PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

I feel like I'm beginning to have second thoughts about getting a PS4 now. I have a giant backlog of Steam games I still haven't even started let alone finish. And as I think about it the only game I want exclusively is going to be Killzone and I don't even "Want" it I just think it looks good.

On topic, I was in Walmart today and asked about getting a PS4. They said that pre-orders were cut-off but that they were expecting more units then what pre-orders were cut at. So I know where I'll be at midnight on launch day...

meh, i would just keep almost any console. I don't see a reason in selling them. They never really drop that far below their original price, especially this late in the lifecycle. People will be selling PS3s for $100 for the next 3-4 years just because of the blu ray and media capabilities.

So what games are people buying?

I'm getting Killzone, and maybe knack depending on reviews. If not knack then Probably need for speed if it gets good reviews. I have a $50 sony store gift card to use so i want to get a second game.
I'm getting KZ, COD, BF3 and Madden. Also looking forward to Resogun.

I've been looking for a pre-order for a while, I'm guessing it isn't going to happen... I don't know which store to go to at Midnight release :(((

I have a Target, Gamestop, Walmart, and Best Buy all close by. I'm not going to camp out for days, but I'll probably get there 3-4 hours early and just play my 3DS lol. Do you guys think I'd be able to snatch a PS4 on shelf?

Knack is really starting to pick up steam the more people see of it. I wasn't too high on it until I saw a lot of the latest gameplay and heard that it's actually a bit challenging. I went ahead and preordered it after that.

Also it might be an error, but BB is listing Knack and Killzone as 11/8 release date titles, which is a bit interesting.
nah, it's normal nowadays to release games and accessories prior to launch. Guess it's to make it easier for retailers to keep stock up.

Sony released vita games early, as well as the dualshock 4. It doesn't really make a difference for anyone though.

Been reading nothing but positive reviews from people who got the DS4 early. I'm Really tempted to run out and buy one from GS but I gotta resist lol As far as launch titles go I'm getting KZ, BF4, and possibly Knack. That game has really grown on me since being announced. I'm also hoping for BF sales on the cross gen games like NFS. Planning to get a Wii U as well. Man, its going be an expensive November lol Less then 3 weeks away!!! :bouncy:

Been reading nothing but positive reviews from people who got the DS4 early. I'm Really tempted to run out and buy one from GS but I gotta resist lol As far as launch titles go I'm getting KZ, BF4, and possibly Knack. That game has really grown on me since being announced. I'm also hoping for BF sales on the cross gen games like NFS. Planning to get a Wii U as well. Man, its going be an expensive November lol Less then 3 weeks away!!! :bouncy:
I got mine early and it's a lot nicer than the DS3. Probably not worth rushing out to get, but certainly something to be excited about.

Turtle Beach PX4 is the launch headset for the PS4 and it looks pretty nice. It's about $150, and I've been thinking of getting one myself but haven't decided yet.
I saw these and they looked good. My only concern with pre-ordering them is that I wear glasses and I'm not sure how that would effect my game play and how they would sit. I haven't worn big headphones in years. Also: I'm half deaf with hearing loss in just one ear so I'm never quite sure whether or not that would effect my ability to use them all together....

BF 4 is semiconfirmed to be $30 on Black Friday, so if you don't mind the horrible upgrade program, then you can get the PS4 version for $40 then.
Why is the upgrade program horrible? The way it looks to me, you get a PS3 disc and a PS4 download for $70 minus any discount you get on the disc. MS is selling 360 + XB1 DLs for $70 with no discount possible, or the XB1 disc + a 360 rental for $70 minus whatever discount. I'm getting Killzone and CoD for PS3 unless reviews for Ghosts are shit and feel good about it. I recognize you need to keep the PS3 disc, or maybe you can sell it and buy it again down the road after a price drop, but at least you own something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw these and they looked good. My only concern with pre-ordering them is that I wear glasses and I'm not sure how that would effect my game play and how they would sit. I haven't worn big headphones in years. Also: I'm half deaf with hearing loss in just one ear so I'm never quite sure whether or not that would effect my ability to use them all together....
I used a pair of Tritton GoW's (not sure the actual model number) and currently have the Astro A50 and wearing glasses never once caused a problem.

