PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Just took my out of the box. Feels like I Spent 30 minutes finding the HDMI port on my TV ( I hate when it crammed in the back on a wallmount). So far I've updated to 1.50 no issues (Knock on wood) and just going through the CAG friend requests I got. My system seems to make a small squeal when it starts for the first time, but I'm just going to assume it's like that.

Where did you buy it from? I want to see the video because I know a lot of these are apparently HDMI problems which is weird considering that millions (billions?) of electronics now have HDMI ports so why is this so hard?
Bought it from amazon. I'll be sure to post it on here. It does seem to be more than the HDMI port since mine won't even go to safe mode. It says it's uploaded from my phone but I can't find it on the youtube channel yet. It may be a bit but I won't leave you guys hanging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CgiKpHhcU

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought it from amazon. I'll be sure to post it on here. It does seem to be more than the HDMI port since mine won't even go to safe mode. It says it's uploaded from my phone but I can't find it on the youtube channel yet. It may be a bit but I won't leave you guys hanging.
You system issues sound just like mine. From what I got from Sony CS, the system is completely non-function besides the ability to power on. Try to see if either of your USB's work to sync your DualShock 4 controller.

Is anybody else having problems with standby mode? Everytime I try to turn it back on after being on standby it stays at the PS logo and causes me to forcefully reset the console, also my controller doesn't connect during that time.

Actually turning it off doesn't affect the console at all, just standby.

Its the only problem I'm having though besides BF4 so it's not a huge issue. I just hope it gets fixed.

So glad I am waiting for that Infamous bundle, but if any CAGs are in the Northeast, the Waterville, Maine Bull Moose Music had about 5 Day 1 Bundles in stock a few hours ago. I asked the clerk and they are not spoken for. I was tempted, but I had just paid off my SM3D World and Zelda 3DS XL Bundle so Im running low on funds, decided it would be better to hold off with all the known issues.

Mine seemed loud as Hell this morning while playing the beginning of KZ. Don't remember the loudness yesterday but I had BF4 cranked up.

I bought from Amazon too and now I'm wondering if they might have received a bad batch. It might be helpful to know what geographical area everyone's in to help identify how widespread the problems are. Ky here and no issues (so far).

Also, I posted in the appropriate thread, but if anyone has a BF4 China Rising code they're not going to use I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Yay my PS4 shipped from Amazon.

Spent yesterday evening compiling Amazon Kindle cards to pay for it.

$125 in cards from Gamestop - $50 in credit,  $75 cash

$50 card from Meijer - $33 credit, $17 cash

$225 in cards from BB - $188 credit, $35 RZ certificates, $2 cash

BF4 is insane with 64 players, had a blast playing that last night. Only problem was not being able to get into a conquest match, it gave me an error everytime I tried to join. Thats my favorite game mode so it kinda sucked. It also took me a while to get used to using the triggers for shooting, I died plenty of times early on pressing the bumpers instead.

Same here, man. Hoping they can get their consoles replaced in a timely fashion. I have to admit I was nervous as hell setting mine up yesterday.

That happened to me a couple of times too.
BF4 was awesome. Next gen visual and atmosphere was a huge upgrade from current gen. BF4 will probably be my shooter to play this year and next. On the other hand, KZ felt very generic and bland. got caught up on the sony kz hype. might trade this end to salvage whatever money i can get back.

I think I might be slightly addicted to Resogun, such a fun game.  Need for Speed Rivals is my favorite launch game so far.  Knack is actually better than I thought it would be but it is kind of bland.  I am hoping that Lego Marvel shows up today from GameFly, if it does show up and I like it I might just keep it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9CgiKpHhcU
Bummer dude. Sorry to hear about that.

For those who have defective systems, are there any any common identifying marks? Like a certain serial number run or manufacturing date on the back?

Mine seemed loud as Hell this morning while playing the beginning of KZ. Don't remember the loudness yesterday but I had BF4 cranked up.

I bought from Amazon too and now I'm wondering if they might have received a bad batch. It might be helpful to know what geographical area everyone's in to help identify how widespread the problems are. Ky here and no issues (so far).

Also, I posted in the appropriate thread, but if anyone has a BF4 China Rising code they're not going to use I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
ALL PS4s are loud. They just are. It greatly depends on what you're playing, of course. Killzone sent my neighbor's PS4 into vacuum-cleaner mode. Resogun on my PS4 treats it the same way. They all get loud, but all calm down quickly when you exit the game completely (I don't mean hitting the PS button - I mean actually closing the application).

I also think that the defective rate of PS4s is much higher than 0.4%. I can't say exactly how high, of course, but there's a LOT of BS surrounding this launch.

My PS4 won't take a 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400rpm drive. Simply won't boot with it in there. Friend 1's PS4 wouldn't boot with his 1TB Seagate Momentus 5400rpm drive. So right off the bat, not all drives work with the PS4. Friend 1 used his PS4 yesterday and it was fine. Turns it on today, played 10 mins of Assassin's Creed IV, game froze, PS4 switched off. Now it won't do anything except power on for 3 seconds and then shut off. No safe mode. Nothing. Dead.

