PlayStation 3D Display Bundle - $299.99 at Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I considered buying the PlayStation 3D Display for $500 + $100 PS3 last week, but I wasn't desperate for another PS3. While randomly checking Best Buy online this morning, I saw it at $399.99. I bought on impulse. I checked in-store and it's on sale there too, even if it wasn't advertised (I didn't spot it in the ad).

EDIT: Now it's $299.99 at Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Co...d=2891051&st=playstation 3d display&cp=1&lp=1

Amazon is still $399.00, but I expect a price drop.
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323720517&sr=1-1

I'm betting it's a weekly sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Serious McMopy']I can, but that's because I am less than 4 feet away from my gaming TV, and I cannot really fit any bigger than that, regardless.

With that being said, the 3D element does not really interest me.[/QUOTE]

Ur missing out. 3D is such a great addition to the gaming world. Just for the added depth and immersion. I wish every game were 3d. Was so glad gears 3 and halo anniversary have stepped things up on the 360 side as well.

Amazon has matched the deal:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323720517&sr=1-1
[quote name='Logical Dolphin']IMO Sony should just sell the display for $300 without anything extra (no HDMI, no game, no glasses). That way one can get a goo display for a reasonable price (for a Sony product) and add glasses and games as they see fit and want to enjoy those features...[/QUOTE]

They bundle a game to add value. Including MotorStorm only costs them the price of packaging. 3D glasses don't really cost much to include and neither does HDMI. The extra costs is mostly there to give the retailer some profit.

I was very interested in this when it was first announced.

1st, Sony was going to include Resistance 3 and then bailed on it at the last minute.
2nd, For a $500 device, Best Buy did zero demoing of the item.
They always had about 20 sitting around but they never bothered to hook one up for people to test it?
That was a bad sign in my opinion.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Amazon has matched the deal:

They bundle a game to add value. Including MotorStorm only costs them the price of packaging. 3D glasses don't really cost much to include and neither does HDMI. The extra costs is mostly there to give the retailer some profit.[/QUOTE]

I agree the bundle adds "value", but it also helps Sony justify selling this display at a higher price.

I'm sure the retailers would rather prefer that they sell the display at a low prices, and then potentially have the option of selling accessories with it (which has a high profit margin). Just like the console selling model...

Reading through the comments, some of you really are cheap asses lol...

This is a good deal imo, the tv size isn't a problem at all to me, especially since im in the fighting game community and we are used to playing on monitors around this size sometimes smaller. Imo big tvs are good for media, not gaming, especially for hardcore gamers like myself.

Also I heard the glasses that come with this are legit, sorry I dont know much about 3D but a review said they were some kind of glasses that were good. People saying this should be $200 are on drugs, the 19 inch blacklight led monitors run for a little less than that and they arent 3D.

[quote name='Zimmy']I was very interested in this when it was first announced.

1st, Sony was going to include Resistance 3 and then bailed on it at the last minute.
They always had about 20 sitting around but they never bothered to hook one up for people to test it?
That was a bad sign in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

They might Not have demoed it at first, I cannot say wether they did or not, but the 3 best buys ive been to this week all had demos of the tv with a video playing showing the simul view.

The best buy I was at today still had the sign out from last weak saying 150 bucks off Playstation 3 with purchase, I'm sure it was a mistake though.

My local store has had one on display with the glasses for a while. I guess it just depends on the store.

The next closest BB to me has one of these running for the PS3 display kiosk in-store. So maybe your store did the same. This item has about the same shape as the PSP, so it IS kinda unique and does stand out.

I kinda want one of these, but I don't know why. I have a 55" Sony 3D TV, I'm mainly wanting something to game on besides my 15" laptop. I have a 21" iMac well but I'd still like something a little bigger. What do you guys game on that have laptops only?

Honestly, there are some LCD monitors out there with HDMI and built in speakers in the 20+ inch range that run around two bills or so that are halfway decent. That's what I was playing my PS3 on before I got my 32" LCD HDtv on BF.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']It's a great price but that 24 inches is kinda disappointing. I wish Sony offered different levels of models like a 24, maybe a 32, and so on.[/QUOTE]yeah, when I ask the Sony rep at BB he knew his $hit but said the cost that would want people to pay would be $1200-$1400 for a 32"-37" & $1800-$2500 for 42"-47". But my response to him was people will pay for quality if there's enough perceived value. Yeah, there's sub $1000 42" tv's but not with all the other features & with such a small screen you completely alienate a larger portion of people who might actually splurge on it.

