Playstation Deals, PS Plus games, and Discussion

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads!

Feel free to post here about the newest Playstation deals, PS Plus games, and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Official PlayStation™Store US

March 2024 games (available on March 5th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog

March 2024 games (available on March 19th):

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
PlayStation Premium | Classics

Last edited:
It’s exclusive, but not first party. From Software just published Bloodborne with Sony.
Oh yeah, I see Japan Studio (RIP) and first party mentioned so often with BB that I forget about FromSoftware actually doing the development. Does FromSotware own the Bloodborne IP? Microsoft should swoop in with the money bags and make Bloodborne 2 an Xbox exclusive.

When it's exclusive it makes the distinction less obvious to me. I haven't seen anybody call Demon's Souls remake a third party game even though Sony doesn't own Bluepoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I see Japan Studio (RIP) and first party mentioned so often with BB that I forget about FromSoftware actually doing the development. Does FromSotware own the Bloodborne IP? Microsoft should swoop in with the money bags and make Bloodborne 2 an Xbox exclusive.

When it's exclusive it makes the distinction less obvious to me. I haven't seen anybody call Demon's Souls remake a third party game even though Sony doesn't own Bluepoint.
Sony does own the rights to Bloodborne, as well as the Demon’s Souls IP. I hope Bluepoint will remake Bloodborne since Japan Studio is no more.

I'm glad I unlurked, because this has been an illuminating discussion. What a nice summary you have here, one that I think myself and anyone can read and sort of "get it" a little from reading. Thanks. You did "buy" my attention mentioning Next Gen mag tho. Were you a subscriber back when they printed the names of all subscribers on pages that said, "Next Generation Salutes Those Who GET IT." I tore the page out that had my name, highlighted it, and put it on my wall for years with sticky tack. I think I was in high school.

Anyway, you've done well for yourself, certainly much better than I have! Sounds like you've had to make compromises, too, but I admire how you've navigated it.

And of course I agree with you that labor is its own issue, a serious one. And I understand what you're saying here, that maybe it could be kept separate. That said, I don't know how we deal with important, serious issues, without getting people's attention, and without trying to show them how it applies to their daily lives. But maybe we should be focusing on their daily lives rather than the daily lives of game devs. I really don't know. I also like Jim Sterling but have basically never watched him... ever... So maybe I would be annoyed too. I don't know.

Get what you're saying either way tho.
Thanks for coming out of lurking to voice your opinion. You brought up some excellent points. I agree with you that is good to bring these working condition issues up in all forms of media.

I loved Next Generation. My favorite video game magazine for sure. I was a subscriber to Next Generation through it's run. That was really awesome of them list subscribers like that.

As far as doing well for myself I feel incredibly blessed that things worked out the way they did for me. I grew up poor and was in the military before I started realizing I needed to finish my college degree so I could get a programming job which is what I really wanted to do for a living. I am still coding after 24+ years. So far I have avoided getting promoted to my level of incompetence .

You may not be bothered by Jim Sterlings newer videos like I was. I did watch quite a few of Jim's gaming industry work practices videos over the last several months. The problem is that's predominately what he has been producing for quite some time. I prefer his videos where he plays bad Steam/PS4 games. Some of those play throughs make me laugh out loud quite often. I occasionally go back and re-watch some of these videos. Like I said I like being entertained when I am consuming video game related media.

(Sega Saturn games)

Do you guys think emulation will solve this?
We've been through a few console generations already where it's been shown emulated rereleases don't really impact the value of rare collector titles. The people willing to spend super money on physical originals want the physical originals.. it's not about the play experience, it's about the nostalgia and having those collector items. In some cases emulated rereleases actually cause the value of originals to spike higher.

Emulation is the solution as far as being able to actually play these titles you may never otherwise get access to.. it always has been. And it will continue to progress, whether or not Sega and other IP owners are behind it. Actually, it most likely won't be Sega or other IP owners who will be doing it.

We've been through a few console generations already where it's been shown emulated rereleases don't really impact the value of rare collector titles. The people willing to spend super money on physical originals want the physical originals.. it's not about the play experience, it's about the nostalgia and having those collector items. In some cases emulated rereleases actually cause the value of originals to spike higher.
Yeah, Saturn game prices keep going up even though it's easier now than ever to play them 100% accurately on Saturn hardware without the discs thanks to multiple ODE options.

