Playseats on sale at Amazon - Still not for SUPER cheapasses

merkman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?plgroup=1&ie=UTF8&docId=1000190591

As you'll see when you go to the link above, Amazon is taking $50 off several Playseats Racing setups. I personally feel the Evolution line is the way to go, and wasn't picky about color. So I purchased the white unit that is normally $249.99.

So how does this work? As you'll see at the link above, I believe PLAYSEATS is the promo code you need to enter. At which point the pricing is as follows:

$249.99
- $50.00 instant rebate
$199.99
+$35.00 regular shipping
- $35.00 free shipping
$199.99
+ 17.60 tax (that not all of you will have to pay)
$217.59 final total with state tax included

Considering the positive reviews of these units, the high quality construction, and the IKEA laptop table I bought to use instead hasn't lasted more than a couple weeks after the abuse it takes as a wheel stand... I think this is a great buy. But to each there own, and have a great day!

PLAYSEAT
will work

PLAYSEAT(S) will not

thanks for the link, that white one is uber, but the new GT5 wheel isn't out yet :(

now you only need 3 lcd's a and 2 more xbox360's (if you already have one) to have the ultimate 360 racing set up. lol.

[quote name='Serpentor']i believe the deal was sweeter back in December 2007? It was like $150 or something?[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the thought, but that's where you have to be careful. The deal back then was for the older seats... aka non-Evolution. As a result, they don't have a place for pedels, and I don't think they support the clutch addon if you get a Logitech G25.

I still don't have the G25, though I've been VERY interested for a long time. In the meantime, I have the MS Wireless Wheel (never DID get it "repaired" for free), 2 Logitech Driving Force Pros (should be fine, though I'm gonna go read about the newer wheel right now), and a Dreamcast Mad Catz wheel among my accessories. Should be SWEET! :)

Serpentor was right it was the playseat evo for $150. I don't remember exact details but I think you could buy a select game and you got amazon.com credit too. Definitely was the evo since I bookmarked it and have been checking back ever so often. This is the best deal since then though.

Man, are there any other similar seats out there? I'm very tempted, but I don't like the evo design (that center bar prevents me from freely using my right leg for both braking and accelerating), and the classic one looks like it has somewhat stability problems according to reviews...it's still tempting though.

[quote name='rokkon']Man, are there any other similar seats out there? I'm very tempted, but I don't like the evo design (that center bar prevents me from freely using my right leg for both braking and accelerating), and the classic one looks like it has somewhat stability problems according to reviews...it's still tempting though.[/QUOTE]

I have the white evolution and it's awesome. It's the best thing of its ilk for the money. I also have the buttkicker subwoofer attached.

You're supposed to left foot brake.

That's a great deal for the $! I paid fitty mo.

I ended up buckling and going for the classic. It turns out the black classic is about $15 cheaper, so I managed to get one for $185 shipped, which is a great deal.

Not that I have the G25, (i'll be using a DFP), but when I drive my real car, I drive a manual. So I don't left foot brake.

Anyway, thanks OP for the heads up!

My pleasure. Again, I realize this isn't something that will help folks with a really limited budget. I'm a little surprised to have seen as many posts in this thread as there have been... but I'm very glad it may have helped one or more people. :)

I'm probably NOT going to get the G25 right away. As much as I'd love it, everyone tells me how you can't get the feel of real clutch with a video game wheel like that one. Too bad, since I've never driven an manual and would LOVE to learn in a my living room instead of hit someone on a road somewhere. ;)

Sneak - So have you added any "accessories" to your unit? My only plan at this point is to find a bookshelf or something to put my older 24" Dell LCD display on. Then I'll hook up my video game systems in the guest room, and have about the right amount of room for racing games with a good setup. :D

Merkman,
the only to learn how to drive a real manual is to practice in a car. I end up doing it when I got my STI.
No amount of force feedback can replace how tight a real clutch feels. :) Took me a month before I really got use to it.

Yes,

The only problem with the video game wheel clutches [the pedal] is that they offer no resistance/feedback. The same also applies to the H gate shifters. The other thing is that every car's clutch feels different. Even same year/model cars will feel different, so there's some adjustment time. But honestly, once I went to manual, it's so much more of an active experience, it's so much fun. So if you ever have the opportunity to learn, I'd say take it.

