Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jacoblee23']The fact that this doesn't have a tuner is literally the only thing preventing me from buying it right now. :cry:[/QUOTE]

If it helps, the tv is awesome. I've been playing around with mine the past hour and it's so pretty. 2D games and blu rays look so smooth on it, and I'm even surprised by how good the 3D is. Totally worth it

Where are people getting these 3 x reward points coupons??

I will return and rebut my new retina MacBook if I can get one of those.....

[quote name='cigaro']Where are people getting these 3 x reward points coupons??

I will return and rebut my new retina MacBook if I can get one of those.....[/QUOTE]

I got mine in the mail.

[quote name='UberSwiss']If it helps, the tv is awesome. I've been playing around with mine the past hour and it's so pretty. 2D games and blu rays look so smooth on it, and I'm even surprised by how good the 3D is. Totally worth it[/QUOTE]

How do 2d games look on it compared to a 1080p HDTV?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']How do 2d games look on it compared to a 1080p HDTV?[/QUOTE]

It looks awesome. Super crisp. I am comparing it to a 2 year old LCD Samsung and it's a pretty big difference in quality between the two.

[quote name='UberSwiss']It looks awesome. Super crisp. I am comparing it to a 2 year old LCD Samsung and it's a pretty big difference in quality between the two.[/QUOTE]

My main worry is I am fixing to move in dorms for college and I think they may have only basic cable. I do have a 19 inch LCD tv that I could use though if I have to for the cable.

Damn you BB for actually matching this. I wasn't going to pick this up due to the GS return policy but with BB I feel I need to. Worst case scenario, I try it out and return it.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']My main worry is I am fixing to move in dorms for college and I think they may have only basic cable. I do have a 19 inch LCD tv that I could use though if I have to for the cable.[/QUOTE]

If you have a desktop computer you could always install a tv tuner into that. Then you'd have yourself a DVR. The thing you should be asking yourself is how much basic cable would you even be watching? Plus you can always get Netflix/Hulu

[quote name='UberSwiss']If you have a desktop computer you could always install a tv tuner into that. Then you'd have yourself a DVR. The thing you should be asking yourself is how much basic cable would you even be watching? Plus you can always get Netflix/Hulu[/QUOTE]

I just have a laptop and an iPad 3. I mainly watch cable for sports these days. I have Netflix and Hulu plus. Are there any other work arounds for this?

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I just have a laptop and an iPad 3. I mainly watch cable for sports these days. I have Netflix and Hulu plus. Are there any other work arounds for this?[/QUOTE]
Do you have an old school VCR? Most of those have tuners in them. Same with DVD recorders, and DVR boxes (basically anything that can record). Your other option would be to actually buy a tuner. Either a standalone one, or one that hooks into your computer.

Got the monitor from gamestop today and this thing is well worth it. Compared to lg w2361vg-pf 23" lcd and a samsung pn50c490 50" plasma both with a ps3, this ps3d display works really well and the glare panel helps make the colors seem more vibrant. The ps3d display also feels solid and not like some cheap tv. Tried street fighter x tekken and it looks awesome and plays smooth. Played super stardust for the 3d mode and it felt like it looked and played better on that ps3d display than it did on my samsung 3d plasma.

[quote name='madcatz1999']Do you have an old school VCR? Most of those have tuners in them. Same with DVD recorders, and DVR boxes (basically anything that can record). Your other option would be to actually buy a tuner. Either a standalone one, or one that hooks into your computer.[/QUOTE]

I have two old vcr's! I thought about bringing it with me to record stuff while I'm not at the dorm. I don't know why I didn't think of this lol. I also have a DVD recorder as well. I think you may have solved my problem. Thank you. If I buy it, I will do it now for instore pickup. I don't see the option for the protection plan though. I am either going to get this or a 32 inch LG 1080p 60 hz LCD tv for $299.00. Thoughts?

[quote name='madcatz1999']Do you have an old school VCR? Most of those have tuners in them. Same with DVD recorders, and DVR boxes (basically anything that can record). Your other option would be to actually buy a tuner. Either a standalone one, or one that hooks into your computer.[/QUOTE]

An old school VCR probably doesn't have component video out, not to mention HDMI.

