when i wake up tomorow

[quote name='flakko']hmm after watching another movie (burn after reading) it seemed the noise lessened as i put the DNR to high... didnt dropping the contrast to 60 make the picture kinda dull? might have to try that when i wake up tomorow[/quote]
i didn't think so. It just made my blacks a little deeper, which i actually think i prefer now. I think the main culprit is sharpness. Even at 10, there was still quite a bit of noise, but once i brought it all the way down, it made those scenes MUCH more watchable.

[quote name='MrFriday18']ordered this yesterday and it shipped today[/quote]

good service.

takes about 1-2 days for mines to ship whenver i order.

usually takes a day but i dont know why they keep delaying my orders now.

I ordered mine on the 14th and it was shipped the same day. The estimated delivery date was (and still is) the 23rd - still hasn't come in today either. Getting a bit ticked at the USPS, but hopefully it'll be here Monday. I just wish there was some way to track packages from Amazon UK like there is with Amazon US.

Been wanting this ever since I got my PS3 in November though, and couldn't beat $36 shipped.

Got mine today. Im glad to have the extra stuff the NA version doesnt, but I think I like the NA packaging better. Possibly the lack of plastic case brings the price down?

This is a damned good deal. Even with overseas shipping it's US$10 less than getting it from Amazon-US. And David Attenborough is awesome!

Thanks, great deal! Been looking for a good price on this since I got my PS3, and just ordered it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine, jeez what flimsy packaging, all cardboard no plastic (cept for the disc holders of course). Mine arrived with a few noticeable creases on some parts..even the inside the slipcase. That being said, for 31$, 'twas well worth it.

Anyone know - will Amazon US take care of any issues if any come up (such as damaged disc)? I'd hate to have to ship back to the UK if there's any problems...

[quote name='Lord_Zath']Anyone know - will Amazon US take care of any issues if any come up (such as damaged disc)? I'd hate to have to ship back to the UK if there's any problems...[/QUOTE]

no they will not

[quote name='erectiontown']so i got my planet earth BD yesterday. it's pretty sweet, but during some scenes there is a really, really distracting flickering white noise that pervades the picture. I'm kind of a stickler for this stuff, so it's driving me absolutely insane. Any of you guys see this too?[/quote]

Just got my copy in today. Awesome deal.

After watching the footage, the noise in the dark scenes and shadow areas is most likely due to the cameras they used. If Im not mistaken, this doc took aroun 5 years cumulative to shoot, meaning that it could have started shooting as early as 2001. HD capture technology back then is nowhere near what it is now, and many small/compact cameras which they may have used had poor low-light performance back then.

The back of the box says in tiny print something to the extent that "not all footage was originated in hi-def due to shooting conditions". Given some of those extreme places they most likely had to make some compromises in image quality in order to get the camera where they wanted.

[quote name='convergecrew']Just got my copy in today. Awesome deal.

After watching the footage, the noise in the dark scenes and shadow areas is most likely due to the cameras they used. If Im not mistaken, this doc took aroun 5 years cumulative to shoot, meaning that it could have started shooting as early as 2001. HD capture technology back then is nowhere near what it is now, and many small/compact cameras which they may have used had poor low-light performance back then.

The back of the box says in tiny print something to the extent that "not all footage was originated in hi-def due to shooting conditions". Given some of those extreme places they most likely had to make some compromises in image quality in order to get the camera where they wanted.[/quote]
i understand that, but the HDTV broadcasts didn't show this noise.

[quote name='erectiontown']i understand that, but the HDTV broadcasts didn't show this noise.[/quote]

Interesting...I havent seen the broadcast version since I got my new LCD...did the broadcast versions show an equal amount of detail in the shadow areas, sans the noise? were they noticeably cleaner than the Blu-rays that we have?

[quote name='convergecrew']Interesting...I havent seen the broadcast version since I got my new LCD...did the broadcast versions show an equal amount of detail in the shadow areas, sans the noise? were they noticeably cleaner than the Blu-rays that we have?[/quote]
i'm not sure. i think the general consensus is that the broadcast was better all around

Thank you OP for the heads up on this. They shipped on 01/30 and it arrived on 02/04. 6 day shipping from the UK seems good. I dont think i ever got anything within the states that fast from amazon. also for anyone wondering (i was) i can super confirm that the show is in 1080p. my tv says so.

[quote name='gmsisko1']Will the UK version work on my US Blu Ray Player?

(I own a US PS 3) Thanks[/quote]

Yes, the bluray discs are region free.

after reading all the reviews, i thought i would be seeing wildlife in super hd or something. Boy was I wrong. Its hardly high definition, it barely looks better than standard digital television with an sd tv. I thought that Planet Earth would be a great "showcase" for the bluray capabilities but its not even that.

[quote name='bullsrfive']after reading all the reviews, i thought i would be seeing wildlife in super hd or something. Boy was I wrong. Its hardly high definition, it barely looks better than standard digital television with an sd tv. I thought that Planet Earth would be a great "showcase" for the bluray capabilities but its not even that.[/quote]
really? aside from the noisy sections, most of it looks pretty impressive?

[quote name='bullsrfive']after reading all the reviews, i thought i would be seeing wildlife in super hd or something. Boy was I wrong. Its hardly high definition, it barely looks better than standard digital television with an sd tv. I thought that Planet Earth would be a great "showcase" for the bluray capabilities but its not even that.[/QUOTE]

I bought this from Amazon UK too and I have to agree with you. While there are some fantastic scenes and whatnot, they're just fantastic because of nature itself. The actual picture quality isn't that good- according to the box, it's only 1080i but it honestly looks like it was just upscaled to 1080i for a SD source.

I too read a lot about the great scenes but always assumed it was because actual image quality.

Jeremy O'Brien;5495184]I bought this from Amazon UK too and I have to agree with you. While there are some fantastic scenes and whatnot said:
no its 1080p its just that its the UK standard to post the lowest max rez of ALL the video on the disc. the only thing that has a max rez of 1080i is the BBC logo every thing other than that is 1080p

and to the other guy talking about the image q . if you READ the back of the box it says " DUE TO THE NATURE OF FILMING IN EXTREME HABITATS, SOME FOOTAGE WAS NOT CAPTURED IN FULL HD" most of it was filmed in HD, the only mistake i think they made was showing the polar bears first. which you can clearly see wasn't filmed in HD.

Had to bite. Was planning on holding off on any new BD purchases for awhile, but...at least I'm stimulating the global economy.

Current price at £21.72, it goes down after you add it to cart with shipping it was 24.80 or around $40. just wanted to update this, still good deal. This does work on a US ps3 right

[quote name='MotzCTG'] This does work on a US ps3 right[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. This set is regoin free, so it should work on any BD player

bread's done
Back