Playstation 3 12GB $199.99 (August 18)

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
ps3-12gb-555x312.jpg

Currently a rumor but some are having luck finding them inside Target locations.

Update:

Engadget has proof of stock showing up in Kmart.

ps3-kmart-sale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. So if its real I guess it'll go for like $50 on black Friday?
I think this is more an indication that there won't be a significant push for a price drop of ps3 during the holiday season in order to make ps4 more appealing to consumers.

redroversk said:
That's awful, I hope it's a misprint and they're missing a zero. My Wii U has a massive hard drive compared to that.
Hmmm? Let's see 8 gb Wii U only is $300 and the 32 gb is only $350. For about 70-100 more dollars I can put in a 1 tb hard drive into that ps3. $300 for a 1 tb hard drive ps3 vs. $300 for an 8 gb wii u. You do the math :p

Hmmm? Let's see 8 gb Wii U only is $300 and the 32 gb is only $350. For about 70-100 more dollars I can put in a 1 tb hard drive into that ps3. $300 for a 1 tb hard drive ps3 vs. $300 for an 8 gb wii u. You do the math :p
The math can go all kinds of stupid ways if you want to be a smart ass.

At $300 I can play the Wii U with the TV on a different channel / off. For an additional $100 I can buy a PS4 and for about $100 - $250 dollars more I can get a Vita. $300 dollars for a Wii U vs. $550 for a PS4 / Vita. You do the math. :p

So buy a 500gb hard drive for 50 bucks, really not bad.

As much as I love my ps3 now it requires more memory than a 360, what with mandatory installs and stuff.

So buy a 500gb hard drive for 50 bucks, really not bad.
It's still bad. Even if you do that (and buy a caddy for it) you're paying about the same price as the 500GB bundle that includes GTA V. Except now you've done more work, and still don't have GTA V. Only a moron would do this. I know there are plenty of them out there, but that doesn't make this a good deal in any way.

Now if you happen to have an extra hard drive/caddy lying around then I suppose it's ok. If you want to stream video and play a game or two (but not GTA V) then it's ok. Otherwise this is just a bad deal all around.

I'd take this with grain of salt see as it's gamestop and they've been known to slap things into their computer just to be able to take preorders on things, But I do remember their being some rumors about a PS3 that only had flash memory rather than a physical harddrive. Perhaps it will allow you to plug in an external drive or use Memory cards which can hold up to 64 gb these days... but yeah this seems kinda ridiculous even just for disk based games unless this is the first Gaikai enabled system where everything you play comes from the "almighty cloud".

EDIT: Ah, okay I didnt see Cheapy's post but yeah I guess it's possible. But from the review it seems entirely inconvienent but could be ultimatly cheaper to upgrade to a high spec drive if the owner is smart about how he shops.

It's still bad. Even if you do that (and buy a caddy for it) you're paying about the same price as the 500GB bundle that includes GTA V. Except now you've done more work, and still don't have GTA V. Only a moron would do this. I know there are plenty of them out there, but that doesn't make this a good deal in any way.

Now if you happen to have an extra hard drive/caddy lying around then I suppose it's ok. If you want to stream video and play a game or two (but not GTA V) then it's ok. Otherwise this is just a bad deal all around.
Buying either at retail price is foolish. It's certainly possible that the 12GB model will at some point be a good deal.

Additionally for anyone that wants more than 500GB buying the 12GB model is the best option because they wouldn't be spending extra money on a harddrive they won't use. I have upgraded the harddrive on all the PS3s I've owned, so the 12GB would be no different.

I've seen this model of the PS3 mentioned for months from Zavvi/The Hut from the UK in their various emails they send me. So I figured it was only a matter of time before it came out here.

Yes, this model is already available in other regions/markets.  Makes sense with PS4 on the horizon to get a cut rate PS3 on the shelves.  You can still swap the HDD for a larger capacity one.  same 2.5" laptop ones IIRC.

How large are typical game installs?

I'm typically a PC gamer, so I won't be using this as a main console. Just going to pick one up for the various console exclusives I missed over this generation.

I would prefer to get the regular Slim, but those might be tough to find around Black Friday when I am looking to pick one of these up.

This is just dumb. Bringing this out to compete with the 4GB 360? Problem is most PS3 games have to install several GB initially before you can play them. XBox 360 games don't require this install. Two large game installs on this PS3 model and you may not be able to install another. Most people that buy this probably won' thave any idea it's a gimped system.

It's not lame. You can just replace the HDD if you want.

Typical installs are around 4-5GB IIRC.
Most people who buy a PS3 aren't going to want to install their own hard drive. Soccer moms will buy this system not knowing after 2 games played there won't be able to install/load a third.

It's not lame. You can just replace the HDD if you want.

Typical installs are around 4-5GB IIRC.
It's not the size of the hard drive. It's the absurd price of the console. This thing is worth no more than $100

And for those about to tell me that it's to compete with the 4GB 360, I already know. That is also worth no more than $100. But do you really expect Sony and Microsoft to have fair and reasonable pricing? I know I don't.

