Plaxico Burress shot..... by Plaxico Burress!

Layziebones

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/11/29/burress.giants.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh and spent the night in the hospital, another dramatic turn in a tumultuous season in which the star New York Giants receiver has been fined and suspended.
The Giants said the shooting happened Friday night and he was released from the hospital early Saturday. The team did not say which hospital Burress went to or how badly he was injured.
However, a team official told The Associated Press that Burress shot himself in a nightclub. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the team was still trying to sort out all the facts.
"Our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital," the Giants said in a statement.
New York City police said they were investigating whether the incident took place at Latin Quarter, a sprawling 15,000-square-foot, two-story restaurant and club located in the Radisson Lexington Hotel in midtown Manhattan. Phone messages and an e-mail left at the nightclub were not immediately returned.
Police added that they have not spoken to Burress or recovered the gun used in the shooting.
Newsday reported Burress has a concealed weapon permit from the state of Florida that expired in May 2008. It is unclear if the permit was renewed; such a license can be renewed up to six months beyond the expiration date in accordance with section 790.06(11)(a) of Florida Statutes.
However, the states of New York and New Jersey do not recognize permits from Florida, so Burress could be charged in the incident.
The NFL also is likely to investigate whether Burress violated its Personal Conduct Policy, which might lead to a suspension.
The Giants, who are 10-1 heading into Sunday's game at Washington, said they have been in contact with the 31-year-old receiver since the shooting and have discussed the matter with NFL security.
"This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that we have no comment on any of the details," the team said.
Repeated phones calls to Burress' home and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, were not immediately returned.
Added NFL spokesman Joe Browne: "We are gathering information, just like everyone else."
Burress injured a hamstring two weeks ago against the Baltimore Ravens. The Giants said Friday he would not play against the Redskins. He was shot less than 12 hours later.
Burress was suspended for a game against Seattle on Oct. 5 and fined $117,500 for missing a team meeting and failing to notify the team of his absence. He said he had a family emergency.
He also was fined $45,000 by the NFL for his conduct during an Oct. 19 game against 49ers in which he abused an official and tossed a ball into the stands.
"Like I said, I am human," Burress said last month in discussing his runs-ins with the team. "I have made some mistakes. I haven't made the best of decisions, I am aware of that, and I am the first one to look myself in the mirror, be honest with myself, and say that."
"But as far as me going out and playing hard, I am going to keep going out and competing," he added. "Like I said, I just keep going out and doing what is asked of me on the football field, and in whatever that role may be I hope I go out and fulfill it."
While the team can find it tough handling Burress, he is clearly a playmaker who poses a threat to opponents.
Burress caught the winning pass in the Giants' Super Bowl victory against the New England Patriots, capping a season in which he caught a career-high 12 touchdowns. He was belatedly rewarded, signing a five-year, $35 million contract hours before the season opened in September.
The signing came after an unsettling offseason during which Burress was fined $25,000 for refusing to practice during a mandatory minicamp in June. He also missed most of training camp at the University at Albany with a sprained ankle. He insisted the injury not his contract kept him off the field.
Despite a lack of practice, Burress started in the opener against Washington and caught 10 passes for 133 yards. The following week, he had five catches for 81 yards and a touchdown in a win over St. Louis.
The rest of the season has not been as productive. The most passes he has caught in any game since is four in a loss to Cleveland on Oct. 13, the game following his suspension.
Burress has 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns in a season in which he has constantly drawn double coverage. His streak of receptions in 115 consecutive games ended last week in Arizona. He aggravated his hamstring injury during the first series and did not return.
It was the sixth-longest active streak in the league, dating to Nov. 26, 2000, against Cincinnati, Burress' rookie season in Pittsburgh.
Signed as a free agent in 2005, Burress had caught a pass in all 56 previous games in which he had played for the Giants.

The funniest part is that it was at a nightclub, really

People accidentally shoot themselves all the time but I've never heard of it happening out in a club

Saw this on the news. They mainly let viewers know he was not hurt...and made no mention of why the hoodrat motherfucker had a gun in a nightclub to begin with.

He says it was an accident but acquaintances say there is no love lost between Burress and his thigh. Witnesses at the scene say that Burress and the thigh had consumed a good deal of alcohol and were arguing loudly before the gunshot.

I swear to God, spend a few hours on a Saturday at a gun safety class and you won't have "negligent shootings." On the flip side, he could pay the salary of a part-time body guard to walk around with a gun for him on club nights with the money he was fined if he did what he was supposed to.

I read on Yahoo that New York has a mandatory minimum three year sentence for felony carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.

Plaxico got a HUGE contract before the year started and has tried to find everyway possible to fuck it up.

[quote name='Koggit']The funniest part is that it was at a nightclub, really

People accidentally shoot themselves all the time but I've never heard of it happening out in a club[/QUOTE]

Really? The first thing I asked when my friend told me about this was, "Was he at a nightclub?"

[quote name='Rocko']Do you know what an oxymoron is?[/quote]
Well the idiot can't even spell lazy right so no he does not

[quote name='Rocko']Do you know what an oxymoron is?[/quote]

2008132227.jpg

I kid. Billy Mays is like the Al Bjorland of household products.

Someday there will be a clause in the contract of every professional athlete that bars them from going to "da club."

