Plants vs. Zombies

Koggit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Maybe I just missed it, but I'm super shocked there's no thread about this awesome game.. I've been extremely jaded with games for the past few years, can't remember the last time I loved a game like this. Just played for about 10 hrs straight, only stopping cause I'm hungry. Definitely the best casual game I've ever played, and I'd rank it up there with Portal, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Diablo 2 as one of my favorite PC games ever.

I agree its a fantastic game. I beat the adventure mode, and done most of the mini games plus worked on my Zen Garden. Trying to save up money for my final slot upgrade. Also slowly working on the steam achievements.

I just got the last (10-slot) upgrade.. god that took forever

Almost done with everything.. still haven't seen all the zombies (missing the one above Imp in the almanac) and i HATE wallnut bowling. Playing through Adventure Mode a second time and I'm stuck on the wallnut bowling in stage 1.. haven't even tried Wallnut Bowling 2 in the minigames because I know I'd fail it.

Just beat the adventure mode last night. I showed it to some friends and they were absolutely hooked on it. I got it for only $4 a month back from Big Fish Games (now $7), so I was definitely happy with it. I really like Defense Grid, but I've enjoyed Plants vs Zombies more.

I just lost on the second Roof survival... that was the first time I've lost a round, aside from the minigames. I wasn't expecting so many gargantuans...

This game's so awesome. Got the gold trophy, but there's still a few things left for me to do. Need to see the Yeti zombie, and try some of the endless survival modes.

I hope this gets some multiplayer modes added to it in the future. I'd love to control the zombies instead of the plants.

I prefer Defense Grid: The Awakening. I like being able to change the paths of the enemies, and I prefer the scifi graphics and atmosphere.

Every Plants Vs Zombies level feels the same. I didn't get too far... I got to nighttime stuff, then I got to swimming pool stuff, and somewhere around there I lost my savegame file. It takes so long for each level to get started. Generate sun, put in freeze pea shooters, do whatever you want after that. I don't think I'll bother starting over.

Fun game, I've been playing since release on Steam. It's diminished a bit since then, but I can still waste a good hour with it. I wish there was a better control system, like being able to hotkey plant slots or something, because on the harder levels where you're just clicking rapidly all over the screen it's easy to lose for no good reason. Also I shoot cob canons at themselves by accident a lot.

Oh, and Sideswiper, eventually you get the Garlic, which lets you divert the zombies' paths a bit. It still never really gets to be as deep a game as most TDs, though.

[quote name='Sideswiper']I prefer Defense Grid: The Awakening. I like being able to change the paths of the enemies, and I prefer the scifi graphics and atmosphere.

Every Plants Vs Zombies level feels the same. I didn't get too far... I got to nighttime stuff, then I got to swimming pool stuff, and somewhere around there I lost my savegame file. It takes so long for each level to get started. Generate sun, put in freeze pea shooters, do whatever you want after that. I don't think I'll bother starting over.[/QUOTE]

to me Defense Grid was just a poorly made Warcraft 3 map.. maze enemies and build with a pre-set amount of resources.. I wasn't a fan.

I

Yeah, on every pool level my strategy now is to exploit garlic on each side, build massive sun in the garlic'd rows, make ice shooters in the non-garlic'd rows, and mass Cattails. :D

How do you guys fare on Endless Survival and what's your strat? I've gotten to 21 but can't handle so many gargantuans and zambonies and bungies and diggers.. I need a fume to handle diggers, I need umbrellas to handle bungies.. that part's okay, but it uses up a few valuable spots. The big problem is then in so many zambonies and garganuans.. my spikerock doesn't regenate fast enough so I have to launch my cobs, but they don't reload fast enough.. it seems impossible, I don't understand how it can be done. Also of note, I stopped using Garlic.

I'm gonna play another Endless round and take a screenshot of my setup

okay.. an hour later i'm doin kinda bad so i'm taking this shot now even though my build's not complete yet

pvz.jpg

just got hit by a huuuge wave of zambonies/gargantuans so all my spikerock's gone.. this is exactly the problem i ran into on flag 21 last time (except i had 8 cobs by then) -- my cobs cant keep up and i lose my spikerock, and i can't get the spikerock back in time...

as an update, I actually didn't lose that round and broke my record on that run:

pvz-2.jpg

i found that giving 3 spaces helps a lot because then the fumes at the front can kill gargantuans on their own, and i can use cobs less because there are bigger groups. not sure how far i'll get with this run.. if bungies hit my cobs i'd be in deep trouble. gonna change the pool a little when i get the sun, gonna move the cattails back by one and replace the 2x sunflower 2x melons with 2x cob cannons -- another update: up to flag 48 with this strat and not dying, but restarting the level because it's boring, gonna try no cobs

Last edited by a moderator:
this game is sweet, im gonna play some more right now. the game starts getting hard though and very hectic.

with that being said i just beat the game i didnt realize i was at the very end already. i like the credit song lol now im just tending to the zen garden and doing the mini games and puzzles. fun game well worth the 10 bucks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Koggit']to me Defense Grid was just a poorly made Warcraft 3 map.. maze enemies and build with a pre-set amount of resources.. I wasn't a fan.

I

[quote name='HowStern']I like PvZ better but to be fair to defense grid you start out with a set amount of resources/sun in both games. It's just defense grid you use the scrap parts of the killed enemies as resources and PvZ you are able to use sunflowers etc.

I also like being able to strategically decide how the enemies path will be in DG . But PvZ is loads more fun in general.[/QUOTE]

in PvZ you can get money from enemies that you kill quickly so that's sort of like the scrap parts of killed enemies you're talking about.

Yea I think this game is great and I haven't played it in a while, played it like all the time since launch though.

noo in DG the scrap parts are your "sun"
you use them to build more gun towers in the round not buy new types of guns like the coins in pvz

my internet crapped out last time I tried to respond to this thread :(

i'm too lazy to write what i wrote as detailed as i wrote it

instead I'll just say, re: "to be fair to defense grid you start out with a set amount of resources/sun in both games", I wanted to clarify that the difference I was referring to is variation among players. If me and you both play the same level in DG, we'll end up spending a certain amount of resources on our defense. whatever amount of resources it is, we'll both have that much, and the game designers know it so they balance the map for that amount of resources... by contrast, in PvZ, you and I can play the exact same level but in that level I might end up spending three times as many resources as you, even though we both started with the same amount... the game designers didnt balance the map for any particular worth of player defense, there's more variation in play

bread's done
Back