Plants vs Zombies, XBLA, 1200pts, September 8th, box release in the fall.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
plantsvszombies04010958.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5321702/plants-vs-zombies-shambling-onto-xbox-live-arcades-lawn

I can't wait, I heard this game is great. Wow, it's been a long time since this was announced. I've already played through on my computer, iPhone and iPad...and I'll still be buying it on XBLA. :bouncy:

Here is some info about the game (Thanks Frisky!)

Plants vs. Zombies for XBLA showcases many standout features, including:
A total of seven game modes, including two new multiplayer modes: Co-Op and Vs. Mode
12 achievements and 21 mini-games -- more than any other adaptation, and including the exclusive Heavy Weaponâ„¢-inspired mini-game
A goofy new way to track and share progress online, where players create their own custom house and cruise down the street to see their friends' cribs!
The highest resolution of any Plants vs. Zombies adaptation to date at 1920 x 1080
All 50 levels of the original Adventure mode along with Puzzle, Survival, and Zen Garden

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading this earlier this morning. I also heard it is going to be released for the nintendo ds?

It's prob gonna be about $10 or whatever the points is for that amount.

I bought it for pc and it is addicting. I liked it soo much that I actually bought more then one copy to give to a friend to play but they were not interested in it.

Should be excellent. I'd like to see them add a few new zombies or plants, but the PC version is simple and addictive. Might be interesting to see if they implement some sort of multiplayer.

http://kotaku.com/5590065/co+op-and-versus-coming-to-360-plants-vs-zombies

Plants vs Zombies, my favorite tower-defense game of all time, is coming to XBLA. Even better, it's getting cooperative and competitive multiplayer! There's just so much stuff to do even without those additions.
Let's hope for an 800 point price tag. But honestly, I played the PC version for over 60 hours, so even 1200 points wouldn't be a rip-off.

[youtube]CHAbHz8iYHc[/youtube]

PC reviews

IGN
Kotaku
1up.com

As much as I love the game, unless the levels were changed I'm not sure I'd want to play PvZ with a controller.

Usually when the achievements leak, the game is done and approved and should be hitting XBLA soon. When the Doom 2 achievements finally leaked, we got the game very soon after... same with Earthworm Jim.

The sad part is that this could be done and waiting to be released, but that damn Summer of Arcade nonsense is stopping it from coming out... so don't expect it for the next 5 weeks at least.

This will be the first time an XBLA game is being released that I currently have from Steam on the PC. Since the graphics are far from PC intensive, I really don't think I'll be spending any points (certainly not more than 400) for a game that works perfectly as a PC time-waster. BUT for those that don't have PvZ yet, it's a no-brainer to get it when it comes out.

Also, in anticipation of its release, you can purchase these overpriced (yet cheaper than anywhere else you can buy them) super-small PvZ figurines at DealExtreme.

They're $7-$8 each, about 2.5" cubed, and the Zombies still have yet to be released.

Interesting...

I thought the idea of the game was fun, and I played maybe 1/3 of the way through on PC, but the game felt so slow. Especially the beginning levels. No way to speed up waves :(

[quote name='Kerig']Also, in anticipation of its release, you can purchase these overpriced (yet cheaper than anywhere else you can buy them) super-small PvZ figurines at DealExtreme.

They're $7-$8 each, about 2.5" cubed, and the Zombies still have yet to be released.[/QUOTE]

Saw those a couple weeks ago. They're pretty great. :)

[quote name='eastx']Yes, but this thread is better because it's run by me. Look at that fancy first post. Do you think art like that creates itself?[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']Why can't this be on the Wii? ;_;

The Wii's mouse-like cursor is a much better fit than an analog stick for picking up sun-cash[/QUOTE]

The Wii just isn't any good at advertising for the games that come out on it. I would be very interested to see real sales figures for Wiiware. If I wanted to get a game out to the masses, as much as I love Nintendo, I would put the game on XBLA. Just a much larger install base of users that frequently download content.

[quote name='Rhett']Interesting...

I thought the idea of the game was fun, and I played maybe 1/3 of the way through on PC, but the game felt so slow. Especially the beginning levels. No way to speed up waves :([/QUOTE]

I felt the same way. I liked the game, but just was a little too slow for me. I actually remember getting up and doing dishes or tidying up during some of the waves. It might actually work better as an xbla where you can put your feet up and relax.

[quote name='eastx']Yes, but this thread is better because it's run by me. Look at that fancy first post. Do you think art like that creates itself?[/QUOTE]
Are you talking about four of the five links in your OP that aren't about the XBLA version?

If you were keeping up with the game, you'd already have this PR in the OP.

It's 1200 points and it's coming in early September.