Well, besides a rental car (which isn't even fair to them), I'd be too worried about being hard on someone's car to try. Though I suppose I'll do it at some point. Used to be sports cars couldn't even FIT guys 6'4". Now it seems like we fit in a LOT of luxury vehicles. Now if I could just afford luxury vehicles... ;)

[quote name='merkman']My pleasure. Again, I realize this isn't something that will help folks with a really limited budget. I'm a little surprised to have seen as many posts in this thread as there have been... but I'm very glad it may have helped one or more people. :)

I'm probably NOT going to get the G25 right away. As much as I'd love it, everyone tells me how you can't get the feel of real clutch with a video game wheel like that one. Too bad, since I've never driven an manual and would LOVE to learn in a my living room instead of hit someone on a road somewhere. ;)

Sneak - So have you added any "accessories" to your unit? My only plan at this point is to find a bookshelf or something to put my older 24" Dell LCD display on. Then I'll hook up my video game systems in the guest room, and have about the right amount of room for racing games with a good setup. :D[/QUOTE]

No other accessories. I got a 50" widescreen Samsung DLP HDTV that does 1080p, with 5.1 surround and a kick ass subwoofer. The playseat has a buttkicker mounted under the seat, which adds a lot to the experience.

What sucks is that the MS wheel blows. I really wish MS would ditch their own half assed wheel and let us use Logitech instead, and make it compatible with Forza2.

Check out the official Forza 2 forums for some pics of awesome setups. If you have a passing interest in racing sims, you'll love playing with the playseats setup!

Can someone tell me the difference between the classic and evolution? The classic in black is $185 after discount and the white evolution is $200 after discount. Is the difference enough to pay the extra $?

The differences in classic and evolution is how the steering wheel mount is connected to the frame. The evolution is the newer version which some say is more stable. The wheel support bar comes down between where the pedals go. The classic is the original version, which some people feel is slightly less stable...but the wheel support connects to the back side of the pedals. Both allow height and distance adjustments, so other than stability, they're fairly the same. There are minor problems that are common to both, so just be sure to look up some reviews before deciding.

I might have considered this since I have a G25 wheel, however I just bought a massage Chair a couple of months ago so I'm a bit out of space..

ok I took a second look at the chair, looks like it won't even work proper with a G25, there's nowhere to clamp the H-shifter to.

Zog,

There's an add-on for the H shifter available from playseats.com. It connects directly to the chair. There are some reports somewhere on the internet, but I don't remember where.

Zoglog - As a matter of fact, the add-on rokkon is talking about will be available for $40 through GoGamer.com by the end of the month, according to their web site. The only problem is the chair is no longer on sale on Amazon.com. :(

As for my experience with the chair, I'll share here. Box arrived exactly the day the tracking said it would. I was suprised it wasn't a little bigger, given the look of the seat online. I'd have to say it's a little "thinner" than I expected, looking at pictures online. But that said, the seat is VERY comfortable, it was easy to setup (except I wasn't sure exactly how the "rods" to keep the seat upright worked, I ended up getting them inserted and folded in just under the "holding points" used for shipping. Would have been nice if there were additional "supports" to indicate that's how they went... but that's being nit-picky.

ANYWAY, it's not very large. I should be able to slide the whole thing over by the window when it's not in use... and still have room for the futon to slide out when guests are over. But it looks good, feels nice, and I just need to take some time and figure out...

1) How do I mount my Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel to it?
Posts on Amazon suggest using velcro that comes with the seat, but then that velcro is on there when I go to use my Driving Force Pro wheel as well. Have to decide if it's worth building an "adapter place" and see if I can install it in a professional way.

2) Where am I going to put the 24" LCD display I'm going to use with the chair?
My old Dell 2405 LCD is great, but not HDCP compliant. So I'm connecting the PS3 to it with a component cable, and set the LCD to 1080i resolution. Looks great, whether watching movies or games. Just gotta "mount" the display somewhere, and haven't decided on a bookcase or ?

Anyway, hope anyone who ordered one enjoyed the seat. I definately think the Evo was the way to go, as the options for adjusting the steering wheel position and the pedels position is a REAL plus!

bread's done
Back