Yea, that. Plus if you're moving into a dorm, every dorm I've ever been to has a common room on each floor with a tv and cable set up. I'm sure enough of your dormies like sports. It can be a bonding experience!

[quote name='Keero']Got the monitor from gamestop today and this thing is well worth it. Compared to lg w2361vg-pf 23" lcd and a samsung pn50c490 50" plasma both with a ps3, this ps3d display works really well and the glare panel helps make the colors seem more vibrant. The ps3d display also feels solid and not like some cheap tv. Tried street fighter x tekken and it looks awesome and plays smooth. Played super stardust for the 3d mode and it felt like it looked and played better on that ps3d display than it did on my samsung 3d plasma.[/QUOTE]

How do you feel about the lag for the fighting games compared to your plasma? I have found super to be leggy on my high end plasma tv

[quote name='gantt']An old school VCR probably doesn't have component video out, not to mention HDMI.[/QUOTE]

Well crap. Now I am back to square one.

I picked this up early today from Best Buy with the 4 year warranty ($29.99 for 4 years, 2 year is confirmed $19.99). I haven't used it too much, but here's my experience with it so far:

As a PC monitor, it's definitely lacking. The image quality just doesn't quite look as sharp as a decent monitor would be from what I can tell, I was using a 24" Sceptre monitor that I got several years back for $200 and the Playstation 3D Display definitely appears blurrier or less defined somehow. It's really easy to see that text isn't quite as clear on it even at the same relative resolutions. Scaling also seems to be of lower quality. The response time seems quite acceptable though, it doesn't seem to have any more input lag or ghosting than the monitor did.

For 3D, it's actually pretty nice. I didn't bother with getting the Nvidia 3DTV Play application or anything, but side-by-side 3D works fine with it. I played Crysis 2 for a bit, and the depth perception is quite clear, even before cranking up the effect. Oddly enough I ran it in 1080p when I enabled side by side 3D, and it still seemed to run relatively smooth, so I'm not sure if the 24hz limitation at 1080p actually applies to SBS content or not (of course, SBS 3D effectively cuts the resolution in half). There was a bit of ghosting around objects in 3D though.

Overall, I'm not especially impressed with it, but it's not all that bad either. Debating if I'll keep it or not (according to the employee at Best Buy it has a standard 30 day return policy with no restocking fee), but I'd say $199 was just a bit too much for it. I'll try using my 360, PS3, and PSP on it a bit later to see how it looks with those, the PSP fullscreen mode sounds appealing at least.

I'm gonna give my best buy a call tomorrow and find out if I'll have the 30 day return on it. If so I'll definitely give this a shot to see if this is worth it for college.

[quote name='Edge']I picked this up early today from Best Buy with the 4 year warranty ($29.99 for 4 years, 2 year is confirmed $19.99). [/QUOTE]

How did you get 4 years for $30. I just used the protection plan options on the Best Buy site for in store pick up. Only options there was $30 for 2 years and $40 for 4 years.

[quote name='IzzyF3']How did you get 4 years for $30. I just used the protection plan options on the Best Buy site for in store pick up. Only options there was $30 for 2 years and $40 for 4 years.[/QUOTE]

It seems that they didn't update the website protection plans when they dropped the price. In-store it will come up as $19.99/$29.99 (which is what a display/TV under $200 is supposed to be charged). You should be able to have them remove the old plan and add the cheaper in-store plan after you pick it up.

[quote name='Edge']It seems that they didn't update the website protection plans when they dropped the price. In-store it will come up as $19.99/$29.99 (which is what a display/TV under $200 is supposed to be charged). You should be able to have them remove the old plan and add the cheaper in-store plan after you pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I've already picked the display up this morning, so I'll try to call BB or Geeksquad or whatever to see if I can upgrade the 2 year to a 4 year (paid $30).

So one of the store in my area already sold out, so I decided to go ahead and buy it and do instore pickup at the other store to be safe. I got the two year protection plan. I hope this is a good display. It looks to be a damn good deal.

