Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slugboss']Thank you, I was afraid I was damaging the plastic picking at it. Don't have any precise configuration yet, but setting the sharpness to 0 is a MUST for PC use.[/QUOTE]

If you google "PS3 3D Display Calibration" you'll find a pretty good one on Amazon by someone.

I think mine is set to:

Standard
Backlight: 7
Brightness: 30-40
Contrast: 80s
Sharpness: 1
Color: 45
Temp: Normal

Does anypony know if we can use any regular remote like those 4$ Ann remotes at walmart for this display?

I'm not sure if any crappy remote will do but you can ebay any HD gen Sony TV or Sound System remote. I have an older pre-3d, pre-TruHD Sony surround sound and the remote works right out of the box with my ps3 display. I didn't have to enter any codes or configure it.

HDMI 1.4 device through NVIDIA control panel on my PC to mess around with 3D. Any one have any recent advice that works without resorting to last years drivers for NVIDIA?

From all the research I've done and attempts I've made, it appears for 3D to work on PC you need:

-Older nvidia drivers...I think highest 296
-At least GTX260
-nvidia 3DTV play compatible
-EDID Override driver for monitor

I was attempting with an old 9800GT which worked with the old NVISION system but after running everything I needed, I could only get as far as the setup wizard saying "display not supported" (even w/ inf) or the screen going black w/ a message saying "not supported" (where "no signal" usually appears). I then came to realize that every PC 3D success story seemed to be using 3DTV Play which my video card doesn't support.

I ordered a new vid card (for real cheap cuz i needed an upgrade anyways) and I'll update here w/ my success or lackthereof in getting 3D to work on PC.

Does anyone know what "HDMI Control: On or Off" actually does? I previously thought that this was what allowed Sony products that are connected to each other to turn on simultaneously when one is turned on. However, it seems that the display's "Quick Start" function does the same thing when toggled, which turns on the display when the PS3 is turned on and causes the display to go into standby (blue indicator light turns orange/yellow) when the PS3 is turned off.

[quote name='kitsunisan']Actually, that might depend on the nvidea graphics card being used. My cousin has a 560ti and had no issues getting Arkham City running 3d with it. I have dual 550's but haven't bothered with it just yet.[/QUOTE]

Not to go too far OT.. Thanks, Know of any sources of a workable INF for this? I tried one I found but it did not work. It seemed to flake out the nvidia driver.

[quote name='cagfansub']Wondering if they would pay for the RMA or do you have to pay for shipping?

I hate to see how much it will cost plus insurance since it is such a big box.[/QUOTE]

Other people have said they send you a box and pay for shipping themselves.

Also, the display is now in stock at bestbuy.com with free shipping.

[quote name='jling84']Does anyone know what "HDMI Control: On or Off" actually does? I previously thought that this was what allowed Sony products that are connected to each other to turn on simultaneously when one is turned on. However, it seems that the display's "Quick Start" function does the same thing when toggled, which turns on the display when the PS3 is turned on and causes the display to go into standby (blue indicator light turns orange/yellow) when the PS3 is turned off.[/QUOTE]

HDMI Control lets your PS3 control the TV and vice versa. Turn off the PS3 and the display will power down.

[quote name='KryllFood']If you google "PS3 3D Display Calibration" you'll find a pretty good one on Amazon by someone.

I think mine is set to:

Standard
Backlight: 7
Brightness: 30-40
Contrast: 80s
Sharpness: 1
Color: 45
Temp: Normal

I'm not sure if any crappy remote will do but you can ebay any HD gen Sony TV or Sound System remote. I have an older pre-3d, pre-TruHD Sony surround sound and the remote works right out of the box with my ps3 display. I didn't have to enter any codes or configure it.

From all the research I've done and attempts I've made, it appears for 3D to work on PC you need:

-Older nvidia drivers...I think highest 296
-At least GTX260
-nvidia 3DTV play compatible
-EDID Override driver for monitor

I was attempting with an old 9800GT which worked with the old NVISION system but after running everything I needed, I could only get as far as the setup wizard saying "display not supported" (even w/ inf) or the screen going black w/ a message saying "not supported" (where "no signal" usually appears). I then came to realize that every PC 3D success story seemed to be using 3DTV Play which my video card doesn't support.

I ordered a new vid card (for real cheap cuz i needed an upgrade anyways) and I'll update here w/ my success or lackthereof in getting 3D to work on PC.[/QUOTE]

Can you please provide links to these key points. Did you get your new card yet?

