PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

>_> I've learned to always wait for the second model and to buy consoles during the holiday sales. :/ let Sony work out the inevitable defects. This last gen I've witnessed way too many people casually saying things like "I'm on my 4th ps3/360".. :/ how the hell do you burn through 4+ systems in 1 generation?
Bad luck?

Poor Maintenance?

Using the cheapest possible solutions you can find?

Like a lot of people think they can toss a PS3 / 360 in an enclosure and call it a day. This can trap the heat and severely damage your console. Also my friend had a PS3 which he took to the cheapest fix place he count find and while the system did work... the guy couldn't even put the system back together properly. No doubt a lot of people buy cheap systems off CL or eBay and fix them or whatever solution costs them the least money. Either or, I've had 2 PS3's since 2009 and that was after buying a GameStop referb of a first generation console. That lasted a year and since buying my Slim (with over 380 PS3 / Vita games played over the course of 4 years...) is still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fat PS3 has never had issues in the five years of moderate use I've owned it for now.  My 360, which wasn't even a launch purchase, died after two years of EXTREMELY minimal use.  I must've put only 200-300 hours into that console max and it was in the same open area that my PS3 is.  No, faulty hardware was the result of a rushed release to beat Sony and it cost them in free repairs once they finally admitted it.

I wouldn't expect many issues this time around from either console since they're using mostly proven PC parts now.  Suffice to say, 360 is the only console I've had die on me in my entire life.  That thing was a piece of shit initially.

So I updated my info yesterday to set the date for launch day. That doesn't mess with the order or anything right? I would freak out if I didn't get it for doing that I just reconfirmed the shipping info and Ive had it preordered since the page went up on amazon.

TBH I think we are at the point in 2013 where we wont see console shortages (obviously, SONY claims they are launch with 7-10 million which is an absurd amount) and we also wont see faulty consoles like we saw with the 360.

I have FSSS on my Launch PS4. How much is it to switch it to 2 day shipping since I don't have prime so I can get it on the 15th to start playing over that weekend it releases?

So I updated my info yesterday to set the date for launch day. That doesn't mess with the order or anything right? I would freak out if I didn't get it for doing that I just reconfirmed the shipping info and Ive had it preordered since the page went up on amazon.
No it doesn't, or it shouldn't anyway, as you already have the PS4 preordered, you are just updating some information.

Like when I update my payment option to apply more credit to the PS4, that is just updating information, not canceling my preorder and trying to preorder again. You should be fine :)

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but Target will sell their in-store pre-order cards this Sunday 8/25. PS4 reserves will cost $25 and each Target should be getting about 8 presell cards.
How do you know about this? I would rather go the Target route than Walmart, but when I called, the employee had no idea about this. Maybe they were ill-informed?

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but Target will sell their in-store pre-order cards this Sunday 8/25. PS4 reserves will cost $25 and each Target should be getting about 8 presell cards.
How is Target when it comes to fulfilling preorders for limited items? I once pre-ordered Wii Fit from them and they just had them sitting on a shelf on launch day.

How is Target when it comes to fulfilling preorders for limited items? I once pre-ordered Wii Fit from them and they just had them sitting on a shelf on launch day.
We are usually allocated based on the number of pre-orders. We hold the ones we get for a week and any left-overs are put on the shelves. They should have had one put aside for you somewhere.

Out of curiosity did anyone with a standard PS4 pre-order from Amazon get an update email with anything other than November 19th? I'm sure that's not accurate since I got one yesterday saying between November 15th and December 31st. Nice to know that they expect to have enough to fill pre-orders from earlier this month before the end of the year though.

Just preordered at Best Buy.

Anyone know if I can pay off the preorder at Best Buy over time?
Something may have changed but BBY used to be set up so you could only pay the pre-order amount ahead of time.

i never really use BB but others said they keep putting a charge hold on card, for full amount too make sure you have funds. so make sure you don't overdraft because of that. for anyone  that uses BB

Out of curiosity did anyone with a standard PS4 pre-order from Amazon get an update email with anything other than November 19th? I'm sure that's not accurate since I got one yesterday saying between November 15th and December 31st. Nice to know that they expect to have enough to fill pre-orders from earlier this month before the end of the year though.

Something may have changed but BBY used to be set up so you could only pay the pre-order amount ahead of time.
if you preordered the ps4 in store , you can pay do that

I got an e-mail saying between Nov. 15th and December 31st, then a couple days later got an email saying my estimated arrival is November 19th.

TBH I think we are at the point in 2013 where we wont see console shortages (obviously, SONY claims they are launch with 7-10 million which is an absurd amount) and we also wont see faulty consoles like we saw with the 360.
Where has Sony claimed they'll launch with 7-10 million consoles? That's financial suicide and would mean they'd have to have been in production since the beginning of this year. Assuming production started this month, they'll probably have 3 million at launch for the world.

Where has Sony claimed they'll launch with 7-10 million consoles? That's financial suicide and would mean they'd have to have been in production since the beginning of this year. Assuming production started this month, they'll probably have 3 million at launch for the world.
I would assume they would mean that it would be 7-10 million in the launch window which would probably be about right since they're launching at peak holiday buying time. Launching at a reasonable price point if they supply another 4 million over the two months post launch I don't think there will be a lot of problem moving them. I also think that they want to get out ahead of MS early this time around instead of always playing catch up even if we won't see the huge disparity in quality or selection of third party titles this generation. Artificial scarcity is nice for making a little more demand but these consoles aren't going to have that appeal to mom and dad and grandma like the Wii did so Sony would probably rather just have a more consistent shelf presence than MS.

