PlayStation 4 Pre-Order Thread *GREATNESS OUT NOW!*

Same here.

My only options seem to be return it to Amazon for a full refund or wait on Sony's help line for 2 hours and then maybe they'll offer to send me a box so that I can ship it to them so they can replace some parts, so it would technically be refurbished. I would feel a bit cheated if I paid $400 for a refurbished system. I was looking forward to this weekend for months, but receiving a dud system has really spoiled it for me. To make it even worse, I have 4 games that I'm just sitting here staring at with no way to play them. :whistle2:(

Can anyone tell me what seems to be the best course of action for folks who have received dud consoles from Amazon?
Return everything then wait for a bundle to release. If the failure rate is high for the next few months wait until it dies down. Return the games because you'll be able to get them cheaper later.

With all these problems, mainly seeming to come from Amazon purchases, sure makes me glad I canceled my Amazon pre-order.

My Uncharted avatar carried over to PS4.
I kind of wonder if Amazon got the first batches off the assembly line or something? I'm sure they can track these by lot number or something and could probably just contact everyone impacted and do a recall but they probably won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
The latency for me just about killed any enjoyment I might have had with remote play. My PS4 isn't hooked up via ethernet, though, so ymmv.

One thing I have learnt is the 'allow direct connect' option under remote play isn't a good idea unless you are sitting next to it. It basically sets up the ps4 as a base station and a wifi connection directly between the PS4 and the vita.

Personally I found that using your existing wireless is much more flexible (you're using your existing 'real router' - and obviously gets more reliable if the ps4 is hard wired.

Stopped by a target this morning.  Was first there when they opened at 8 AM.  Headed right to electronics where the buffer guy was still cleaning the floors.

No one in site.  All I was looking to do was exchange GTA5 for NFS: Rivals using the 3 for 2 deal and 30% off coupon.

Lo and behold, there was a PS4.  The manager said they just got it in last night (Friday night) - they had sold out of their initial allotment.

These two teenagers came into electronics, totally saw me standing there and acted like the system was theirs.  They were lucky I have one on preorder that I am waiting for.  Because I was there first and if PS4 was on my list I would have been fighting for it.  That was totally rude.  They didn't even acknowledge that I was standing there.

Luckily, unlike my wife the other day, I had little trouble getting the exchange done. 

I just managed to get my PS4 working. It wouldn't work at all on primary TV through a receiver, so I took it to the spare TV in the guest room and eventually it booted up. I updated to 1.5, then brought it back to the downstairs TV and now it seems to be working fine. Weird...

Had a bunch of people from CAG add me on PSN... and anytime I try to invite them to anything no reply. Fun stuff >_>

I just have BF4 right now, but Lego Marvel and Need for Speed are coming in the mail. 

Anyone know how to upgrade your stream quality? I have Comcast, and I hate them because they limit your Upload speed to increase your DL speed. My stream seemed ok, didn't lag much and the quality was OK. I changed the broadcast settings to Best quality but I was expecting a little more.

Really great article here. IMO, its way too early to tell if these issues regarding the ps4 will be as widespread as the RROD.

"Social media takes perspective away and gives us a negatively distorted vision of reality. Eight years ago if you had a problem with a new console, you had very few options besides calling support, putting up with an often dismissive customer service representative and hope for the best."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/16/bricked-consoles-internet-and-social-media-give-us-power-but-take-perspective-away/

With all these problems, mainly seeming to come from Amazon purchases, sure makes me glad I canceled my Amazon pre-order.
I had no issues with my Amazon order, same goes for one of my friends. Also, that woman in your avatar has terrible boobs.

There are more reports of failed units from amazon mainly because there where a lot more people who bought their units from them for sure. Hope this is only a lot/batch production we are talking about, that sony can eventually pinpoint or something. I would hate to know that my working unit has the potential to fail me anytime due to poor quality materials or design.

Really great article here. IMO, its way too early to tell if these issues regarding the ps4 will be as widespread as the RROD.

"Social media takes perspective away and gives us a negatively distorted vision of reality. Eight years ago if you had a problem with a new console, you had very few options besides calling support, putting up with an often dismissive customer service representative and hope for the best."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/16/bricked-consoles-internet-and-social-media-give-us-power-but-take-perspective-away/

I had no issues with my Amazon order, same goes for one of my friends. Also, that woman in your avatar has terrible boobs.
Wow that guy basically plagorised an article on this I read earlier today. I agree that it's hard to tell how widespread it is since it's understandable that the folks with bricked consoles would be more outspoken but I have a hard time believing it's .4% since that would be like 4,000 consoles.