All this talk about this game journalist I never heard of made me want to chime in. This is all my opinion so read if you want.

I stopped following game journalists for the most part when Next Generation magazine went out of print. I will read an article here and there and I still watch Yahtzee game reviews for entertainment more than what he thinks of a game. I was a fan of Jim Sterling on Youtube, but he has become so focused on video game working conditions of late that I have stopped following him. I do sympathize with over worked/undercompensated workers in any industry. Things are getting worse in general for all workers across all industries in my opinion.

I used to care about insight into the video game industry when I was going to college because I desired to be a video game developer in those days. Reality set in for me and I realized how hard it was to get into the game industry and relocation to California did not appeal to me. I live in Maryland and there is a lot of government work in this state. I got into software development for the federal government and that seems to have been a more sound decision for me. The work is not as glamorous as developing a video game, but it is similar work with normal work hours and decent pay.

I do worry about how big business is treating workers across the board. I don't think game industry working conditions should be the focus of video game journalists. Gamers want to be entertained when reading a video game focused article. Real life news about companies overworking and laying off employees is already covered via other news outlets.

That's how I feel anyway.
That's true. Companies are more and more about squeezing every penny out of employees. It especially sucks for us front line workers since the companies were making record profits. My place did give out small bonuses of 1-2 dollars extra per hour worked. But then they cut everyones hours due to the pandemic rules so we had to close at 7/8 instead of 9. So I went down to working 21-25 hours a week after losing the 5-10 hours I would usually get.

Don’t think anyone is anti-advocacy. 

Point is, it’s hard to trust a reported story when the journalist is so obviously biased by his own personal and political beliefs.

That's definitely not the remake I would have chosen. TLoU is almost 8 years old and still looks and plays fine. I would have preferred an announcement of something like The Legend of Dragoon or Legacy of Kain or something.
Lol, this means it will average a remaster every 3 years? :roll:

I mean, I'm not surprised since they'd rather remaster games three times over for a quick cash grab rather than support those games with BC. At least when they did that with Shadows of the Colossus it had been almost a decade. . .

Not a defense of Sony, but at least if the Sony servers go down on PS3 (and I would assume similarly with PS4 in the future), it will be after the storefronts and multiplayer services go down. I.e. at that point there will be no downside to using CFW, as there will be no servers to get banned from. 

I bought a Toshiba 1TB laptop HDD drive from Best Buy a few years ago, I don't think it's still being made though.

A Western Digital or Seagate 1TB would likely be your best bet (links below for reference):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-barracuda-1tb-internal-sata-hard-drive-for-laptops/6164934.p?skuId=6164934

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-1tb-internal-sata-hard-drive-for-laptops/9314126.p?skuId=9314126
Thank you for the recs. So... I bought a 2TB Seagate Barracuda, and it doesn't seem to work; I'm getting a message saying 'the installed hard disk is not supported'. I'm hearing mixed things about the maximum HDD space the PS3 can handle - does anyone else have a 2TB model installed, or should I just return and go for the 1 TB?

Thank you for the recs. So... I bought a 2TB Seagate Barracuda, and it doesn't seem to work; I'm getting a message saying 'the installed hard disk is not supported'. I'm hearing mixed things about the maximum HDD space the PS3 can handle - does anyone else have a 2TB model installed, or should I just return and go for the 1 TB?
Glad I could be of help. Last I saw when I researched before upgrading is 1.5TB. So you will likely need to return it and get a 1TB HDD.

Edit: Had a funny looking typo, lol.

The patches are still there because they can all be downloaded directly from the CDN.  For whatever reason the PS3 query for a patch fails, causing the game to think it’s already up to date.  This has actually been going on for a long time, with some patches sporadically becoming unavailable and then coming back, but people didn’t notice until now with the mad rush to beat the store shutdown.

The games that are unpatchable are the ones that patched from within the game but had their servers disabled.  I believe Resistance falls into this category.