Why is the upgrade program horrible? The way it looks to me, you get a PS3 disc and a PS4 download for $70 minus any discount you get on the disc. MS is selling 360 + XB1 DLs for $70 with no discount possible. I'm getting Killzone and CoD for PS3 unless reviews for Ghosts are shit and feel good about it.
The Xbox version is a lot more hassle free, since you're trading disc 1 another disc. With the Sony one, you still need the original disc to play the download, but you also must now download the game and must sacrifice the space needed to hold the game. For instance, Battlefield 3 was like 18 gb, so you're probably looking at a 18 gb+ download and losing 18+ gb of storage on your HDD. At this point I much rather just purchase the game outright, than pay even $20 dollars less and upgrade.

I used a pair of Tritton GoW's (not sure the actual model number) and currently have the Astro A50 and wearing glasses never once caused a problem.

The Xbox version is a lot more hassle free, since you're trading disc 1 another disc. With the Sony one, you still need the original disc to play the download, but you also must now download the game and must sacrifice the space needed to hold the game. For instance, Battlefield 3 was like 18 gb, so you're probably looking at a 18 gb+ download and losing 18+ gb of storage on your HDD. At this point I much rather just purchase the game outright, than pay even $20 dollars less and upgrade.
Maybe they will change it in the future where you won't need the disc.

On the plus side there's less effort involved in exchanging the disc, plus hopefully they eventually move that restriction. It's a sliding scale, for CoD I got the PS3 Prestige Edition for $120 from BB, so the upgrade is perfect for me. For Battlefield 4 getting a disc for $49 from Newegg vs $30 + tax + $10 for PS3 + download is a tough call.

On the plus side there's less effort involved in exchanging the disc, plus hopefully they eventually move that restriction. It's a sliding scale, for CoD I got the PS3 Prestige Edition for $120 from BB, so the upgrade is perfect for me. For Battlefield 4 getting a disc for $49 from Newegg vs $30 + tax + $10 for PS3 + download is a tough call.
It will be nice, but I don't see it happening. A lot of effort went into making this system (or I assume anyway) and it was done to prevent people from getting it too low. I think the real deciding factor will be how big the game is and how fast the PS4 downloads. Either or, I still think getting the disc is infinitely simpler and at least then I am not wasting space or have this huge delayed gratification.

I've been having a tough time deciding whether or not to keep my PS4 or sell it when I get it. I have 1,000's of games I'll never get to play and a huge backlog of newer games as well as all the great upcoming wii u games which are more exciting to me than anything I see on the horizon for PS4. Basically the most exciting game to me for PS4 right now is resogun. Sony has been good to me so I'll probably keep the PS4 but will have to find a good cheap HDMI selector since my TV only has one hdmi input and it's being used for the Wii U which in turn the audio out from the tv is going to my surround sound so I need a HDMI switch that passes the audio signals as well. Maybe all of them do I just don't know and any help will be appreciated.
You need a decent receiver and your HDMI problems will be solved.

meh, i would just keep almost any console. I don't see a reason in selling them. They never really drop that far below their original price, especially this late in the lifecycle. People will be selling PS3s for $100 for the next 3-4 years just because of the blu ray and media capabilities.

So what games are people buying?

I'm getting Killzone, and maybe knack depending on reviews. If not knack then Probably need for speed if it gets good reviews. I have a $50 sony store gift card to use so i want to get a second game.
I'm getting AC4, Need for Speed Rivals, and BF4.

Are you buying these specifically for PS4? I'm debating on buying the PS3 versions to do the $10 upgrade. Double the trophies, double the fun. Plus I'd like to experience both versions to see the difference myself.

I would expect so, Sony is going to want to sell all the software they can. And with all games being available digitally at launch time, a playable demo would make sense.

if BF3 on PS3 is $30 on black friday I might bite on that, and do the upgrade. 

It would be nice to have a game to compare PS3-PS4 version on.

I didnt get a chance to pre order the PS4..I hope that the local stores will have plenty of the consoles in stock on launch day. I would prefer getting it from dell since I have a 200 gift card to use online but not sure if they will have it

Headsets and wearing glasses suck. Ive never had any luck. Of course Ive not looked at the expensive sets.

