PlayStation 3 Price Drop Rumor: March 22nd is The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, this rumor is true. I know we have a few CAGs who work at Gamestop. Can anyone verify whether this rumor is true? I think I read somewhere that at least one other person was told the same thing...

I still say Overstock is the way to go. I got a 40GB PS3 for $170 and a 360 Premium for $78 a couple months ago from BestBuyOutlet in their auctions and have had no problems with either one.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Saw this on gaf, every week there are PS3 drop threads, im wondering if I should sell my 60 gig and buy a new one[/QUOTE]

if you don't care about PS2 backwards compatibility then go ahead, people will buy a good condition 60gig for good price as that model has held its value well on the used markets.

300 is still too high...

i got my Xbox 360 for 70 bucks from amazon (day after thanksgiving glitch)

and i still have to play it more then 12 hours .... I would rather play handhelds then console games anymore

[quote name='slidecage']300 is still too high...

i got my Xbox 360 for 70 bucks from amazon (day after thanksgiving glitch)

and i still have to play it more then 12 hours .... I would rather play handhelds then console games anymore[/quote]

Seeing as how no one can make that happen now, that really doesn't apply here.

Plus, no one really cares about your gaming preferences in a deal thread.

[quote name='Shady3011']Seeing as how no one can make that happen now, that really doesn't apply here.

Plus, no one really cares about your gaming preferences in a deal thread.[/QUOTE]

main point is 300 is still too high for the main person to buy a video game system

[quote name='slidecage']main point is 300 is still too high for the main person to buy a video game system[/quote]

Seeing as how a 360 runs around the same price ($199 if you can live without a HDD), this is the price point most people would bite at for a PS3. Really, I don't see how you can make that argument when people are still buying the Wii at $250 with no price drop in sight.

And Sony just got done saying about a day ago that they were not going to cut the price at all? Given the fix they've put themselves into with Blu-ray and the PS3's guts, I don't expect any sort of price drop. If they were gonna drop the price, they should have during Christmas or right at KZ2's launch.

They've missed the boat.

Didn't they drop the price last Summer? If they had done it again during the holiday season, their loses would probably be a lot more considerable.

[quote name='Shady3011']Seeing as how a 360 runs around the same price ($199 if you can live without a HDD), this is the price point most people would bite at for a PS3. Really, I don't see how you can make that argument when people are still buying the Wii at $250 with no price drop in sight.[/quote]

Easy. The market has decided that $250 for a Wii is perfectly okey. Let's not forget that $250 gets you a fully BC Wii with a game.

The $199 360 also has Microsoft's $20 upgrade plan going for it, bringing the cost of the cheapest 360 to 220 before tax.

Sony still has the most costly system on the market compared for what they give you.

There will be a new PS3 sku on March 29th that includes Motorstorm & Resistance w/ the 80gb version for $399.99. If the pricedrop is true, it will only be applicable for the standalone 80gb systems to clearance old inventory. That's my fuzzy logic...

[quote name='2OLD2PLAY']Last night one of community members was in an EB Games store and an employee mentioned a PS3 price drop occurring Sunday March 22nd just in advance of the Game Developer's Conference (GDC). He went on to say that Sony will be issuing a press release on the Saturday before the drop and that EB was already prepared for the upcoming price-drop.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt say anything about this employee seeing it "in their computer system" or anything like that. So, for all we know, he read something about a price drop on the internet, repeated it at work, then says "We'll be ready for it."

Anyways, it doesnt look very promising to me, from that info...but if it ends up being true then thats good! Hopefully more people will by the :ps3:

[quote name='Shady3011']Didn't they drop the price last Summer? If they had done it again during the holiday season, their loses would probably be a lot more considerable.[/quote]

They would have lost money, but also expanded their user base. Instead they handed the hoilday season and even more of their marketshare on a silver platter to Nintendo and Microsoft.

When your trying to keep third party support strong and we are in the middle of a global downturn that will force developers to focus their efforts on one system at a time, you don't go and make it easier for the other guy to get the focus from third parties, even more so when you've almost completely blown your wad when it comes to the first party games and will need anywhere from between 1 to 3 years to get the next wave going.