[quote name='prence']Someday there will be a clause in the contract of every professional athlete that bars them from going to "da club."[/quote]

That's just it though. There is nothing wrong with going ot the club, but have a low profile when you do it. Don't go wearing all your jewelry, don't drive your most tricked out car, drive something plain, drink like you have some damn sense (actually don't drink at all), have a permit for your gun, and if you go to a strip club don't make it rain like Pac-Man Jones used to do. All that does it let everyone know you have so much money you don't care about it and it makes you a target.

Actually, ESPN the magazine had a good article on player safety this month. If anyone has a chance to read it, I recommend it.

[quote name='javeryh']My Tony Romo for Plaxico trade has been a disaster. I made the trade after Romo broke his finger. *sigh*[/quote]

Even if Romo was injured, that was just a horrible trade. Plaxico hasn't even had that great of a season compared to what he normally does. Plus, who trades a Quarterback for a WR.

I kept Romo and he just popped out a 30 FT game on Thursday!! :D

[quote name='geren']Well the idiot can't even spell lazy right so no he does not[/quote]

That's because it isn't supposed to be Lazy... :cry:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
2008132227.jpg

I kid. Billy Mays is like the Al Bjorland of household products.[/quote]

fuck Billy Mays. ShamWow guy > Billy Mays.

[quote name='Layziebones']Even if Romo was injured, that was just a horrible trade. Plaxico hasn't even had that great of a season compared to what he normally does. Plus, who trades a Quarterback for a WR.

I kept Romo and he just popped out a 30 FT game on Thursday!! :D[/quote]

I had Cutler as a backup and no WRs - Lance Moore and Chris Chambers (Boldin was out with a facial) so I figured I could make the trade and be OK... which I was but now my team is tanking. I needed one win in the last 4 games to get in the playoffs and now I'm down to a win and I'm in/lose and I'm out scenario for this week. My league is crazy - the best team has a 7-6 record right now and the worst team has a 6-7 record. I was 6-4 and now I'm 6-7.

[quote name='javeryh']I had Cutler as a backup and no WRs - Lance Moore and Chris Chambers (Boldin was out with a facial) so I figured I could make the trade and be OK... which I was but now my team is tanking. I needed one win in the last 4 games to get in the playoffs and now I'm down to a win and I'm in/lose and I'm out scenario for this week. My league is crazy - the best team has a 7-6 record right now and the worst team has a 6-7 record. I was 6-4 and now I'm 6-7.[/quote]

so you're the worst?:lol:

[quote name='Fire']so you're the worst?:lol:[/quote]

yeah, there are a couple of us with 6-7 records... :D I have the second most points in the league though so that's why a win gets me in the playoffs. It's annoying too because there is a 7-6 team that I have outscored by 400 points on the season (everyone in the league has at least 200 points on him) - all of his wins have been when the rest of us have off weeks and he wins like 70-65 or something retarded. His team blows.

[quote name='shieryda']Makes me proud to call myself a Spartan.:D[/QUOTE]

Suprised he wasn't hanging with Charles Rogers! :D

I can't wait to find out what exact circumstances led to hit accidentally shooting himself. Did he have his gun in his pocket and while digging for some change, accidentally pull the trigger?

[quote name='deszaras']I can't wait to find out what exact circumstances led to hit accidentally shooting himself. Did he have his gun in his pocket and while digging for some change, accidentally pull the trigger?[/quote]

Basically. They are saying that the gun was inside his pant leg and started to slip to the ground as they were sitting there drinking wine. He went to grab it so it wouldn't hit the floor and it went off.

[quote name='javeryh']Basically. They are saying that the gun was inside his pant leg and started to slip to the ground as they were sitting there drinking wine. He went to grab it so it wouldn't hit the floor and it went off.[/quote]

That's almost as funny as my proposed theory. Shouldn't he have a holster or something or to secure it?

I remember when sports pundits were talking about Vick's arrest. And they mostly focused on his loyalty to the team, and seemed to find that more important than the fact that he killed living beings for fun.
So did they talk about Plaxico's loyalty this time on the tv?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']O RLY?

pg2_a_jsimpson_412.0.0.0x0.412x232.jpeg

Sorry.[/quote]

He has put up 59 pts combined the last two weeks. Almost more than Plax put up all year. Plus, shes hot.

[quote name='Layziebones']He has put up 59 pts combined the last two weeks. Almost more than Plax put up all year. Plus, shes hot.[/QUOTE]

I was just making that old-ass joke that she ruined the Cowboys' season last year. Nothing to see here.

I hope this is true!

On Wednesday, Giants general manager Jerry Reese, who helped engineer last season's Super Bowl run, said that if Burress survived a blizzard of legal issues, he could be a Giant in 2009. "Provided he plays by Giants rules," Reese said. Without going into detail, Reese said the Giants' front office was on the same page about Burress's possible future with the Giants -- namely that he had one -- provided he was not in jail and provided he had a 180-degree attitude adjustment. These are huge ifs. The fact that the Giants are considering taking Burress back is either a sign of tremendous loyalty or of a reluctance to publicly kick a man when he is down.

[quote name='javeryh']I hope this is true![/quote]

If he is guilty, which he is, it is a mandatory minimum of 3 1/2 years. He can't get off with community service or probation.

bread's done
Back