I feel like I'm beginning to have second thoughts about getting a PS4 now. I have a giant backlog of Steam games I still haven't even started let alone finish. And as I think about it the only game I want exclusively is going to be Killzone and I don't even "Want" it I just think it looks good.
I had talked myself into waiting until next year and of course my PS3 shits the bead lol. I got lucky and got in on the recent bundle from Amazon. I dont want BF so I may end up selling it right away. I wonder if once I get it if they will let me return the game and get KIllzone?

My Logitech F540s don't mess with my glasses.
I need to see what headsets will be available for the PS4. Of course I prob. wont be doing much multiplayer. With my RA you never know when I have to stop playing. That and I dont have any friends that play online. We need to get a thread with everyones name so we can at least ad to friends list.

This might be a weird question, but do you/can you set headsets to a mono mode? I guess that would defeat the purpose of them, but it seems like you'd be missing out on audio field for whichever ear is deaf. Like if your deaf ear is the right one, and you can't hear the right side headset, wouldn't that be a disadvantage for you in a game (especially something action oriented like Battlefield or Killzone)?

Have you considered something like a sound bar or sound system that offers a Night Mode? They tend to reduce audio levels to compressed levels to keep audio spikes from being jarring. It sort of ruins the sound, since the levels get downsized, but it would prevent potential issues with sound and roommates, and you'd have full sound spectrum to potentially allow you to hear.

I'm not sure how great they are, but I had a friend who used a sound bar because of his roommate complaining about watching movies at night, and it seemed to resolve that. I know, I know, sound bars are weak. But at least in this case your good ear would potentially be able to pick up on the stereo sound design games have, while having a volume control and setting option. Plus, then you don't have to worry about issues with eyeglasses.

Are you buying these specifically for PS4? I'm debating on buying the PS3 versions to do the $10 upgrade. Double the trophies, double the fun. Plus I'd like to experience both versions to see the difference myself.

I have a Vita and the largest memory card, but it has shown me that space is precious and limited. I don't plan on upgrading the hard drive anytime soon so no downloadable version for me.

QUESTION!

are there bundles available for preorder with a second dualshock AND a game (pref killzone) that is cheaper than buying everything separately?

if so, is it easy to switch preorders? I preordered a basic ps4 in July. Do I get first dibs on preorders for new bundles? I feel like us early adopters deserve dibs :whistle2:/ but it seems like the most loyal got screwed.

QUESTION!

are there bundles available for preorder with a second dualshock AND a game (pref killzone) that is cheaper than buying everything separately?

if so, is it easy to switch preorders? I preordered a basic ps4 in July. Do I get first dibs on preorders for new bundles? I feel like us early adopters deserve dibs :whistle2:/ but it seems like the most loyal got screwed.
I imagine most bundles are sold out now. But I do know the BJ's had the Killzone bundle which included the game and an extra controller, for $20 cheaper than buying it all piece by piece.

I imagine most bundles are sold out now. But I do know the BJ's had the Killzone bundle which included the game and an extra controller, for $20 cheaper than buying it all piece by piece.
that's a shame...retailers should've done the right thing and notified the people who preordered the basic set first. I find that the more you support a gaming company, the less you benefit and the less they want to serve you.

biggest example was the psn failure a couple years ago; the people that got screwed the most were obviously those who played the most; the most loyal fan base. But then when they gave those free games as an apology, they were all games that the most loyal fans had already played/bought/denied. Therefore, generally, the only people who made out were those who didn't play the great, older, popular games like LBP; the less loyal fans.

I feel the same about PS plus; it's a great deal, but as a hardcore ps3 player who gets most games anyway, the games that are free are generally old and have already been played by the most loyal.

it's why I always point to the exception that is Nintendo Club. They actually reward you for buying their products with more than just a great gaming experience. Sony needs something like that. I know this rant has nothing to do with the topic, but on a boring Sunday morning, I read the news and rant.

Since I just unexpectedly got the money for this do you think costco is the best bet for day one release?
I was understanding that CostCo was getting out of the video game market. I haven't seen games or systems for sale in my two local locations for quite awhile.

The real good thing the console launch has going for it, is that the new iPad is getting released two weeks prior, that should take some attention away while people fight over those.