[quote name='Shady3011']Seeing as how a 360 runs around the same price ($199 if you can live without a HDD), this is the price point most people would bite at for a PS3. Really, I don't see how you can make that argument when people are still buying the Wii at $250 with no price drop in sight.[/quote]

people are buying the wii, people are buying the 360, people are buying the ps3..

more specifically most avid gamers are buying the 360, most people who care about HD and certain ps only games are the ps3, and families are buying the wii...

lets face it, the wii doesn't really have any wii specific 'must have' games coming out in sight.. the 360 and ps3 on the other hand do..

so people who aren't looking towards 2010 or who don't pay any attention will continue buying wiis, but people are going to start tradin in their wiis to get their God of War 3s and Final Fantasys.

side note: and people forget wiis are 'only' 250 but u gotta spend another 50-100 in accessories to really get the full potential out of it.. (numchucks, remote gloves, memory card, cables, or w/e)

[quote name='zas123']people are buying the wii, people are buying the 360, people are buying the ps3..

more specifically most avid gamers are buying the 360, most people who care about HD and certain ps only games are the ps3, and families are buying the wii...

lets face it, the wii doesn't really have any wii specific 'must have' games coming out in sight.. the 360 and ps3 on the other hand do..

so people who aren't looking towards 2010 or who don't pay any attention will continue buying wiis, but people are going to start tradin in their wiis to get their God of War 3s and Final Fantasys.

side note: and people forget wiis are 'only' 250 but u gotta spend another 50-100 in accessories to really get the full potential out of it.. (numchucks, remote gloves, memory card, cables, or w/e)[/quote]

Just like you have to spend another 50-100 to get the full protential out of a PS3 or a 360. And your mis-reading the market if you think the bulk of the Wii user base gives two damns about HD, ff13 or GOW3. Or there's gonna be a massive flood of system trade ins for those games.

[quote name='slidecage']main point is 300 is still too high for the main person to buy a video game system[/quote]

Nah, that's just your opinion :)

A lot of gamers (millions) bought 360 and PS3 at a higher price point.

[quote name='slidecage']

and i still have to play it more then 12 hours .... I would rather play handhelds then console games anymore[/quote]

I have met my un-self.

Do you sleep on top of the covers?

[quote name='Sixtail']Easy. The market has decided that $250 for a Wii is perfectly okey. Let's not forget that $250 gets you a fully BC Wii with a game.

The $199 360 also has Microsoft's $20 upgrade plan going for it, bringing the cost of the cheapest 360 to 220 before tax.

Sony still has the most costly system on the market compared for what they give you.[/quote]

The 360 was selling at its old price point. Not at the level the Wii has enjoyed but it still sold. Nintendo is obviously smart enough to see that a price drop is unnecessary if people still buy the system at its current price.

As for the $20 upgrade, I'm pretty sure that ended a while ago so the point is moot.

[quote name='Sixtail']They would have lost money, but also expanded their user base. Instead they handed the hoilday season and even more of their marketshare on a silver platter to Nintendo and Microsoft.

When your trying to keep third party support strong and we are in the middle of a global downturn that will force developers to focus their efforts on one system at a time, you don't go and make it easier for the other guy to get the focus from third parties, even more so when you've almost completely blown your wad when it comes to the first party games and will need anywhere from between 1 to 3 years to get the next wave going.[/quote]

Honestly, I don't think they would have expanded all that much. The increase in the user base would probably not cover the potential loss from revenue. They are pretty deep in the red with the PS3 and can't really afford to make haphazard attempts at trying to expand while keeping losses as low as possible.

As for developers, now is the time more than ever to focus on multiplatform releases. Profits are considerably larger when a game comes out on more than one console.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']There will be a new PS3 sku on March 29th that includes Motorstorm & Resistance w/ the 80gb version for $399.99. If the pricedrop is true, it will only be applicable for the standalone 80gb systems to clearance old inventory. That's my fuzzy logic...[/quote]

Kudos for using logic! A customer specific clearance would explain why this isn't in the 3/22 ads, why it wasn't announced at DPS and it also doesn't fly in the face of everything Sony and analysts have been saying. It's still a rumor, but at least it makes sense.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']There will be a new PS3 sku on March 29th that includes Motorstorm & Resistance w/ the 80gb version for $399.99. If the pricedrop is true, it will only be applicable for the standalone 80gb systems to clearance old inventory. That's my fuzzy logic...[/quote]

If any scenario were to happen, this is the most likely one. I'm willing to bet nonbundled 80GB's will drop to $349.99.. thus confusing the market even further than it already is (20gb , 60gb , 40gb w/ Spiderman 3 BR, 80gb w/ Motorstorm , MGS4 80gb , 160gb w/ Uncharted, 80gb standalone, 80gb w/ Motorstorm & Resistance.. I think that is all of them).

Geez.

[quote name='Shady3011']Seeing as how no one can make that happen now, that really doesn't apply here.

