Playstation 3D Display $199.99 at GameStop & Best Buy

Kingmob46

CAGiversary!
Gamestop

Best Buy

Edit 5: Seems Best Buy is back in stock, Newegg is now $249.

Edit 4: [damn this thread won't die!] Newegg is now @ $199 [free ship, not tax for most, also Shoprunner eligible] Best Buy still has it @ $199 but it is back-ordered on .com, check for stock in store. Thanks to TheTruth1983 [that you Paul?] for the Newegg info!

EDIT 3: Now dead at Best Buy, YMMV Price Match?

EDIT 2: This does not include the extra glasses/MLB bundle at either location. Just the monitor, 1 pair of glasses, and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Thank you to all the posting Caggers for the updates!

Ok, Don't kill the messenger,this is just a kindly FYI service, the Playstation 3D display/bundle [what ever they have in stock] will be $199 next week.

Buy 4 and use them to prop up your bed for extra storage :bouncy:

EDIT:
I will just add this bit of information, though we will not be able to confirm it until the 27th. When I was talking to the GS employee who told me about this sale last week; he indicated that GS was "clearing out" the stock on hand and that what ever stock/bundle he had was going to be $199. Again, I CANNOT CONFIRM THIS. However, I will be in that store Wednesday morning just in case the bundles [with extra games/glasses] are $199.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Can you pricematch if you bought in the last 30 days at a Bestbuy store?[/QUOTE]
Yes u can....which I plan on doing

Me tooo! That's if I can't find a Kmart that has it at 150, and if not $20 back is better than nothing. Already scored a pair of glasses for $20 at Kmart. The hunt continues...

Damn, Kmart doesn't even seem to list it on their website. My Best Buy still has them in stock, I'd rather PM there than randomly drive around looking in at Kmarts.

Yo im at the store in Montgomeryville PA. Lookin at a label for $179.99 for motor storm apoc bundle.

Edit: I was goin by thread title. Spose its no surprise its $179

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a reminder, these are poorly made and die quite often. You should only consider purchasing with an extended warranty as the Sony warranty is only 90 days.

As I've said before, the picture quality is amazing and the 3d is awesome, but there is something wrong with how they were manufactured and they just don't last

[quote name='computingwarren']Is this worth it at this price? My friend needs a decent size TV like this, with 1080p.[/QUOTE]

It does not have a TV tuner built in, but if you have a satellite receiver or cable box, it should work just fine.

Mine has been terrific for the few months that I've owned it.

Amazon says this launched Nov 2011 (less than a year ago) at $500, and now it's $150 - $180. Makes the 3DS price drop look minimal. Maybe I'll wait on that WiiU after all.

Oh, I'm stopping by Kmart tomorrow, $150 is my price point. thanks

Just got back from best buy and bought one of these for $180!! Plus I got the 4-year warranty for an extra $30 so I'm pretty happy with my purchase :)

So tempting. Still. Whenever I see 3D compatible games or Blu Rays, I want this so hard.

Thanks for letting us know this is still alive!

Well decided to just buy one from BB for $180.

Local Kmarts were out of stock and I hate getting a price match in store since they make it a hassle and are often jersk about it - I'll try calling best buy tomorrow for an adjustment since I ordered online for store pick up, If I don't get it then no big deal, I actually like it and for $180 it's great. If I get it then even better.

PS. I've only tried it as a computer monitor so far and it's not that bad, pretty good so far actually but I can't get the 3D to work, my ATI drivers think it's 60Hz and that third party driver that supposedly worked for this is discontinued.

[quote name='Mugatu']Well decided to just buy one from BB for $180.

Local Kmarts were out of stock and I hate getting a price match in store since they make it a hassle and are often jersk about it - I'll try calling best buy tomorrow for an adjustment since I ordered online for store pick up, If I don't get it then no big deal, I actually like it and for $180 it's great. If I get it then even better.

PS. I've only tried it as a computer monitor so far and it's not that bad, pretty good so far actually but I can't get the 3D to work, my ATI drivers think it's 60Hz and that third party driver that supposedly worked for this is discontinued.[/QUOTE]

Idk how it would set up on a PC but I've figured out to get the 3D to work on the PS3, you just have to hold down the power button until you here it beep a second time and it should ask you when the screen starts up if you want to activate the 3D or something like that

[quote name='NEP']Just a reminder, these are poorly made and die quite often. You should only consider purchasing with an extended warranty as the Sony warranty is only 90 days.[/QUOTE]
Wrong, the Sony warranty is for 1 year.

[quote name='Mugatu']PS. I've only tried it as a computer monitor so far and it's not that bad, pretty good so far actually but I can't get the 3D to work, my ATI drivers think it's 60Hz and that third party driver that supposedly worked for this is discontinued.[/QUOTE]
The monitor only has 60hz input, no way around that. You need to use a frame packed 3D format in order to get full resolution in 3D, but the only formats it supports for that are 720p at 30hz or 60hz, or 1080p at 24hz. I'm not sure how to do that on an ATI card though.