Just an alert for everyone, apparently Sony is disabling downloading patches for games on the PS3. No idea how many but it seems like it just started, people are starting to go through their games now to see.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/psa-various-ps3-updates-no-longer-downloadable-patch-games-now.408426/
F'ing hell. I swore I never go back to Xbox but if this $@!% is happening it's making Xbox more appealing, I really don't care about a PS5 at this point. Seriously I am sick and tired of state of console gaming & what it's becoming. I'm seriously considering just going strictly PC at this point & call it a day.

I mean, isn't this the fate for all systems now at some point? The PS3/360 era brought with it downloadable games, updates and post-launch patches that all seem to be the norm now... once every system gets old enough and they pull the plug on connectivity it seems like we're screwed by all of these platforms going forward.

Kudos to them for not doing it yet, but I feel like it will happen to the 360 at some point here - even though MS are doing a good job at transferring old games to newer systems, it doesn't really address what will happen to the games on your 360 (unless I am completely mistaken about the Xbox ecosystem works). I think people are going to be just as pissed at them as they are this Jack Ryan fella when that comes down the pike.

The patches are still there because they can all be downloaded directly from the CDN. For whatever reason the PS3 query for a patch fails, causing the game to think it’s already up to date. This has actually been going on for a long time, with some patches sporadically becoming unavailable and then coming back, but people didn’t notice until now with the mad rush to beat the store shutdown.
Is there a workaround, or is it just a matter of waiting for it to come back?

F'ing hell. I swore I never go back to Xbox but if this $@!% is happening it's making Xbox more appealing, I really don't care about a PS5 at this point. Seriously I am sick and tired of state of console gaming & what it's becoming. I'm seriously considering just going strictly PC at this point & call it a day.
My guess is that the percentage of gamers who care about games on old systems is really small. Personally I dont care, I barely have enough time to play the monthly PS plus games.

I wonder if starting a petition and boycotting the PS5 will force Sony to fix this issue with both the PS3 and PS4 (and the PS5 if it also has the same issue). The PS5 is six months old and if demand dramatically decreases Sony would have to do something to appease its players.

I wonder if starting a petition and boycotting the PS5 will force Sony to fix this issue with both the PS3 and PS4 (and the PS5 if it also has the same issue). The PS5 is six months old and if demand dramatically decreases Sony would have to do something to appease its players.
That might matter more if the system were conventionally available and not being snapped up by bots...

There’s no way to do this when there’s a global chip shortage and an abundance of scalpers. The only thing we can do is loudly make our concerns known. And I doubt Sony is even listening.

There’s no way to do this when there’s a global chip shortage and an abundance of scalpers. The only thing we can do is loudly make our concerns known. And I doubt Sony is even listening.
I think the only message that Sony will receive from our consumer actions is that closing storefronts for old gaming systems spurs a last second surge of buying activity at full price nonetheless. PS3 and Vita digital game sales will be soaring hundreds or thousands of percentage increases over prior months sales. Don't think there is a great way to send a message here.

I still think this is going to lead to them introducing new ways to play some these games in the future like a ps gamepass for first party stuff or possibly repackaging more of them into remastered collections so they can resell them at full price again.

aZFJje2.gif

Gamers are gonna be really disappointed when they eventually learn that they won't even be able to use PS5's update servers and storefront in perpetuity because they're gonna be dead someday.

I've looked around the internet and don't see any recent (or useful) information.  Is there any way to take a PS4 soundtrack and copy it to USB for play outside of the PS4?  Specifically I'm talking about Infamous:  Second Son.  Since it plays in its own app I doubt I can copy it, but if I can I'd like to.

I’m really considering getting a Sinden light gun now that the HDMI mod for my PS1 supports it.  It’s been forever since I played Point Blank.

I’m really considering getting a Sinden light gun now that the HDMI mod for my PS1 supports it. It’s been forever since I played Point Blank.
I was intrigued and looked this up since I have my ps1/2 light gun games still but with that price tag, no thanks. I still have my nostalgia of the games intact and I remember that I'll only play the games for one playthrough and be done.

I was intrigued and looked this up since I have my ps1/2 light gun games still but with that price tag, no thanks. I still have my nostalgia of the games intact and I remember that I'll only play the games for one playthrough and be done.
It's definitely for hardcore light gun fans, but the price isn't that bad. It also works with emulated light gun games (and there are a ton that have never been ported to consoles or PC).