I would assume they would mean that it would be 7-10 million in the launch window which would probably be about right since they're launching at peak holiday buying time. Launching at a reasonable price point if they supply another 4 million over the two months post launch I don't think there will be a lot of problem moving them. I also think that they want to get out ahead of MS early this time around instead of always playing catch up even if we won't see the huge disparity in quality or selection of third party titles this generation. Artificial scarcity is nice for making a little more demand but these consoles aren't going to have that appeal to mom and dad and grandma like the Wii did so Sony would probably rather just have a more consistent shelf presence than MS.
Four million over two months is again too high for production costs and artificial demand is a myth. Sony will release exactly what they've produced, when they produce it. Again, I think it's safe to say they'll be making at most a million units per month so I still don't see where 7-10 million is possible. By the end of this year they will have shipped 4-5 million units at best.

Probably gonna pre-order at target to get my discount. After tax it should be around 345. Hopefully they have some sort of deal.

I checked my order status and it has an estimated delivery date of November 15th.

Do you guys know if the ps4 will accept the blutooth headset from the ps3 or any blutooth headset?

Also , do you guys have any info about the arcade sticks? I have a nice costumized one made with sanwa parts that I would like to use in the ps4 (USB powered). Thanks

Do you guys know if the ps4 will accept the blutooth headset from the ps3 or any blutooth headset?

Also , do you guys have any info about the arcade sticks? I have a nice custome one made with sanwa parts that I would like to use in the ps4 (USB powered). Thanks
I don't remember for sure on the headests. As long as the system has bluetooth again I don't see why it wouldn't have support for standard headsets though.

Fightsticks are definitely a no go. Both Sony and MS confirmed it after E3 that PS3 ones will not be compatible. If you have a nice one you want to keep using you'll probably have to hold out for someone to start selling a replacement PCB for it and then mod it in.

I don't remember for sure on the headests. As long as the system has bluetooth again I don't see why it wouldn't have support for standard headsets though.

Fightsticks are definitely a no go. Both Sony and MS confirmed it after E3 that PS3 ones will not be compatible. If you have a nice one you want to keep using you'll probably have to hold out for someone to start selling a replacement PCB for it and then mod it in.
Thanks for the info. That sucks.

FYI people... This joystiq article says for those preordering the ps4 in store in Walmart on the 24th you won't be getting your consoles until 12/13.

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/sony-handling-ps4-pre-orders-as-responsibly-as-we-can/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art
I was just at walmart to ask about this and the manager I talked to told me that you have until 12/13 to pay it off and pick it up. But if you pay the full amount before the release date you can pick it up on day one.

Anyone get a preorder at Walmart yet or does not start in the morning?
I just put down $42.02 at my local Wal-Mart (had to go to the back of the store near the layaway and site-to-store area). They said it would be available on 11/15 for pickup. I have until 12/13 to pick it up. I got there around 11am even though they said it would start at 8am. The guy said I was the second person of the day to preorder it in store. Either my area Wal-Mart had low demand or the initial surge is over for preorders.

I just put down $42.02 at my local Wal-Mart (had to go to the back of the store near the layaway and site-to-store area). They said it would be available on 11/15 for pickup. I have until 12/13 to pick it up. I got there around 11am even though they said it would start at 8am. The guy said I was the second person of the day to preorder it in store. Either my area Wal-Mart had low demand or the initial surge is over for preorders.
I don't think a whole helluva lot of people really know about the Walmart preorders. Not to discount you or anyone else for that matter, I'm sure that most people that really wanted a system on day one have one preordered elsewhere by now.

I wasn't sure if I was going to get the ps4 earlier and by the time I decided to get it most places stopped taking preorders. They reopened preorders for shipping to home only but I am afraid of letting my ps4 sit outside in the winter so I had to wait for the Wal-Mart preorder pickup option.

Did anyone watch the IGN interview with Shuhei Yoshida? They asked him if there would be any problems with demand and he doesn't give the most reassuring answer. He doesn't really say there will be but he also doesn't say there won't.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/23/ps4-can-sony-keep-up-with-demand

Did anyone watch the IGN interview with Shuhei Yoshida? They asked him if there would be any problems with demand and he doesn't give the most reassuring answer. He doesn't really say there will be but he also doesn't say there won't.
Well you really can't give the right answer there. You say no and there are shortages people will rage at you. You say yes and people accuse you of creating artificial shortages and if there are plenty of systems than it's not selling.

I just preordered at walmart. I've been reading some bad things about video game preorders at Walmart. Why is that? What's so bad about it?

I'm guaranteed to have a copy at launch right? If I am, then I don't see what the problem with Walmart is

I just preordered at walmart. I've been reading some bad things about video game preorders at Walmart. Why is that? What's so bad about it?

I'm guaranteed to have a copy at launch right? If I am, then I don't see what the problem with Walmart is
Walmart does not have a great reputation in general and from what I have read, employees aren't too informed when it comes to these preorders. That could change a lot between now and November, but I personally wouldn't trust Walmart to hold my console for me.

"Guarantee" is such a strong word when discussing Wal-mart. I'm sure they'll try very hard to have you one within the first few months of launch. Of course, employees are going to need a few hundred thousand consoles to try out (aka sell on ebay to people who preordered at Wal-mart). You know, for the purposes of being better informed. ;)

Haha, j/k. Actually, I'm sure they'll have some. I don't know if they will match the number they're guaranteeing, but I'd wager that anyone outside of Amazon is going to be unreliable at this late date on preorders when push comes to shove.

Just tried to pick up a PS4 reservation card at Target, but they can't ring it up. The system asks to "scan activation code" but there isn't any. As if it were an iTunes card or something. So the manager is holding one with my name on it until they fix it. They scanned the Xbox One card and it worked fine.

bread's done
Back