Playing Rock Band Online....CAG RB NIGHT?

buddah8640

CAGiversary!
I was just wondering if any of you other Rock Band players out there have played online at all. I have not ventured into that portion of the game as of yet because I have no fucking idea how it works. Has anyone else tried this? If you have, is it cool or lame? If it is cool, are any of you interested in playing online? Just a thought....:D

It's cool, but you can't talk to people you play against. So sometimes if you pick a song they don't like, they'll just leave. Also, you will run into a LOT of people that hog guitar if you're a guitar player, so people will fight over guitar and you'll be kicked to bass a lot. You will also have a hard time finding a vocalist, and when you do, a lot of them aren't very good (you won't hear them sing, but they'll fail a lot). I play with my friend sometimes, she drums and I sing and play guitar, it can be fun.

I typically play online with a friend of mine, mostly because of the issues brought up in the previous post (too many guitar players, lack of vocalists, and it's hard to find people with DLC, or who would want to play mostly metal tracks). He tends to play guitar and I'll play anything besides vocals.

If I go online and play with random people, I'll do Tug Of War if I want to play guitar, other than that, I'll jump in Quickplay and I'll go through a few songs with a band online as a drummer.

[quote name='espy605']It's cool, but you can't talk to people you play against. So sometimes if you pick a song they don't like, they'll just leave. Also, you will run into a LOT of people that hog guitar if you're a guitar player, so people will fight over guitar and you'll be kicked to bass a lot. You will also have a hard time finding a vocalist, and when you do, a lot of them aren't very good (you won't hear them sing, but they'll fail a lot). I play with my friend sometimes, she drums and I sing and play guitar, it can be fun.[/quote]

It sux that you can't communicate with the people that you are playing with, that would probably make it a lot more fun.

[quote name='Duckbutt']I typically play online with a friend of mine, mostly because of the issues brought up in the previous post (too many guitar players, lack of vocalists, and it's hard to find people with DLC, or who would want to play mostly metal tracks). He tends to play guitar and I'll play anything besides vocals.

If I go online and play with random people, I'll do Tug Of War if I want to play guitar, other than that, I'll jump in Quickplay and I'll go through a few songs with a band online as a drummer.[/quote]
So when you are palying online do you have to have 4 players? Also, does everyone have to have the same DLC to be able to play the songs that we have payed for? Does everyone need to paly on the same difficulty level?

Thanks for the help guys!

Nah, you don't need all 4 people to play. Usually you won't have trouble finding guitarists and drummers. Unfortunately, everyone needs a DLC song in order to play it. And no, everyone gets to pick their own difficulty.

I think the biggest issue is DLC. There's TONS of people with nothing for DLC. I get lucky sometimes and come across people with a song or two in common. Another thing that kinda pisses me off is playing with people who do two or three songs, then quit. Overall it's not bad though. It's cool to see everyone's characters and see how you fare against others.

Does anyone have any interest in having a Rock Band night here in the CAG community? That way we would at least have a way to communicate, and maybe get with a group of people who have some DLC. I know that it would be cool for Gamesharing Group 3, since we will all have a lot of the same DLC. Anyone else interested, I get kind of board playing the songs by myself all the time. My wife sings once in a while, but she doesn't reallly get into it that much. Also, can you play online with two people on one PS3? Just curious...

[quote name='buddah8640']Does anyone have any interest in having a Rock Band night here in the CAG community? That way we would at least have a way to communicate, and maybe get with a group of people who have some DLC. I know that it would be cool for Gamesharing Group 3, since we will all have a lot of the same DLC. Anyone else interested, I get kind of board playing the songs by myself all the time. My wife sings once in a while, but she doesn't reallly get into it that much. Also, can you play online with two people on one PS3? Just curious...[/quote]

I would but I have no DLC and am too cheap to buy any.

Can't hear the vocalist on the other players' ends?!?!? Damn. That's the best position!

I would be up for a night every now and then, provided I can fit it with my schedule.

