PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

I'm trying not to overthink the preorder too much and wonder if I won't be missing too much on BF by spending that money now. That's why I was happy when my initial preorder was scheduled for January.

i know people talked alot about how the availability of the ps4 could be already, but i still think it would not be hard to find even if you did not preorder it. maybe for certain cag posters, depending on their location. if i can find some games to trade in next week, i might just stop by at bestbuy to see if there are any available
Even as sarcasm this post hurts my brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for calming my nerves HTZ, you bastard LOL But man, if Amazon ships my PS4 without a box I'm going give them some grief. Even if it comes in perfect condition. I'm mostly worried about shady UPS workers then anything else though, especially this time of year with seasonal workers and all. Guess we'll find out in five days.

Also, my BF4 game came with a 7day plus trial, so thats brings my total to 44 days of free plus I wont be able to use. :lol: 

so i just looked at my open orders on amazon and i see i have battlefield ps4, watch dogs ps4, and dark souls 2 ps3 all ordered on aug 4th for $11.99 off. 

i sort of want to cancel battlefield before it ships so i can act on the target sale... but i have no idea what promotion/sale this was.  anyone remember?

Is there any way of knowing what items come from what distribution center? At this point, I'm ready to order something else to be delivered the same day as ps4 just to get them to put the console in a box. I do not need to hope countless UPS employees decide not to steal it AND take good care of it rather than playing basketball with it. Let alone letting it sit on my porch out in the open all day. I live right by three schools, and the kids get home from school and walk past my house before I get home from work.

Is there any way of knowing what items come from what distribution center? At this point, I'm ready to order something else to be delivered the same day as ps4 just to get them to put the console in a box. I do not need to hope countless UPS employees decide not to steal it AND take good care of it rather than playing basketball with it. Let alone letting it sit on my porch out in the open all day. I live right by three schools, and the kids get home from school and walk past my house before I get home from work.
Wouldn't that have no effect? I assume Amazon does things by orders, so unless the item was with your PS4 (possibly delaying your shipment), you would just get 2 packages regardless.

I'm boycotting Amazon if they start charging tax here.

Very anticonsumer thing to do.

congratulations, that's the dumbest thing I've read today.

It's bad customer service.

They promised me I wouldn't pay tax on my PS4. If they try to charge me is there legal action I can take? I still have the chat transcripts.

They promised me I wouldn't pay tax on my PS4. If they try to charge me is there legal action I can take? I still have the chat transcripts.
Legally even if they don't charge you sales tax you are still supposed to report it during tax time if your state has sales tax at all. That is how it was in CA though I doubt anyone ever did it until they passed the law making Amazon charge sales tax here. Though in exchange we are getting distribution centers in CA which should speed up shipping speed like how it is ordering from newegg.com if you live in CA. But yeah, either way Amazon can't be held responsible for law changes and something you were technically supposed to be doing anyways during tax time

You're going to get bashed for posting this, but I was in the same situation. Chatted with Amazon, who sent an email to Amazon's "tax team" for me, who then got back to me and said "we're sorry that you were misinformed, but you will be charged tax" - almost in those words. Chatted with Amazon again, got a different rep who was more sympathetic and understood my situation, but unfortunately there was nothing he could do either. Sent another email to the tax team who agreed to refund me the tax as an exception because I had a log of a chat made all the way back in June where I was informed I wouldn't have to pay tax. I have 11 orders and need to email the tax team back after each of them ship so they can refund me - but I already got the okay.

I'm boycotting Amazon if they start charging tax here.

Very anticonsumer thing to do.
I agree with the sentiment, but they are being given little choice. The threat is: they start collecting sales tax via agreements with the states, or the fed steps in and writes even more restrictive interstate trading laws. And, while they goes on, the states start litigating and potentially restricting amazons trade in their specific states.

Amazon held out for as long as they could...but with many states having a hard time paying the bills, and unable to increase existing revenue stream because of the bad economy, they are looking for new ways to increase their tax revenue. This is the first, and easiest, for them to pursue....because it's so obvious that many people are not reporting their purchases when they file their state taxes(which, FYI, most states require).

See, that's different.

If they specifically told you the wouldn't charge you tax, and you have it in record via chat transcript, then I would contact their cs dept, and have them elevate it to their tax team.

You will probably get bashed for it here, as I will for this answer. But I am a firm believer that companies bear responsibility for what their cs reps do and say. It is not our fault, as consumers, that they are misinformed. We should not have to bear any consequences when they are.

And then you should declare the purchase on your state tax filings next year....

Your SOL and if you stop buying from them they won't miss you. I hope you contact them enough to flag your account and realize your business isn't needed.

Move to Brazil and then you can complain about TAXES on consoles.

People realize Amazon has been pushing for online taxes for over a year now, right?
More like being pushed... Because they would like nothing more than to restrain a no tax competitive advantage over the chain big box retail stores...but yes. There was a huge to do late in 2012, and then a slew of agreements with various states early and mid 2013. It looks like most of them went into effect on nov 1.

You will probably get bashed for it here, as I will for this answer. But I am a firm believer that companies bear responsibility for what their cs reps do and say. It is not our fault, as consumers, that they are misinformed. We should not have to bear any consequences when they are.
I'm going to get a job as a CS rep and have my friends and family call in and tell them they can get anything and everything for free because of X and then tell my company that I was misinformed but they have to follow through.

