Playstation 2 going "open source"?

Purkeynator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
148 (100%)
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/29/sony-talks-about-an-open-ps2-platform-and-opening-the-psp-and/
According to this Joystiq article the PS2 may very well be going open source in America in the future. What does this mean? It means games no longer have to pass a certification process and any developer can publish their own game without having to have a publisher (to share the profits). This open source strategy is similar to what the PC platform is, where almost anyone with a dev kit can make a game for PC. I think this is very cool and may increase the life of the PS2 even a few more years from now as costs to develop will be even lower. We may well see new PS2 games beyond even 2010 at this rate...

That would be awesome.
I love my ps2 because of its vast collection of awesome games it has for it.
I wouldn't mind seeing more games put out on the ps2.

[quote name='Paco']Does this mean Hentai games in the US?[/quote]
Pervert! ;)

Move to Japan and immerse yourself in their diverse culture...

Awesome. I bet due to recent financial troubles Sony's been forced to think outside the box. Why not make more money off of selling old hardware and dev kits.

Does this mean there would be no publishing costs for PS2 devs?

[quote name='camoor']Awesome. I bet due to recent financial troubles Sony's been forced to think outside the box. Why not make more money off of selling old hardware and dev kits.

Does this mean there would be no publishing costs for PS2 devs?[/QUOTE]I think this means zero approval process. This can be good allowing anyone to make devs, could be bad because more could bring crap to PS2, and games could be released very buggy.

Sony did this with PS1, so this is nothing really new.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think this means zero approval process. This can be good allowing anyone to make devs, could be bad because more could bring crap to PS2, and games could be released very buggy.

Sony did this with PS1, so this is nothing really new.[/quote]

Maybe, but this gen of consoles is kinda different IMO.

The jump from PS1 to PS2 was so prolific, gameplay and graphics-wise, that any serious gamer was basically forced to upgrade. But there is plenty of fun to be had on a PS2 for a very reasonable price, thus undercutting the popularity of an expensive PS3 if you aren't wowed by high-def, online, or the Bluray capabilities (awesome as they are)

As for there probably being more crap on PS2, caveat emptor. Personally I think more variety is overall almost always a good thing.

bread's done
Back