Playing DVDs digitally/thru a USB harddrive?

Frankski

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Hey all

I was wondering if the PS3 could handle something like [title]? Could I buy a huge (like 500-1000 gig external HD) and move my dvd collection en mass to a digital format and play them thru the PS3?

When I see stuff like old South Park eps on the PStore, it makes me want to see them. But I actually own all the old dvds. Then I'd need to go to my media box (have to put those dvds somewhere where the 1-year-old can't get to them), find the dvd, put it in, and watch the 1 ep I wanted to. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance, fellow CAGs

-Frank(ski)

As do I. Handles it no problem. As stated, just be wary of the formats. PS3 handles a ton of formats though, so you should be good.

My upscaling dvd player has a usb port and allows this as well. It's the black phillips one that plays nearly every format(not bad for 50 bucks from bb two years ago).

Hi first post here. :)

This post caught my attention and I wanted to mention something that's quite important. The PS3 will only read certain filesystems as will the Xbox 360. I'm not sure what other filesystems besides FAT32 can be read on either machine. I've heard of people getting other filesystems to work but I have no idea how or what filesytem they used. Not even sure if that's true as I had to format my 2 external HDs as FAT32 and re-add all my data on each one. Another thing to keep in mind is that FAT32 has a 4GB filesize limit so those 14GB high def movies will need to be split into smaller 4GB pieces. I had a difficult time getting my PS3 to recognize my drives since there's no tools built into Windows Vista to format a large drive as FAT32. I had to hunt for a special tool to do it. I hope I have been informative. :D

[quote name='ThePicklator']Hi first post here. :)

This post caught my attention and I wanted to mention something that's quite important. The PS3 will only read certain filesystems as will the Xbox 360. I'm not sure what other filesystems besides FAT32 can be read on either machine. I've heard of people getting other filesystems to work but I have no idea how or what filesytem they used. Not even sure if that's true as I had to format my 2 external HDs as FAT32 and re-add all my data on each one. Another thing to keep in mind is that FAT32 has a 4GB filesize limit so those 14GB high def movies will need to be split into smaller 4GB pieces. I had a difficult time getting my PS3 to recognize my drives since there's no tools built into Windows Vista to format a large drive as FAT32. I had to hunt for a special tool to do it. I hope I have been informative. :D[/QUOTE]

they may have done it but installing linux on their ps3s. ill try doing it once i get a bigger hd and after i learn more about linux.

I've done this, and it works great. You'll have to get the DVD ripped onto your computer (I won't post how, but google for tons of DVD ripping programs that are FABulously FREE) and a program like Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) to encode them. In the case of Handbrake, there's a PS3 preset, so it'll take care of getting it into the correct format and everything for you.

[quote name='Frankski']Hey all

I was wondering if the PS3 could handle something like [title]? Could I buy a huge (like 500-1000 gig external HD) and move my dvd collection en mass to a digital format and play them thru the PS3?

When I see stuff like old South Park eps on the PStore, it makes me want to see them. But I actually own all the old dvds. Then I'd need to go to my media box (have to put those dvds somewhere where the 1-year-old can't get to them), find the dvd, put it in, and watch the 1 ep I wanted to. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance, fellow CAGs

-Frank(ski)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not.

WOW -- nice. I need to look into all of this whenever the damn kiddies let me stop teaching them Geometry so I can have some 'me' time ^^

id love to do something like this as well. but i would never want to take the time to rip all my movies. let alone the tv series.

If you know what you are doing, it is possible to rip AVI files that contain the Dolby 5.1 mix that can be played on your PS3. For most TV shows this would be overkill. But for DVD films it is a great feature. You can rip your movies, put them on your PS3, and still enjoy the benefits of a booming surround-sound mix.

I used to use mostly Doom9 tools for my ripping(like old reliable DVD Fab). How does Winx compare? I'm going to check it out since its free till September 30th. Thanks!

bread's done
Back