The article I read earlier by the way.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/11/16/social-media-making-it-hard-to-gauge-scope-of-ps4s-technical-difficulties/

One thing I have learnt is the 'allow direct connect' option under remote play isn't a good idea unless you are sitting next to it. It basically sets up the ps4 as a base station and a wifi connection directly between the PS4 and the vita.

Personally I found that using your existing wireless is much more flexible (you're using your existing 'real router' - and obviously gets more reliable if the ps4 is hard wired.
I've done some messing around with remote play and wasn't really impressed with Ghosts, tons of lag in multiplayer, ps4 is hard wired, gigabit router, static ips on vita and ps4, wireless n 300 connection to the vita.

if anyone is playing knack, add me, ritchardf, im somewhere in level 3 or 4, and i really want some friends playing it so i can utilize the option to pick a different item in the chests i open.

Am I retarded or is there a reason why all of my PSN stuff is not showing up? I just received $30 from the PSN store promo and I see no credits or anything. I've also purchased Flower before yet it wants me to pay again...?

He's right though. We dont have any clue as to how many ps4s are defective. It could be under 4,000 for all we know. Everything just seems magnified now with social media.
I agree but I think it's very likely more than 4,000 given the number of reports here alone. That said, I'm certainly keeping an eye on things and I imagine within the next few weeks things will start to become more clear.

My PS4 arrived yesterday, ran the 1.50 update from a USB flash drive and it went fine.  Had  a lot of trouble connecting to PSN yesterday, but finally got in and was able to download Resogun, Contrast, and Warframe.  For some strange reason, Flower won't download even though I purchased it previously and have it on my Vita and PS3.  Every time I go to the Flower product page on the Playstation Store, it doesn't have a download link, just a weird icon that has a thumb pointing up and a "5.4k" (or something like that) next to it.  So I can't get Flower right now for the PS4.

Otherwise, I played Resogun last night and loved it.  Great little shooter, can't believe they just gave it out for free!  (to PS+ users).

So for now my PS4 is working fine.  I'll be buying an extended warranty soon just to be safe, probably from Sony.

I'm currently in Brazil, so I had to get my Amazon PS4 order sent to a friend in the States, who was then going to ship it to me. Now, from what I've been reading, I should probably ask him to open the box and see if the console is working before doing that, right? What should I tell him to expect? If it doesn't output a video signal it's broken, or is there more to it?

So much for opening a brand new video game console myself...

if anyone is playing knack, add me, ritchardf, im somewhere in level 3 or 4, and i really want some friends playing it so i can utilize the option to pick a different item in the chests i open.
Haven't started yet, but I'll give you an add. Still trying to download everything since PSN is being funky. Handle is Link2999

My PS4 arrived yesterday, ran the 1.50 update from a USB flash drive and it went fine. Had a lot of trouble connecting to PSN yesterday, but finally got in and was able to download Resogun, Contrast, and Warframe. For some strange reason, Flower won't download even though I purchased it previously and have it on my Vita and PS3. Every time I go to the Flower product page on the Playstation Store, it doesn't have a download link, just a weird icon that has a thumb pointing up and a "5.4k" (or something like that) next to it. So I can't get Flower right now for the PS4.

Otherwise, I played Resogun last night and loved it. Great little shooter, can't believe they just gave it out for free! (to PS+ users).

So for now my PS4 is working fine. I'll be buying an extended warranty soon just to be safe, probably from Sony.
I had the same issue with Flower and I think it is connected to PSN being kind of wonky right now. The way I was able to get it was by going to 'My Library' inside the PS Store. From there I had the option to download Flower even though I couldn't from the store page. Hopefully that works for you. If not give them a couple of more days to get PSN more stabilized

Had a bunch of people from CAG add me on PSN... and anytime I try to invite them to anything no reply. Fun stuff >_>

I just have BF4 right now, but Lego Marvel and Need for Speed are coming in the mail.

Anyone know how to upgrade your stream quality? I have Comcast, and I hate them because they limit your Upload speed to increase your DL speed. My stream seemed ok, didn't lag much and the quality was OK. I changed the broadcast settings to Best quality but I was expecting a little more.
That sucks, though I was having the same problem with people on Resogun. They were telling me to add them and then don't join.

Lets be fair here, anyone with common sense knows this. In fact, many people (myself included) have been saying that on here and other sites. Though, there are so many reasons not to jump to this conclusion. First and foremost, the false positive. People hear that PS4's have issues, they get theirs, they can't do something and assume they got a DOA PS4. There are a LOT of people who will forget to plug in their HDMI or have it on the wrong HDMI and simply assume they're one of the people affected. It happens all the time and you'll find countless reviews where the person complaining was doing something wrong.