Any idea how to set the psp mode? I plug psp in with component cable, the menu is in full screen but when in game it is not in full screen. If I recall coprrectly, the ps3 display has a psp mode for full screen

[quote name='Xellos2099']Any idea how to set the psp mode? I plug psp in with component cable, the menu is in full screen but when in game it is not in full screen. If I recall coprrectly, the ps3 display has a psp mode for full screen[/QUOTE]
I just sent you a PM, but for anyone else, if you go to Menu -> Screen -> Wide Mode you can select the "PSP Zoom" option.

Decided to use my work bonus, since i met my yearly savings goal, to get this and HD-PVR to start recording my gameplay and start up a youtube channel to help me focus on clearing my backlog. Hope it goes well.

PLUS having 90 day return with my AMEX card is great

[quote name='@FIF']HDMI Control lets your PS3 control the TV and vice versa. Turn off the PS3 and the display will power down.[/QUOTE]

Is this also the function that has the display shut down automatically if there is no signal? I can't express how annoying it was to have the display shut off on me when I was busy removing/attaching a different device (like a PSP)

Ok, I got my replacement TV from BestBuy. It's starting to black out just like the other one did. Starting to regret buying this in the first place.

[quote name='SuperSonic128']Ok, I got my replacement TV from BestBuy. It's starting to black out just like the other one did. Starting to regret buying this in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I thought general consensus was that the BestBuy replacement plan is no good in this situation, and that what you should do is send it to Sony for repairs.

[quote name='spiderdog']Can you please provide links to these key points. Did you get your new card yet?[/QUOTE]

Waiting on the card in the mail, i should have it this week.

As for links, you should be easily able to google them. I never fav'd them and would find them as top google results. As for the "minimum gtx260" point, I forgot that it's any geforce card from that generation, so certain gts also work. you can check:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-system-requirements.html

Look at the graphics cards and see if you have one. To my knowledge, I could not find any info of anyone getting the ps 3d display to work w/ nvision software or emulated emitter.

As for the driver question, on the page w/ the INF, read through the comments. Towards the bottom you'll find people complaining that the newest drivers don't work w/ the inf anymore and you need to use older drivers.

My giant living solutions remote works the display which is awesome. My little pony friendship is magic looks amazing on this display and the 3d is quite good so far my units been working well

Question. I bring my receipt back to best buy to buy the 2 year warranty, however, they ask for the serial number of the unit. Does that mean: If I send the unit in for repair at Sony and if it break again, I am out of luck if Sony replace the unit instead of repair since the serial will be different?

[quote name='Xellos2099']Question. I bring my receipt back to best buy to buy the 2 year warranty, however, they ask for the serial number of the unit. Does that mean: If I send the unit in for repair at Sony and if it break again, I am out of luck if Sony replace the unit instead of repair since the serial will be different?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that sounds about right. If you're going to get a 2 year plan from a retailer, they expect you to exchange it with them first. So you'd basically be returning back to best buy for 2 years (unless you refund) before you would be able to use the manufacturer's warranty.

[quote name='scottman']Other people have said they send you a box and pay for shipping themselves.

Also, the display is now in stock at bestbuy.com with free shipping.[/QUOTE]

I've not been reading this thread recently, but yeah, they do send you a box. I have mine ready to go. Unfortunately it has to go out via Fedex and that means a 20 mile drive to the nearest Fedex store (whereas there is a UPS store 1/2 mile away).

My timeline so far: display died around June 26th. I called in on June 28th, and then got a shipping notice for my coffin on July 2nd. I didn't recieve that box until last Thursday (July 12th). I am sending it out today (hopefully) and at that point can expect it to take at least a week (though more likely 10 days as that's how long it took to get here) to get back to them and then 7-10 business days for them to fix and/or replace it and send it back. So, all in all, it will be well over a month for the whole process.

[quote name='200STM']So far I am enjoying the display and I must say the 3d is nice and in general 1080p looks so beautiful (I'm coming from 480i) I havent had any problems yet but I want to know does Sony charge to fix repair it or does the company warranty cover it when you buy it?

Does anypony know if we can use any regular remote like those 4$ Ann remotes at walmart for this display?[/QUOTE]

I actually just remapped my generic cable box DVR remote to work with it. The code is just the standard Sony 0000.

[quote name='KryllFood']Yeah, that sounds about right. If you're going to get a 2 year plan from a retailer, they expect you to exchange it with them first. So you'd basically be returning back to best buy for 2 years (unless you refund) before you would be able to use the manufacturer's warranty.[/QUOTE]

I too am planning to go back with my receipt and get a warrenty, that would be really lame if it would only start being useful after a year. I guess there's always hope for a blue shirt that only scans the box, not sure if many do more than that...