[quote name='jer7583']wow. Between the move firesales and this 3D TV price bomba, sony really isn't having a great holiday for their 3D/Move push.[/QUOTE]The more they sell the more than try to convince devs to put effort into games for it. It only takes 1 game then you know other will copycat just look at the dance/music/FPS/seguel fest this year. If they can get a top notch AAA move title using a Sony exclusive character along with a unique way to implement move that'll be the start. Move heroes was to be the casual game to start it all but it wasn't

[quote name='kinney_bmx']This
Give me a 32" version with good remote and tuner for $500 and I'd be game[/QUOTE]yes please:wave:

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Can this tv use with new Sony ps3 remote?[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, the new remote works. Also, I'm sure I have probably called it a tv too, but in case you ddidnt know, it's not really a tv because it doesn't have a built in tuner.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Can this tv use with new Sony ps3 remote?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I picked up the new remote for $15 with the monitor/ps3 bundle at best buy last week, and it works great with the tv. (It's listed right on the box as being for the 3d display too)

Also, confirmed what I had read from an earlier poster, took my receipt back to Best Buy, and got $107 refund from buying the bundle with the PS3 last week. So the display with the PS3 (got the Harry Potter bundle) for $499. much happier with that price.

[quote name='JediKiller24']
Also, confirmed what I had read from an earlier poster, took my receipt back to Best Buy, and got $107 refund from buying the bundle with the PS3 last week. So the display with the PS3 (got the Harry Potter bundle) for $499. much happier with that price.[/QUOTE]

Damn, nice deal. Makes me wonder if I should go back to the best buy that still had last weeks sign up for 150 off ps3 with the display and try and get them to give me that price. Kind of hoping amazon will have it at 499 though before xmas.

I took a picture today of my TV after I unboxed it.
PSTV.jpg

I will say that it seemed bigger than I expected. To warn those with larger heads, the 3D glasses may fit very tight (I have a skinny head so it doesn't matter). I tried playing MotorStorm Apocalypse (my original copy since I already owned the game) and Sonic Generations. MotorStorm Apocalypse was amazing just how everything popped out. Sonic Generations was pretty cool too, but took a little adjusting to get the 3D setting I want (Sonic moving fast can make it tricky). Once I try out all my 3D games (I have a bunch) and get another pair of 3D glasses (and invite a CAG friend over), I may blog my full detailed impressions of the display.

I want this but I can't think of a good reason why I should get it.

Sure, I want to watch some 3d movies and play some 3d games, but when I have a tv twice as big sitting in the same room and I'm getting old and going blind for all that masturbating I did as a kid - I just don't see why I should be looking at a 24" tv.

Would love to have this in our bedroom but already got a 22 Samsung for our bedroom using our miles and my desk only fits a 21.5. Maybe if this drops to 299 and includes an extra pair of glasses I may pull the trigger and give my Samsung to my sister.

[quote name='Radewagon']In case you guys are curious, I did a pretty thorough review of this display a few weeks back.

Link[/QUOTE]

Great review! I might consider this if we ever decide to get another bedroom TV.

24" led with no remote or tv tuner. Hmm, pass.

I don't care if it has simulview. My 55" lcd probably STILL has a bigger viewing area than the whole 24" with each person having their own screen.

I love the tech, but they should have really thrown it on a 46" or something also for 1k and give people options. I bet a 47" at 1k would sell way better than the 24" at 500, and not cost them too much more to make.

By the way, with all the 24" is too small talk, has anyone said "That's what she said" yet?

Any idea how this would compare to the LG DM2350D-PUM the 250$ 3d monitor? I ordered the LG but its backordered for a few weeks. If the the Playstation Display is better I'll get that instead. This will be used for my PS3 and a secondary monitor.

[quote name='kixelsid']Any idea how this would compare to the LG DM2350D-PUM the 250$ 3d monitor? I ordered the LG but its backordered for a few weeks. If the the Playstation Display is better I'll get that instead. This will be used for my PS3 and a secondary monitor.[/QUOTE]

I would get the LG monitor, because it has more features like 2D to 3D conversion, and it uses the passive 3D technology. The only thing I like about the Sony display is that is has the glossy screen, where the LG does not.

I'm amazed that this LG TV has dropped so fast, and it proves that a smaller 3DTV can sell for much less than what Sony is charging.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']To me, none of that matters. It's 24"...stupid small. Waste of money at almost any price.[/QUOTE]

And this is the problem... no matter what the specs of this set are - it's too small.

I am sure that the small design team playing in small r&d centers in Japan thought it was adequate for play in small Japanese apartments - but they messed up.

Some points I'ld like to make after researching this thing the past few months.