Sorely tempted to buy this just so I could watch Avengers in 3D
...I wonder if a local Kmart still has it for $150 so I can pricematch

I know that I asked everyone earlier in the thread that if they didnt want their motorstorm copy that I would want it but since it dropped to 17.99 used (16 with card) at gamestop recently I picked that up with some spare credit so now I dont need it :)

Can somebody with this display help me? I'm trying to charge my glasses with my PS3 but they won't. I have the battery switched to ON and when I plug them in to my PS3, the red light will turn on for a couple seconds, then just turn off. I know they re not fully charged because when I unplug them the red light flashes repeatedly. I have tried calling sonys CS but they told me all they can recommend me doing is going to the store with the receipt and exchange them but I would really like to know if there's another option before I drive to BB again

I would try and charge them with your PC. I've done that with them each time and never had an issue.

Also, as far as the tuner boxes go, as long as you have HDMI or Component cables for them, I shouldn't see a reason why they wouldn't work.

[quote name='MaryMaryMary']Can somebody with this display help me? I'm trying to charge my glasses with my PS3 but they won't. I have the battery switched to ON and when I plug them in to my PS3, the red light will turn on for a couple seconds, then just turn off. I know they re not fully charged because when I unplug them the red light flashes repeatedly. I have tried calling sonys CS but they told me all they can recommend me doing is going to the store with the receipt and exchange them but I would really like to know if there's another option before I drive to BB again[/QUOTE]

Is your ps3 on? May be a stupid question but figured you gotta start the troubleshooting somewhere

I have had 2 crap out on me. I buy a small warranty with BB each time. They never ask for the game back or the 3d glasses, so I am building a collection of the 3d glasses

I want this monitor for my second desktop I'm currently putting together. Hopefully it hits $100 then I'm sold, lol. $150-$180 isn't a bad price though.

i didn't get the replacement plan but now I wonder if I should, anyone know if you can buy one post-purchase? I don't think it would be a problem but the store is out of the way so if I can't I'd rather not waste a trip.

I've been curious about this display for awhile and $180 doesn't sound like such a bad deal, but I just read that it doesn't come with a remote..which is fine since I have the Sony BR Remote, but does that remote allow you to turn the volume up and down? I'm at work so I can't see..

I bought the Sony BR remote, the one with the 3D button, that one adjusts the volume and lets you access the tv menu. No more reaching around the back of the monitor. Before I bought the remote I was using an older programmable cable remote and it did everything I needed as well (just didn't have that 3D button).

Well I couldn't get a price match - none of the Kmarts within a 25 mile radius of my home have it in stock. No big deal, I like it for $180 but $150 would have been nicer.

[quote name='psunami']Rise from your grave!!!!

The monitor is now $179.99[/QUOTE]

was that intended to be an altered beasts reference? lol That's what I thought of when I saw it.

Great price for this. I'd def. grab one if it goes a little lower, I have plenty of BB credit!

[quote name='shadowkast']Is your ps3 on? May be a stupid question but figured you gotta start the troubleshooting somewhere[/QUOTE]

Yes it is lol. How long do the glasses usually take to fully charge?

[quote name='tukai']I have had 2 crap out on me. I buy a small warranty with BB each time. They never ask for the game back or the 3d glasses, so I am building a collection of the 3d glasses[/QUOTE]

Haha now I can't wait for mine to crap on me, I need another pair of glasses but I'm not spending $70 more bucks, oh and the game trades in to best buy for $10 base so you can trade it in and basically get this monitor for $160 which is an awesome deal!!!

[quote name='Mugatu']i didn't get the replacement plan but now I wonder if I should, anyone know if you can buy one post-purchase? I don't think it would be a problem but the store is out of the way so if I can't I'd rather not waste a trip.[/QUOTE]

I think they give you 30 days to get the extended warranty.

[quote name='Mugatu']i didn't get the replacement plan but now I wonder if I should, anyone know if you can buy one post-purchase? I don't think it would be a problem but the store is out of the way so if I can't I'd rather not waste a trip.[/QUOTE]

Due to the problems with the display I would advise against the Best Buy warranty. If yours goes out and they still have them in stock more than likely they will give you a replacement display in which you will need to purchase another warranty for. The chances are good that the replacement display will have the same problem as the first and the vicious circle will never end. Also I believe Best Buy still has the "comparable technology" clause in their warranties which means they give you a percentage of the purchase price should they no longer sell the item, towards the purchase of a new display.

I have no first hand experience with the warranties and only found out about the clause by overhearing a conversation with an angry customer while waiting at customer service. Personally I would save the money and just go with Sony's service instead.

