PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Hey I have a quick question this will be my first time going to a new system launch. What time should I go to my local walmart to get in line? My town is pretty small about 45,000 and there is only 2 walmarts in my town

Sweet. My PS4 has shipped! And Killzone has been bumped up from Saturday to Friday, and has shipped as well! Knack is shipping soon and shoud also be here Friday. Pretty sure I'm going to get rid of it though.

Spoke to best buy support today and they said preorders only guarantee you will get a console eventually but its not guaranteed at launch. It sucks hopefully all preorders get theirs tomorrow night.
Really? That's crazy. I know this is the the PS4 thread, but I also have a Day One XB1 edition preordered at Best Buy. I mean, that's something if they sell mine I might not be able to get one ever (standard edition aside, but technically not the same)

Got my Amazon order coming Friday but I am kind of considering going to my local Meijer to attempt to pick up a 2nd PS4 and resell it. They will have 22-24 in stock. Line starts at 8pm. There's a Target, BB, GS, and Walmart nearby, so I'm gonna guess most people will go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those interested, just want to share that I did my HDD swap with a 1TB SSHD earlier today. Initialization/formatting with the 800MB+ recovery file took less than 8 minutes. I did mine without ever turning on my PS4 first. Just swapped and went straight into safe mode. Works perfectly.
SSHD?

At first when I saw this I was like WTF!? Some sort of early adopters program or something? Then I realized that it is Wednesday already and by tomorrow night you mean Thurs after midnight. Man, that came up FAST on me.

Given that it is so soon, I'm wondering why we aren't hearing more about campers. I see a few posts about it. But yeah, like VexxedCS said, who would be willing to camp out for a PS4 but somehow missed all the preorder opportunities? This isn't like the PS3 where preorders were only open for a few hours 3 months before launch and people were camping out to resell them for 2-3x (at least initially).

I suppose I should call them to be sure, but are GS stores in general doing a midnight launch? They called and left a message for me last weekend about the special trade-in promo day on Sunday and also told me they would hold my system for 48 hours after release. But they made no mention of the midnight thing.
as far as I know all gs stores are doing a midnight. Here is my theroy on campers. Preorders were open for so long at so many retailers it cut the need for camping as they are guaranteed one?

For those interested, just want to share that I did my HDD swap with a 1TB SSHD earlier today. Initialization/formatting with the 800MB+ recovery file took less than 8 minutes. I did mine without ever turning on my PS4 first. Just swapped and went straight into safe mode. Works perfectly.
Good to hear, I'm definitely gonna upgrade the HD soon.

Still not shipped yet from Amazon! Ordered on June 10th with 2 day ship!
If your delivery date is still scheduled for Friday I would not worry.

Just checked my orders, preordered one the first day, and preordered a BF4 bundle in Oct.  The Oct bundle shows shipping now, and the original bundle still says not shipped.  Like I said they are just getting through them randomly.  It doesn't matter when it was ordered.  Don't worry it will work out!

Do you still have Playroom installed on your PS4? I was wondering if the software was on the original hard drive.

That is what I was thinking, didn't realize they were still making those. Have there been any articles about performance increases with SSD vs HDD? I'd assume yours will be somewhere in the middle, but having 1TB will definitely be nice.
To be honest, I have no idea and it's too early for benchmarks. I figured that since it did help with loading times on the PS3 and that I can't afford a 1TB SSD, this was the next best option.

Do you still have Playroom installed on your PS4? I was wondering if the software was on the original hard drive.
When you replace the HDD, you do a full wipe and recovery, so it booted up as a clean install of 1.5. Playroom is there, though I haven't opened it to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the same boat.
Ditto.

But knack and a couple game guides shipped Monday, and arrived Tuesday. That's not unusual for me, for prime. They often ship one day, and the stuff arrives the next. Tomorrow, after 3, I will be worried. And amazon will get an earful if it hasn't shipped.

To be honest, I have no idea and it's too early for benchmarks. I figured that since it did help with loading times on the PS3 and that I can't afford a 1TB SSD, this was the next best option.
Oh c'mon. Don't you want to spend more on a SSD than the console ;)

Hey, do any of you guys know if I need to create a special folder on a flash drive for the ps4 update? I'm swapping out my hard drive right away, and I've never really done this update on a USB stick thing before.

Hey, do any of you guys know if I need to create a special folder on a flash drive for the ps4 update? I'm swapping out my hard drive right away, and I've never really done this update on a USB stick thing before.
Yes.

Folder called PS4.

Inside that folder, another folder called UPDATE.

Put the file you get from Sony on the UPDATE folder.

Make sure you get the full 800 mb file and not just the 300 mb update.

EDIT: Video tutorial from Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/how-to-install-a-hard-drive-in-a-playstation-4/2300-6416105/
I suppose I will apply the update via USB before I even turn the system on as well. Have you ran into any issues since you posted this?

I suppose I will apply the update via USB before I even turn the system on as well. Have you ran into any issues since you posted this?
I spent maybe 30 minutes with my system during my lunch break. I'll mess with it tonight after work and report back I'd there are any issues.

looks like the ps4 issue is something to do with the 1.5 update so hope for people getting ps4 that sony fixes the issue. Seems like if you take hard drive out and start system and put it into safe mode and put hdd back in it works.

Got my call from Best Buy asking when I was coming to get my system.  They didn't know anything about separate lines for people who had the systems completely paid off though.  Oh, well. I'll find out tomorrow night at midnight.

Anyone have the full specs of the PS4 Hard drive?

I know it is 500GB 5400rpm  but how much cache does it use?

Also I might be going for the SSD install to max load/install times. But then I have sacrifice space for speed if I do that.

bread's done
Back