1. The price is comparable when compared to other 3D monitors. Not great, but Sony always marks their stuff up like Apple b/c they're Sony and they can. This has a built in sub woofer as well.
2. I have never ever seen Sony advertise this as a tv. Not in ads or on the blog. They always say "display". Considering every screen in the past 50 years has been advertised as a "tv" or "monitor" Sony may have created it's own "display" category with this device to get around both PC monitor and tv regulations - no tv tuner or remote or whatever a computer monitor requires.
3. I agree with the guy who said small screens are great for FPS but Skyrim is best on a big screen tv. I don't recall every add I've seen but they do focus on FPS, not Ratchet and Clank.
4. The screen is too small for dual-view. Great idea, but nobody can game that close together.
5. This is obviously made as a PS3 "display" so I would be surprised if a built in PS3 isn't forthcoming. Maybe after the PS4 comes out. (I hadn't actually thought of this before but it beats my idea of simply making this a "smart' tv w/ web access.)
6. My wife was just saying the other day we might have to get ours sons - 6 and 9 - their own tvs soon so we can have our 52" set to ourselves. I think thats who this "display" is aimed for, teen boys bedrooms and dorms. If you pay your own rent this probably isn't for you.

I don't know if you guys know about SimulView, but the SimulView feature only works with 4 games. Those 4 games are Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3 and Super Stardust 3D.

This is unconfirmed, but I read somewhere that when sharing a SimulView screen you're viewing it in 3D glasses, but you're getting a normal 2D picture, not 3D. It doesn't do two 3D displays at the same time.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/simul-view.html

[quote name='horns456']
This is unconfirmed, but I read somewhere that when sharing a SimulView screen you're viewing it in 3D glasses, but you're getting a normal 2D picture, not 3D. It doesn't do two 3D displays at the same time.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/simul-view.html[/QUOTE]

This is correct. They have demo units at best buy that show off the simulview in a video of motorstorm. It works very well and Best Buy markets this aspect of the display more than anything.

[quote name='horns456']I don't know if you guys know about SimulView, but the SimulView feature only works with 4 games. Those 4 games are Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3 and Super Stardust 3D.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/simul-view.html[/QUOTE]

LOL. Typical Sony hype something up, and then barely support the product! Every "accessory" they have ever made has been the same story. And yes I do consider this display an accessory

[quote name='kixelsid']Any idea how this would compare to the LG DM2350D-PUM the 250$ 3d monitor? I ordered the LG but its backordered for a few weeks. If the the Playstation Display is better I'll get that instead. This will be used for my PS3 and a secondary monitor.[/QUOTE]

The viewing angles on this thing are HORRIBLE. It takes a bit of time trying to figure out where to sit to get the perfect 3d effect. I was also interested in the LG because of the price. Its not as nice as the PS3 display, IMO.

[quote name='KevinMassacre']The viewing angles on this thing are HORRIBLE. It takes a bit of time trying to figure out where to sit to get the perfect 3d effect. I was also interested in the LG because of the price. Its not as nice as the PS3 display, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Viewing angle is horrible on the LG or PS3 display?

[quote name='caltab']
The best buy I was at today still had the sign out from last weak saying 150 bucks off Playstation 3 with purchase, I'm sure it was a mistake though.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from picking up my Saints Row the third order, and noticed the signs for the $150 off the PS3 were still up at my store too....could it still be active? (didn't ask at the store, there was no one readily available and since I bought it last week, I wasn't going to track someone down over it. Figured if it's not still valid I wasn't going to bring it their attention in case someone tried to get the deal honored since the sign is up...)

[quote name='JediKiller24']Just got back from picking up my Saints Row the third order, and noticed the signs for the $150 off the PS3 were still up at my store too....could it still be active? (didn't ask at the store, there was no one readily available and since I bought it last week, I wasn't going to track someone down over it. Figured if it's not still valid I wasn't going to bring it their attention in case someone tried to get the deal honored since the sign is up...)[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure its not still valid, it doesnt show up on their website. I dont think I want the deal THAT bad to haggle with best buy for it. Ill just keep on waiting for a deal at the new price point.