Edit: also forgot to mention, I only have drums or microphone

I could sing if anyone needs a singer if you guys plan on going online someday, but I need to memorize some of the songs, since I'm not too big on Rock music...

[quote name='buddah8640']Does anyone have any interest in having a Rock Band night here in the CAG community? That way we would at least have a way to communicate, and maybe get with a group of people who have some DLC. I know that it would be cool for Gamesharing Group 3, since we will all have a lot of the same DLC. Anyone else interested, I get kind of board playing the songs by myself all the time. My wife sings once in a while, but she doesn't reallly get into it that much. Also, can you play online with two people on one PS3? Just curious...[/quote]

I would but I have no DLC and am too cheap to buy any.

Can't hear the vocalist on the other players' ends?!?!? Damn. That's the best position!

I would be up for a night every now and then, provided I can fit it with my schedule.

Edit: also forgot to mention, I only have drums or microphone

I could sing if anyone needs a singer if you guys plan on going online someday, but I need to memorize some of the songs, since I'm not too big on Rock music...

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Can't hear the vocalist on the other players' ends?!?!? Damn. That's the best position![/quote]

I was told the vocalist has to manually set it that you hear his/her vocals instead of the vocal track. I haven't tried this myself online, so I don't know if it's true, but offline I know you can take off the vocal track.

I wouldn't mind playing. I do everything, singing not so well, but I can if necessary.

I have a lot of the DLC, not all of it but most.

[quote name='gorgonzola238']I wouldn't mind playing. I do everything, singing not so well, but I can if necessary.

I have a lot of the DLC, not all of it but most.[/quote]

[quote name='Duckbutt']I was told the vocalist has to manually set it that you hear his/her vocals instead of the vocal track. I haven't tried this myself online, so I don't know if it's true, but offline I know you can take off the vocal track.[/quote]

That wold be cool if you can here the actual vocalist...I think it is crap that there is know way to communicate with eachother.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']I could sing if anyone needs a singer if you guys plan on going online someday, but I need to memorize some of the songs, since I'm not too big on Rock music...[/quote]

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Can't hear the vocalist on the other players' ends?!?!? Damn. That's the best position!

Edit: also forgot to mention, I only have drums or microphone[/quote]

What happened to your Guitar??

It looks like there are a few people who are interested in getting together for some rocking good times. If you are interested in playing on set CAG nights post the instrument that you prefer,when you are available to play, your PSN id, and amount of DLC. I am thinking of maybe 2 nights a month, maybe more if the demand is there. I would think maybe on Sunday afternoons EST or something I am really busy right now with school and work, but I will try to organize this and post groups and nights in th OP.

PSN ID:buddah8640
Instrument: Guitar or Drums, singing maybe
Day: Late evenings and weekends.
DLC: ALOT, gamesharing rocks!!!!

[quote name='buddah8640']

What happened to your Guitar??
[/quote]

I bought my set off of ebay back in december without a guitar. Only cost me ~$60 shipped :D But, I'll prob get one as soon as blockbuster/gamerush starts to carry them.

PSN ID: x3x1x
Instrument: Drums, vocals
Day: Any except COD4/Warhawk nights
DLC: see -> gamesharing

[quote name='bornrunnin31']I bought my set off of ebay back in december without a guitar. Only cost me ~$60 shipped :D But, I'll prob get one as soon as blockbuster/gamerush starts to carry them.

PSN ID: x3x1x
Instrument: Drums, vocals
Day: Any except COD4/Warhawk nights
DLC: see -> gamesharing[/quote]

That is a sweet deal for the game, mic, and drums. BRAVO!!!!

The few times I've played, we figured out quickly that you can lower/disable the player's voice so that you only hear the original track. It seemed that my S.O. would rather listen to Bon Jovi sing "Dead Or Alive" than listen to my awesome version :whistle2:# I mean, the guy's from Jersey, what could he possibly have on me?