For a remote, my strenuous logic is telling me to wait for a Wii U and use it's gamepad. Who's with me on this?

[quote name='scottman']Also, the display is now in stock at bestbuy.com with free shipping.[/QUOTE]

Also available at most of my local Best Buy stores, per the website - looks like they restocked, as almost all of them showed as Unavailable the last couple of weeks.

No indication that $199.99 is a sale price, either. So if you're on the fence about this, looks like there's no rush.

Yeah, they definitely restocked. Same situation in the Chicago-land area. I'm hoping they are the new models.

[quote name='Xellos2099']I wonder if the restock are the sony new improved stock or old one with psu issuie[/QUOTE]

I thought for sure buying one from the Sony Store online in May I would have gotten a newer one but apparently that was not the case ;).

I just bought another one from a restocked location, they were sold out everywhere within 100 miles of me. My first one has 5-9 dead/stuck pixels with 3 right smack in the center, so I decided it wasn't worth tolerating and bought another one to stress test next to it for a week before returning the 2nd best and probably buying a warrenty for the other.

I'm going to attempt playing Trine 2 which I got in the steam sale dual monitor 3840x1080 in 3d, probably just side by side, this is going to spell disaster. scott steiner math. :lol:

[quote name='Xellos2099']Question. I bring my receipt back to best buy to buy the 2 year warranty, however, they ask for the serial number of the unit. Does that mean: If I send the unit in for repair at Sony and if it break again, I am out of luck if Sony replace the unit instead of repair since the serial will be different?[/QUOTE]

I specifically asked a couple different CSRs in regards to the warranty still being in effect if I sent it in to Sony, because that is exactly what I plan on doing. I was told that the warranties are based on sku, not serial number. One of the CSRs went as far to say that if I bought 3 of an item, but only ONE warranty, the warranty could be used on any one of said item.

Someone else please feel free to double check with their local CSR, because it would certainly be nice to hear that it is the policy company wide, vs some CSRs just BSin' me :)

Seems to me we don't know for sure that there is a "fixed" version in the new product channel, do we?

I looked at the restocks on the shelf today and they all appeared to have the same model number as people were getting pre-restock (with the _X), FWIW.

[quote name='Koneesha']Yeah, they definitely restocked. Same situation in the Chicago-land area. I'm hoping they are the new models.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']I thought for sure buying one from the Sony Store online in May I would have gotten a newer one but apparently that was not the case ;).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='io']I thought for sure buying one from the Sony Store online in May I would have gotten a newer one but apparently that was not the case ;).[/QUOTE]
So people think Sony will actually improve on the product while continuing to bleed out on it ? There's no way they're turning a profit on this...

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']So people think Sony will actually improve on the product while continuing to bleed out on it ? There's no way they're turning a profit on this...[/QUOTE]

I don't know what people think or why, but there was speculation that the units people get back from repairs work better and thus there is a fixed version out there somewhere. I really have no idea.

I'm not looking forward to getting mine back. While mine failed after a month and a half, it was flawless up to that point - no stuck or dead pixels or any of this flickering nonsense. If I get one back from Sony that has 10 stuck pixels, there probably isn't anything I can do about it.

[quote name='io']I don't know what people think or why, but there was speculation that the units people get back from repairs work better and thus there is a fixed version out there somewhere. I really have no idea.

I'm not looking forward to getting mine back. While mine failed after a month and a half, it was flawless up to that point - no stuck or dead pixels or any of this flickering nonsense. If I get one back from Sony that has 10 stuck pixels, there probably isn't anything I can do about it.[/QUOTE]

Sony has been making good on the repairs, but to assume a general recall in order to resolve this issue is obscene. If it was hazardous to your health, defenitely. As it stands, Sony is just dealing with it case by case. Mine has been getting tons of use, but I'm automatically assuming that it'll crap out eventually. It's an awesome display, I plan on picking up another eventually. I just recommend people keep their old setup on standby.

Just to update...I still don't have my new video card yet but on another note:

If you use the Amazon calibration I posted above, be wary of the brightness level. By dropping the brightness so much, it creates significant ghosting on blacks that move quickly. They leave a small red trail behind as black moves quickly.

I was using a brightness of 40 and pumped it simply to 45 and saw the ghosting disappear almost entirely.

