Play Xvid on 360?

richdmoore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Is there any way to play Xvid on my new xbox 360? I tried a program called transcode 360, but it wouldn't work because my pc has xp home rather than media edition.

Sorry if it has been answered before, I purchased the xbox 360 today (the free copy of Bioshock was too good of a deal to wait any longer.)

the 360 wont play an xvid right now without the help of other programs.....you need to convert the file or get vista/xp media center

Thanks for the tip, I couldn't get it to work, I only have a P4 2.53 (non HT), looks like the computer is a little bit underpowered. I was hoping to watch some F1 and Red Bull Air Race xvid videos on there, but I'll just have to watch them on the computer. Thanks anyway.

[quote name='richdmoore']Thanks for the tip, I couldn't get it to work, I only have a P4 2.53 (non HT), looks like the computer is a little bit underpowered. I was hoping to watch some F1 and Red Bull Air Race xvid videos on there, but I'll just have to watch them on the computer. Thanks anyway.[/QUOTE]
Why don't you just convert them first?

http://wiki.videolan.org/Play_on_Xbox

[quote name='Damian']Why don't you just convert them first?

http://wiki.videolan.org/Play_on_Xbox[/quote]

Not worth the effort because they are kind of disposable, after I watch the sporting event like f1 I really don't need to see it again. I wouldn't download them if I could just watch them on tv, but they are not available on my cable.

Like someone suggested, try out tversity. It will resample and stream many formats to your Xbox. There was a guide on how to do it easily on digg a few months ago, if you search there.

EDIT: NM, I should read all the posts...

tversity does work to convert on the fly, xvids to your xbox. i use it all the time, but when doing so i pretty much cant use my computer.

[quote name='62t']meh if you got a modded xbox it can play just about anything I can throw at it avi, mkv, etc[/quote]

HD-quality won't play on the old xbox without being unwatchably choppy.

[quote name='triforcer']tversity does work to convert on the fly, xvids to your xbox. i use it all the time, but when doing so i pretty much cant use my computer.[/quote]

I tried out Tversity, but my computer is woefully underpowered to use it. It's practically unwatchable if I'm transcoding. I know it doesn't help the OP, but that's why I use Transcode360. Transcode360 does faster than realtime transcoding, and even my 2.0 Ghz Pentium M laptop is perfectly usable when I'm watching a movie.

[quote name='richdmoore']Not worth the effort because they are kind of disposable, after I watch the sporting event like f1 I really don't need to see it again. I wouldn't download them if I could just watch them on tv, but they are not available on my cable.[/QUOTE]
Not worth the effort? I have a batch file I drop videos on and they come out 360 compatible. If that's too much effort for you the next step down is someone coming to your house and doing it for you.

You can play Xvid on GCN, Saturn, PSX, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, X-BOX, 360, Sega CD, and even DC.

What I do is just wire the computer directly to the TV screen.

With the various video settings before editing some machines will have trouble
displaying the file.

[quote name='gamegal']You can play Xvid on GCN, Saturn, PSX, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, X-BOX, 360, Sega CD, and even DC.

displaying the file.[/quote]

Not funny.

Ignored and GTFO.

You can try a different program to transcode, I could never get tversity to transcode but have in the past used transcode 360 succesfully

[quote name='gamegal']You can play Xvid on GCN, Saturn, PSX, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, X-BOX, 360, Sega CD, and even DC.
displaying the file.[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what that means. You're certainly not playing video on an original GameBoy. And if you "wire the computer directly to the TV screen" what does the console even have to do with it?

[quote name='Damian']I have no idea what that means. You're certainly not playing video on an original GameBoy[/quote]

Yes you can run pre-recorded video on a regular gameboy. I forget the device but it also allows you to tune into television channels.

And if you "wire the computer directly to the TV screen" what does the console even have to do with it?

Imagine being able to access your computer from any tv in the house. Now imagine playing any video from your computer wirelessly.

I am saying doing the Xvid, Wmv thing to the 360 is a lost cause.

[quote name='gamegal']Yes you can run pre-recorded video on a regular gameboy. I forget the device but it also allows you to tune into television channels.[/QUOTE]
There was a TV tuner for the GBA. Not the original Gameboy. It had a muddy 160x144 pixel screen with 4 possible shades of green.
Imagine being able to access your computer from any tv in the house. Now imagine playing any video from your computer wirelessly.
Why would I have to "imagine" it? There are plenty of Linux distros and Windows MCE designed for just that purpose. Many people don't want to either don't want to switch to Linux or buy MCE and/or set up dedicated hardware. Especially when they have a solution in place already.
I am saying doing the Xvid, Wmv thing to the 360 is a lost cause.
Considering I already explained it's as a easy as dropping a file on a shortcut I'm going to have to assume you're just trolling at this point.

[quote name='Damian']There was a TV tuner for the GBA. Not the original Gameboy. It had a muddy 160x144 pixel screen with 4 possible shades of green.

Why would I have to "imagine" it? There are plenty of Linux distros and Windows MCE designed for just that purpose. Many people don't want to either don't want to switch to Linux or buy MCE and/or set up dedicated hardware. Especially when they have a solution in place already.

Considering I already explained it's as a easy as dropping a file on a shortcut I'm going to have to assume you're just trolling at this point.[/quote]

Omg Geeksquad meets Fire dog

bread's done
Back