Playing With Power: Nintendo NES Classics Book $27 preorder @ Amazon free shipping

I'd rather buy Pat The NES Punks new book that covers just about every NA NES game released.

NINTENDO-ultimate-guide_alternateweb-798x1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So what is this, like a strategy guide for 17 classic NES games?  Guess it would pair well with that new mini NES console.

Of course, I could just dig up my old Nintendo Powers for similar info.

Meh, preordered. I can see this selling out and me being pissed off I didn't grab one. I got a while to decide on it. And hell, it's close enough to xmas I can probably just pass it off on a family member for me lol. 

For comparison sake, the Amazon listing says this is 320 pages. That's about 18 pages each per game, assuming they all have equal coverage. Either way, that's a lot of pages and I hope it means they get really in depth.

Do I have to blow on it every time I want to read it?

It's more like a direct line of credit to your childhood.
I don't think the person you quoted was making a comment on the value of the product, but rather pointing out that Nintendo Nintendo Entertainment System is as redundant as Automated Teller Machine machine.

I remember buying the lame cleaning kit that was supposed to solve the blowing on the cartridge thing. It didn't work that well, but at least it had the Nintendo Seal on it!

Idk why it was so hard for people to fix nes games. All it takes is a little rubbing alcohol on a q tip to clean the contacts. But did I know this? Did anyone I know know this? Nope. When I started collecting I remember looking it up and resurrecting games I thought for damn sure never worked. Some of them got filthy. But it's so simple, idk why none of us knew. But to be fair I was like 5 or 6 years old when the ps1 came out. So maybe my friends were just too young to know.

ZfDC0xc.jpg

I have one of these and always thought it was so cool. Definitely one of my favorite items I own and not that rare. I wish I had it back when, but if these books are anything like this one (1 or 2 pages per game) I'm cool with it. The op one seems like a full guide for a few games which is also cool.

Idk why it was so hard for people to fix nes games. All it takes is a little rubbing alcohol on a q tip to clean the contacts. But did I know this? Did anyone I know know this? Nope. When I started collecting I remember looking it up and resurrecting games I thought for damn sure never worked. Some of them got filthy. But it's so simple, idk why none of us knew. But to be fair I was like 5 or 6 years old when the ps1 came out. So maybe my friends were just too young to know.
Another amazing cleaner for really dirty contacts is brass cleaner like Brasso. It takes any grime, dirt, or even corrosion right off. It's best to take the whole cart apart when using it but it works amazingly, polishes it right back to almost brand new.

As cool as this book is, there are plenty of other books i'd read before this one, and -- well -- I'd rather spend that money on an actual video game than drop it on a giant video game book about 8-bit NES games ... I get the novelty value (shaping the book like an NES cartridge i both hackneyed and genius).

Nintendo really is going all out now on moving to capitalize/monetize us 30-somethings, aren't they?

For cleaning the contacts on NES games I use a product called metal glo. All you need is a qtip & put a dab of metal glo on one end and slide it across the connectors of your game cart on each side then use the dry side of the swab to finish polishing and the qtip comes out black. Then I use rubbing alcohol on a qtip the same manner getting off any excess that might still be present. This can be done without take the cart apart but if you want to do a more thorough job you can take the cart apart and using a cloth is easier if you take cart apart. Here's a link to the stuff & amazon has a 2 pack for 9.99 which would last you the rest of your life. Polishes any metal so good for other stuff as well & it's not harsh on the contacts either. If you can afford to spend a bit more I used simichrome for a long time which actually might work a little better but I got to where I could not find it locally & the metal glo my dad sells in his knife shop so I now use it. Either works it just seems the simichrome is a bit better. Link to it below the metal glo.

https://www.amazon.com/United-Cutlery-UC2723-Metal-Polishing/dp/B000F6UC98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469892610&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+glo#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-390050-Metal-Polish-Tube/dp/B0002YUQ4E/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41xptlRlzcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR135%2C135_&psc=1&refRID=9PF1FBZ8SGEYDWFAEG99

bread's done
Back