[quote name='Drathu']499 :shame:
399 :whistle2:k
299 :pray:[/QUOTE]
$199 or less\\:D/:whee:

That's MY pricepoint on this overpriced bitch.:razz: Now if they threw a PS3 in at $299, I might consider it.:booty:

[quote name='KevinMassacre']the LG has bad viewing angles[/QUOTE]

Do you feel the same way about the larger LG 3D displays? I found that they had pretty good viewing angles. Since this smaller display is using simular technology as the big one, I would think it should be simular...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']Do you feel the same way about the larger LG 3D displays? I found that they had pretty good viewing angles. Since this smaller display is using simular technology as the big one, I would think it should be simular...[/QUOTE]

Well i havent seen a lot of the passive tvs. I am in the market for a 3D monitor for my office to use as a second display for my macbook pro, and I figured why not get one that does 3d and ill hook my PS3 up to it too. Ive only seen the 23" lg and the ps3 display. between the 2, the ps3 is a lot nicer and better quality. I just noticed a sort of double vision hazy effect with the lg and had to move around to find the "sweet spot." The PS3 display didnt have that problem. On the other hand, i still havent bought it yet, so I dont know the difference between active and passive when it comes to playing for more than 15 mins or so. I hear the active shutters can give you a headache. I just sold a ton of my vintage game collection, so I might go pick up the ps3 display in the morning.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']$199 or less\\:D/:whee:

That's MY pricepoint on this overpriced bitch.:razz: Now if they threw a PS3 in at $299, I might consider it.:booty:[/QUOTE]

$199 for a 24-inch 3D ready LED TV with 1 pair of glasses and a game included? Best of luck to you and yours.

[quote name='KevinMassacre']Well i havent seen a lot of the passive tvs. I am in the market for a 3D monitor for my office to use as a second display for my macbook pro, and I figured why not get one that does 3d and ill hook my PS3 up to it too. Ive only seen the 23" lg and the ps3 display. between the 2, the ps3 is a lot nicer and better quality. I just noticed a sort of double vision hazy effect with the lg and had to move around to find the "sweet spot." The PS3 display didnt have that problem. On the other hand, i still havent bought it yet, so I dont know the difference between active and passive when it comes to playing for more than 15 mins or so. I hear the active shutters can give you a headache. I just sold a ton of my vintage game collection, so I might go pick up the ps3 display in the morning.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have that issue with the larger LG passive 3DTVs I have seen demoed. The next time you go to Best Buy you should demo the LG and see if you see the same issue. This might be a case of your individual impression may be different than mine.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I didn't have that issue with the larger LG passive 3DTVs I have seen demoed. The next time you go to Best Buy you should demo the LG and see if you see the same issue. This might be a case of your individual impression may be different than mine.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so. But I'm not interested in 3D all that much. I have a 55" Panasonic in my living room, and my wife thinks 3d is stupid. Being the huge tech geek I am, I figured a nice little personal 3d set-up in my office that doubles as a dual display for my macbook pro would be perfect to scratch the 3d gaming itch. So far, I would take the ps3 display over the lg monitor, but as far as larger hdtv's go, you may be right. I could possibly enjoy the larger lg models. There is also an acer 3d monitor that is ps3 compatible that I'd like to check out. I do want to check out more passive tvs though.

[quote name='Drathu']$199 for a 24-inch 3D ready LED TV with 1 pair of glasses and a game included? Best of luck to you and yours.[/QUOTE]
First off, it doesn't have a tuner in it, so it couldn't qualify as a tv. Second, I don't like the choice of game it comes with since I'm not into racing at all. Third, I've tried 3-D at HHGregg on a much bigger display model tv and it gave me a frickin' headache after 20 minutes of standing there watching it. So I'd likely sell the glasses and game to further offset my cost out of pocket. Since it's only really a monitor, $200 or so is the max I'd pay for one, so that's why I said $200.;)

[quote name='KevinMassacre']Maybe so. But I'm not interested in 3D all that much. I have a 55" Panasonic in my living room, and my wife thinks 3d is stupid. Being the huge tech geek I am, I figured a nice little personal 3d set-up in my office that doubles as a dual display for my macbook pro would be perfect to scratch the 3d gaming itch. So far, I would take the ps3 display over the lg monitor, but as far as larger hdtv's go, you may be right. I could possibly enjoy the larger lg models. There is also an acer 3d monitor that is ps3 compatible that I'd like to check out. I do want to check out more passive tvs though.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it is still up at Best Buy, but LG had a amazing 3D demo for their larger 3D display. It was an clip for a 3D IMAX movie "Under the Sea", in it there was a large fish that seemed to project 4 feet out from the surface of the TV, it was an amazing effect. If you are a member of Costco, they may have 3D demo set up for LG as well...

[quote name='KevinMassacre']The viewing angles on this thing are HORRIBLE. It takes a bit of time trying to figure out where to sit to get the perfect 3d effect. I was also interested in the LG because of the price. Its not as nice as the PS3 display, IMO.[/QUOTE]

This review agrees with your assesment:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/au.../plasma-and-lcd-tvs/lg-dm2350d-1043128/review

That might be the reason it got marked down so much so soon. I may buy it anyway so I can see it for myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back