You know that guy is just trying to get some attention. He doesn't feel that way and is just going off of what Link said yesterday. Nothing to see here, he's been doing this since yesterday.

Your SOL and if you stop buying from them they won't miss you. I hope you contact them enough to flag your account and realize your business isn't needed.

Move to Brazil and then you can complain about TAXES on consoles.
It's not right. If they say it's $399.99 then that's all I should have to pay. Not an extra charge that they hide until I checkout.

I'm going to get a job as a CS rep and have my friends and family call in and tell them they can get anything and everything for free because of X and then tell my company that I was misinformed but they have to follow through.
And the company will quickly fire you, and it will follow you for the rest of your career.

And if you only do it for friends and family, they will sue, prove intent, and you will pay for their losses. On top of that, they will likely prosecute n a criminal court if the losses are enough (over $500).

But that's not really what we are talking about here...

The point is: No consumer should be penalized because a company' representative gives them consistently wrong information. And there is ample case law that, as long as the consumer acts in good faith, the law agrees. It's not been tested in tax law/ collection...but my opinion is that it should still hold true. Amazon should eat the 20 - 40 off the retail price, to cover the taxes, if the buyer has documentation to back up their claim.

Be sure to PM me where you get the job. I can use some free stuff and the best part I'm not going to pay tax. Only thing that sucks is your gonna be out of a job quickly. As long as we all know and understand the plan who can complain.

Oh no! My extravagant career as a customer service representative!
..,and every penny you ever make toward civil penalties and summary judgement.

And, potentially, your freedomif they press charges for theft and fraud.

I trust the deterrent is enough to dissuade most people from going down that path...and Amazon's "exposure" would be short enough that amazon would hardly feel it.

Why do you keep acting like I'm going to be convicted?

Was said fictional company in this thread to see me plan this thing out?
Because audit trails are easy to follow....and intent is easy to prove via your customer list.

By all means, take a shot. I'm always interested in seeing headlines about criminals who think they can outsmart the system getting caught. They are very " what were they thinking" kind of stories! And your friends and family might even get to join you if they're found in violation of interstate commerce law. I mean....what's a potential felony conviction for a few thousand dollars in goods, right?

Then again...maybe they'll make the next oceans movie about you. Either way, I win!

Any ps4 news :]
Since around when?

Reports are most retailers have their ps4 stock at least in their distribution centers.

Couple amazon rumors are that amazon will charge and ship on the 13 th. Another rumor was that they will not be shipping is a separate box.

Lots of ps4 games hit retail shelves of Friday, looks like more will hit Tuesday.

I think that covers the last couple days...

The amount of tax charged on your order will depend upon many factors including Identity of the seller, type of item purchased, and destination of the shipment. Factors can change between the time you place an order and the time of credit card charge authorization, which could affect the calculation of sales taxes. The amount appearing on your order as Estimated Tax may differ from the sales taxes ultimately charged.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-2?ie=UTF8&nodeId=468512&qid=1384031755&sr=1-2
When you created an Amazon account, you agreed to Amazon's terms and conditions. What the CS rep promised you was not a binding contract that overrides these terms and conditions.

99% of people here have social disorders so unless you can start a 'chat' with the irs than you are out of luck. If only all problems could be solved without talking.

Wouldn't that have no effect? I assume Amazon does things by orders, so unless the item was with your PS4 (possibly delaying your shipment), you would just get 2 packages regardless.
Most of the time but I've actually ordered things days apart and they've grouped them into one shipment. Usually seems to happen when they're only available at some weird out of the way warehouse and timed together.

When you created an Amazon account, you agreed to Amazon's terms and conditions. What the CS rep promised you was not a binding contract that overrides these terms and conditions.
I never agreed to be charged tax.

They changed their terms.

Then just simply cancel your preorder. There's bound to be numerous people on the PS4 waiting list who'd be willing to pay the tax.

SITE POLICIES, MODIFICATION, AND SEVERABILITY

Please review our other policies, such as our pricing policy, posted on this site. These policies also govern your use of Amazon Services. We reserve the right to make changes to our site, policies, Service Terms, and these Conditions of Use at any time. If any of these conditions shall be deemed invalid, void, or for any reason unenforceable, that condition shall be deemed severable and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining condition.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=ap_frn_condition_of_use?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508088

i agree that it's bs they would charge ta on  a pre order that was made before tax was enforced but after that nothing they an do. Sooner or later amazon would have irs and state gov knocking on their door if they refused to charge tax in any state when told they have to. Only reason they are doing it now here because my state now has a shipping center.

amazon has no control over tax lol
I agree they have no control over tax, so going forward it's buyer beware...and their cs folks should make sure to tell people exactly that.

But they do have control over what their employees tell their customers...and they should be held accountable for that.

Just like they shouldn't be able to quote a price, and then try to charge a customer more.

I still feel if there is hard documentation that a customer was told they would not have to pay sales tax...if the customer directly asked about it...then amazon should reduce the retail price to cover the tax...or issue a gift card for the tax amount to the customers account.

bread's done
Back