So I just found out that my DVD recorder/VCR has component hookups. So in order to connect this to basic cable, do I run the component cord from the DVD recorder/VCR to the tv, and hook the basic cable cord from the wall to the back of the recorder/VCR also?

I got it, too. I agree that as a PC monitor, it's just okay...A bit blurry, as has been said.

I DID just try watching Avatar, though, which I haven't seen since it was in theaters...man, that looks amazing. Monitor works great in that respect, but you have to ask yourself: How many times do I want to watch Avatar?

As for the gaming side, it looks beautiful in 2d, but the 3d games I've tried (Halo and de Blob 2) are just okay. I can't see myself using it all the time, but occasionally? Probably.

So, overall, I'm not displeased, but I concede that I probably wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't had a coupon. Also, trading in Motorstorm to BB right after for $23 made the offer even more appealing.

I've been playing Sonic Generations PC on side-by-side mode in 1080p on the monitor that I picked up yesterday and I can honestly say that I've been wowed.

[quote name='Edge']
When you say 5-9ms of lag, are you talking about actual display latency, or response time? Because they're two different statistics. 5ms latency would mean you must have a 240hz screen at the least, and I don't know of any 240hz displays that actually display the images that quickly (since most 240hz displays have extra post processing and scaling engines that take up a good chunk of time).

33ms is actually pretty reasonable. Most HDTVs have display latency of 60ms or above.[/QUOTE]

I believe I mean display latency. As in, I input a command on my controller and see it occur 5ms after. When I dont have my TV on game mode (samsung 55 led 240hz) the latency is HUGE like you mentioned. I cannot play games with it off. When I turn game mode on, the latency is near non-existant. So my point to myself was that I know I would have a bitter taste in my mouth about the increase in latency, so I didnt buy it, even though I wanted to lol.

[quote name='Archaic']

but the 3d games I've tried (Halo and de Blob 2) are just okay.

Also, trading in Motorstorm to BB right after for $23 made the offer even more appealing.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you have a PS3, but Motorstorm is GREAT in 3D.

debating picking two of these up, one for my xbox, and ps3 and one as a pc monitor but i'm not sure if i really need to replace my two 22inch screens i'm currently using ..... and also i plan on wall mounting these but ive been reading that its not possible without modifications..... Any help or suggestions?

Thanks for the info all. I put one on order and am on the fence about this. Love the 24 inch display for the price but sad about the lack of optical output and the text performance. Still seems like a good deal for a 24 inch screen regardless of 3D or not.

Does anyone know if the copy of Motorstorm included in the bundle can be trade in at Best Buy? On the back of the case, it states "not for resale".

[quote name='nightmare452']Does anyone know if the copy of Motorstorm included in the bundle can be trade in at Best Buy? On the back of the case, it states "not for resale".[/QUOTE]

You can just sell the game disk without the case, it was ~$20 with the bestbuy promo few days ago

[quote name='svt1029']debating picking two of these up, one for my xbox, and ps3 and one as a pc monitor but i'm not sure if i really need to replace my two 22inch screens i'm currently using ..... and also i plan on wall mounting these but ive been reading that its not possible without modifications..... Any help or suggestions?[/QUOTE]
Looking at the back of mine now, it doesn't look like there are hookups for a mount. There are 4 screws, but I'm assuming they're holding something on, rather than a spot for a mount. Don't really have any experience with newer TV, so can't say 100%.

Alright so I just got one and wanted to try the 3D, I chose Uncharted 3 and it looks amazing. However, is anyone having audio issues? On the XMB the audio is fine and during the cutscenes in U3, but the U3 menu and gmaeplay audio is all messed up. Is there some setting I need to switch or is the tv defective?
Edit: I just tried Rachet All 4 one and it is doing it again
Edit2: I think I fixed it, I just went through all the 3D setting again and it fixed it. Don't know what is was but I hope it's fine.
If only this had a tv tuner then this would be my tv for college. even though i am in love with it, I think I'm going to take it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked one up as a bedside tv to play my Wii on (also hooked up a PS3). I am impressed. I needed a smaller screen for the wii with a sharp picture, and this baby does the job. The 3D is as good as my larger 3dtv. I hope it doesnt go bad, I tend to think people who post about things going bad are outspoken, as they are likely to complain than someone who is completely satisfied is likely to follow up with good feedback. Ill use it to death and know soon though.