As for the recall / repair issue, sony is pretty good at repairing "known issues" even out of warranty. I had my original fat PS3's blu-ray drive burn out after 2.5 years (bought in 2006, crapped out in 2008). Called Sony and they said they knew launch PS3s were having blu-ray player problems and they'll send me a box to replace it free of charge or for $100, upgrade it to the slim model.

Unfortunately, the model they sent me worked great for another 2.5 years then died of YLOD. I heatgun fixed it for another 6 months - 1 year before giving up on it. Didn't bother to request another service because a friend gave me his PS3.

I think Sony is notorious for inconsistent production quality. My friend had a launch fat PS3, just like mine and put similar hours on it and it hasn't died. Just like this display where several people have a $600 launch unit working flawlessly and others had it black out days after purchase.

[quote name='Untamed Sorrow']Sony has been making good on the repairs, but to assume a general recall in order to resolve this issue is obscene. If it was hazardous to your health, defenitely. As it stands, Sony is just dealing with it case by case.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything in the post you quoted about a recall.

Can someone measure the width of their PS3 3D Display and let me know what it's maximum width is (not the screen, but the display itself)? I've been searching around and haven't seen anything that includes this information. I'm use trying to figure out if it will fit on my desk with my current monitor.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Can someone measure the width of their PS3 3D Display and let me know what it's maximum width is (not the screen, but the display itself)? I've been searching around and haven't seen anything that includes this information. I'm use trying to figure out if it will fit on my desk with my current monitor.[/QUOTE]

Width, at the widest point, is a hair over 25.5".

[quote name='sp00ge']Width, at the widest point, is a hair over 25.5".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='backseatdog']I second that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! Looks like it's gonna be tight.

So far 1 of my 2 have died. Took it back to Best Buy for exchange. On the upside I got another copy of Motorstorm and the Glasses because the employee "didn't want to waste time pulling them out of the box"

[quote name='crazedracerguy']Local BB stil has a bunch of these. I can't talk myself into it after all the issues everyone is having...[/QUOTE]

I think the people who have problems with a product always post and complain repeatedly, while the people who are satisfied move on. I got one for my bedside table, and I love it. I have had it for about three weeks now, used it several hours a night and have no issues yet. I needed a smaller monitor for my Wii, it works out great for both my Wii and ps3. Sucks that it only comes with one set of glasses, and my 3dtv glasses dont work on it.. but other than that I am extremely happy with it so far.

[quote name='fyrflash1969']I think the people who have problems with a product always post and complain repeatedly, while the people who are satisfied move on. I got one for my bedside table, and I love it. I have had it for about three weeks now, used it several hours a night and have no issues yet. I needed a smaller monitor for my Wii, it works out great for both my Wii and ps3. Sucks that it only comes with one set of glasses, and my 3dtv glasses dont work on it.. but other than that I am extremely happy with it so far.[/QUOTE]

Will you promise that if you experience a problem you'll come back to preach to the choir?

I'll chime in. I've had mine for about a week now and done heavy computer monitor usage and light 3D gaming. Had no problems. Took a bit to tweak the settings to get text usable but now it's fine. Colors in text mode are a little off (because I had to tweak the settings so the red would stop bleeding) but I don't notice it.

As a game monitor it looks great. 3D is fine and it's fun to play games in 3D (the main reason I got it). Overall I'm very happy with this. I returned my first one because it had a stuck pixel and got another with no problems so far.

[quote name='Chemosh013']I'll chime in. I've had mine for about a week now and done heavy computer monitor usage and light 3D gaming. Had no problems. Took a bit to tweak the settings to get text usable but now it's fine. Colors in text mode are a little off (because I had to tweak the settings so the red would stop bleeding) but I don't notice it.

As a game monitor it looks great. 3D is fine and it's fun to play games in 3D (the main reason I got it). Overall I'm very happy with this. I returned my first one because it had a stuck pixel and got another with no problems so far.[/QUOTE]

Might I suggest trying Killzone 3 (if you haven't already) .. excellent use of 3D .. most games play like you're looking through a View-master

[quote name='Argento28']Might I suggest trying Killzone 3 (if you haven't already) .. excellent use of 3D .. most games play like you're looking through a View-master[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try that one out. Been playing UC3 and Motorstorm.

I just tried it in side-by-side mode with Trine 2 on the PC @ 720p60 (I didn't bother to try 1080p) and it was pretty sweet. The resolution sucked (which was going to be a given at the lower res + sbs) but I enjoyed seeing 3D on a PC game w/o any monitor or nvidia hacks.