Anyway, depending on when we play, I'd be in. Here are my deets:

PSN ID: cthulhu8u
Instrument: Anything, even singing!
Day: some late evenings and weekends

I'm down for some RB online.

I'm strictly a drummer on the game for now, I can handle most songs on hard (except Run To The Hills and Don't Fear The Reaper, I cleared em' once and left it at that), and I can get through half of the songs on Expert.

The only thing that really holds me back is my inability to do the drumroll :/
Over time I guess I'll get the hang of it, but until then, I for the most part play on Hard.

I have a bunch of the DLC, PSN ID is to the left, and I'm usually up for it just on the weekends.

Looks like we have a few people who are interested in some online RB. I will work on updating the OP this weekend and figuring out a good time to get together. I am really busy right now with work and school so I am thinking on a weekend would be the best for most everyone. I will let you all know.

[quote name='buddah8640']Looks like we have a few people who are interested in some online RB. I will work on updating the OP this weekend and figuring out a good time to get together. I am really busy right now with work and school so I am thinking on a weekend would be the best for most everyone. I will let you all know.[/quote]
See if you can collaborate with Mana Knight on this and make it an "official" RB night or somethin' on the weekends

[quote name='Inf^Shini']See if you can collaborate with Mana Knight on this and make it an "official" RB night or somethin' on the weekends[/quote]

I'll shoot him a PM and see what he thinks. I don't think he has Rock Band though.

I only read a couple of posts, but i'm down. I just need to buy it first heh. I'll be getting it within the next week or two. I have a friend already waiting on me as well.

Seems like there's quite an interest. Thing is that only 4 can participate together. Guess we'll have to figure out some sort of system or whatever to see who's playing with who. My suggestion would be to have everyone on whatever night log into CAG Chat that way we can pick songs, band mates, etc.

[quote name='DefinedByClass13']I only read a couple of posts, but i'm down. I just need to buy it first heh. I'll be getting it within the next week or two. I have a friend already waiting on me as well.[/quote]

Nevermind, I got it today. Paid 90 for the bundle after flipping some games over at BB in junction with the GS 25% off on ps3 used games.

PsnId: BlackRose138
Instrument: I'm down for any.
Availability: Differs, nights mainly.
DLC: None as of yet

[quote name='Poor2More']CHEAPASSgamer and Rockband do not go hand an hand togother :)[/quote]

Depends on your perspective...

Here in Canada GH3 is ~$110, while RB is ~$170
You get:
GH3-1 guitar vs. RB-1 guitar, mike, drums

Song list- both are good, some even overlap. I think GH3 might have a few more once you have the extra guitar for MP (extra guitar required, more $$ to spend for it if playing on same console)

DLC is a bit cheaper on RB (but a waaaay better selection than GH3)

so really, RB 4 teh CAG win!
:mrgreen:

Hey guys,

I recently switched to the ps3 version of Rock Band and while for the most part it's similar to the 360 version, I've never been able to play online. Maybe it's because I'm trying to play as a drummer.

Anyways, I have most of the dlc and usually play drums (med/hard) but will play guitar or bass(medium for both lol) if needed.

I'm down to jam with anyone. So feel free to send me a friend request and if you see me online at all I'm always down to play Rock Band.

Sorry I kind of got this going and went MIA for a little while. I have been really busy with work, school and wife and have not had much time to play PS3 or cruise the CAG forums. Last Thursday I decided that I needed to get away for a little while so wife and I spent the weekend in Chicago. It seems that there are a bunch of people who want to play together so I am suggesting that maybe we can just use this thread to set up times to meet, or does everyone want a set time that is CAG Rock Band night even though only four people per group??(input please) I am not exactly sure how to proceed here so any suggestions would be appreciated. bornrunnin I know you said something about CAG chat, but I dont even know what that is??

Top of the page. Menu -> Cheap Ass Chat

It's the service they put up whenever the forums are down. You just click to log in and you're there with your CAG name in real time chat.

