Playstation 5 Re-stock Thread

So whats the deal with people spreading rumors about Amazon canceling preorders? Even though wario said its the real deal
People like to make shit up. I also saw someone in the comments on the PS5 product page say that five of their friends got banned on Amazon for ordering through that link Wario64 posted.

So the digital version really is looking like it's gonna be very limited. From what I've seen, most retail stores got like 5 times as many physical versions compared to the digital. Absolutely crazy to me. 

No luck on the digital and no email, guess It wasn't meant to be. I'll probably make the Xbox my first next gen system instead. Before some of you jump down my throat, I said the first one I get, I will wait for Sony to get it's shit together. Being from a marketing background, Sony really screwed this one up, won't make a huge difference, but some people won't forget about it.  

No luck on the digital and no email, guess It wasn't meant to be. I'll probably make the Xbox my first next gen system instead. Before some of you jump down my throat, I said the first one I get, I will wait for Sony to get it's shit together. Being from a marketing background, Sony really screwed this one up, won't make a huge difference, but some people won't forget about it.
I’d still keep an eye out in the next 2 weeks though. I’m not entirely sure though who is 100% to blame as Walmart did pretty much say F it and jump the gun and everyone followed suit from some places I read.

People like to make shit up. I also saw someone in the comments on the PS5 product page say that five of their friends got banned on Amazon for ordering through that link Wario64 posted.
I talked to Amazon CS on the phone about my order (was trying to take advantage of the Capital One promotion retroactively). But they made no comments about the order being fraudulent or that there was any issue with it at all.

I hope that anybody who wants one can get one. I think we can tell by the insanity in this thread, that next week's pre-orders for the Xbox Series S/X will go about a smoothly as this, which is not very smoothly at all.

I hope that anybody who wants one can get one. I think we can tell by the insanity in this thread, that next week's pre-orders for the Xbox Series S/X will go about a smoothly as this, which is not very smoothly at all.
It’ll be busy for Xbox but my GameStop had a two-page waitlist for the PS5...they barely have half a page for Xbox. Scalpers are going crazy right now with these preorders too.

If Black Friday is all digital this year because of Covid 19, we are so screwed. Imagine 100 or 1000 times the amount of people wanting a PS5 or an Xbox Series S/X going online all at once to try to get grandma a $5 toaster oven "door buster" deal from Walmart. The internet will melt.

Ebay sold listings show many that are going anywhere from $685 to $1299. People are beginning to realize that odds of getting one before next year are probably slim. 15 million not nearly enough in this awesome economy. Tonight the Scalpers feast.

I've been on CAG since like 2008. The panic of a console release is such pure madness and joy to witness
I'm interested to see if this ends up like the PS3 release where 90% of the people (primarily people who normally didn't do e-commerce) preordering them thought they were going to make thousands of dollars on each console, but then barely made any profits.

OR if this will be like WII/PS2 where there was a legitimate demand and relatively large dividends for months thereafter.

Glad I'm not involved either way.

Ebay sold listings show many that are going anywhere from $685 to $1299. People are beginning to realize that odds of getting one before next year are probably slim. 15 million not nearly enough in this awesome economy. Tonight the Scalpers feast.
im going to hope that those are, say, tech vloggers and the like who absolutely need it at launch.

the idea of paying a 1000 bucks to get a system that's designed to be distributed to 150 million people is pretty funny

I'm interested to see if this ends up like the PS3 release where 90% of the people (primarily people who normally didn't do e-commerce) preordering them thought they were going to make thousands of dollars on each console, but then barely made any profits.

OR if this will be like WII/PS2 where there was a legitimate demand and relatively large dividends for months thereafter.

Glad I'm not involved either way.
I buy for 3 kids so its extra stress getting 4 consoles. Luckily 1 is graduated now from college and he got his own pre order in. My biggest feat was getting everyone Switch's on release years ago

We still have 56 days left, ppl.. there will be more than enough ps5 for anybody cuz of pandemic. Sony will be dumb to make a shortage

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not even sure how somebody can sell something that they don't even physically have yet. How does that even work? Is it just the promise that if you send me $1,000 I might ship my PS5 to you when it shows up? That seems scummy. It also exploits the love of parents just trying to make their kids happy during the holidays, because little Timmy's friends will have the edge in Fortnite if he doesn't own a PS5 also.

Somebody should report Amazon, Best Buy, Wal-Mart
LOL
Oh, they have them already. Otherwise they wouldn't know how many they can sell. They just have to sit on them until the actual release date. I worked in retail and we were getting our Black Friday products in August, and our Christmas stuff in September.

Yes, Sony would be dumb to let the Chinese factories they rely on but don't control to close down.

We still have 56 days left, ppl.. there will be more than enough ps5 for anybody cuz of pandemic. Sony will be dumb to make a shortage

Oh, they have them already. Otherwise they wouldn't know how many they can sell. They just have to sit on them until the actual release date. I worked in retail and we were getting our Black Friday products in August, and our Christmas stuff in September.
As someone who is a supervisor at a distribution center for one of the biggest retailers in the country (i.e. someone who actually understands retail) this statement is hilarious.

They literally don't. Retailers are given a product allotment by the manufacturer or distributor, but it's not guaranteed and physical product likely won't start arriving to retailer facilities until the week before or so.

For the people who did a pre-order through Sony.

57ZlJZc.jpg

na well... at least my apple watch 6 pre-order is shipping.

Shipped: Delivers Sep 25, 2020 by Standard Delivery

As someone who is a supervisor at a distribution center for one of the biggest retailers in the country (i.e. someone who actually understands retail) this statement is hilarious.
As an FP&A at a multi billion dollar company no business on earth would hold up cash in inventory so long. Makes no sense agree with you.