Plus, no one really cares about your gaming preferences in a deal thread.[/quote]
well said...

i hate people brag about glitch scores, $70 Xbox, but come on, can you do it again and again? Brag, okay, but impose it on another deal for comparison? Come on...

Make that two:

Plus, no one really cares about your gaming preferences in a deal thread

[quote name='slidecage']main point is 300 is still too high for the main person to buy a video game system[/QUOTE]

$300 isn't to high especially if you compare it to an xbox 360 with a 60gb harddrive & standard dvd drive for $300 to a PS3 with an 80gb harddrive & BlueRay dvd player. We could still apply Dell.com 20% off codes or apply for the Sonycard & other discounts to that price.

I bought two xbox 360's in the past, one has been sent back in twice while in warranty(E74 & 3RROD), the second(Aug 07 benQ) I had to do a self fix last week with a X Clamp replacement kit after it got an E74 out of warranty(no 3RROD to date).
Some friends at 2old2play we're trying to talk me into buying a 360 arcade while it was down but there was no way I was going to give MS $200 more for a new system or even a $100-90 day fix especially if a PS3 drops to $300 or $350

For 300 dollars, that makes the PS3 the best regular price gaming deal. At least at the 300 dollar level, consumers can at least consider buying one. 400 - 600 dollars price points imo make consumers shy away from the product (of course not all). I hope that Sony is successful and their sales start to pick up... it'd be nice to see Nintendo at least consider a price drop on the Wii.

[quote name='Sixtail']Easy. The market has decided that $250 for a Wii is perfectly okey. Let's not forget that $250 gets you a fully BC Wii with a game.

Sony still has the most costly system on the market compared for what they give you.[/quote]

With a PS3 For $399 you get
1. A game system with 1080 capability
2. A blue ray player that is fully upgradeable
3. An up convert DVD player
4. Rechargeable controller that never needs batteries
5. Wired and wireless network adapter included
6. Free Net service
7. 80g HD that can be upgraded to a huge amount for under $100 if you shop.
8. 1 year warranty
9. BC with PS1 games

Total price to get rolling $399 plus the cost of a game $20-$60 ($420-460)

Xbox for $299 you get
1. A game system with 720p capability
2. no Blue Ray
3. No upconvert DVD (at least I don't think so)
4. Controller that takes batteries costing you more money out of the gate.
5. Wired internet included but you pay $75 or more for wireless bringing you to $375
6. 60g HD ($150 to upgrade to 120g)
7. 2 games going for about 20 bucks each if you shop
8. pay to play net service costing $50 a year after any specials are up
9. 3 year warranty
10. Headset
11. BC with xbox 1 games

Total price to get rolling $425 plus batteries and you'll probably still want to get a different game ($445-$485). And you still can't watch movies.

IMO Sony's machine isn't the most costly for what they give you. Dollar for dollar I am getting more for my buck with a ps3 and when you total it all out the price difference really isn't that much after everything is said and done. The argument that it doesn't matter if the ps3 can play movies or not doesn't fly either because its included in the price and doesn't make it any more expensive than the equivalent 360 anyways. Sure you can find deals here and there on each system and its parts moving the prices down a little on both but overall they are pretty evenly priced when you hash it all out.

I don't see why Sony has to drop the price. What they need to do is better advertise how they are more competitive in pricing than people give them credit for and maybe throw in the 2 games like the above poster said to sweeten the deal.

Are you guys giving credibility to a rumor started by an EB sales clerk that has no other evidence to go along with it?

[quote name='ohscaryone']With a PS3 For $399 you get
1. A game system with 1080 capability
2. A blue ray player that is fully upgradeable
3. An up convert DVD player
5. Wired and wireless network adapter included
6. Free Net service
7. 80g HD that can be upgraded to a huge amount for under $100 if you shop.
8. 1 year warranty
9. BC with PS1 games

Total price to get rolling $399 plus the cost of a game $20-$60 ($420-460)

Xbox for $299 you get
1. A game system with 720p capability wrong, fully 1080p capable
2. no Blue Ray
3. No upconvert DVD (at least I don't think so) wrong
4. Controller that takes batteries costing you more money out of the gate. depends on which system you get, arcade is wired.
5. Wired internet included but you pay $75 or more for wireless bringing you to $375 wired internet still works
6. 60g HD ($150 to upgrade to 120g) $135
8. pay to play net service costing $50 a year after any specials are up $38, and has pretty much unanimous agreement it is a superior service
9. 3 year warranty
10. Headset
11. BC with xbox 1 games the previous gen system, not two generations old

Total price to get rolling $425 plus batteries and you'll probably still want to get a different game ($445-$485). And you still can't watch movies. (yes you can, upconverted DVDs)

IMO Sony's machine isn't the most costly for what they give you. Dollar for dollar I am getting more for my buck with a ps3 and when you total it all out the price difference really isn't that much after everything is said and done. The argument that it doesn't matter if the ps3 can play movies or not doesn't fly either because its included in the price and doesn't make it any more expensive than the equivalent 360 anyways. Sure you can find deals here and there on each system and its parts moving the prices down a little on both but overall they are pretty evenly priced when you hash it all out.