Now I just need to patiently wait for The Last Story.

[quote name='garrett007']Alright so I just got one and wanted to try the 3D, I chose Uncharted 3 and it looks amazing. However, is anyone having audio issues? On the XMB the audio is fine and during the cutscenes in U3, but the U3 menu and gmaeplay audio is all messed up. Is there some setting I need to switch or is the tv defective?
Edit: I just tried Rachet All 4 one and it is doing it again
Edit2: I think I fixed it, I just went through all the 3D setting again and it fixed it. Don't know what is was but I hope it's fine.
If only this had a tv tuner then this would be my tv for college. even though i am in love with it, I think I'm going to take it back.[/QUOTE]

Dude just use a cable box or get one of those cheap HD antennae thingys and your good to go...

BB protection plans suck. Read the complaints on the BB forum.

But if you really want it, you should know that the 2 year protection plan is not needed if you use your Amex card.

Sony has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and American Express matches the warranty for free. Amex isn't free, but if you already have the card, then don't buy the 2 yr protection.

As for the 4 yr plan for $30, just save your money because after 3 or 4 yrs, BB will find a way to deny your claims or be bankrupted.

[quote name='brewin']Dude just use a cable box or get one of those cheap HD antennae thingys and your good to go...[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible :) , not all cable boxes come with component or hdmi outs. Mine doesn't. And Comcast won't let me swap it for one with them unless I pay for HD. It's only another $10 a month, so I'm doing it, but damn I hate giving them my money when my service goes out all the time.

[quote name='godsmack13']Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible :) , not all cable boxes come with component or hdmi outs. Mine doesn't. And Comcast won't let me swap it for one with them unless I pay for HD. It's only another $10 a month, so I'm doing it, but damn I hate giving them my money when my service goes out all the time.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty shitty man.

I love DIrectTV. We switched from Time Warner not too long ago, and damn it is just absolutely amazing service.

[quote name='godsmack13']Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible :) , not all cable boxes come with component or hdmi outs. Mine doesn't. And Comcast won't let me swap it for one with them unless I pay for HD. It's only another $10 a month, so I'm doing it, but damn I hate giving them my money when my service goes out all the time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, especially if you have SD only. This is going into my bedroom as a replacement for my tube TV. So I'm having to look for an Svideo/composite to HDMI converter. Seem to be about $50-60 for a decent one.

Grab a HD homerun prime and get a free cable card from comcast. No more equipment rental fees and no HD DVR fee. While you're at it, buy your own modem too. In fact, comcast gives you a $2.50 credit every month for using your own equipment. I went this route and I save almost $40 per month ($17 hd dvr fee, $7 modem fee, and $10 HD fee) plus you can use your xbox as a receiver so you can have as many as you want without paying them monthly for extra boxes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345006

[quote name='brewin']Dude just use a cable box or get one of those cheap HD antennae thingys and your good to go...[/QUOTE]

He said TV for college, which I'm guessing is provided in the dorm. That will probably be analog cable which this can't receive. And can't use an HD antenna because there's no tuner in the TV.

[quote name='Chemosh013']He said TV for college, which I'm guessing is provided in the dorm. That will probably be analog cable which this can't receive. And can't use an HD antenna because there's no tuner in the TV.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat. I do have a DVD recorder/VCR that has component hookups built in though, so couldn't I connect my tv to my VCR and run the cable from the wall to the VCR and it work that way?

I've scoured this website, and the internet to no avail. I want to get the TV I think, but does anyone know what a Wii trades in for at Gamestop? I know Best Buy it's not even worth it. Thanks in advance.

I know it's a n00b question but I've done every search I can possibly imagine on here.

try calling gamestop.

[quote name='tuffguycore']I've scoured this website, and the internet to no avail. I want to get the TV I think, but does anyone know what a Wii trades in for at Gamestop? I know Best Buy it's not even worth it. Thanks in advance.

I know it's a n00b question but I've done every search I can possibly imagine on here.[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back