I got one in via the Best Buy app at about 3 AM - so now I've got BBY as my primary and Target as a backup, and I'll nix Target in a week or so if everything looks good on the BBY end.

Interesting. After all that effort to pre-order one last night I immediately canceled this morning after learning that there's absolutely no reason for me to get one. And somehow I'm totally fine with that.

Tried throughout the night last night to get an order in at Best Buy, getting all the way to the 'click here to proceed to payment', but couldn't finish the deal.  Won't break my heart if I have to wait post-launch to get a unit, but still quite a flustercluck to put it mildly.  The only thing Sony is risking with this super-limited launch is my lack of will and self-control to keep me from just getting an XSX when those orders open up...

Second in line and all I had to do was miss eight days of work.

With the money you would have made working, you could have bought from a scalper.

In theory, yes.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding these in the stores during Christmas.   Coupled with one of the worst recessions we've ever been in with lack luster launch titles and high price.  I have a feeling alot of people are preordering these to flip and the same happened to ps3.... tons were being returned by dec.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding these in the stores during Christmas. Coupled with one of the worst recessions we've ever been in with lack luster launch titles and high price. I have a feeling alot of people are preordering these to flip and the same happened to ps3.... tons were being returned by dec.
People said the same about the PS4. That most people are only getting them to flip. You'll have scalpers like normal, but the PS brand is booming and fans will get this to play.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding these in the stores during Christmas. Coupled with one of the worst recessions we've ever been in with lack luster launch titles and high price. I have a feeling alot of people are preordering these to flip and the same happened to ps3.... tons were being returned by dec.
While I agree the U.S. is mired in an economic freefall, which will only get worse (and worse) as we edge closer to the holidays, console launches are (almost) always under-supplied and over-demanded, and I expect that to be the case with PS5.

The PlayStation brand easily has enough loyal followers to clear the 11M or so consoles the Company intends to ship over the initial launch window. I'd venture to guess Sony could ship even twice that many and sell-through with no issue. And yes, even in this economy.

Also, mind you both Sony and MS are going for global launches. In the past, these consoles would release many months apart between North America and other regions, but this is either same-day (MS) and with Sony, just a week apart. In other words, there will be mass shortage and no way for Sony to come close to meeting enthusiast demand across all regions.

So yeah, if you don't pre-order one, you're unlikely to be buying one from a retailer this holiday.

I've only partaken in console launch madness for Nintendo consoles (GCN and Wii U). Launch line-ups are never big enough to get me in (though that Demon's Souls trailer looks amazing). I'll tend to stick with my "old" gen through at least 1-2 years into the next cycle. By then, I often find ten games I want to play. My general rule for buying the next console ten games.

I'm definitely getting the PS5 disc version. Not just because I'm already in the PS4 ecosystem (appreciate the near-full backwards compatibility which effectively provides a back-up PS4), but because the first-party and third-party exclusives for Sony have always interested far more than what MS has offered. For me, Sony's edge with Japanese publishers is the biggest deal-breaker. Even if Xbox gets these titles, it's often well after Sony has had it (e.g., Nier Automata). Of course, then there are the first-party games, which during this past generation, Sony wiped the floor with Microsoft.

Hopefully, Microsoft makes gains on its first-party front, but I'm skeptical that services like Gamepass would drive MS to finance many AAA titles. I'm a diehard physical media gamer. While I won't deny the benefits of Gamepass, I think it also represents the mobile gaming equivalent for consoles. The service essentially cheapens games, and its business model (I fear) only allows for production of largely mediocre, mid-tier, and microtransaction-fused titles. All that said, I prefer the Xbox controller to Sony's, so if MS can fix its first-party shortage, may be I offer some support for Series X (again, the disc version!).

I've said this before, but I'm no fan of a largely digital VG landscape. That said, I'm aware it's inevitable at this point. I do think PS5/Series X are the last disc-based consoles (heck, a mid-gen refresh may even do away with the disc drives altogether), so it may be my last VG console, period (well, that and the allegedly revised Super Switch next year).

Giving 1-2 years will also let me see how publishers intend to handle releasing games. I expect many publishers will start to drop physical editions since mid-tier (or A, AA) releases are less download heavy, and (let's face it) the economics just work out far better. If this goes the way of what we're seeing in films (and I suspect it will), smaller publishers like Limited Run and iam8bit are going to become much larger players in the publishing space (think Kino Lorber and Shout Factory for films) to add diversity to physical media buyers like me.

Nintendo's recent move to "limit" physical sales of Mario 3D All Stars has me worried that others will punch up the same to cause people to panic buy and fork over premiums. Sadly, premiums for physical media are only going up, and will keep going in that direction. Not sure what the ceiling really is for physical media, but it's probably higher than $70. Of course, that depends on the game and may be consumer outcry will keep that in check during this generation.

Anyways, enough rant from me. Definitely excited to have the new consoles around the corner, and all the awesome games that are coming.

I live in DC and haven't had any trouble finding a Wii, Switch, ps3 or ps4 during launch walking in to target and bestbuy.   However PS2 was hard as fck to find.

I live in DC and haven't had any trouble finding a Wii, Switch, ps3 or ps4 during launch walking in to target and bestbuy. However PS2 was hard as fck to find.
PS2 was so much more hyped as it had a DVD player and cost less than most stand alone DVD players or really even dvd disk drives on PCs. It was a no brainer to wait and buy a ps2. That sucker was sold out for months but I got one on or around launch.

bread's done
Back