I don't see why Sony has to drop the price. What they need to do is better advertise how they are more competitive in pricing than people give them credit for and maybe throw in the 2 games like the above poster said to sweeten the deal.[/quote]

What could potentially make the ps3 a great deal is if you value blu ray, wifi (wired solution would be a pain) and you actually need a lot of storage space.

[quote name='ohscaryone']With a PS3 For $399 you get

[/quote]

I agree with you on PS3 being a better deal than other 2 current gen consoles, but batteries doesn't last forever. Microsoft made the right call on user replaceable batteries IMO.

[quote name='CheapyD']Are you guys giving credibility to a rumor started by an EB sales clerk that has no other evidence to go along with it?[/quote]

You make it sound like that's a bad thing... :booty: (I lol'd inside though)

At least for me, why I'm not getting a PS3... RPGs or the lack there of.

I count 8 on the system that are considered exclusive. I won't get Fallout 3 or Oblivion because it's all better on the PC which I would get instead.

That's it.

Bluray I could wait for so getting it as a player isn't motivation enough.

Third is still the lack of BC. That's a serious thorn that they should have figured out, and having been late to the Sony party, it still drives me away from outright placing a PS3 in my shopping cart. I know PS1 but it's a serious negative to have dropped PS2 which now ate a $99 hole in my wallet.

At least with the Wii, I have the entire library of GC to play, and with the DS, the entire GBA library to play, even go back to GB and GBC on my old GBA SP....

Even considering the discounts and now the price drop... with no BC, I just have to say no.

Sony's library of less than 10 games can't pull me away to throw out $300 just on the system alone.

Xbox for $299 you get
1. A game system with 720p capability wrong, fully 1080p capable
2. no Blue Ray
3. No upconvert DVD (at least I don't think so) wrong
4. Controller that takes batteries costing you more money out of the gate. depends on which system you get, arcade is wired.
5. Wired internet included but you pay $75 or more for wireless bringing you to $375 wired internet still works
6. 60g HD ($150 to upgrade to 120g) $135
8. pay to play net service costing $50 a year after any specials are up $38, and has pretty much unanimous agreement it is a superior service
9. 3 year warranty
10. Headset
11. BC with xbox 1 games the previous gen system, not two generations old

Total price to get rolling $425 plus batteries and you'll probably still want to get a different game ($445-$485). And you still can't watch movies. (yes you can, upconverted DVDs)

[quote name='Anexanhume']

What could potentially make the ps3 a great deal is if you value blu ray, wifi (wired solution would be a pain) and you actually need a lot of storage space.
[/quote]

Out of the box they can upconvert DVDs? I thought they needed that HD DVD addon to do any of that. I really thought it was 720p also. Not that the PS3 has a ton of 1080p games :bouncy: I have been considering getting an xbox but they need to fix the reliability issue. I am watching this new model with high hopes.

Either way my main point of my reply was for the price the PS3 and Xbox aren't all that different in price when you put up equivilent machines and accessories. The PS3 really is a good value IMO for all that you get out of the box at $399.

I can't believe this has been posted in as many places as it has. EB employees don't know shit. This is as credible as the Circuit City employee in the summer of 06 that had a PS3 in the back.

Obscaryone...

- 120gb HDD's ARE $150 MSRP.

- Superior service when it isn't slowing the hell out of your system since NXE.

- Xbox 1 was last generation.

- Wireless on PS3 is packed in, on 360 it's $100 extra. Some people don't have the luxury of being near a wired outlet, and it's foolish to think that they do.

- All 360 controllers are now wireless (unless they're by a 3rd party since MS charges a buttload to use their proprietary wireless technology).

And in relations to the topic at hand, Gamestop clerks know nothing. There's already a new bundle coming March 29th and we know that'll be $400. So there.

Actually it is kinda funny, The first post I did on cag was a fake rumor (when cheapy had the contest about fake game news). I said I heard about some gamestop employees mentioning a price drop. That is just a funny coincidence huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back