Trust me, there really are stupid people like this. My friend bought my Vita and it he got the blue light of death. First thing he does? Bitches me out for selling him a defective piece of junk, then tells me he was spewing hate about me on social networks for screwing him. I told him how to fix it (something any idiot could have done with google) and suddenly the Vita is amazing again.

Anyway, there will be stupid people, there will be hate filled fanboys that jump on the train and there will be legitimate people with legitimate problems.

Wow that guy basically plagorised an article on this I read earlier today. I agree that it's hard to tell how widespread it is since it's understandable that the folks with bricked consoles would be more outspoken but I have a hard time believing it's .4% since that would be like 4,000 consoles.

The article I read earlier by the way.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/11/16/social-media-making-it-hard-to-gauge-scope-of-ps4s-technical-difficulties/
.4 is just a stat they came up with after adding the various factors involved. The truth is, Sony doesn't have a real figure and shouldn't be taken as a fact.

I saw 3 PS4's at BB this morning (around 10 when they opened).  I saw 1 at Target.  Those were just today.  I imagine it's like the WiiU.  I got one of those launch day because there was a whole STACK of them at BB.  Whereas Gamestop told me I'd be on the list for a couple of weeks before I'd get mine.

P.S.  Apparently one idiot was complaining his PS4 wouldn't turn on.  He was hitting the PS button on the remote before setting up the PS4.  So it wouldn't turn on.  Idiot tried returning the PS4 when all he needed to do was hit the power button.

I had the same issue with Flower and I think it is connected to PSN being kind of wonky right now. The way I was able to get it was by going to 'My Library' inside the PS Store. From there I had the option to download Flower even though I couldn't from the store page. Hopefully that works for you. If not give them a couple of more days to get PSN more stabilized
Thanks for the tip, I did go to "My Library" where Flower shows up as part of my library, but when I press "X" on it from my controller, it kicks me out of the PSN store completely. I can go right back into the store, but it does the same thing over and over. I'm assuming that eventually it will be fixed, so its no big deal. Very happy that my PS4 is up and running OK!

Just got done being glued to my chair for several hours. No problems at all (Still Knock on Wood). Played Killzone for a tiny bit but I didn't really get into it. After playing COD I felt it was a little slow and I don't like how the aiming is Going to give it another shot later on. I've really been glued to AC4 it's a lot better than I was expecting, and I haven't even gotten to the open world part yet.

(Edit) For what it's worth my system was from Amazon and I installed the update off the PSN.

I bought one avatar for my ps3, but it does not seem to carry over to ps4. That sucks :(
I have several premium avatars. The PS4 only carried over the one I was using at that moment on PS3. As soon as I switched my avatar to something else on the PS4 I then lost access to that one premium avatar as well. It's bound to be something Sony eventually addresses.

Damn I just decided to randomly see how the included Mic is. It sucks I can't even get the Earbud in my ear, it's too big (I know that's what she said :p)

Should have just bundled an over ear microphone like the 360/Xbox One.

Mine from Amazon works perfectly.

One small thing I don't like is that I watch Netflix a lot (amazing on PS4 btw), and on PS3 I can go in and turn off my controller while watching a movie/show. On PS4 you can also turn off your controller, except that while doing so it pauses what you're watching. This would be swell except that you just turned off the controller so now have no way of playing the movie again except to...turn the controller back on. So you really have no way of watching something and turning off your controller immediately like on PS3. Hopefully they fix that.

One small thing I don't like is that I watch Netflix a lot (amazing on PS4 btw), and on PS3 I can go in and turn off my controller while watching a movie/show. On PS4 you can also turn off your controller, except that while doing so it pauses what you're watching. This would be swell except that you just turned off the controller so now have no way of playing the movie again except to...turn the controller back on. So you really have no way of watching something and turning off your controller immediately like on PS3. Hopefully they fix that.

Ha, I was just trying to explain that to my wife and she could give a fudge less because she didn't get what I was saying. You can go under settings though and set the controller to turn off after 10 minutes. Not immediately, but it's something I guess.

I'm loving my ps4 but is anybody having problems with fifa? It keeps sayingb5 minutes to install but it never installs. I can only play play now matches.

Also add me to your friends lists I only have a 2 friends. Jetsetpoker is the ID

Is anyone running their PS4 through a cheap unpowered HDMI switch and having it work without turning on another device attached to the switch to power it?  Trying to figure out if it's a fluke of this switch or the PS4 where I have to turn on the PS3 or WiiU to get the switch to power on.

Oh that sucks. I watch netflix alot too. At the moment, you can set your dualshock4 to turn off automatically after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity in the controller settings.

I was going to sell mine but the prices have dropped massively, not that they were high. Sony got it down this time and there was actually stock. You can still find some PS4's in stores though it takes some looking.