Last edited:
I upgraded my 160GB PS3's hard drive to 750GB.  I think I have less than 160GB of 750GB left after all those PS+ PS3 freebies installed.

I might pick up a 12GB PS3in the future.  MIght throw my old 160GB hard drive in it.  Probably use this as a second PS3 for like blu-ray movies or for PS Move titles that don't work well in a bedroom, but work well in a living room.

This is a really good option for those looking to upgrade the harddrive anyway.  About as cheap to pick this up and put in an SSD than to just buy the HDD model outright.  Plus it works well as a Blu-ray player and for games that don't have large installs.  It's actually a good price for the system, not sure why people are expecting it to be much lower when all they did is replace the harddrive with a small amount of flash storage.

I honestly think this is an awesome deal. I can see this going for $130-$150 on BF or on AWD. I've been wanting a PS3 for awhile but I can easily wait a few to see if it goes as low as I expect.

I honestly think this is an awesome deal. I can see this going for $130-$150 on BF or on AWD. I've been wanting a PS3 for awhile but I can easily wait a few to see if it goes as low as I expect.
$130 would be instant buy.

Yeah but compared to the other bundles that have hit $200 or close to it. Why would you go through the trouble to upgrade the HDD? Hell why wouldnt you just grab the GTA5 bundle for $270? You get an upgrade and GTA5 for another $70.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if this was a 120GB for $200
Many people don't understand how upgrading the HDD works. My local GS sees TONS of people trading in PS3's to get ones with bigger HDD's. Also I was told that store went through 30 plus 360 Slim HDD's at full $130 MSRP last December b/c customers had 4 GB XBox's and couldn't play Halo 4/BF 3 online.

This board isn't just for announcing deals, it's also for informing CAGs of new product bundles and collector's editions.

Clearly a 12 GB PS3 for $200 isn't a steal, and no "leet" level CAG would buy one at that price.

I think I'd buy one for $200 I'll trade in 2 slims that I got that I only had to put HDD's in and get this system and put a 120GB SSD in this one. I've been wanting to do so anyways does anyone know if running a PS3 with a SSD even makes a noticeable difference. 

Just wondering, is this gonna be easy to swap HDD?
It would be nice if it were like the fat PS3 when swapping your HDD instead of the slim one.

It would be nice if it were like the fat PS3 when swapping your HDD instead of the slim one.
?

It takes like two minutes to swap out a HDD on the original slim model. The biggest pain is waiting for the data to transfer.

TimesTicking said:
It takes like 2 minutes to replace. :)

love to sell my 250 gb that used no more then 2 hours for 150 but never get it

Most people who buy a PS3 aren't going to want to install their own hard drive. Soccer moms will buy this system not knowing after 2 games played there won't be able to install/load a third.
Yeah but sports games, dancing games, and COD don't take much if any install space (as long as you aren't getting the COD DLC).

I just hope people who buy this realize that downloading and installing stuff is going to be a hassle because you need twice the space for(of) the download (download, unpack, install)

The other PS3 deal good and smart. 500GB hard drive with GTAV, and makes a lot more sense.
There was also the 2 day $220(normally $270) Uncharted 3 GOTY PS3 bundle deal at Best Buy. That bundle comes with a year of Playstation Plus besides the UC3 GOTY game.

If anyone is buying this console, I have a 2.5" SATA 60 GB HDD or a 2.5" SATA 80 GB HDD that I can sell to you to upgrade.  They both work fine, and I removed them from my PS3s in order to upgrade to larger drives. Send me a PM if interested.

I think I'd buy one for $200 I'll trade in 2 slims that I got that I only had to put HDD's in and get this system and put a 120GB SSD in this one. I've been wanting to do so anyways does anyone know if running a PS3 with a SSD even makes a noticeable difference.
Let me see if I'm understanding this correctly...you'd trade in TWO slims for one of these 12GB models?? WHYYYY!? Seems like you'd be getting screwed double on that deal.

At this point in the cycle, no. Just buy a better HDD as you will see the same result. I was kind of wrong about the SSD considering I was unaware of the bandwidth cap of 1.5 gbps.

Having an SSD has mixed results in terms of installing / deletion. Some games will install quicker, while others will take longer to install.

Watch this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQThe5VUBLY

man, ur better off buying a used one from amazon or something.  At least you will get more than 10 times the storage space for at least $20 cheaper.

LOL i just saw this at frys and there was like 9 boxes on top of their overhead space. if it was $100 sure then buy a 1tb hdd there while im at it.

I remember the good ol' days. When a system got discounted, you got the same machine but for less money.  These days all they do is offer a stripped down version and pass it off as a "price cut". At least with the 4gb 360 though you aren't obligated to deal with mandatory game installs...

bread's done
Back