[quote name='pablo escobar']I bought the Sony BR remote, the one with the 3D button, that one adjusts the volume and lets you access the tv menu. No more reaching around the back of the monitor. Before I bought the remote I was using an older programmable cable remote and it did everything I needed as well (just didn't have that 3D button).[/QUOTE]

I know I asked this before. I also have the Sony BR remote v2. My 3D button (in TV mode) does nothing to the Playstation Display. I still need to reach in the back for side by side 3d. Is my button broken or made for other tvs? Thanks.

[quote name='pablo escobar']I bought the Sony BR remote, the one with the 3D button, that one adjusts the volume and lets you access the tv menu. No more reaching around the back of the monitor. Before I bought the remote I was using an older programmable cable remote and it did everything I needed as well (just didn't have that 3D button).[/QUOTE]

I thought the CIA killed you...

El Patron lives!

If I have both the ps3 and tv on and push the 3D button the display will cycle from 3d auto, 3d side-by-side, 3d top-and-bottom. Same as if I pushed the button on the back.

Every time I push the 3d button on the remote the tv button on the remote blinks, if it doesn't blink on your remote maybe it is broken?

[quote name='Pounce!']I know I asked this before. I also have the Sony BR remote v2. My 3D button (in TV mode) does nothing to the Playstation Display. I still need to reach in the back for side by side 3d. Is my button broken or made for other tvs? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have to wait a second between button presses before it actually changes modes on mine, should cycle from full to side by side then top and bottom, but if it does nothing at all then it might be defective.

Edit: ninja'd hehe

Thanks for the troubleshoot. 3D remote button doesnt light up the TV mode button, so guess it's defective, thankfully not the display.

BTW, the active glasses are now $30.

[quote name='Pounce!']Thanks for the troubleshoot. 3D remote button doesnt light up the TV mode button, so guess it's defective, thankfully not the display.

BTW, the active glasses are now $30.[/QUOTE]

$30???? Where? They appear to be $49.99 at BB?

So what is the consensus on this monitor? I can get it for $180 at a Best Buy 60 miles away, and I'm definitely willing to make the trip tomorrow if I can use it to play games in 3D on my PC. I currently have an ATI Radeon 6970 and would love to try and play some games in 3D. I've heard this is possible but the games have to be run in 720P, which I have no problem with (can I still use AA?).

Also, is it only newer games that support 3D? I'd really love to play some of my older titles, like UT2004.

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy and have no problem using hacked drivers if that's what's needed to get this working. I just feel like this is a sign because earlier today I was playing UT2004 and using my 3DS during map loads and said to myself "man I'd love to play UT2004 in 3D" then I came across this thread a few hours later.

[quote name='ManCannon']So what is the consensus on this monitor? I can get it for $180 at a Best Buy 60 miles away, and I'm definitely willing to make the trip tomorrow if I can use it to play games in 3D on my PC. I currently have an ATI Radeon 6970 and would love to try and play some games in 3D. I've heard this is possible but the games have to be run in 720P, which I have no problem with (can I still use AA?).

Also, is it only newer games that support 3D? I'd really love to play some of my older titles, like UT2004.

I'm a pretty tech savvy guy and have no problem using hacked drivers if that's what's needed to get this working. I just feel like this is a sign because earlier today I was playing UT2004 and using my 3DS during map loads and said to myself "man I'd love to play UT2004 in 3D" then I came across this thread a few hours later.[/QUOTE]

I don't have much experience with gaming in 3D for PC games mainly because I don't have a graphics card that supports 3D. I do own this monitor and have a handful of 3D games and 3D blu-ray movies. The monitor is good for gaming but as a PC monitor it isn't that great. I am sure you probably have like a nice 1920 x 1200 display. I currently have one and use it as my main monitor while I have the 3D monitor right next to it to sometimes extend my desktop but mostly I use it to game on Xbox 360 or PS3.

That being said, the 3D is good on the monitor. I still think 3D isn't necessary yet but it does add depth to the game. I think I used it the most on Gears of War 3 for 360 and it added a lot of depth while playing multiplayer. I still want to get around to playing my other 3D games like Uncharted 3 and all the future releases that should support 3D as well. I definitely like the 3D more on the monitor when compared to the 3DS. Whenever I game on my 3DS, I always turn off the 3D because it just bugs me. I mean you have to view it from a certain angle and while it can be great, I feel it's just more of a hassle.

I think $199 is definitely a good price point. I paid MSRP when this monitor came out which I believe was $500. I had a handful of gift cards and when I bought it I got Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, and Motorstorm: Apocalypse so it wasn't THAT bad of a deal. Still, the price point now is great but you could always argue putting that $199 towards a full fledged television rather than a monitor.

My cousin tried mine out with his pc, had to do a little configuring, but didn't need any hacked drivers to work with his 570 graphics card. He hadn't updated his drivers to the latest, don't know if that makes a difference.

bread's done
Back