I just opened mine up that I was going to sell and updating it now. I only spent $183 on my PS4 so it's not a lost for me. Either way, can't wait to play it since I wanted one for launch anyways but the money was too good to not try to sell it.

Too bad all the stores around here are sold out of Need For Speed: Rivals. It's the only game I actually want to play but I guess it's not too much of a bad thing.

I saw 3 PS4's at BB this morning (around 10 when they opened). I saw 1 at Target. Those were just today. I imagine it's like the WiiU. I got one of those launch day because there was a whole STACK of them at BB. Whereas Gamestop told me I'd be on the list for a couple of weeks before I'd get mine.

P.S. Apparently one idiot was complaining his PS4 wouldn't turn on. He was hitting the PS button on the remote before setting up the PS4. So it wouldn't turn on. Idiot tried returning the PS4 when all he needed to do was hit the power button.
TBH, the power button is quite small and hidden on the PS4.

TBH, the power button is quite small and hidden on the PS4.
It's not even a button, it's a weird touch thing that's not clear where you're supposed to actually touch. Same with the eject. Only thing hardware wise that I really wish they had done differently so far.

I saw 3 PS4's at BB this morning (around 10 when they opened). I saw 1 at Target. Those were just today. I imagine it's like the WiiU. I got one of those launch day because there was a whole STACK of them at BB. Whereas Gamestop told me I'd be on the list for a couple of weeks before I'd get mine.

P.S. Apparently one idiot was complaining his PS4 wouldn't turn on. He was hitting the PS button on the remote before setting up the PS4. So it wouldn't turn on. Idiot tried returning the PS4 when all he needed to do was hit the power button.
Which state was this?

It's not even a button, it's a weird touch thing that's not clear where you're supposed to actually touch. Same with the eject. Only thing hardware wise that I really wish they had done differently so far.
Yeah they went back to how the PS3 phat power and eject operated. They are touch sensitive.

Oh that sucks. I watch netflix alot too. At the moment, you can set your dualshock4 to turn off automatically after 5 or 10 minutes of inactivity in the controller settings.
I wonder if the PS3 Sony brand bluetooth remote works on PS4?

Annapolis, MD for both.

Yea, the power and eject are small but visually I like that they're hidden where they are.

I've been spamming Flower pics onto Facebook this evening...  now to go blow some shit up in BF4 :)  (Rivals has kept my attention for quite a bit though)\

And just a pissy little FYI... for those of you who have the PS Camera... if you're playing games, the MIC might be on with no camera (or red light indicating that it's on) on.  I found out the hard way.  I was complaining about an unfair cop bust and someone goes "I hear you there" .  I was like "Open mic?"  He replied "Yep".  Immediately dug to find the turn mic off on Rivals.   :)

Annapolis, MD for both.

Yea, the power and eject are small but visually I like that they're hidden where they are.

I've been spamming Flower pics onto Facebook this evening... now to go blow some shit up in BF4 :) (Rivals has kept my attention for quite a bit though)\

And just a pissy little FYI... for those of you who have the PS Camera... if you're playing games, the MIC might be on with no camera (or red light indicating that it's on) on. I found out the hard way. I was complaining about an unfair cop bust and someone goes "I hear you there" . I was like "Open mic?" He replied "Yep". Immediately dug to find the turn mic off on Rivals. :)
Was trying to find this option today, where was it? My quick fix was to plug in the crappy headset and set it to mute.

And just a pissy little FYI... for those of you who have the PS Camera... if you're playing games, the MIC might be on with no camera (or red light indicating that it's on) on. I found out the hard way. I was complaining about an unfair cop bust and someone goes "I hear you there" . I was like "Open mic?" He replied "Yep". Immediately dug to find the turn mic off on Rivals. :whistle2:)
Yeah, it's the default state for all EA games it seems. The NFS series has been like that since at least Hot Pursuit though, maybe even Burnout Paradise but my memory fails me on that one. If I even have a mic attached it's always on mute but the constant noise is a bit much for me.

Uhh... I believe... Options Button, L/R button over til you get the setup options, audio option, check box (I believe third down).  That was IN Rivals though.  Not sure if I can just mute it.  I don't need the voice functions.  I like being able to log in with a smile and a controller though.  That's pleasant.

I just don't understand why if the CAMERA/MIC are on... why not have the red indicator telling me so.  It's not like I'm anti-social but I have a kid and a wife in the background yammering away...

Everyone check your emails!

I just got 3 cents back from my Amazon PS4 order.

Nice!!
HOORAH!!! likewise

Also got my PS4 from amazon and so far no problems. It's been on since 11am

love the controller.

PS: any other deals on PS4 games save for the Target (KZ not in stock in my local T)?

Im thinking I should just hold off until BF arrives

bread's done
Back