My neighbor got his PS4 yesterday from Amazon as I did. He said his PS4 kept switching off when he connects to PSN. I went over there with my USB stick and 1.5 firmware, did the firmware update from the USB stick, tried to get him online and WHAM, PS4 shuts off. As soon as his PS4 tries to connect to the Internet, it shuts off! It's a proper crash, too, since rebooting it brings up a warning about not unplugging it without turning it off (talk about adding insult to injury. The pos crashes and it blames US for it!).

Anyway, the only way to get his system "usable" was to turn off the wireless router so the PS4 could boot without crashing (yeah, really), and then disabling the Internet in Network Settings, before turning the router back on. He played Killzone last night and the system was fine, but yeah, he has no Internet-able PS4.

We took a video of it crashing before reaching the main menu because it connected to the Internet on boot-up....

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/wgrose/media/IMG_2534_zps2fafa26a.mp4.html

Mine still works, but for how long, who knows?

For those who have defective systems, are there any any common identifying marks? Like a certain serial number run or manufacturing date on the back?
Folks on some neogaf thread I found through google (I don't normally visit that site) have gotten together and determined that most of the failed consoles have the manufacturer of Hongfujin Yantai China with a date of August or September.

Wow. I know it's fun to think of MS as some antichrist but FFS... Stop.
Wow, now I've hit all three! I've been told I'm trolling Wii U, trolling PS4, and trolling Xbox. I obviously hate video games, that's why I play them.

In case anyone was curious Knack works just fine for remote play even though the back of the box doesn't say it. Interestingly for whatever reason I did get some minor graphical issues (screen tearing mostly) that I didn't experience with remote play NFS Rivals or Resogun or while play Knack on the TV. Minor stuff and still awesome to play on the Vita.

In case anyone was curious Knack works just fine for remote play even though the back of the box doesn't say it. Interestingly for whatever reason I did get some minor graphical issues (screen tearing mostly) that I didn't experience with remote play NFS Rivals or Resogun or while play Knack on the TV. Minor stuff and still awesome to play on the Vita.
The latency for me just about killed any enjoyment I might have had with remote play. My PS4 isn't hooked up via ethernet, though, so ymmv.

I haven't found a way yet, but an easy workaround is to create a dummy account on Facebook just for PS4 shares. That way you can keep it separate from the rest of your stuff.

Has anyone tried the jump-in aspect of the PS4 yet? They kept showing the ability to go to a friend and watch what they're doing, then seamlessly jump in to their game.

And yeah, I need friends to try this out with, hit me up. PSN is my username here. Not a shooter fan, but I'll be on NfS later.
Lol, yeah I would rather just not do it than mess with a dummy FB. I'm under jeremoog for both PSN and Live if you want to add me.

The latency for me just about killed any enjoyment I might have had with remote play. My PS4 isn't hooked up via ethernet, though, so ymmv.
Mine's plugged directly into the router so maybe that helps. Yeah there's a tiny bit of lag but not so much that it bothers me or comes close to offsetting the enjoyment I'm getting out of playing on my Vita. Even more so when I wouldn't have been able to barely play at all yet otherwise.

ALL PS4s are loud. They just are. It greatly depends on what you're playing, of course. Killzone sent my neighbor's PS4 into vacuum-cleaner mode. Resogun on my PS4 treats it the same way. They all get loud, but all calm down quickly when you exit the game completely (I don't mean hitting the PS button - I mean actually closing the application).
My PS4 has been whisper quiet with everything I have played so far. (Resogun, Killzone, CoD:Ghosts, Assassins Creed IV)

Folks on some neogaf thread I found through google (I don't normally visit that site) have gotten together and determined that most of the failed consoles have the manufacturer of Hongfujin Yantai China with a date of August or September.
Looks like most if not all PS4's were manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai, China.

Mine is loud if im installing something or right after putting a disc in, otherwise its barely as loud as my ps3.

On a side note, remote play is freaking awesome. Lagless and i can play Injustice on one screen while my brother plays with the Dualshock 4

Killzone really kicks the fan into overdrive with my system (even after installing), but it's whisper quiet when playing Battlefield.

Mine is loud if im installing something or right after putting a disc in, otherwise its barely as loud as my ps3.

On a side note, remote play is freaking awesome. Lagless and i can play Injustice on one screen while my brother plays with the Dualshock 4
I still have a hard time understanding the appeal of remote play. I like my Vita and play it the typical places you would play a hand-held system. Why, exactly, would you play a fighting game against somebody, in the same room, on the same TV, on a tiny hand-held screen? Is it just because you don't have a second controller right now?