It's not a bad shot. I would go into the store the day before and check with someone though. I plan to do the same at both Walmart and Kmart.
That's actually not a bad idea because that way they (hopefully) should know if they got a shipment in.

Thanks folks. I'm also open to any additional ideas.

That's actually not a bad idea because that way they (hopefully) should know if they got a shipment in.

Thanks folks. I'm also open to any additional ideas.
Sony has said they think they'll have plenty of stock, but I think you are on the right track looking for an unlikely spot. If you are in a big city, maybe look for a Wal-mart/Target that has just opened up? Other than that, KMart or Sears might be a good spot to check. They'll get limited stock, but I wouldn't think many people would go there either.

Ugh, so BF4 is strongly rumored to be 900p. Kinda disappointed in that as I wanted 1080p, but the picture will still look pretty clear, better then the blurriness of 720p that's for sure.

Also, my buddy will be picking up his DS4 pre-order from GS so I should be getting my hands on one sooon!!! I'm tempted to paint one of mine white like the dude below but knowing me I'd fuck it up somehow LOL

akhft5.jpg

Ended up cancelling my Amazon order. At this point in time I just can't justify spending that kind of money for a system that doesn't have any games I want. I think i'll either try to save that money (Lol Doubtfully) or put it towards some PC upgrades.

Hd is hd, I'd like to have you all stand in front of both and tell me the difference. You'd probably get it wrong.
Um no, I can definitely tell the difference. I dont want to ruin this thread like the Xbox One's so I'll just leave it at that.

Just tried out the PS4 yesterday in the Sony store while my wife was shopping for purses, this thing is as sexy as hell.

What'd you play?
FIFA, it was the only game they allowed me to play. There was also a demo session where you use the controller to scroll through items. Microsoft store was just below the Sony store, they didn't have the ONE for customers to experience, so that kind of sucked. I love that the "touchpad" is clickable.
Lucky! Wish more retailers would put up displays. The nearest Sony store for me is one state away or 39 Miles...
Well, not worth the (near) 10% sales tax and living expenses here...

that's a shame...retailers should've done the right thing and notified the people who preordered the basic set first. I find that the more you support a gaming company, the less you benefit and the less they want to serve you.

biggest example was the psn failure a couple years ago; the people that got screwed the most were obviously those who played the most; the most loyal fan base. But then when they gave those free games as an apology, they were all games that the most loyal fans had already played/bought/denied. Therefore, generally, the only people who made out were those who didn't play the great, older, popular games like LBP; the less loyal fans.

I feel the same about PS plus; it's a great deal, but as a hardcore ps3 player who gets most games anyway, the games that are free are generally old and have already been played by the most loyal.

it's why I always point to the exception that is Nintendo Club. They actually reward you for buying their products with more than just a great gaming experience. Sony needs something like that. I know this rant has nothing to do with the topic, but on a boring Sunday morning, I read the news and rant.
It's funny, with the PSN outage, no one's information was actually taken. The glitch made it so people could make their account into dev accounts and use fake credit card information to download a bunch of games. Information was accessed but they couldn't actually see your information, just enter wrong information in place of it. There is some video that actually explains what happened, let me see if I can find it. Side note; PSN was compromised but Sony take down the network in order to rebuild it. It was Sony that shut down the network, not a hacking group.

If Sony gave out a bunch of random games, what do you think would have happened. "OMG Sony gave me a game I never heard about so it must suck". But instead, "Sony gave out games I already own, damn I hate them". This is the mentality of most entitled gamers.

I for one did have some of the games given, but I did not have all of them. I end up getting Dead Nation and Wipeout HD, both games that I love and play extremely well. Would never had played Dead Nation too if it wasn't for them giving it away. Even if I had all of them, the fact that they gave out games that people wanted (though some already had... that can't be helped) was great.

I too have PS+ and I would like to say I'm a "hardcore" PS3 gamer. Most of my games are on it. I still get some of the free games / DLC w/ PS+. It's a great deal for only $40 or less (never buy for $50) to get 12 months of constantly free games.

No offense but really. You're complaining about getting free stuff with a program. It's one thing if the stuff sucked but most of the games are AAA or under the radar great games.

bread's done
Back