Just my 2 cents on the whole MLB The Show thing... personally dont see the issue, people always talk like game pass is so much better than PSNow but I gotta disagree. I have both and while both are good deals, I find myself using PSNow more often. The ability to stream rather than have to download is so much more convenient to me. Also this month I feel PlayStation did much better as far as games we got from PS+ and PSNow, that coupled with the 9 free games we just got, much better for me than one baseball game. But I guess thats cool if you were planning on buying The Show at release.

and you seem to be missing the point. maybe if the show  was a ps plus game or on ps now the comparison would be equal, but you are talking about sony players having to pay $70 for the game vs xbox players getting it included with a service.

This isn't a scoop by any means, but a warning to those trying to download any games you own before the PS3/PSP/Vita stores close for good.

...While your downloads will be retained, you’ll only be able to play any titles you claimed through Sony’s subscription service as long as you remain a member.

Now this isn’t an issue if you’re planning to remain subscribed for the foreseeable future, but here’s the rub: there’s no way to outright purchase titles you’ve previously claimed as part of your membership while the storefront is live, meaning if your subscription lapses after the PS Store has closed, you’ll never be able to play those titles again – unless, of course, you resubscribe.
To this day, it's so insane that this was never addressed. RIP any chances to owning any digital games you redeemed with PS+.

Can't you just make another account on your PS3 and buy them that way? Or does PS+ interfere with that, too?

Change notes for the PS App on iOS mentions a return of Wishlist for the store. Sorry if it was mentioned before, but I know a lot of people were frustrated when it went away.

And still no enabling of the high speed storage slot. :(
Which doesn't surprise me. I mean why would they enable something that was advertise as a selling point of the product? The whole "Ship it now, sell it to you on lies & we promise we'll fix it later....maybe...if we feel like it. We already have your money afterall." mantra the industry thrives on worked so well for games why not apply it to hardware.

Which doesn't surprise me. I mean why would they enable something that was advertise as a selling point of the product? The whole "Ship it now, sell it to you on lies & we promise we'll fix it later....maybe...if we feel like it. We already have your money afterall." mantra the industry thrives on worked so well for games why not apply it to hardware.
This basically sums up the entire state of gaming. We are heading to the day one patch being the game in its entirety. Get something half functional on disc and ship it. We will try to have it working by release day...

• Cross-generation Share Play. PS4 and PS5 players can now Share Play together while chatting in parties. This means PS5 console users can let their friends on PS4 consoles view their game screen, or even try out the PS5 games through Share Play, and vice versa. Options include the ability to share your screen with a friend, pass your controller virtually to a friend, or pass a second controller virtually to play co-op games together.
  • Game Update Pre-download. Once it’s enabled by developers, title updates for games will pre-download to your console if the “automatic updates” setting is enabled and your console is on or in rest mode. This will let you start playing the latest version of a game immediately after the update’s release.
Very nice.

I also recommend you do the downloading of your stuff now and figuring out what you want from the PS3/Vita stores. Navigating the slow PS3 store blows, I had to enable 2 factor authentication to even get games downloading out of an error, and I know I don't have enough space for all of them. I'm going to back up my currently pretty full ps3 state, blow up what's on it, and then fill it up at max and just go with that. I think that's enough for the PS3 games I still want to play not on other platforms digitally, as well as some ps2/ps1 classics. I recommend trying out some of these older games. So far the PS1 ones I've played are not holding up amazingly (Herc's Adventures pretty meh other than the graphics, Tomba isn't too bad but the floaty floaty jumping is driving me nuts...I beat this a bunch back in the day so likely giving up). For PS2 I've only given up Ratchet Deadlocked so far. Never played this one back in the day, and it just feels like a pretty average arena shooter. I prefer my Ratchet and Clank games to have worlds to explore.

I can't even get my PS3 to connect online, I keep getting DNS errors. I've tried changing the DNS settings but that doesn't work. If I get lazy and don't figure that out in time atleast I have most everything I want. I only have a handful of non essential PS1/2 classics I was thinking of grabbing.

Perfect, and surely the list will be restored, right?? :roll:
The Wishlist feature has already been restored to the webstore since about a week or two ago. It does not import from the old store's list, rather it shares the same list as the one on the PS5 console.

bread's done
Back