If no one saw it in the other thread, I hit a glitch on KZ. I was down to the last objective on Ch 3 and waited for the checkpoint, and turned off PS4. This morning I turn it on, and while I am at a checkpoint triggered AFTER you clear an objective, I had to do ALL objective again, basically starting the level over.

My BB unit has no issues.

I still have a hard time understanding the appeal of remote play. I like my Vita and play it the typical places you would play a hand-held system. Why, exactly, would you play a fighting game against somebody, in the same room, on the same TV, on a tiny hand-held screen? Is it just because you don't have a second controller right now?
Remote play is a huge feature for me because if my girlfriend wants to watch TV or netflix or something I can just keep playing my PS4 game on my Vita.

I just popped in here to see what things are going on:

1)  Gamestop PS4.  No issues.

2)  It's pretty damned quiet, unless I'm doing the initial install.  That is fairly loud.  The fans are WAY quieter than my PS3 or 360.  Also, it's pretty cool to touch back there.  It's warm but not like scorching.  And that's after 4 hrs of Need for Speed Rivals.

3)  My PS4 is hooked up to multiple TV's based on what's going on.  I have it on my 60+ for obvious fun.  But when that's taken up by the wife or the kid, I play on my desk.  But when I wanna chillax in my recliner, that's when the Vita is perfect.

4)  Anyone use Sony's little warranty?  Hard to turn down 36 months of coverage @ $60 including accidental damage.

My only issue so far is when I go into the PSN store, not all the images load.

Oh that's an issue?  It does that to me as well.  I even went back to ensure I was still PS+.  I figure that's a network problem though and not a PS4 issue.

This. I've thought about changing it to my normal MMO alias because it's awkward and you can't turn it off (but I'd have to identify myself as such if I ever had a support request which could get weird haha). It's not that I'm trying to hide behind a moniker, but I do as much as possible to protect my identity in an age of digital theft. I hate the blog wall that keeps spewing my name played this game and wish I could disable it. That and I miss my theme that made it more personalized and 'homely'.

I hope they let us customize more things in the future because right now I don't like how things are laid out. I don't want to see every game I have on the bottom screen unless I have the disc in the system or it's an installed game like Contrast. Just some minor nuances but if it isn't broken, don't fix it applies.

I'm not sure if you've found an answer but I noticed when I was setting up my GF's account at one point there was a screen where we either selected to show her real name and some Facebook info or just her PSN ID.

How well remote play is working for me really makes me wish they could go back and make it work this well on PS3 so I could play though my whole backlog like this.

Oh that's an issue? It does that to me as well. I even went back to ensure I was still PS+. I figure that's a network problem though and not a PS4 issue.
Yeah I assumed as much was just really weird.

Only issue I've had so far from my Amazon unit is NBA 2K14 acting kind of wonky. Takes a while to load, intermittent freezing for 2-3 seconds. Worked fine yesterday...I'm guessing it is disc related though since everything else I've played (COD:G, BF4, KZ, Madden) continue to work fine.

I know this shouldn't cause any issues but has anyone turned off the system while downloading a game (Contrast for example)?  Also I need some more PSN friends.  I have Knack, Killzone, BF4, AC4 and Need for Speed Rivals.

The only thing i hate about the ps4, is that it still has images as avatars! Wish they changed that for next gen and be like wii or xbox that have 3d avatars one can customize!!!!

Only issue I've had so far from my Amazon unit is NBA 2K14 acting kind of wonky. Takes a while to load, intermittent freezing for 2-3 seconds. Worked fine yesterday...I'm guessing it is disc related though since everything else I've played (COD:G, BF4, KZ, Madden) continue to work fine.
It's not disc related, since the 50gb of game data is downloaded to the HDD, then runs off the HDD.

Ask Wii U owners this.

[quote name="MIX_MASTER_ICE" post="11246235" timestamp="1384636425"]
I still have a hard time understanding the appeal of remote play. I like my Vita and play it the typical places you would play a hand-held system. Why, exactly, would you play a fighting game against somebody, in the same room, on the same TV, on a tiny hand-held screen? Is it just because you don't have a second controller right now?[/quote]
Next gen gaming while in the toilet. Hehe!

Count me as another CAG with a broken PS4. Decided to open mine today and I have no video output. Received it from Amazon.
Same here.

My only options seem to be return it to Amazon for a full refund or wait on Sony's help line for 2 hours and then maybe they'll offer to send me a box so that I can ship it to them so they can replace some parts, so it would technically be refurbished. I would feel a bit cheated if I paid $400 for a refurbished system. I was looking forward to this weekend for months, but receiving a dud system has really spoiled it for me. To make it even worse, I have 4 games that I'm just sitting here staring at with no way to play them. :whistle2:(

Can anyone tell me what seems to be the best course of action for folks who have received dud consoles from Amazon?

With all these problems, mainly seeming to come from Amazon purchases, sure makes me glad I canceled my Amazon pre-order.

My Uncharted avatar carried over to PS4.

bread's done
Back