This is what the XBLA version's offering:
Plants vs. Zombies for XBLA showcases many standout features, including:
  • A total of seven game modes, including two new multiplayer modes: Co-Op and Vs. Mode
  • 12 achievements and 21 mini-games -- more than any other adaptation, and including the exclusive Heavy Weapon™-inspired mini-game
  • A goofy new way to track and share progress online, where players create their own custom house and cruise down the street to see their friends' cribs!
  • The highest resolution of any Plants vs. Zombies adaptation to date at 1920 x 1080
  • All 50 levels of the original Adventure mode along with Puzzle, Survival, and Zen Garden

why is it taking so long to bring this simple game to a console? Would have been a great release right now during the gaming drought.

XBLA conversions are an afterthought for Popcap. At least they've added new content to the XBLA versions of Peggle and now Plants vs Zombies.

Zuma is a fun game, but it gets impossibly hard after a while. Look at my Achievements and note that I played it a lot and just couldn't get any farther. I've been playing the sequel Zuma's Revenge on PC recently, and thankfully it's easier and has way more content.

I already have Zuma and Peggle, so the XBLA download of PvZ will be fine for me.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/03/plants-vs-zombies-shambles-onto-xbox-live-arcade-september-8/

PvZ will be out on September 8 and there's some more info on the co-op and versus modes:

In IGN's brief writeup of the game, the site says one co-op strategy is to have one player use defensive plants while the other uses offensive plants, as they try to hold back the oncoming undead. In Versus mode, the zombie player has to eat his or her way into the plant player's home, while the plant player has to shoot down three zombie targets.

The IGN article also mentions how they're doing the controls:

The left stick quickly whisks your cursor around your yard and the A button plants your defenses. The bumpers cycle through your available seeds at the top of the screen. And holding the triggers will suck sunlight to your cursor, so you don't have to "mouse over" every single one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/06/plant-yourself-in-front-of-this-xbla-plants-vs-zombies-trailer/

New trailer shows off the neighborhood mode and some in-game action. You can see how they're taking advantage of the extra real estate on the screen, which is to show more of the house and edge of the lawn/roof. They also have new screens to show off the co-op, MP, mini-games, and the menus.

Hammer mini-game:
lvl2-5.jpg

Co-op:
co-oppool.jpg

Multiplayer and the disco zombie:
versusmode2.jpg

versusmode1.jpg

Single-player (roof):
pogopartyminigame.jpg

Co-op Walnut Bowling Mini-game:
co-opbowling.jpg

Menus:
versusmenu1.jpg

mainmenu.jpg

Can't wait for this game on both platforms 360 and DS.
Ill be getting them both.

I love disc copy so I may get that even though I already have Peggle and Zuma.

I bought the game this morning and played through a couple levels. I didn't think this game would translate to a controller, but it plays quite well. I especially like how the little cursor you move around sucks in nearby sun drops.

I also like how the shrubs ruffle just before a zombie comes out. I'm not sure if that was in previous versions, but it was a little touch I appreciate for some reason.

[quote name='Hoffer']I bought the game this morning and played through a couple levels. I didn't think this game would translate to a controller, but it plays quite well. I especially like how the little cursor you move around sucks in nearby sun drops.

I also like how the shrubs ruffle just before a zombie comes out. I'm not sure if that was in previous versions, but it was a little touch I appreciate for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Anyone knows if this is available in GameStop to purchase? I'd rather use my store credit then my MSP. There is so much stuff I need to get...

I heard there is some Heavy Weapon inspired mini game. Can anyone comment on it? How fleshed out is it? Waiting to hear some impressions before I buy it for another format.

If it's like the other mini-games, somebody would have to beat the campaign and then play through the mini-games to be able to unlock it.

Yeah, I went through the menues and don't remember seeing any gameplay modes other than the campaign and I think multiplayer.

A lot of the modes don't unlock until part way through the campaign or until it's completed, so you'll find a ton of other stuff to do once you beat the campaign.

The achievements look like they picked the easier things from the Steam list, so you don't need to get far in the endless modes. You should be able to get them all by putting in enough time.

Has anyone played the multiplayer extensively yet?

As I know the single player is good from my experience with the PC version but am skeptical as to how well the multiplayer was executed.

Not a big fan of the controls (yet). I suppose if I play the demo over and over again until I'm down with the translation it might take. The shrug shaking is a nice touch, my guess it's a way to give you a heads up on oncoming zombies since your reaction time w/the xbox controller is a bit slower than the mouse. I'm surprised they don't have more achievements even if they would be broken down further in gamer point value.

I'm sure in Oct (near Halloween) they'll have an XBLA sale, hopefully this will be one of the games because of the zombies. I'll pick it up then perhaps.

love the game, just can't justify the price when I have it on my PC already, and its only 2.99 in the appstore. I know there are extras, but there is no reason for this game to be 15 dollars.

bread's done
Back