Got around to plugging the display into the HDMI output of my MacBook Pro Retina was was fairly disappointed with the quality as a computer monitor. Obviously it's going to suck compared to the MBPR (there's really nothing else that can compare to it), but it was also noticeably inferior to my DELL monitor (an older model, but high end at the time).

It also doesn't work well on my desk setup because the bottom edge of the display is pretty close to the desk and can't be adjusted vertically, where the bottom edge of my DELL monitor can be raised up nearly 8 or 9 inches above the desk (which makes it viewable above my laptop's screen). I played Conan (new version) via NetFlix streaming and wasn't impressed with the quality, but that could be largely due to a low-quality, STD definition NetFlix stream.

I'll try plugging it in my PS3 tonight to see how things look with and w/o 3D, but right now I'm thinking that if I keep it, it will probably only be as a dedicated gaming display and not as a computer monitor since I'd be giving up too much by swapping out my DELL and can't really use it in combination with my MBPR due to the non-adjustable height of the screen (unless I put it on top of a stack of books or something ugly like that).

I'm kind of frustrated because it sounded like a great concept, but it just falls short in a few key ways that hold it back from excellence in most use cases. As a computer monitor, you can probably get it to be acceptable, especially if you don't already have a monitor or have an old cheap monitor, but it definitely isn't a great computer monitor. As a TV, it falls short because it doesn't have tuner and is a bit too small for most environments where you are more than 3 or 4 feet from the screen. At $600/$500...that's just crazy. At $200, I may keep it around to use as a 3D gaming monitor so I can play games while others watch TV on the big screen in the living room. The 2 HDMI and 2 Component inputs will be sufficient for my PS3, 360 and PSPgo cradle, so it should make a nice setup if I can find a good spot for it in my office.

I bought one of these TVs when Best Buy first sold them at $300. That would be many months ago. I watched Kung Fu Panda 2 and spent about 2 hours playing games in 3D. I don't think I've put those 3D glasses on since.

An update from my last post on pg 31, the new monitor I have has several differences compared to the one I got before the restock. I have them setting right next to eachother now.

1. New one I got has no dead pixels. (yay)
2. The little yellow standby light isn't a dark orange, more like light yellow.

3. The configuration is exactly the same in the picture settings on both, on standard with cool temperature. Except the colors are much different, I plugged 2 different ps3s through hdmi with also the same display settings in the XMB and was looking at 1080p photos. The one I got before restock is much more vivid or pink toned. I thought it had better colors at first, but looking at some of the web pages in a dual monitor display I set up with a 5770, the whites are all pinkish and its annoying. The new display may be tinted too green though. If this proves one thing it is that adjusting your display according to some review could yield completely different results.

3b. I have the before restock display hooked up through dvi and will swap it around to see if it makes a difference, for some reason through my dvi converter the color space is reduced to crap at 60hz, but setting it 50hz seems to remedy this. It may just be certain pictures like the desktop picture are reduced to crap, because I didn't notice it playing games. Which brings me to...

3c. I took a couple screenshots of some games running in dual monitor resolutions.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993148989/screenshots/
It seemed to work alright with no game breaking stutter, but when your trine character and guns ritical is basically in the middle of both screens it is pretty lousy gameplay. I wanted to play trine 2 with dual monitor AND 3D though, even though the 3d seemed to work fine on the hdmi display, my dvi converter rendered the other unable to switch to side by side or any 3d mode.:cry:

4. I did an input lag test using http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html and took a picture, and it was identical every time. So, It's not that different...

5. The serial on the box that starts with S01 ends in A on the newly restocked display I have, and H on the older one. May mean something.

I think I'll keep the new display for the lack of dead pixels, weird that the colors seem more vivid on the other though. I've tried to get the new display to look identical messing about with all the picture settings, but havn't had much luck yet. The other always looks a little richer color. Although, looking at these pinkish white web pages, maybe I've been trying to duplicate wrong colors. I'll still mess about for a few days, probably will look for something that tested contrast.

Oh fuck..
After 3 weeks, my PS3 3D TV finally died with black screen of death. After turning on after 50-60mins... it is starting to blink like crazy.

Going to have to return this to BB this weekend.

Now, we know why Sony is allowing retailers to reduce this to $199.

you are lucky mine died exactly after 31 days. i just feel bad for all the idiots who jumped on this scam TV deal.

[quote name='kart007k']you are lucky mine died exactly after 31 days. i just feel bad for all the idiots who jumped on this scam TV deal.[/QUOTE]

Why is he lucky? Isn't 31 day still within the RMA?

bread's done
Back