And I've never tried going online myself with RB, but do you need to be on someone's friends list and invite them through that?

Has there ever been a CAG Rock Band Night going? I just wanted to check since I may try to get it on the schedule. I have no idea how Rock Band works online, since I don't have it. I may eventually get it though (but looking unlikely right now. :whistle2:( ).

If CAG nights could work out, I'll try to assist Buddah getting the word out.

I've been trying to get my hands on this game so I can play with you guys.. I'm saving up money... getting there.

Well I was bored so decided to bump the thread in case there was interest. But, honestly I've never used the online either, I think you send invites directly to friends in-game. We may have to do a test run to see if it could work for a CAG night.

I think that sounds like a good idea. There are a decent number of CAG members who own Rock Band, and I think many would love to play this online. If only I could save up enough money right now, I'd buy it.

I've played online somewhat and there is an option to invite a friend to join the "band", otherwise you get paired with random players online.

Game play wise, it's as smooth as butter, although selecting a song gets choppy once in a while, but that's about it.

Technically, you can't really make a RB night out of it since only 4 can join up at a time (if someone actually uses the mic :p), but basically a bunch of CAGs can just join up with each other, maybe switch around or w/e.

There is also another friend invite option in the main menu, but I forgot what that's for, gotta check that out later.

Look at what TMK came home with today.

RockBand.jpg

:D

I got it at Meijer for $120 today. They price matched CC at $150. They had 20% off of General Merchandise, so I got this deal. :D

Since I have it, I may try to get some Rock Band going.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']Look at what ManaKnight came home with today.

RockBand.jpg

:D

I got it at Meijer for $120 today. They price matched CC at $150. They had 20% off of General Merchandise, so I got this deal. :D

Since I have it, I may try to get some Rock Band going.[/quote]

That is a pretty sweet deal that you got on this, true Cheap Ass Gamer style. Congrats grasshopper. What do you think of the game so far? I definitely recommend trying to get into a sharing group to cut the cost of the DLC. That adds up quickly.

This game was the final step in pushing me to pick up an electric guitar and amp.

Now all that's left is to pick up a good drum set.

I'd definitely be interested in this, but do you guy's care what level people play at? I can't see why it would really matter to anyone - you can't do Band World Tour online, so your score doesn't really matter, does it? I drum on easy/medium, guitar on medium/hard, and sing on medium (or easy, until I shake this damn bronchitis). I haven't played bass much, but I imagine I'd do hard to expert on that. I'm happy playing any instrument, but generally prefer guitar.

Maybe it would be good to match people up based on their song preferences? I like the rock/classic rock stuff, and tend to avoid metal... or whatever you call stuff like Faith No More, the Beastie Boys, etc. - especially on vocals. I have a lot of the DLC.

Even if there is no CAG night, feel free to add me on PSN so we could play sometime. I only have one person on my PS3 friend's list!

[quote name='PleasantOne']
Even if there is no CAG night, feel free to add me on PSN so we could play sometime. I only have one person on my PS3 friend's list![/QUOTE]I'm surprised you don't have more, since you are one of the nicer CAG members. ;)

Anyway, since I have Rock Band now (will open tomorrow or Friday), I'm thinking of maybe doing Rock Band groups. Basically a group of 4 people who can meet up around the same day/time and play together, if anything.

I might not make it a main CAG night, but I will look into seeing if there is a way yo come up with groups, and then have a group agree to play on a certain day/time together. We could mix groups up at times.

Yea, with the small number who can participate at one time, you cant really make an event of it.
My idea listed earlier was to just have everyone show up in the chat room here on a night, and then break off into bands depending on who was in the mood to play what.

Nopes, people dont definitely dont play on the same skill level.I know I dont! I can only play Vocals on Easy, Drums on Easy, and Guitar/Bass on Medium.If you're going to make this official, I'll definitely get on this.

I've been playing the game today and love it. Still need to learn how to play the drums (kind of suck with them now), but I'm good with everything else.

bread's done
Back